This login session: $13.99

computers / news.software.readers / Graity 3.0.11

SubjectAuthor
* Graity 3.0.11Stan Brown
+* Gravity 3.0.11Stan Brown
|+* Re: Gravity 3.0.11Gronk
||+* Re: Gravity 3.0.11Gronk
|||`- Re: Gravity 3.0.11Rink
||`* Re: Gravity 3.0.11Stan Brown
|| `* Re: Gravity 3.0.11Thomas
||  `- Re: Gravity 3.0.11issdr
|`- Re: Gravity 3.0.11Lafe
`* Re: Graity 3.0.11LaLibreParole
 `- Re: Graity 3.0.11LaLibreParole

1
Graity 3.0.11

<MPG.3c9d3d1c604ff8ac98fed8@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=872&group=news.software.readers#872

From: the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader,news.software.readers
Subject: Graity 3.0.11
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 13:42:42 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 20:42 UTC

A note for Gravity users who may not be aware of this:(*)

GRC (Gibson Research, home of Shields Up!) has issued a new 3.0.11
version of Gravity. Among other things, it fixes the bug where quoted
lines are broken if they happen to be longer than your preferred line
length.

Download: <https://www.grc.com/discussions.htm>
Partial revision history: <https://www.grc.com/groups/news>

(*) If this is old news to you, I apologize. I found out about it
only by accident last weekend: I was searching for something else but
this came up in the results. For years I'd been cursing that
particular bug in 3.0.4 but didn't know anyone was still working om
Gravity.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Gravity 3.0.11

<MPG.3c9d6f4b932b0f7298fed9@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=873&group=news.software.readers#873

From: the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader,news.software.readers
Subject: Gravity 3.0.11
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 17:16:44 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 00:16 UTC

Argggh! I really wish Gravity would spellcheck the article subject
line, because I often forget to. I'm reposting with the correct
subject, for the benefit of anyone who has a rule set up involving
"Gravity".

A note for Gravity users who may not be aware of this:(*)

GRC (Gibson Research, home of Shields Up!) has issued a new 3.0.11
version of Gravity. Among other things, it fixes the bug where quoted
lines are broken if they happen to be longer than your preferred line
length.

Download: <https://www.grc.com/discussions.htm>
Partial revision history: <https://www.grc.com/groups/news>

(*) If this is old news to you, I apologize. I found out about it
only by accident last weekend: I was searching for something else but
this came up in the results. For years I'd been cursing that
particular bug in 3.0.4 but didn't know anyone was still working om
Gravity.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Gravity 3.0.11

<t10pld$208se$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=874&group=news.software.readers#874

From: invalid@invalid.invalid (Gronk)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader,news.software.readers
Subject: Re: Gravity 3.0.11
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 20:09:50 -0600
 by: Gronk - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 02:09 UTC

Stan Brown wrote:

> GRC (Gibson Research, home of Shields Up!) has issued a new 3.0.11
> version of Gravity. Among other things, it fixes the bug where quoted
> lines are broken if they happen to be longer than your preferred line
> length.

I didn't know about this newsreader so I downloaded it & will test it.
But what is all that talk on the page about it having its own news server?

<https://www.grc.com/discussions.htm>
news.grc.com:119
news.grc.com:110
news.grc.com:563 (encrypted)
news.grc.com:11911

Username = any 29 character unique passphrase
Password = the same 28 character unique passphrase

"The best Newsreader for Windows:
The best newsreader app for Windows is Gravity.
Thanks to the fact that its C++ source code was released by
its original authors, MicroPlanet, it has been kept alive on the Internet.
(The MicroPlanet Gravity newsreader project lives here at Sourceforge.)
<http://mpgravity.sourceforge.net/>

After a 10-year hiatus (it was last updated in 2010), I (Steve) decided
to pick it up and keep it current. So, GRC now offers the only
still-working version of Gravity. I am independently maintaining the source
and have published a signed executable and installer.

You can find it here:"
<https://www.grc.com/freepopular.htm>
<https://www.grc.com/files/GravitySetup.zip>
Name: GravitySetup.zip
Size: 7769566 bytes (7587 KiB)
SHA256: E42CEE03FDEB4765C81F3D46A1A3E3494862DD5C5BCBFF5418350DCE73C6D2D4

Re: Gravity 3.0.11

<t10qd2$20aeg$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=875&group=news.software.readers#875

From: invalid@invalid.invalid (Gronk)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader,news.software.readers
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 20:22:28 -0600
 by: Gronk - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 02:22 UTC

Gronk wrote:

> But what is all that talk on the page about it having its own news server?
>
> <https://www.grc.com/discussions.htm>
> news.grc.com:119
> news.grc.com:110
> news.grc.com:563 (encrypted)
> news.grc.com:11911

These are the groups that resulted from that newsserver:port setup above.

grc Very rare system-wide announcements (mostly unused)
grc.leaktest Discussion of GRC's Leaktest utilities
grc.linkfarm Repository of useful Internet links
grc.news Steve's read-only site announcement group
grc.news.feedback Feedback and discussion of Steve's news postings
grc.news.latestversions 90-day expiring chronology of latest version notices
grc.privacy Privacy topics
grc.security General security topics
grc.security.hardware Security hardware topics
grc.security.software Security software topics
grc.security.wireless Wireless security topics
grc.shieldsup GRC's Shieldsup questions and discussion
grc.spam Spam topics
grc.spinrite GRC's SpinRite utility topics
grc.spinrite.dev GRC's SpinRite utility development forum
grc.spyware Spyware topics
grc.techtalk General technical discussions
grc.techtalk.cryptography Cryptography topics
grc.techtalk.dns Domain name system topics
grc.techtalk.dns.bind_pe_beta Archive of previous discussions (now closed)
grc.techtalk.linux Linux topics
grc.techtalk.localproxies Archive of previous discussions (now closed)
grc.techtalk.packetsniffing Packetsniffing topics
grc.test Posting and cancellation testing (5-day expiration)
grc.thinktank Steve's miscellaneous project discussion area
grc.wizmo GRC's Wizmo utility topics

Re: Gravity 3.0.11

<MPG.3c9e29e9f5a88c4998feda@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=876&group=news.software.readers#876

From: the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader,news.software.readers
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 06:32:59 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 13:32 UTC

On Thu, 17 Mar 2022 20:09:50 -0600, Gronk wrote:
> But what is all that talk on the page about it having its own news server?

Gravity is a Usenet news client. There are lots of others, such as
trn and Forte Agent.

news.grc.com is a Usenet news server, with a limited selection of
newsgroups.

Any Usenet news client can connect to any Usenet news server. (Some
servers offer free accounts; others require payment.) Which server
you access determines which newsgroups you can read and respond to.
You don't choose a client based on what newsgroups it can access,
since that's the same for all clients. You choose a client based on
how you like the user interface.

Thus, there's no specific connection between using Gravity and
accessing GRC's newsgroups. The only connection is that Steve Gibson,
who owns GRC, likes Gravity and started maintaining it after the
previous maintainer stopped.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Gravity 3.0.11

<t127dk$1pq7i$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=877&group=news.software.readers#877

From: canope234@gmail.com (Thomas)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader,news.software.readers
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 08:10:45 -0700
 by: Thomas - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 15:10 UTC

On Friday, March 18, 2022 at 6:32:59 AM, Stan Brown wrote:

> The only connection is that Steve Gibson,
> who owns GRC, likes Gravity and started maintaining it after the
> previous maintainer stopped.

Is that legal?

Re: Gravity 3.0.11

<87r16z1chz.fsf@ID-313311.news.uni-berlin.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=878&group=news.software.readers#878

Followup: news.software.readers
From: p_u_n_k_i_n_d@yahoo.it (issdr)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader,news.software.readers
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 16:55:36 +0100
 by: issdr - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 15:55 UTC

Thomas wrote:

> On Friday, March 18, 2022 at 6:32:59 AM, Stan Brown wrote:
>
>> The only connection is that Steve Gibson,
>> who owns GRC, likes Gravity and started maintaining it after the
>> previous maintainer stopped.
>
> Is that legal?

yes, source code was released under an open license

Re: Graity 3.0.11

<us1a3h9eammi6b1mp8t436kvur0p29c07h@consensus-omnium>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=881&group=news.software.readers#881

From: vrai.ou.faux@laposte.net (LaLibreParole)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Subject: Re: Graity 3.0.11
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 23:32:53 +0100
 by: LaLibreParole - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 22:32 UTC

Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> composa la prose suivante:

>GRC (Gibson Research, home of Shields Up!) has issued a new 3.0.11
>version of Gravity. Among other things, it fixes the bug where quoted
>lines are broken if they happen to be longer than your preferred line
>length.
>
>Download: <https://www.grc.com/discussions.htm>
>Partial revision history: <https://www.grc.com/groups/news>

Hi, i have used Gravity in the past.
It's a good news that there is a new maintener for it.

Does the source of this newsreader remain in public domain
for the new binary version you will publish ?

Re: Graity 3.0.11

<829s3h91oiabo9t3c2s9qv0ppfdgmsa5pg@consensus-omnium>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=894&group=news.software.readers#894

From: vrai.ou.faux@laposte.net (LaLibreParole)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 21:21:34 +0100
 by: LaLibreParole - Fri, 25 Mar 2022 20:21 UTC

LaLibreParole <vrai.ou.faux@laposte.net> composa la prose suivante:

>Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> composa la prose suivante:
>
>>GRC (Gibson Research, home of Shields Up!) has issued a new 3.0.11
>>version of Gravity. Among other things, it fixes the bug where quoted
>>lines are broken if they happen to be longer than your preferred line
>>length.
>>
>>Download: <https://www.grc.com/discussions.htm>
>>Partial revision history: <https://www.grc.com/groups/news>
>
>Hi, i have used Gravity in the past.
>It's a good news that there is a new maintener for it.
>
>Does the source of this newsreader remain in public domain
>for the new binary version you will publish ?

?

Re: Gravity 3.0.11

<MPG.3cbfd705497b4b5d989680@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=918&group=news.software.readers#918

From: lafe@lafes.invalid (Lafe)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader,news.software.readers
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2022 19:36:23 -0400
 by: Lafe - Tue, 12 Apr 2022 23:36 UTC

In article
<MPG.3c9d6f4b932b0f7298fed9news.individual.net>,
the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm says...
<snip>
> A note for Gravity users who may not be aware of this:(*)
>
> GRC (Gibson Research, home of Shields Up!) has issued a new 3.0.11
> version of Gravity. Among other things, it fixes the bug where quoted
> lines are broken if they happen to be longer than your preferred line
> length.
>
> Download: <https://www.grc.com/discussions.htm>
> Partial revision history: <https://www.grc.com/groups/news>
>
> (*) If this is old news to you, I apologize. I found out about it
> only by accident last weekend: I was searching for something else but
> this came up in the results. For years I'd been cursing that
> particular bug in 3.0.4 but didn't know anyone was still working om
> Gravity.

I had no idea that this newsreader was being
maintained. Thanks for pointing it out! I love
slrn for a console newsreader, and implementing
the scoring system.

Pan and XNews both offer a decent Windows UI,
and the same scoring system, but both are so old
now that they have frequent issues on the latest
Windows operating systems.

I'll try out this more modern build of Gravity
to see how it compares!

Lafe

Re: Gravity 3.0.11

<t3cj2a$j7p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=919&group=news.software.readers#919

From: rink.hof.haalditmaarweg@planet.nl (Rink)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader,news.software.readers
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 22:03:18 +0200
 by: Rink - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 20:03 UTC

Op 18-3-2022 om 3:22 schreef Gronk:
> Gronk wrote:
>
>> But what is all that talk on the page about it having its own news
>> server?
>>
>> <https://www.grc.com/discussions.htm>
>> news.grc.com:119
>> news.grc.com:110
>> news.grc.com:563 (encrypted)
>> news.grc.com:11911
>
> These are the groups that resulted from that newsserver:port setup above.
>
> grc                     Very rare system-wide announcements (mostly unused)
> grc.leaktest            Discussion of GRC's Leaktest utilities
> grc.linkfarm            Repository of useful Internet links
> grc.news                Steve's read-only site announcement group
> grc.news.feedback       Feedback and discussion of Steve's news postings
> grc.news.latestversions 90-day expiring chronology of latest version
> notices
> grc.privacy             Privacy topics
> grc.security            General security topics
> grc.security.hardware   Security hardware topics
> grc.security.software   Security software topics
> grc.security.wireless   Wireless security topics
> grc.shieldsup           GRC's Shieldsup questions and discussion
> grc.spam                Spam topics
> grc.spinrite            GRC's SpinRite utility topics
> grc.spinrite.dev        GRC's SpinRite utility development forum
> grc.spyware             Spyware topics
> grc.techtalk            General technical discussions
> grc.techtalk.cryptography       Cryptography topics
> grc.techtalk.dns                Domain name system topics
> grc.techtalk.dns.bind_pe_beta   Archive of previous discussions (now
> closed)
> grc.techtalk.linux              Linux topics
> grc.techtalk.localproxies       Archive of previous discussions (now
> closed)
> grc.techtalk.packetsniffing     Packetsniffing topics
> grc.test                Posting and cancellation testing (5-day expiration)
> grc.thinktank           Steve's miscellaneous project discussion area
> grc.wizmo               GRC's Wizmo utility topics

news.grc.com is the newsserver from Steve Gibson.
The newsgroups on this newsserver (grc.*) are only on his newsserver.
Several newsgroups are about Steve's software
(e.g. spinritr, sqrl and never)

You missed some newsgroups :-)

grc.beyondrecall
grc.cookies