From: bowman@montana.com (rbowman)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Don't use VSCode
Date: 25 Jan 2024 04:57:02 GMT
 by: rbowman - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 04:57 UTC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUovhZYNO-M

This was in the list of videos under Lunduke's. After outlining all the
reasons I use VSCode he gives some vague reasons why you shouldn't and
winds up demoing his use of ssh and tmux. While I use ssh (putty actually)
to our build machine, I'll pass.

Re: Don't use VSCode

<vsn4ri98q4m8jddov71in4okvm4csi6uk5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8519&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#8519

From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Don't use VSCode
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 08:19:00 -0500
 by: Joel - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 13:19 UTC

rbowman <bowman@montana.com> wrote:

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUovhZYNO-M
>
>This was in the list of videos under Lunduke's. After outlining all the
>reasons I use VSCode he gives some vague reasons why you shouldn't and
>winds up demoing his use of ssh and tmux. While I use ssh (putty actually)
>to our build machine, I'll pass.

Putty is unnecessary, PowerShell or just the NT command line have SSH,
just as Linux does.

--
Joel W. Crump

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

[...] No state shall make or enforce any law which shall
abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the
United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of
life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;
nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal
protection of the laws.

Dobbs rewrites this, it is invalid precedent. States are
liable for denying needed abortions, e.g. TX.

Re: Don't use VSCode

<uotoh9$2anoj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8520&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#8520

From: OFeem1987@teleworm.us (Chris Ahlstrom)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 08:43:04 -0500
 by: Chris Ahlstrom - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 13:43 UTC

rbowman wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUovhZYNO-M
>
> This was in the list of videos under Lunduke's. After outlining all the
> reasons I use VSCode he gives some vague reasons why you shouldn't and
> winds up demoing his use of ssh and tmux. While I use ssh (putty actually)
> to our build machine, I'll pass.

tmux is awesome! (The GNU alternative is called "screen").

Besides handling multiple terminals in one terminal window, it allows you to
start a long job, detach, travel, and then re-attach to the job at another
location.

--
In the plot, people came to the land; the land loved them; they worked and
struggled and had lots of children. There was a Frenchman who talked funny

Use what you like - VS Code is a good choice (was Re: Don't use VSCode)

<VNusN.255928$Wp_8.15655@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8530&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#8530

Subject: Use what you like - VS Code is a good choice (was Re: Don't use
VSCode)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: nospam@dfs.com (DFS)
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 10:06:37 -0500
 by: DFS - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 15:06 UTC

On 1/24/2024 11:57 PM, rbowman wrote:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUovhZYNO-M
>
> This was in the list of videos under Lunduke's. After outlining all the
> reasons I use VSCode he gives some vague reasons why you shouldn't and
> winds up demoing his use of ssh and tmux. While I use ssh (putty actually)
> to our build machine, I'll pass.

One comment is spot on:

"One of the least things I worry about is what IDE should I use."

Re: Don't use VSCode

<upnbe8$3i0cg$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9152&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9152

From: ldo@nz.invalid (Lawrence D'Oliveiro)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 06:39:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lawrence D'Oliv - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 06:39 UTC

Microsoft had their own perfectly good (?) managed-code framework in
Dotnet, yet they had to abandon that and use Electron (Chromium engine +
TypeScript/JavaScript) for Visual Studio Code instead.

What kind of vote of confidence in their own technology is that?