From: NoEMail@home.org (root)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: pulseaudio insanity
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 21:19:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: root - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 21:19 UTC

My sound problems began when I updated my system with slackpkg.
It seems that pulseaudio has intruded into my system. However,
even when I disable pulseaudio I still have no sound. Today
I have now spent over four hours trying to get something
out of pulseaudio. I can get pactl commands to work and
pactl info gives me:

Server String: /var/run/pulse/native
Library Protocol Version: 31
Server Protocol Version: 31
Is Local: yes
Client Index: 0
Tile Size: 65472
User Name: pulse
Host Name: torr
Server Name: pulseaudio
Server Version: 9.0-rebootstrapped
Default Sample Specification: s16le 2ch 44100Hz
Default Channel Map: front-left,front-right
Default Sink: alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo
Default Source: alsa_input.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo
Cookie: 8c6f:cf2f

There is where my sound problems arise: pulseaudio sends
my output to analog-stereo.

So I want to change that to hdmi output which used
to be alsa:device=plughw=1.3

I need to run pacmd list-sinks to find what
is available, but the pacmd command yields:

No PulseAudio daemon running, or not running as session daemon.

Well the daemon is running so pacmd is broken.

I hope to be able to /etc/pulse/client.conf to
set the default-sink to something that functions
like the alsa:device=plughw=1.3. I can't
find any examples.

WTF?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Re: pulseaudio insanity

<sskhhu$l87$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=904&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#904

From: NoEMail@home.org (root)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: pulseaudio insanity
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 21:32:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: root - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 21:32 UTC

root <NoEMail@home.org> wrote:
> My sound problems began when I updated my system with slackpkg.
> It seems that pulseaudio has intruded into my system. However,
> even when I disable pulseaudio I still have no sound. Today
> I have now spent over four hours trying to get something
> out of pulseaudio. I can get pactl commands to work and
> pactl info gives me:
>
> Server String: /var/run/pulse/native
> Library Protocol Version: 31
> Server Protocol Version: 31
> Is Local: yes
> Client Index: 0
> Tile Size: 65472
> User Name: pulse
> Host Name: torr
> Server Name: pulseaudio
> Server Version: 9.0-rebootstrapped
> Default Sample Specification: s16le 2ch 44100Hz
> Default Channel Map: front-left,front-right
> Default Sink: alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo
> Default Source: alsa_input.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo
> Cookie: 8c6f:cf2f
>
> There is where my sound problems arise: pulseaudio sends
> my output to analog-stereo.
>
> So I want to change that to hdmi output which used
> to be alsa:device=plughw=1.3
>
> I need to run pacmd list-sinks to find what
> is available, but the pacmd command yields:
>
> No PulseAudio daemon running, or not running as session daemon.
>
> Well the daemon is running so pacmd is broken.
>
> I hope to be able to /etc/pulse/client.conf to
> set the default-sink to something that functions
> like the alsa:device=plughw=1.3. I can't
> find any examples.
>
> WTF?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.

I have made a breakthrough. If I manually start pulseaudio & I
get the followin error message:

Failed to load module "module-alsa-sink" argument: device = hw: 1,7" initialization failed.

I need to change the argument to device = hw: 1,3

Any ideas of where the command comes from and how to change it?

Re: pulseaudio insanity

<sski4p$ovs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=905&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#905

From: NoEMail@home.org (root)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 21:42:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: root - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 21:42 UTC

root <NoEMail@home.org> wrote:
> root <NoEMail@home.org> wrote:
>> My sound problems began when I updated my system with slackpkg.
>> It seems that pulseaudio has intruded into my system. However,
>> even when I disable pulseaudio I still have no sound. Today
>> I have now spent over four hours trying to get something
>> out of pulseaudio. I can get pactl commands to work and
>> pactl info gives me:
>>
>> Server String: /var/run/pulse/native
>> Library Protocol Version: 31
>> Server Protocol Version: 31
>> Is Local: yes
>> Client Index: 0
>> Tile Size: 65472
>> User Name: pulse
>> Host Name: torr
>> Server Name: pulseaudio
>> Server Version: 9.0-rebootstrapped
>> Default Sample Specification: s16le 2ch 44100Hz
>> Default Channel Map: front-left,front-right
>> Default Sink: alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo
>> Default Source: alsa_input.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo
>> Cookie: 8c6f:cf2f
>>
>> There is where my sound problems arise: pulseaudio sends
>> my output to analog-stereo.
>>
>> So I want to change that to hdmi output which used
>> to be alsa:device=plughw=1.3
>>
>> I need to run pacmd list-sinks to find what
>> is available, but the pacmd command yields:
>>
>> No PulseAudio daemon running, or not running as session daemon.
>>
>> Well the daemon is running so pacmd is broken.
>>
>> I hope to be able to /etc/pulse/client.conf to
>> set the default-sink to something that functions
>> like the alsa:device=plughw=1.3. I can't
>> find any examples.
>>
>> WTF?
>>
>> Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> I have made a breakthrough. If I manually start pulseaudio & I
> get the followin error message:
>
> Failed to load module "module-alsa-sink" argument: device = hw: 1,7" initialization failed.
>
> I need to change the argument to device = hw: 1,3
>
> Any ideas of where the command comes from and how to change it?

OK, I found that the load module command was defined in
/etc/pulse/default.pa:
load-module module-alsa-sink device = hw: 1,3

Which was 1,7. The module still fails to load.