From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Hero heatsinks vs Gigabyte AORUS X670E
XTREME heatsinks
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2022 02:34:38 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 2 Oct 2022 06:34 UTC

On 10/1/2022 10:07 PM, Skybuck Flying wrote:
> This motherboard has some very special looking heatsink/heatfins.
>
> They seem to be very big and fat, maybe dust resistent.
>
> But do these things actually give off heat ? How does that work ?
>
> https://tweakers.net/i/rY3PXWGVqHCms0zM1-5ZXT9bZZ4=/i/2005375488.png
>
> Compare that to the heatsinks of gigabyte
>
> https://tweakers.net/i/9HSgMr_vtmHkJUEHEoLApHpHeGU=/i/2005336284.png
>
> Now the heatsinks of gigabyte are more of the classic kind lots of thin fins.
>
> The down side to these thin fins it will collect a huge ammount of dust over one or two months and then it gets clogged up... especially if the fins are going with the flow of the air... cause then dust goes inside of it and against it/the tunnels in the front fill up with a carpet...
>
> Anyway my main question is with HERO, how the hell does that heatsink work with those big fins ??? Is it just for looks or is it something special, or special materal or does it have tiny little fins hidden under it or something ???
>
> Bye for now,
> Skybuck.

The first heatsink is a "passive", expecting the air velocity of
convection cooling. Of course it does not cool. To cool with
convection, you need a lot more surface area. So the first one
is a cheese grater and not a heatsink. Passive cooling might
use 8mm air channels.

The Gigabyte heatsink with the fine pitch fins, expects a
pressurized airflow. A "blow down" cooler, which is not all
that common for enthusiast coolers, uses that. The pitch on
the Gigabyte is so fine, it's going to need dust cleaning
after a year of usage.

The mid-range AMD processors, come with their own cooler. It's
a Wraith. And, it blows downwards. This makes the Gigabyte perfect
for cheaper processors that have come with a Wraith. The Wraith
could blow air through those fine fins.

Most high end air coolers, blow air sideways (so the Gigabyte
heatsink would get no airflow from it). I'm partial to
blow-down coolers, just for their ability to cool the VCore (when
such cooling is needed). My current motherboard with the Wraith
on it, the VCore is lukewarm and there is really no need for
a blow-down cooler there.

But if you were running a 230W processor on a cheap motherboard,
I would be very careful about my selection of CPU coolers to use
with it. AMD does not include a Wraith with their expensive processors,
because the Wraith is a good match for 65W processors like mine.
A 230W processor, that's Noctua-country.

If you went with a liquid cooling loop, then there would
be no blow-down airflow either. You could add a case fan, in
the neighborhood, to fix that, but you'll need to make your
own arm to hold the fan. They've made fan-arms in the past,
but these days, I would have trouble finding one.

When you do a build, you stick your finger on the VCore to
see if it's getting hot. Run a program to heat the processor,
and check the VCore sink again. I turned off Turbo on my
other machine, because VCore got so hot. The heatsink gets
hot if I run 7ZIP.