From: hexagonwin@disroot.org (Yuchan Seo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Subject: An extension for Vim-style keybinding
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 16:02:43 +0900
 by: Yuchan Seo - Wed, 16 Aug 2023 07:02 UTC
Attachments: "vimium-1.36-fx.xpi" (application/x-xpinstall)

I have used SeaMonkey for quite a long time, recently I used a few
extensions for VIM-like keybindings on some other browsers and decided
it would be nice to have the feature on SM as well.
There were a few extensions for this available on the Classic Add-ons
Archive, including Vimium and VimFx, Vimperator. I wasn't able to get
VimFx working and Vimium by Minoru was pretty simple so I used it as the
base.

So far I have added a few more keyboard shortcuts and applied a patch[1]
to fix a minor bug where the keyboard bindings are also activated from
the address bar. The keyboard shortcuts are as the following (Mostly
copied from philc's Vimium) :

H : Go back in history
L : Go forward in history
K : Go one tab right
J : Go one tab left
t : Create new tab
x : Close current tab
X : Restore closed tab
j : Scroll down
k : Scroll up
h : Scroll left
l : Scroll right
gg : Scroll to the top of the page
G : Scroll to the bottom of the page
u : Scroll a half page (actually bit more) up
d : Scroll a half page (actually bit more) down
f : Open a link in the current tab
F : Open a link in a new tab[2]
r : Reload the page
gs : View page source
yy : Copy the current URL to the clipboard
yf : Copy link URL to the clipboard
D : Duplicate current tab

Additionally, I was unable to find a method to open a plain new tab, and
as I'm using the extension "Speed Dial & Start Page"[3] I hardcoded the
URL for this extension's new tab onto the 't' key's command. To change
this you can modify the 'overlay.js' file inside the unpacked
extension's 'content' folder.

You can download this from the attachment or 0x0.st[4].

I haven't done much, but after using this my mouse usage significantly
dropped and my wrist got better (haha) so I just wanted to share,
hopefully someone else also finds a use for this.

[1]:
https://github.com/kYuZz/firefox-vimium/commit/f14a8f5e49c90420d8d9b5431fc987918c6964f8
[2]: Depending on SM's configuration you may not get switched to the new
tab. To change this behavior navigate to "Edit -> Preferences -> Browser
-> Tabbed Browsing" and check "Switch to new tabs opened from links".
[3]: https://github.com/JustOff/speed-start
[4]: http://0x0.st/HLAC.xpi

Attachments: "vimium-1.36-fx.xpi" (application/x-xpinstall)
Re: An extension for Vim-style keybinding

<ukhDM.55150$fRmf.2390@fx02.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=895&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#895

Subject: Re: An extension for Vim-style keybinding
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
From: dave.r.yeo@gmail.com (Dave Yeo)
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 21:27:06 -0700
 by: Dave Yeo - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 04:27 UTC

Yuchan Seo wrote:
> Additionally, I was unable to find a method to open a plain new tab

Use about:blank for the URL
Interesting project
Dave

Re: An extension for Vim-style keybinding

<ubkpsn$3nrd6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=896&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#896

From: hexagonwin@disroot.org (Yuchan Seo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 09:39:34 +0900
 by: Yuchan Seo - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 00:39 UTC

Dave Yeo wrote:
> Yuchan Seo wrote:
>> Additionally, I was unable to find a method to open a plain new tab
>
> Use about:blank for the URL
> Interesting project
> Dave
Thanks, that is a good idea but that somehow opens about:blank even when
I have that New Tab extension installed. Would be great to find another
way to properly open the user's new tab page or maybe make a preference
option but I don't have much knowledge about that..