From: rob@nospam.com (RobH)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: samba/smb no services
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 12:40:40 +0000
 by: RobH - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 12:40 UTC

From a new install of LM 21.2, I find that there are no smb hare
available from it. So I googled around and found there are no smb nor
samba services which to enable or start.

When I do:
sudo service samba start, it returns

failed to start samba.service: Unit samba.service not found.

Iinstalled samba last week, and have checked synaptic to see if there
are more smb files to install, but apparently not.

How do I get smb and samba service to run

Re: samba/smb no services

<l5drskFleogU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8087&group=alt.os.linux.mint#8087

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: samba/smb no services
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 07:34:59 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 14:34 UTC

RobH wrote:
> When I do:
> sudo service samba start, it returns
>
> failed to start samba.service: Unit samba.service not found.

I'm reading in the mint forum the command should be:

sudo service smbd start

smbd is the daemon.

--
Mike Easter

Re: samba/smb no services

<l5dth6FlkbaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8088&group=alt.os.linux.mint#8088

From: rob@nospam.com (RobH)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 15:03:01 +0000
 by: RobH - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 15:03 UTC

On 13/03/2024 14:34, Mike Easter wrote:
> RobH wrote:
>> When I do:
>> sudo service samba start, it returns
>>
>> failed to start samba.service: Unit samba.service not found.
>
> I'm reading in the mint forum the command should be:
>
> sudo service smbd start
>
> smbd is the daemon.

thanks, that worked ok.

I got the other command from some other site this morning

But it's weird that one LM machine gets permission denied backing up
some folders to my NAS server, when 2 other Linux machines don't have
any problems.

All the backup folders on the NAS have the dead same permissions

Re: samba/smb no services

<ussts4$13nli$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8097&group=alt.os.linux.mint#8097

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 15:13:08 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 19:13 UTC

On 3/13/2024 11:03 AM, RobH wrote:
> On 13/03/2024 14:34, Mike Easter wrote:
>> RobH wrote:
>>> When I do:
>>> sudo service samba start, it returns
>>>
>>> failed to start samba.service: Unit samba.service not found.
>>
>> I'm reading in the mint forum the command should be:
>>
>> sudo service smbd start
>>
>> smbd is the daemon.
>>

> thanks, that worked ok.
>
> I got the other command from some other site this morning
>
> But it's weird that one LM machine gets permission denied
> backing up some folders to my NAS server, when
> 2 other Linux machines don't have any problems.
>
> All the backup folders on the NAS have the dead same permissions

rob@SOMEMACHINE:~$ id
uid=1000(rob) gid=1000(rob)

rob@SOMEOTHERMACHINE:~$ id
uid=1001(rob) gid=1001(rob)

Now, on each of the machines, examine the /etc/fstab entry
for the mount you are using. I bet it had some identifier
in it, could be rob:rob or 1000:1000 . Now, what would
happen on SOMEOTHERMACHINE where the /etc/passwd entry for rob is 1001:1001 ?

Presumably there is some little issue there. Somehow the
mount command has to be modified, or the permissions on
the NAS need to be modified. Or something. For my guess is,
the machines ARE NOT identical :-)

Paul

Re: samba/smb no services

<l5eqnrFpsrrU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8100&group=alt.os.linux.mint#8100

From: rob@nospam.com (RobH)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 23:21:31 +0000
 by: RobH - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 23:21 UTC

On 13/03/2024 19:13, Paul wrote:
> On 3/13/2024 11:03 AM, RobH wrote:

>>> I'm reading in the mint forum the command should be:
>>>
>>> sudo service smbd start
>>>
>>> smbd is the daemon.
>>>

>> thanks, that worked ok.
>>
>> I got the other command from some other site this morning
>>
>> But it's weird that one LM machine gets permission denied
>> backing up some folders to my NAS server, when
>> 2 other Linux machines don't have any problems.
>>
>> All the backup folders on the NAS have the dead same permissions
>
> rob@SOMEMACHINE:~$ id
> uid=1000(rob) gid=1000(rob)
>
> rob@SOMEOTHERMACHINE:~$ id
> uid=1001(rob) gid=1001(rob)
>
> Now, on each of the machines, examine the /etc/fstab entry
> for the mount you are using. I bet it had some identifier
> in it, could be rob:rob or 1000:1000 . Now, what would
> happen on SOMEOTHERMACHINE where the /etc/passwd entry for rob is 1001:1001 ?
>
> Presumably there is some little issue there. Somehow the
> mount command has to be modified, or the permissions on
> the NAS need to be modified. Or something. For my guess is,
> the machines ARE NOT identical :-)
>
> Paul

On the machine with LM 21.3, when I try to backup certain folders etc, I
get this message:
[Erno 13] permission Denied
..'/run/user/smb-shareserver=freenas.local.share=backup folder

There is no fstab entry for that

On the other 2 machines, again no fstab entries, to backup data, they
work just fine with no errors at all.

1 machine has LM 21.2 and the other has Ubuntu 21.4