From: address@not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Subject: Brother HL 1450 driver problem (crashes the printer subsystem)
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2021 10:54:49 +0200
 by: R.Wieser - Sun, 27 Jun 2021 08:54 UTC

Hello all,

I've got a Brother HL 1450 b/w laser printer, and thought it would be a good
idea to connect it to my current XP 'puter. As such it seems to print OK.

The thing is that *every time* I boot my 'puter it complained about missing
drivers for that printer. :-\

I thought I could solve that by installing Brothers' own drivers for the
printer, but all it got me was an unstable printer subsystem which caused
crashes - even at times the printer wasn't even powered up! And when that
happens you cannot even uninstall the malfunctioning driver (had to do some
filesystem and registry deleting to get rid of it). :-(

So, that idea goes outof the window.

But now I'm stuck with a 'puter which does not want to add the printer
anymore, as everytime I try it puts up a "Complete the Add Printer Wizard"
dialog, demanding (can't skip) that I install the driver DLLs and
executables which caused the instability. :-(

tl;dr:
How do I do a *minimal* install of my Brother HL-1450 printer. As in:
Without the slew of DLLs and executables which make the printer subsytem
unstable.

I'm willing-and-able to extract the files from the install package
(140engc2.exe) and edit the INI files.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: Brother HL 1450 driver problem (crashes the printer subsystem)

<sbb702$1n4a$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=899&group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general#899

From: JT@spam-me-not.invalid (JT)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 01:00:50 +0000 (UTC)
 by: JT - Mon, 28 Jun 2021 01:00 UTC

R.Wieser wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I've got a Brother HL 1450 b/w laser printer, and thought it would be a good
> idea to connect it to my current XP 'puter. As such it seems to print OK.
>
> The thing is that *every time* I boot my 'puter it complained about missing
> drivers for that printer. :-\
>
> I thought I could solve that by installing Brothers' own drivers for the printer, but all it got me was an unstable printer subsystem which caused crashes - even at times the printer wasn't even powered up! And when that happens you cannot even uninstall the malfunctioning driver (had to do some filesystem and registry deleting to get rid of it). :-(
>
> So, that idea goes outof the window.
>
> But now I'm stuck with a 'puter which does not want to add the printer anymore, as everytime I try it puts up a "Complete the Add Printer Wizard" dialog, demanding (can't skip) that I install the driver DLLs and executables which caused the instability. :-(
>
> tl;dr:
> How do I do a minimal install of my Brother HL-1450 printer. As in: Without the slew of DLLs and executables which make the printer subsytem unstable.
>
> I'm willing-and-able to extract the files from the install package (140engc2.exe) and edit the INI files.
>
> Regards,
> Rudy Wieser

Rudy,

On Brothers website they also offer just the PCL driver.

I'm assuming you have the full driver and software package.

The PCL driver can be found here:

https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=hl1450_all&os=7

Its the second option.

Just a guess...

JT

--

Re: Brother HL 1450 driver problem (crashes the printer subsystem)

<sbc00n$69t$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=900&group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general#900

From: address@not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 10:07:43 +0200
 by: R.Wieser - Mon, 28 Jun 2021 08:07 UTC

JT,

> On Brothers website they also offer just the PCL driver.

:-) Thats the one I installed (140engc2). Even "just" that PCL driver
consist outof quite a number of DLLs and executables.

> I'm assuming you have the full driver and software package.

At the time I downloaded both but never bothered to try to install the
"full" package, as it will likely include lots of junk (auto-updaters and
the lot) that I have no use for.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser