7 May, 2024: fms is rebuilding. Don't expect much in that section for quite a few days, maybe longer.

computers / alt.os.linux.suse / Re: No camera recognition in usb port with Tumbleweed

SubjectAuthor
* No camera recognition in usb port with Tumbleweedbad sector
+* Re: No camera recognition in usb port with Tumbleweedgrinch
|+* Re: No camera recognition in usb port with TumbleweedUwe Bonnes
||`- Re: No camera recognition in usb port with TumbleweedCarlos E.R.
|`* Re: No camera recognition in usb port with Tumbleweedbad sector
| `* Re: No camera recognition in usb port with TumbleweedCarlos E.R.
|  `* Re: No camera recognition in usb port with Tumbleweedbad sector
|   `* Re: No camera recognition in usb port with TumbleweedCarlos E.R.
|    `* Re: No camera recognition in usb port with Tumbleweedbad sector
|     `- Re: No camera recognition in usb port with TumbleweedCarlos E.R.
`- Re: No camera recognition in usb port with TumbleweedCarlos E.R.

1
No camera recognition in usb port with Tumbleweed

<KMWcnQ_LJqTaoIP5nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=820&group=alt.os.linux.suse#820

Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 20:16:05 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
From: forgetski@INVALID.net (bad sector)
Subject: No camera recognition in usb port with Tumbleweed
 by: bad sector - Sat, 25 Mar 2023 00:16 UTC

With Leap-15.4 as soon as I plug-in and turn on the camera a popup asks
me if I want to... and my answers is always "show in file manager". I
can't for the life of me get this same thing going with Tumbleweed. I
plug the camera in and turn it on but NOTHING happens and clicking the
sys-tray usb icon doesn't show anything either.

Re: No camera recognition in usb port with Tumbleweed

<tvov3l$2kbct$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=821&group=alt.os.linux.suse#821

From: grinch@somewhere.net (grinch)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 09:17:56 +0100
 by: grinch - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 08:17 UTC

On 25/03/2023 00:16, bad sector wrote:

> With Leap-15.4 as soon as I plug-in and turn on the camera a popup asks
> me if I want to... and my answers is always "show in file manager". I
> can't for the life of me get this same thing going with Tumbleweed. I
> plug the camera in and turn it on but NOTHING happens and clicking the
> sys-tray usb icon doesn't show anything either.

Assuming you are using KDE go to system settings removable devices and
see if that helps ??

My Tumbleweed laptop( Thinkpad P50) refuses to see a USB stick which my
15.4 can see/use,it did not work when I had 15.4 on the laptop either so
I presume its a hardware issue.

Re: No camera recognition in usb port with Tumbleweed

<k8ai16Fcds5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=822&group=alt.os.linux.suse#822

From: bon@hertz.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de (Uwe Bonnes)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: 26 Mar 2023 09:36:38 GMT
 by: Uwe Bonnes - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 09:36 UTC

grinch <grinch@somewhere.net> wrote:
> On 25/03/2023 00:16, bad sector wrote:
>>
>> With Leap-15.4 as soon as I plug-in and turn on the camera a popup asks
>> me if I want to... and my answers is always "show in file manager". I
>> can't for the life of me get this same thing going with Tumbleweed. I
>> plug the camera in and turn it on but NOTHING happens and clicking the
>> sys-tray usb icon doesn't show anything either.
>>
> Assuming you are using KDE go to system settings removable devices and
> see if that helps ??
>
> My Tumbleweed laptop( Thinkpad P50) refuses to see a USB stick which my
> 15.4 can see/use,it did not work when I had 15.4 on the laptop either so
> I presume its a hardware issue.

First look should be with dmesg -w while you plug in the stick. If the
kernel does nor recognize the stick, the stick or connector/connection
is broken. If it is detected, but not mounted automatically, some more
settings are needed.
--
Uwe Bonnes bon@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de

Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt
--------- Tel. 06151 1623569 ------- Fax. 06151 1623305 ---------

Re: No camera recognition in usb port with Tumbleweed

<lqh5fjx0ov.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=823&group=alt.os.linux.suse#823

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 12:02:29 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 10:02 UTC

On 2023-03-26 11:36, Uwe Bonnes wrote:
> grinch <grinch@somewhere.net> wrote:
>> On 25/03/2023 00:16, bad sector wrote:
>>>
>>> With Leap-15.4 as soon as I plug-in and turn on the camera a popup asks
>>> me if I want to... and my answers is always "show in file manager". I
>>> can't for the life of me get this same thing going with Tumbleweed. I
>>> plug the camera in and turn it on but NOTHING happens and clicking the
>>> sys-tray usb icon doesn't show anything either.
>>>
>> Assuming you are using KDE go to system settings removable devices and
>> see if that helps ??
>>
>> My Tumbleweed laptop( Thinkpad P50) refuses to see a USB stick which my
>> 15.4 can see/use,it did not work when I had 15.4 on the laptop either so
>> I presume its a hardware issue.
>>
> First look should be with dmesg -w while you plug in the stick. If the
> kernel does nor recognize the stick, the stick or connector/connection
> is broken. If it is detected, but not mounted automatically, some more
> settings are needed.

I have a camera in which I have to tell it to share photos via USB
before the computer sees anything.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: No camera recognition in usb port with Tumbleweed

<ST6dnXly0KARdr35nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=824&group=alt.os.linux.suse#824

Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 21:04:12 -0400
From: forgetski@_INVALID_.net (bad sector)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
 by: bad sector - Mon, 27 Mar 2023 01:04 UTC

On 3/26/23 04:17, grinch wrote:
> On 25/03/2023 00:16, bad sector wrote:
>>
>> With Leap-15.4 as soon as I plug-in and turn on the camera a popup
>> asks me if I want to... and my answers is always "show in file
>> manager". I can't for the life of me get this same thing going with
>> Tumbleweed. I plug the camera in and turn it on but NOTHING happens
>> and clicking the sys-tray usb icon doesn't show anything either.
>>
> Assuming you are using KDE go to system settings removable devices and
> see if that helps ??
>
> My Tumbleweed laptop( Thinkpad P50) refuses to see a USB stick which my
> 15.4 can see/use,it did not work when I had 15.4 on the laptop either so
> I presume its a hardware issue.

It's SystemSetting/Hardware/RemovableDevices

In Leap-15.4 I have All-Known-Devices checked to be mounted On-Login and
On-Attach. I could also add the camera specifically (Nikon D3200) but
have had no need to do so. I'm going to reduce this to On-Attach only.
There IS a "Camera" header in the left pane and whether I like it or not
a once detected D3200 ends up inserted there.

In Tumbleweed I have All-Known-Devices unchecked except for Nikon-D3200
in the Disconnected-Devices list. This should work but doesn't. Checking
All-Known-Devices for On-Login and On-Attach as in Leap makes no
difference. There is no "Camera" header in the left pane but D3200 is
checked in the Unattached-Devices list.

Turning the camera ON while "dmesg -w"

841.027204 usb 2-2: new high-speed USB device number 9 using ehci-pci
841.184151 usb 2-2: New USB device found, idVendor=04b0, idProduct=042c,
bcdDevice= 1.03
841.184163 usb 2-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
841.184169 usb 2-2: Product: NIKON DSC D3200
841.184174 usb 2-2: Manufacturer: NIKON
841.184177 usb 2-2: SerialNumber: 000005002543

Clicking the USB icon in SysTray fills the screen with every imaginable
device in the box which I would NEVER want to mount with just a single
click ...ECXEPT the camera.

Re: No camera recognition in usb port with Tumbleweed

<up48fjx284.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=825&group=alt.os.linux.suse#825

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 11:38:38 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Mon, 27 Mar 2023 09:38 UTC

On 2023-03-27 03:04, bad sector wrote:
> On 3/26/23 04:17, grinch wrote:
>> On 25/03/2023 00:16, bad sector wrote:
>>>
>>> With Leap-15.4 as soon as I plug-in and turn on the camera a popup
>>> asks me if I want to... and my answers is always "show in file
>>> manager". I can't for the life of me get this same thing going with
>>> Tumbleweed. I plug the camera in and turn it on but NOTHING happens
>>> and clicking the sys-tray usb icon doesn't show anything either.
>>>
>> Assuming you are using KDE go to system settings removable devices and
>> see if that helps ??
>>
>> My Tumbleweed laptop( Thinkpad P50) refuses to see a USB stick which
>> my 15.4 can see/use,it did not work when I had 15.4 on the laptop
>> either so I presume its a hardware issue.
>>

> It's SystemSetting/Hardware/RemovableDevices
>
> In Leap-15.4 I have All-Known-Devices checked to be mounted On-Login and
> On-Attach. I could also add the camera specifically (Nikon D3200) but
> have had no need to do so. I'm going to reduce this to On-Attach only.
> There IS a "Camera" header in the left pane and whether I like it or not
> a once detected D3200 ends up inserted there.
>
> In Tumbleweed I have All-Known-Devices unchecked except for Nikon-D3200
> in the Disconnected-Devices list. This should work but doesn't. Checking
> All-Known-Devices for On-Login and On-Attach as in Leap makes no
> difference. There is no "Camera" header in the left pane but D3200 is
> checked in the Unattached-Devices list.
>
> Turning the camera ON while "dmesg -w"
>
> 841.027204 usb 2-2: new high-speed USB device number 9 using ehci-pci
> 841.184151 usb 2-2: New USB device found, idVendor=04b0, idProduct=042c,
> bcdDevice= 1.03
> 841.184163 usb 2-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2,
> SerialNumber=3
> 841.184169 usb 2-2: Product: NIKON DSC D3200
> 841.184174 usb 2-2: Manufacturer: NIKON
> 841.184177 usb 2-2: SerialNumber: 000005002543
>
> Clicking the USB icon in SysTray fills the screen with every imaginable
> device in the box which I would NEVER want to mount with just a single
> click ...ECXEPT the camera.

How do you connect it?

I have the D3200, and I simply do not have the cable to connect it to
the computer. I don't think I ever had it.

I have always extracted the card, and put that on a card reader.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: No camera recognition in usb port with Tumbleweed

<-x2dnUtkgcv80b_5nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=830&group=alt.os.linux.suse#830

Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 22:09:36 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
From: forgetski@INVALID.net (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 02:09 UTC

On 3/27/23 05:38, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2023-03-27 03:04, bad sector wrote:

>>> Assuming you are using KDE go to system settings removable devices
>>> and see if that helps ??
>>>
>>> My Tumbleweed laptop( Thinkpad P50) refuses to see a USB stick which
>>> my 15.4 can see/use,it did not work when I had 15.4 on the laptop
>>> either so I presume its a hardware issue.
>>>

>> It's SystemSetting/Hardware/RemovableDevices
>>
>> In Leap-15.4 I have All-Known-Devices checked to be mounted On-Login
>> and On-Attach. I could also add the camera specifically (Nikon D3200)
>> but have had no need to do so. I'm going to reduce this to On-Attach
>> only. There IS a "Camera" header in the left pane and whether I like
>> it or not a once detected D3200 ends up inserted there.
>>
>> In Tumbleweed I have All-Known-Devices unchecked except for
>> Nikon-D3200 in the Disconnected-Devices list. This should work but
>> doesn't. Checking All-Known-Devices for On-Login and On-Attach as in
>> Leap makes no difference. There is no "Camera" header in the left pane
>> but D3200 is checked in the Unattached-Devices list.
>>
>> Turning the camera ON while "dmesg -w"
>>
>> 841.027204 usb 2-2: new high-speed USB device number 9 using ehci-pci
>> 841.184151 usb 2-2: New USB device found, idVendor=04b0,
>> idProduct=042c, bcdDevice= 1.03
>> 841.184163 usb 2-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2,
>> SerialNumber=3
>> 841.184169 usb 2-2: Product: NIKON DSC D3200
>> 841.184174 usb 2-2: Manufacturer: NIKON
>> 841.184177 usb 2-2: SerialNumber: 000005002543
>>
>> Clicking the USB icon in SysTray fills the screen with every
>> imaginable device in the box which I would NEVER want to mount with
>> just a single click ...ECXEPT the camera.
>>

> How do you connect it?
>
> I have the D3200, and I simply do not have the cable to connect it to
> the computer. I don't think I ever had it.

It's just a USB-2-microUSB I got somewhere else. PLug it into a USB port
and the camera shows up when you turn it ON, except in TW.

> I have always extracted the card, and put that on a card reader.

That's what I used to do and at that level life was easy with it being
just a usb device that would show with fdisk... then mount and etc.

But then my card reader took a royal dump and I've been waiting with new
hardware because the entire steam-tower will soon have to go :-)

I really should get me another card reader

Re: No camera recognition in usb port with Tumbleweed

<6g7ofjxdb.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=868&group=alt.os.linux.suse#868

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2023 14:02:46 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 12:02 UTC

On 2023-03-28 04:09, bad sector wrote:
> On 3/27/23 05:38, Carlos E.R. wrote:

>>> It's SystemSetting/Hardware/RemovableDevices
>>>
>>> In Leap-15.4 I have All-Known-Devices checked to be mounted On-Login
>>> and On-Attach. I could also add the camera specifically (Nikon D3200)
>>> but have had no need to do so. I'm going to reduce this to On-Attach
>>> only. There IS a "Camera" header in the left pane and whether I like
>>> it or not a once detected D3200 ends up inserted there.
>>>
>>> In Tumbleweed I have All-Known-Devices unchecked except for
>>> Nikon-D3200 in the Disconnected-Devices list. This should work but
>>> doesn't. Checking All-Known-Devices for On-Login and On-Attach as in
>>> Leap makes no difference. There is no "Camera" header in the left
>>> pane but D3200 is checked in the Unattached-Devices list.
>>>
>>> Turning the camera ON while "dmesg -w"
>>>
>>> 841.027204 usb 2-2: new high-speed USB device number 9 using ehci-pci
>>> 841.184151 usb 2-2: New USB device found, idVendor=04b0,
>>> idProduct=042c, bcdDevice= 1.03
>>> 841.184163 usb 2-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2,
>>> SerialNumber=3
>>> 841.184169 usb 2-2: Product: NIKON DSC D3200
>>> 841.184174 usb 2-2: Manufacturer: NIKON
>>> 841.184177 usb 2-2: SerialNumber: 000005002543
>>>
>>> Clicking the USB icon in SysTray fills the screen with every
>>> imaginable device in the box which I would NEVER want to mount with
>>> just a single click ...ECXEPT the camera.
>>>

>> How do you connect it?
>>
>> I have the D3200, and I simply do not have the cable to connect it to
>> the computer. I don't think I ever had it.
>
> It's just a USB-2-microUSB I got somewhere else. PLug it into a USB port
> and the camera shows up when you turn it ON, except in TW.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lf5KC9E6YJtjhfQ79
https://photos.app.goo.gl/pW9iVi9Ugj3wGfkX7

That's a micro-usb cable on the photo, and it doesn't fit in any of my
D3200 sockets.

There is what I think is a mini-usb socket, the second counting from the
top. Huh, not mini-usb, I just tried.

The manual confirms it is USB and A/V connector. The manual also says to
use an "USB UC-E17" cable, provided. I must have lost it, which probably
means I considered it of no use.

It is this one:

https://www.amazon.es/dp/B009KT3VDU

I now remember that the camera did not charge from this cable; on the
contrary, it used battery. That's the (a) reason I stopped using it.

B mini type.

I must have stored it somewhere appropriate, then forgot.

>> I have always extracted the card, and put that on a card reader.
>
> That's what I used to do and at that level life was easy with it being
> just a usb device that would show with fdisk... then mount and etc.
>
> But then my card reader took a royal dump and I've been waiting with new
> hardware because the entire steam-tower will soon have to go :-)
>
> I really should get me another card reader

Yep.

I have a Trascend TS-RDF8K

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: No camera recognition in usb port with Tumbleweed

<gi7ofjxdb.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=869&group=alt.os.linux.suse#869

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2023 14:04:00 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 12:04 UTC

On 2023-03-25 01:16, bad sector wrote:

> With Leap-15.4 as soon as I plug-in and turn on the camera a popup asks
> me if I want to... and my answers is always "show in file manager". I
> can't for the life of me get this same thing going with Tumbleweed. I
> plug the camera in and turn it on but NOTHING happens and clicking the
> sys-tray usb icon doesn't show anything either.

Well, you know what you have to do: report in Bugzilla.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: No camera recognition in usb port with Tumbleweed

<tMudnSW-h6OATrT5nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=870&group=alt.os.linux.suse#870

Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2023 15:10:20 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
From: forgetski@INVALID.net (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 19:10 UTC

On 4/2/23 08:02, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2023-03-28 04:09, bad sector wrote:

> The manual confirms it is USB and A/V connector. The manual also says to
> use an "USB UC-E17" cable, provided. I must have lost it, which probably
> means I considered it of no use.
>
> It is this one:
>
> https://www.amazon.es/dp/B009KT3VDU
>
> I now remember that the camera did not charge from this cable; on the
> contrary, it used battery. That's the (a) reason I stopped using it.
>
> B mini type.

ok, B-Mini, so be it

that's the one and it works ....but only when it does :-)

I preferred the spanish mounting method (Emanual) back in the day when
everything connected would show up with fdisk. I would just do "fdisk
-l" and click on my own menu thingie in the left deskbar to mount it
with two or three clicks under its dedicated mountpoint /0/kodak-card

https://i.imgur.com/kUg7w8Z.png

It was the MOST USEFUL thing kde ever came up with, don't remember
exactly what it was called. Later Quick-Access came along but it's not
even close. I even used it to boot the next desired system with the
above 3 clicks.

Half the usb stuff don't even show up anymore with fdisk and the kde
menu thingie was killed 20 years ago never to be replaced with anything
similar. As per McLuhan the medium WAS the message, the real folder and
script file names or links populated the display.

>> I really should get me another card reader
>
> Yep.
>
> I have a Trascend TS-RDF8K

I have to re-evaluate strategy to replace/not my former floppy bay
reader, seeing that my whole box is in dire need of a garbage-dump.
I don't think there's a single square inch of it that haven't already
hacked* open with metal-shears.

* the real and original meaning of computer hacking was about hardware.

Re: No camera recognition in usb port with Tumbleweed

<fv2pfjx34m.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=871&group=alt.os.linux.suse#871

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2023 21:51:43 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 19:51 UTC

On 2023-04-02 21:10, bad sector wrote:
> On 4/2/23 08:02, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>> On 2023-03-28 04:09, bad sector wrote:
>
>> The manual confirms it is USB and A/V connector. The manual also says
>> to use an "USB UC-E17" cable, provided. I must have lost it, which
>> probably means I considered it of no use.
>>
>> It is this one:
>>
>> https://www.amazon.es/dp/B009KT3VDU
>>
>> I now remember that the camera did not charge from this cable; on the
>> contrary, it used battery. That's the (a) reason I stopped using it.
>>
>> B mini type.
>
> ok, B-Mini, so be it
>
> that's the one and it works ....but only when it does :-)
>
> I preferred the spanish mounting method (Emanual) back in the day when
> everything connected would show up with fdisk. I would just do "fdisk
> -l" and click on my own menu thingie in the left deskbar to mount it
> with two or three clicks under its dedicated mountpoint /0/kodak-card
>
> https://i.imgur.com/kUg7w8Z.png
>
> It was the MOST USEFUL thing kde ever came up with, don't remember
> exactly what it was called. Later Quick-Access came along but it's not
> even close. I even used it to boot the next desired system with the
> above 3 clicks.
>
> Half the usb stuff don't even show up anymore with fdisk and the kde
> menu thingie was killed 20 years ago never to be replaced with anything
> similar. As per McLuhan the medium WAS the message, the real folder and
> script file names or links populated the display.

Everything that is actually an storage device on USB bus appears for me
using "fdisk -l". Notice that a mobile phone connected via usb is not an
storage device. A modern camera possibly isn't, either.