Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: rabid@pedag.og (RabidPedagog)
Subject: Battery discharge rate (Mint 21.3 + tlp)
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 08:29:32 -0500
 by: RabidPedagog - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 13:29 UTC

In a previous post, I mentioned that I was able to get decent battery
life using tlp. I should mention that using Eco mode (which entirely
disables the GPU) in Windows, the battery discharge rate would go from
about 6w to 15w and hang around 15w most of the time. With tlp, at
first, I was able to get 6w, but it would stick around 20w.

I use NVIDIA On-Demand mode in Mint which only enables the GPU when its
services are requested. After disabling hardware acceleration in
Betterbird, Librewolf and Telegram, I am now able to get a consistent
5.9w to 7.1w. This is actually superior to what Windows would get me.

Bravo to the developers of tlp.

--
RabidPedagog
Catholic paleoconservative

Re: Battery discharge rate (Mint 21.3 + tlp)

<uojbea$7e43$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8240&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#8240

From: ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com (RonB)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Battery discharge rate (Mint 21.3 + tlp)
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 14:58:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RonB - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 14:58 UTC

On 2024-01-21, RabidPedagog <rabid@pedag.og> wrote:
> In a previous post, I mentioned that I was able to get decent battery
> life using tlp. I should mention that using Eco mode (which entirely
> disables the GPU) in Windows, the battery discharge rate would go from
> about 6w to 15w and hang around 15w most of the time. With tlp, at
> first, I was able to get 6w, but it would stick around 20w.
>
> I use NVIDIA On-Demand mode in Mint which only enables the GPU when its
> services are requested. After disabling hardware acceleration in
> Betterbird, Librewolf and Telegram, I am now able to get a consistent
> 5.9w to 7.1w. This is actually superior to what Windows would get me.
>
> Bravo to the developers of tlp.

I'll have to look into tlp. Thanks for the recommendation.

--
"Evil preaches tolerance until it is dominant, then it tries to silence good."
-- Archbishop Charles J. Chaput

Re: Battery discharge rate (Mint 21.3 + tlp)

<uojltt$9rke$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8249&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#8249

From: OFeem1987@teleworm.us (Chris Ahlstrom)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 12:57:17 -0500
 by: Chris Ahlstrom - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 17:57 UTC

RonB wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On 2024-01-21, RabidPedagog <rabid@pedag.og> wrote:
>> In a previous post, I mentioned that I was able to get decent battery
>> life using tlp. I should mention that using Eco mode (which entirely
>> disables the GPU) in Windows, the battery discharge rate would go from
>> about 6w to 15w and hang around 15w most of the time. With tlp, at
>> first, I was able to get 6w, but it would stick around 20w.
>>
>> I use NVIDIA On-Demand mode in Mint which only enables the GPU when its
>> services are requested. After disabling hardware acceleration in
>> Betterbird, Librewolf and Telegram, I am now able to get a consistent
>> 5.9w to 7.1w. This is actually superior to what Windows would get me.
>>
>> Bravo to the developers of tlp.
>
> I'll have to look into tlp. Thanks for the recommendation.

I wonder if his system is amenable to Bumblebee (needs Nvidia and onboard
Intel graphics, I believe.)

--
Today is the first day of the rest of the mess.