7 May, 2024: fms is rebuilding. Don't expect much in that section for quite a few days, maybe longer.

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Re: mounting a non-system hard drive

SubjectAuthor
* mounting a non-system hard drivepinnerite
+- Re: mounting a non-system hard driveBig Al
+* Re: mounting a non-system hard drivePaul
|`- Re: mounting a non-system hard drivePaul
+* Re: mounting a non-system hard driveRobH
|`- Re: mounting a non-system hard driveNic
`* Re: mounting a non-system hard driveDan Purgert
 `* Re: mounting a non-system hard drivepinnerite
  `- Re: mounting a non-system hard drivepinnerite

1
mounting a non-system hard drive

<20240311170124.0759f1c40370cd0f98886668@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8056&group=alt.os.linux.mint#8056

From: pinnerite@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: mounting a non-system hard drive
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 17:01:24 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 17:01 UTC

I have just partitioned a 2TB hard drive into two approximately equal
1TB partitions. both formatted to ext4.

The main drive is an SSD.

I would like to mount these under /home as /home/mythtv and /home/data
respectively.

Can it be done?
So far I have not been able to.

TIA

--
Linux Mint 21.3 kernel version 5.15.0-100-generic Cinnamon 6.0.4

Re: mounting a non-system hard drive

<usnhsu$3onq7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8057&group=alt.os.linux.mint#8057

From: alan@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: mounting a non-system hard drive
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 14:18:06 -0400
 by: Big Al - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 18:18 UTC

On 3/11/24 01:01 PM, pinnerite wrote:
> I have just partitioned a 2TB hard drive into two approximately equal
> 1TB partitions. both formatted to ext4.
>
> The main drive is an SSD.
>
> I would like to mount these under /home as /home/mythtv and /home/data
> respectively.
>
> Can it be done?
> So far I have not been able to.
>
> TIA

I mount a spinner, formatted to ext4 with this line in fstab. It mounts on boot.

LABEL=Linux /media/alan/Linux auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-name=Linux,x-gvfs-show 0 0

Obviously this is done by labels and not by UUID or /dev/sda* info.
Don't ask what it means, I just know it works.
--
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon 6.0.4
Al

Re: mounting a non-system hard drive

<usnl7v$3ph4t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8058&group=alt.os.linux.mint#8058

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 15:15:09 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 19:15 UTC

On 3/11/2024 1:01 PM, pinnerite wrote:
> I have just partitioned a 2TB hard drive into two approximately equal
> 1TB partitions. both formatted to ext4.
>
> The main drive is an SSD.
>
> I would like to mount these under /home as /home/mythtv and /home/data
> respectively.
>
> Can it be done?
> So far I have not been able to.
>
> TIA

Static mounts (go anywhere, do anything) are done via /etc/fstab entries.

Feedback, as to what is currently mounted, is in /etc/mtab. This
is the "Traditional" way of doing things.

cat /etc/mtab

The system also has an automounter. The automounter has a fixed
root mountpoint, and named items go underneath that mount point.
First the automounter creates a directory (according to some naming
rules for it), then it mounts the dynamic item on that mount point.
You'll notice some automounted entries are "ralph", others
are strings of numbers, and there is likely a reason that happened.

These can be checked using a command like "df" for a nice
summary of what path names are at play. "df" can also be
doctored, so certain items are made invisible by your distro.
Ubuntu may be hiding Snap loopback mounts from you, when
you use "df" in Ubuntu.

The utility "gnome-disks", allows mounting items in a more
graphical manner. You can highlight a partition, and one
of the buttons is a mount button. But items not statically
mounted (at boot time), are likely to go to automounted
locations. And these would not be following your
desired naming scheme. /home/mythtv and /home/data .

Note that "gnome-disks" also has a DELETE button for
partitions. DANGER DANGER DANGER.

So if you merely want to mount the partition at
your earliest opportunity (like a kid unwrapping
a Christmas present), then using the File Manager
and mounting from there, using "gnome-disks" and
mounting from there, that will show you a /etc/mtab
entry. But it might not be exactly what you're looking
for.

The syntax of terminal mount commands, is not exactly the
same as the syntax of /etc/fstab entries. And some people
mix up the two formats. This is not an activity that
should be carried out after three glasses of wine :-)

sudo mount -t ext4 ...

The slash partition defined in /etc/fstab, might already
be an ext4 entry. There are several ways to identify items,
in both precise and less-precise ways when defining mounts.
That's why you'll notice the OS has used a specific way
for its mounts in /etc/fstab (a GUID or a BLKID or some
other kind of string of numbers). If you are choosing to do it
a different way, then you have to be aware at a future date,
what shortcomings your method has. Using a BLKID, if additional
partitions are added to a disk, the BLKID is a solid identifier
where the mounts already made, continue to work. Things
like /dev/sdb1 and /dev/sdb2 only work, until you push
another partition in there somewhere and screw up the numbering.

If a static mount fails to mount, the folder is still
there, and a "writer" could start writing into your
slash partition... until slash is full and there is a
puzzled look on your face :-) Surely a comedic moment.
A "df" may well tell you there are shenanigans afoot.

Paul

Re: mounting a non-system hard drive

<l597hnFu4faU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8059&group=alt.os.linux.mint#8059

From: rob@nospam.com (RobH)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 20:23:19 +0000
 by: RobH - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 20:23 UTC

On 11/03/2024 17:01, pinnerite wrote:
> I have just partitioned a 2TB hard drive into two approximately equal
> 1TB partitions. both formatted to ext4.
>
> The main drive is an SSD.
>
> I would like to mount these under /home as /home/mythtv and /home/data
> respectively.
>
> Can it be done?
> So far I have not been able to.
>
> TIA

I had trouble last week with attempting to mount folders from a local
computer onto my NAS drive, but eventually fixed it.
I set a nfs share on my NAS server, then used
192.168.0.24:/mnt/Media/music /mnt/Media/music user=rob,rw,nfsver=3 0 0

The folder is now mounted so it can be accessed from any device now

Re: mounting a non-system hard drive

<90LHN.104110$SyNd.46910@fx33.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8060&group=alt.os.linux.mint#8060

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic@none.invalid (Nic)
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 17:49:56 -0400
 by: Nic - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 21:49 UTC

On 3/11/24 4:23 PM, RobH wrote:
> On 11/03/2024 17:01, pinnerite wrote:
>> I have just partitioned a 2TB hard drive into two approximately equal
>> 1TB partitions. both formatted to ext4.
>>
>> The main drive is an SSD.
>>
>> I would like to mount these under /home as /home/mythtv and /home/data
>> respectively.
>>
>> Can it be done?
>> So far I have not been able to.
>>
>> TIA
>>

> I had trouble last week with attempting to mount folders from a local
> computer onto my NAS drive, but eventually fixed it.
> I set a nfs share on my NAS server, then used
> 192.168.0.24:/mnt/Media/music  /mnt/Media/music user=rob,rw,nfsver=3
> 0   0
>
> The folder is now mounted so it can be accessed from any device now
It seems that security is trying to avoid just this kind of thing, where
an intruder would have free reign over all your devices.

Re: mounting a non-system hard drive

<slrnuuv86r.807.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8061&group=alt.os.linux.mint#8061

From: dan@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 00:24:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 00:24 UTC

On 2024-03-11, pinnerite wrote:
> I have just partitioned a 2TB hard drive into two approximately equal
> 1TB partitions. both formatted to ext4.
>
> The main drive is an SSD.
>
> I would like to mount these under /home as /home/mythtv and /home/data
> respectively.

sudo mkdir /home/{mythtv,data}
sudo mount /dev/whatever1 /home/mythtv
sudo mount /dev/whatever2 /home/data

sudo chown [mythtvuserhere]:[mythtvgroup] /home/mythtv
sudo chowm [datauser]:[datagroup] /home/data

Assuming it all works as desired, setup the two entries in /etc/fstab
(though UUID is better than /dev/whatever)

--
|_|O|_|

Re: mounting a non-system hard drive

<usodsh$3uig0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8062&group=alt.os.linux.mint#8062

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 22:15:44 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 02:15 UTC

On 3/11/2024 3:15 PM, Paul wrote:
> On 3/11/2024 1:01 PM, pinnerite wrote:
>> I have just partitioned a 2TB hard drive into two approximately equal
>> 1TB partitions. both formatted to ext4.
>>
>> The main drive is an SSD.
>>
>> I would like to mount these under /home as /home/mythtv and /home/data
>> respectively.
>>
>> Can it be done?
>> So far I have not been able to.
>>
>> TIA

I added a disk to my VM, for a test. Adding the disk, changed the
/dev designation, which would have ruined /etc/fstab if we were still
using /dev for identification. I was suitably confused while plunking
stuff into a message here :-) MOVIE is my new partition. Like trying
on a pair of shoes, I automounted MOVIE for effect. Just to see
what mount options the automounter would use.

/dev/sdb2 / ext4 rw,relatime 0 0 # cat /etc/mtab
/dev/sda1 /media/bullwinkle/MOVIE ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 0 # automounted item, wanna make static

Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on # output of "df"
/dev/sdb2 61603628 7647056 50794872 14% /
/dev/sda1 49224652 24 46691764 1% /media/bullwinkle/MOVIE # automounted item

blkid
/dev/sdb2: UUID="558476d7-c5e4-4e43-9a03-06a5195cf7af" BLOCK_SIZE="4096" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="084a8cc3-02"
/dev/sdb1: UUID="a379e766-405c-4c19-b5d8-edaf6e64a121" TYPE="swap" PARTUUID="084a8cc3-01"
/dev/sda1: LABEL="MOVIE" UUID="4b16d1f6-8abf-41d0-824c-9569dfe41d6a" <====================== the number I need...
BLOCK_SIZE="4096" TYPE="ext4"
PARTLABEL="MOVIE" PARTUUID="529214e7-a688-44b3-99af-ecbc34949af8"

*******

# Pick names that do not conflict with convention. /home/mythtv could be an account.
# If this is intentional, then there may already be structure in there, and not
# suited to immediately making a mount point for it. That content may need to be copied
# to the new drive, before the new drive is static mounted over top of /home/mythtv

/srv/mythtv and /srv/data # do something a bit different

sudo mkdir /srv/mythtv /srv/data

# Following copied from redhat.

Device: usually the given name or UUID of the mounted device (sda1/sda2/etc).

Mount Point: designates the directory where the device is/will be mounted.

File System Type: nothing trick here, shows the type of filesystem in use.

Backup Operation: (the first digit) Boolean 1 = dump utility backup of a partition.
0 = no backup. This is an outdated backup method and should NOT be used.

File System Check Order: (second digit) 0 means that fsck will not check the filesystem.
Numbers higher than this represent the check order.
The root filesystem should be set to 1 and other partitions set to 2

********** Now, pencil in a sample mount just after the swap line, in /etc/fstab ********

#Device MountPoint FS Options Back FSCKOrder
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# /dev/sdb2
UUID=558476d7-c5e4-4e43-9a03-06a5195cf7af / ext4 defaults 0 1
# /dev/sdb1
UUID=a379e766-405c-4c19-b5d8-edaf6e64a121 none swap sw 0 0

# /dev/sda1 One of the mounts of MythTV
UUID=4b16d1f6-8abf-41d0-824c-9569dfe41d6a /srv/mythtv ext4 defaults 0 2

********** Now, pencil in a sample mount just after the swap line, in /etc/fstab ********

sudo xed /etc/fstab and add the two lines (with more detail in the comment area)

The automounted item has a series of directives, which you can research if you want.
I've just copied the "defaults" instead.

I unmounted the automounted item, then did a mount -a, and the /etc/mtab looks like this in response.

/dev/sda1 /srv/mythtv ext4 rw,relatime 0 0 <=== my new fstab entry shows up

The output of "df" is like this.
And it should look the same after a reboot.

/dev/sdb2 61603628 7643384 50798544 14% /
/dev/sda1 49224652 24 46691764 1% /srv/mythtv

On this mission, you're a real Linux admin, not a fake one. You
can't copy the answer from the other students. You have to understand
what you're doing, and why. MythTV may have already created structure
in /home/mythtv and mythtv will need to be shut down, the content
in /home/mythtv copied to the new disk. Clean out the /home/mythtv mount
point now, as you are switching over to the new disk. It is bad karma
to leave garbage in a mountpoint -- if it's clean you might recognize
the thing did not mount for example. Once the new disk is mounted
in the /home/mythtv location, then myth can be allowed to run again.

The next time you boot, / will be mounted first, then /home/mythtv,
then myth will be started, so myth should be seeing the copied materials
placed on the new disk.

Some mythtv web page mentions using /srv as a mount point, which is
where I got the idea. But you know what accounts have been created
in /etc and understand the design intent.

Paul

Re: mounting a non-system hard drive

<20240315154850.2a170e06b63008a45ac89028@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8107&group=alt.os.linux.mint#8107

From: pinnerite@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 15:48:50 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 15:48 UTC

On Tue, 12 Mar 2024 00:24:59 -0000 (UTC)
Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net> wrote:

> On 2024-03-11, pinnerite wrote:
> > I have just partitioned a 2TB hard drive into two approximately equal
> > 1TB partitions. both formatted to ext4.
> >
> > The main drive is an SSD.
> >
> > I would like to mount these under /home as /home/mythtv and /home/data
> > respectively.
>
> sudo mkdir /home/{mythtv,data}
> sudo mount /dev/whatever1 /home/mythtv
> sudo mount /dev/whatever2 /home/data
>
> sudo chown [mythtvuserhere]:[mythtvgroup] /home/mythtv
> sudo chowm [datauser]:[datagroup] /home/data
>

> Assuming it all works as desired, setup the two entries in /etc/fstab
> (though UUID is better than /dev/whatever)

Thanks, I tried this and it did the job.

$ sudo mount -t auto -v /dev/sda1 /home/Mythtv

I will decide on an fstab entry later

Alan

--
Linux Mint 21.3 kernel version 5.15.0-100-generic Cinnamon 6.0.4
AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU 16Gb Dram 2TB Barracuda

Re: mounting a non-system hard drive

<20240316182240.082f4ff35b7a5a2a900cc87a@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8128&group=alt.os.linux.mint#8128

From: pinnerite@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 18:22:40 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Sat, 16 Mar 2024 18:22 UTC

On Fri, 15 Mar 2024 15:48:50 +0000
pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Mar 2024 00:24:59 -0000 (UTC)
> Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net> wrote:
>
> > On 2024-03-11, pinnerite wrote:
> > > I have just partitioned a 2TB hard drive into two approximately equal
> > > 1TB partitions. both formatted to ext4.
> > >
> > > The main drive is an SSD.
> > >
> > > I would like to mount these under /home as /home/mythtv and /home/data
> > > respectively.
> >
> > sudo mkdir /home/{mythtv,data}
> > sudo mount /dev/whatever1 /home/mythtv
> > sudo mount /dev/whatever2 /home/data
> >
> > sudo chown [mythtvuserhere]:[mythtvgroup] /home/mythtv
> > sudo chowm [datauser]:[datagroup] /home/data
> >

> > Assuming it all works as desired, setup the two entries in /etc/fstab
> > (though UUID is better than /dev/whatever)
> >

> Thanks, I tried this and it did the job.
>
> $ sudo mount -t auto -v /dev/sda1 /home/Mythtv
>
> I will decide on an fstab entry later
>
> Alan

Right!

1) Discover the UUID of the partitions:

$ ls -al '/dev/disk/by-uuid'

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 180 Mar 15 15:12 .
drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 160 Mar 15 12:54 ..
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Mar 15 12:54 04A1-CA03 -> ../../nvme0n1p1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Mar 15 12:54 6d4054e5-3484-4f0f-a784-2c9441bb2022 -> ../../nvme0n1p5
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Mar 15 15:12 a476ac31-5d10-41ec-b1c5-fc23ed894021 -> ../../sda2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Mar 15 12:54 b83cc4c3-f0b0-4acc-95c9-3ecd20a835bc -> ../../nvme0n1p2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Mar 15 12:54 bc3a5363-6da5-4fc8-887c-768fce6479cb -> ../../nvme0n1p4
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Mar 15 13:57 befbda3a-55e1-415f-9e2f-cb7f11992039 -> ../../sda1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Mar 15 12:54 fb19987b-9c44-446a-9400-44e6329d4e78 -> ../../nvme0n1p3

I only needed sda1 and sda2

2) Prepare entries for fstab:

#
# mount -t auto -v /dev/sda1 /home/Mythtv
# UUID=befbda3a-55e1-415f-9e2f-cb7f11992039 /home/Mythtv ext4 defaults 0 2
# # mount -t auto -v /dev/sda2 /home/Data ext4 defaults 0 1
# UUID=a476ac31-5d10-41ec-b1c5-fc23ed894021 /home/Data ext4 defaults 0 1

Worked per label on the tin.

Thanksfor the help:

Alan