From: me@sc1f1dan.com (Daniel)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandy
Subject: expected outcome of a dumb mistake
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2023 11:09:09 +0000
 by: Daniel - Thu, 9 Feb 2023 11:09 UTC

Bought my first 100 in 2020 from eBay - instantly had problems and today
they still exist but I've recently identified a solution. A second
100 came as an inexpensive 'for parts' unit that ultimately worked fine
- the seller didn't have the memory switch set to 'on' and thought it
was dead. The thing works like it's fresh out of the factory. Guys, I
learned that I made a big mistake. Got my 200 from the bitchin100 list
soon after getting my 100's and made that my daily driver. The 100s
found a home in the closet next to the board games.

I decided today to register them all with Web8201. I cracked one open
for the first time. without thinking too much about the insides,
stupidly, and opened it to get the necessary serial and version numbers
to provide good registration info. As I was screwing her back together, I
decided to inspect it for problems. Looked at the battery and, on
initial inspection, it looked okay. Looking closer I found residue on
the side of the battery, then residue on a number of via's where the nearby
resistors are soldered in. CRAP

I should have inspected it two years ago but it just sat on my closet
and I can't help but think maybe it only leaked after i got the
device. Again, I turn it on and it works great. I just wish I wasn't so
stupid as to ignore the inspection two years ago. Or, at least, I wish I
had at least removed the internal battery when I got it. Just stupidity
here. BONK So now I have some soldering and cleanup to do. I assume the
resistors should be replaced.

I went ahead and excised the motherboard from the shell for deep
inspection. As you can see, there are some leaking caps, residue, and
some impacted traces. I have some restoration work to do and some
components to order. This will be the first time I restore the bad traces.

Pictures:

https://imgur.com/zn3fV4G.png
https://imgur.com/m6yzNzm.png
https://imgur.com/nWw3JNh.png