From: Jack@handsome.com (Handsome Jack)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: MenuLibre
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 11:30:32 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Handsome Jack - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 11:30 UTC

I can't for the life of me work out how to use MenuLibre.

I have installed an application (xchm). I have created a launcher for it
(/home/Jack/.local/share/applications/). I want to make this launcher
appear in the applications menu. How? The launcher doesn't appear
in MenuLibre's menu entry browser. If I use MenuLibre to create a new
launcher it still doesn't appear in the menu browser. Also, next time I
start MenuLibre I get a non-fatal error message "the following desktop
files have failed parsing by the underlying library and will therefore
not show up in MenuLibre. Please investigate these problems with
the underlying package maintainer", and the offending file is
described thus:
{ /home/Jack/.local/share/applications/xfce4-run.desktop
Unknown error. Desktop file appears to be vaild.
}

What am I doing wrong?

Re: MenuLibre

<MzBIN.522969$PuZ9.463708@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8103&group=alt.os.linux.mint#8103

Subject: Re: MenuLibre
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic@none.invalid (Nic)
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 07:54:20 -0400
 by: Nic - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 11:54 UTC

On 3/14/24 7:30 AM, Handsome Jack wrote:
> I can't for the life of me work out how to use MenuLibre.
>
> I have installed an application (xchm). I have created a launcher for it
> (/home/Jack/.local/share/applications/). I want to make this launcher
> appear in the applications menu. How? The launcher doesn't appear
> in MenuLibre's menu entry browser. If I use MenuLibre to create a new
> launcher it still doesn't appear in the menu browser. Also, next time I
> start MenuLibre I get a non-fatal error message "the following desktop
> files have failed parsing by the underlying library and will therefore
> not show up in MenuLibre. Please investigate these problems with
> the underlying package maintainer", and the offending file is
> described thus:
> {
> /home/Jack/.local/share/applications/xfce4-run.desktop
> Unknown error. Desktop file appears to be vaild.
> }
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Try looking for Menu Editor instead of Menulibre

Re: MenuLibre

<ususbc$1k1hn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8104&group=alt.os.linux.mint#8104

From: Jack@handsome.com (Handsome Jack)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 12:59:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Handsome Jack - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 12:59 UTC

Nic <Nic@none.invalid> wrote:
> On 3/14/24 7:30 AM, Handsome Jack wrote:
>> I can't for the life of me work out how to use MenuLibre.
>>
>> I have installed an application (xchm). I have created a launcher for it
>> (/home/Jack/.local/share/applications/). I want to make this launcher
>> appear in the applications menu. How? The launcher doesn't appear
>> in MenuLibre's menu entry browser. If I use MenuLibre to create a new
>> launcher it still doesn't appear in the menu browser. Also, next time I
>> start MenuLibre I get a non-fatal error message "the following desktop
>> files have failed parsing by the underlying library and will therefore
>> not show up in MenuLibre. Please investigate these problems with
>> the underlying package maintainer", and the offending file is
>> described thus:
>> {
>> /home/Jack/.local/share/applications/xfce4-run.desktop
>> Unknown error. Desktop file appears to be vaild.
>> }
>>
>> What am I doing wrong?
>>

> Try looking for Menu Editor instead of Menulibre

The utility appears as Menu Editor on the applications menu, but
MenuLibre v2.2.2 is the programme that it invokes.

Re: MenuLibre

<3a0b29ab-ecc7-41fc-be1b-ebc63167bfe6@smeech.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8148&group=alt.os.linux.mint#8148

From: stephen@smeech.plus.com (Stephen Meech)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2024 15:41:09 +0000
 by: Stephen Meech - Tue, 19 Mar 2024 15:41 UTC

On 14/03/2024 11:30, Handsome Jack wrote:
> I can't for the life of me work out how to use MenuLibre.
>
> I have installed an application (xchm). I have created a launcher for it
> (/home/Jack/.local/share/applications/). I want to make this launcher
> appear in the applications menu. How? The launcher doesn't appear
> in MenuLibre's menu entry browser. If I use MenuLibre to create a new
> launcher it still doesn't appear in the menu browser. Also, next time I
> start MenuLibre I get a non-fatal error message "the following desktop
> files have failed parsing by the underlying library and will therefore
> not show up in MenuLibre. Please investigate these problems with
> the underlying package maintainer", and the offending file is
> described thus:
> {
> /home/Jack/.local/share/applications/xfce4-run.desktop
> Unknown error. Desktop file appears to be vaild.
> }
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Probably nothing - it's a buggy program which doesn't do what you expect
it to, and often does very little.

Having wrestled with it for a long time I gave up.

I now create launchers from <right-click> on my desktop, drag them into
~/.local/share/applications/, open the launcher with a text editor, and
add Categories from the list at
https://specifications.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/menu-spec-1.0.html#category-registry.
This makes the menu system put them into logical locations.

--
Regards,

Stephen

Re: MenuLibre

<ute4pd$1cgva$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8149&group=alt.os.linux.mint#8149

From: Jack@handsome.com (Handsome Jack)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 07:55:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Handsome Jack - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 07:55 UTC

Stephen Meech <stephen@smeech.plus.com> wrote:
> On 14/03/2024 11:30, Handsome Jack wrote:
>> I can't for the life of me work out how to use MenuLibre.
>>
>> I have installed an application (xchm). I have created a launcher for it
>> (/home/Jack/.local/share/applications/). I want to make this launcher
>> appear in the applications menu. How? The launcher doesn't appear
>> in MenuLibre's menu entry browser. If I use MenuLibre to create a new
>> launcher it still doesn't appear in the menu browser. Also, next time I
>> start MenuLibre I get a non-fatal error message "the following desktop
>> files have failed parsing by the underlying library and will therefore
>> not show up in MenuLibre. Please investigate these problems with
>> the underlying package maintainer", and the offending file is
>> described thus:
>> {
>> /home/Jack/.local/share/applications/xfce4-run.desktop
>> Unknown error. Desktop file appears to be vaild.
>> }
>>
>> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Probably nothing - it's a buggy program which doesn't do what you expect
> it to, and often does very little.

Thanks for confirming my guess. I wish I'd known that a week ago. My struggles with MenuLibre have serously damaged one of my applications - the one I use most often, in fact, presumably either by modifying the launcher itself or by inducing me to modify it wrongly, and I can't work out how to repair it.

> Having wrestled with it for a long time I gave up.
>
> I now create launchers from <right-click> on my desktop, drag them into
> ~/.local/share/applications/, open the launcher with a text editor, and
> add Categories from the list at
> https://specifications.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/menu-spec-1.0.html#category-registry.
> This makes the menu system put them into logical locations.

Good plan. Thanks for the link, I'd never have found it myself.