From: this@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.usenet
Subject: Re: Privacy question
Date: 5 Mar 2022 19:23:48 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Sat, 5 Mar 2022 19:23 UTC

hey joe <heyjoe@mail.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Quick question, and I apologize if this isn't the correct place to
> post this, but I hope I can get a response here. When posting on text
> usenet groups, is your IP address or any other personally identifiable
> information stored in the posts or threads you create? I'm using the
> Forte Agent client, and I haven't seen such specifics, but that
> doesn't necessarily mean other clients can't pull this information.
>
> Any clarification is greatly appreciated, and again, I apologize if
> this is posted in the wrong group.

Putting IP address and similar identifying information in the headers
of your post is normally determined by your News provider - i.e. in your
case probably newshosting.com -, not by your newsreader (Forte Agent).

I've checked the headers of your post and there is no personally
identifiable information in them.

In case you don't know how to show your headers, here's a copy as they
are on my News server:

From: hey joe <heyjoe@mail.com>
Newsgroups: alt.fan.usenet
Subject: Privacy question
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2022 11:06:38 -0600

N.B. The content of the 'Path:' header depends on the originating
(your) and receiving (mine) News servers and the path the post took to
get from there to here.

N.B.2. news.software.readers is a more appropriate group, but as far
as I'm concerned, this group is fine as well.

Hope this helps.

computers / alt.fan.usenet / Re: Privacy question