From: buzz_mccool@yahoo.com (Buzz McCool)
Newsgroups: comp.arch.embedded
Subject: eMMC CSD Register ECC field
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2022 17:54:16 -0700
 by: Buzz McCool - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 00:54 UTC

Anyone here knowledgeable about eMMC memory?

I have a high reliability application where there is concern about
memory corruption. What would happen if I changed the ECC field in the
eMMC's Card Specific Data (CSD) register from the default no ECC to the
optional BCH(542,512) encoding? Would I still be able to write/read new
values to the eMMC normally with the eMMC internally protecting the
contents with BCH ECC at the cost of reduced memory capacity, or would a
special driver on the host be needed to encode/decode ECC reads/writes?

I've asked around and haven't found a definitive answer so far. Let me
know if you can help ... Buzz

Re: eMMC CSD Register ECC field

<76b0acc1-8392-2852-61a7-458cc393d515@indes.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=861&group=comp.arch.embedded#861

From: sp4mtr4p.boudewijn@indes.com (Boudewijn Dijkstra)
Newsgroups: comp.arch.embedded
Subject: Re: eMMC CSD Register ECC field
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2022 16:06:40 +0200
 by: Boudewijn Dijkstra - Thu, 9 Jun 2022 14:06 UTC

Buzz McCool schreef:
> Anyone here knowledgeable about eMMC memory?
>
> I have a high reliability application where there is concern about
> memory corruption. What would happen if I changed the ECC field in the
> eMMC's Card Specific Data (CSD) register from the default no ECC to the
> optional BCH(542,512) encoding? Would I still be able to write/read new
> values to the eMMC normally with the eMMC internally protecting the
> contents with BCH ECC at the cost of reduced memory capacity, or would a
> special driver on the host be needed to encode/decode ECC reads/writes?
>
> I've asked around and haven't found a definitive answer so far. Let me
> know if you can help ... Buzz

Asked around? Why not consult the standard? From there I gather that
eMMC devices may implement internal ECC (that is why the DEVICE_ECC_
FAILED status exists) and that the "ECC" configuration field may be used
for external ECC. If nonzero, your driver should handle the ECC
encoding/decoding.

--
(remove the obvious prefix to reply directly)