Spock: We suffered 23 casualties in that attack, Captain.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / SHUTTING DOWN A COMPUTER

SubjectAuthor
* SHUTTING DOWN A COMPUTERknuttle
+- Re: SHUTTING DOWN A COMPUTERsticks
+- Re: SHUTTING DOWN A COMPUTERStan Brown
+- Re: SHUTTING DOWN A COMPUTERPaul
+* Re: SHUTTING DOWN A COMPUTERR.Wieser
|`* Re: SHUTTING DOWN A COMPUTERjames moffat
| +- Re: SHUTTING DOWN A COMPUTERR.Wieser
| `* Re: SHUTTING DOWN A COMPUTERR.Wieser
|  `* Re: SHUTTING DOWN A COMPUTERZaidy036
|   `* Re: SHUTTING DOWN A COMPUTERR.Wieser
|    +* Re: SHUTTING DOWN A COMPUTERZaidy036
|    |`- Re: SHUTTING DOWN A COMPUTERR.Wieser
|    `- Re: SHUTTING DOWN A COMPUTERJim Dell
`- Re: SHUTTING DOWN A COMPUTERJack

1
SHUTTING DOWN A COMPUTER

<uufajo$2nodq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=80629&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#80629

From: keith_nuttle@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: SHUTTING DOWN A COMPUTER
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 17:57:13 -0400
 by: knuttle - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 21:57 UTC

I have an in home lane with three computers and several cellphones.
Periodically my wife will leave the upstairs computer on so that I can
synchronize them.

Once the data is synchronized, her computer is shut off. The problem is
that we forget she left the computer on and it runs until some one
remembers it is on and goes up and shuts it down.

On my computer I would like to through the LAN, activate a program on
the remote computer that would cause it to shut down.

Re: SHUTTING DOWN A COMPUTER

<uufats$2ntee$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=80630&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#80630

From: wolverine01@charter.net (sticks)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: SHUTTING DOWN A COMPUTER
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 17:02:37 -0500
 by: sticks - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 22:02 UTC

On 4/1/2024 4:57 PM, knuttle wrote:
> I have an in home lane with three computers and several cellphones.
> Periodically my wife will leave the upstairs computer on so that I can
> synchronize them.
>
> Once the data is synchronized, her computer is shut off.  The problem is
> that we forget she left the computer on and it runs until some one
> remembers it is on and goes up and shuts it down.
>
> On my computer I would like to through the LAN, activate a program  on
> the remote computer that would cause it to shut down.

I have a batch file on my desktop that puts my computer to sleep. I
assume you could make a similar batch file to shut down and then run it
remotely.

--
Stand With Israel!

Re: SHUTTING DOWN A COMPUTER

<MPG.4074d60ff0fbe21f9902cc@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=80631&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#80631

From: the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 15:33:23 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 22:33 UTC

On Mon, 1 Apr 2024 17:57:13 -0400, knuttle wrote:

> I have an in home lane with three computers and several cellphones.
> Periodically my wife will leave the upstairs computer on so that I can
> synchronize them.
>
> Once the data is synchronized, her computer is shut off. The problem is
> that we forget she left the computer on and it runs until some one
> remembers it is on and goes up and shuts it down.
>
> On my computer I would like to through the LAN, activate a program on
> the remote computer that would cause it to shut down.

On your computer, in a command prompt, type
shutdown /?

Notice that the /m argument lets you specify which computer to shut
down.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: SHUTTING DOWN A COMPUTER

<uugh1v$340h9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=80650&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#80650

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 04:53:17 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 08:53 UTC

On 4/1/2024 5:57 PM, knuttle wrote:
> I have an in home lane with three computers and several cellphones. Periodically my wife will leave the upstairs computer on so that I can synchronize them.
>
> Once the data is synchronized, her computer is shut off.  The problem is that we forget she left the computer on and it runs until some one remembers it is on and goes up and shuts it down.
>
> On my computer I would like to through the LAN, activate a program  on the remote computer that would cause it to shut down.

Set it to hibernate after 20 minutes (or whatever the
synchronization interval is, times two).

Use Wake On LAN to wake the computer remotely (on the same LAN).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN#Magic_packet

When Windows installs an Intel LAN chip, it may not include the
nice Properties page. Using the Intel driver could include that,
and that may have a Wake On LAN (not Wake On Carrier) setting
you can use. You still need a program to generate the
Wake On LAN packet for you, and send it to the
correct MAC address.

There are two options, Hybrid Sleep and Hibernate

S3 - Hybrid sleep keeps the session in RAM, but the hiberfil.sys is also loaded just in case.
This responds faster to a waking event, but wastes 4 to 8 watts of electricity.
Sleep keeps the RAM powered, off +5VSB (no fan will be running).

S4 - Hibernate keeps the session in hiberfil.sys in the root of C: .
RAM is not powered. Power loss is ~1 watt or so.

Some computers have trouble waking from S5 (soft off).

On business class machines, there is Management Engine, the NIC has
dual interfaces, one of the interfaces intercepts LAN traffic and
feeds the Management Engine processor (in the chipset). The Management
Engine runs MINUX and "there is no screen to look at". Management Engine
has the capability to restart a crashed computer, so not only can it
wake a sleeping computer remotely, it can also regain control of a crashed
computer. This is used by IT departments, and normally home users
don't have the software for this. The Wake On LAN strategy,
is OK at LAN level, but can be more of a challenge when
more network component paths are involved (hard to do from Starbucks).

Paul

Re: SHUTTING DOWN A COMPUTER

<uugnec$35g0h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=80653&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#80653

From: address@is.invalid (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 12:42:06 +0200
 by: R.Wieser - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 10:42 UTC

knuttle,

> Once the data is synchronized, her computer is shut off. The problem is
> that we forget she left the computer on and it runs until some one
> remembers it is on and goes up and shuts it down

You're not really clear there.

"her computer is shut off", but than someone "goes up and shuts it down" ?
Assuming its the same computer, whats the difference between "shut off" and
"shut (it) down" ? OS vs power perhaps ?

Or must I/we read that "her computer" and "the computer" as two different
ones ? If so, how are both used - which one is backupped, and which one is
initiating the backup. Which one shuts down automatically and which one
needs to be shut down manually ?

mind you, thats 8 possibilities, with yours just being one of them.
<whistle>

.... or is it even more complex than that ?

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: SHUTTING DOWN A COMPUTER

<uuhckd$1gheu$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=80664&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#80664

From: noreply@hhhhhhhh.com (Jack)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 17:39:23 +0100
 by: Jack - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 16:39 UTC

On 01/04/2024 22:57, knuttle wrote:
> I have an in home lane with three computers and several cellphones.
> Periodically my wife will leave the upstairs computer on so that I can
> synchronize them.
>
> Once the data is synchronized, her computer is shut off.� The problem
> is that we forget she left the computer on and it runs until some one
> remembers it is on and goes up and shuts it down.
>
> On my computer I would like to through the LAN, activate a program� on
> the remote computer that would cause it to shut down.

Try this:
<Shut down, sleep, or hibernate your PC - Microsoft Support
<https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/shut-down-sleep-or-hibernate-your-pc-2941d165-7d0a-a5e8-c5ad-8c972e8e6eff>>

Re: SHUTTING DOWN A COMPUTER

<69ho0jpm27glq9nkgpc50or1hj8h55jpom@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=80669&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#80669

From: spam.spam@distributel.net (james moffat)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2024 11:56:06 -0600
 by: james moffat - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 17:56 UTC

On Tue, 2 Apr 2024 12:42:06 +0200, "R.Wieser" <address@is.invalid>
wrote:

>knuttle,
>
>> Once the data is synchronized, her computer is shut off. The problem is
>> that we forget she left the computer on and it runs until some one
>> remembers it is on and goes up and shuts it down
>
>You're not really clear there.
>
>"her computer is shut off", but than someone "goes up and shuts it down" ?
>Assuming its the same computer, whats the difference between "shut off" and
>"shut (it) down" ? OS vs power perhaps ?
>
>Or must I/we read that "her computer" and "the computer" as two different
>ones ? If so, how are both used - which one is backupped, and which one is
>initiating the backup. Which one shuts down automatically and which one
>needs to be shut down manually ?
>
>mind you, thats 8 possibilities, with yours just being one of them.
><whistle>
>
>... or is it even more complex than that ?
>
>Regards,
>Rudy Wieser

Wow, overthink much? ;)
They sometimes forget to shut the computer off after the
synchronization and want some method to turn it off automatically or
otherwise from a LAN computer.

If using windows maybe try : remote desktop into other computer and
use the windows key+d then alt-f4 to shut down.
that's how I turn off my LAN computers when I need to .
Me

Re: SHUTTING DOWN A COMPUTER

<uuhosn$3dks5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=80672&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#80672

From: address@is.invalid (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 22:12:56 +0200
 by: R.Wieser - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 20:12 UTC

James,

> Wow, overthink much? ;)

I've learned the hard way that to make assumptions based on inadequate
information most often leads to a lot of confusion and wasted time on both
sides.

So, I tend to ask specifics.

> They sometimes forget to shut the computer off after the synchronization
> and want some method to turn it off automatically or otherwise from a LAN
> computer.

Quite possible, and something that crossed my mind too.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: SHUTTING DOWN A COMPUTER

<uuivt4$3pi39$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=80679&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#80679

From: address@is.invalid (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 09:18:39 +0200
 by: R.Wieser - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 07:18 UTC

James,

> They sometimes forget to shut the computer off after the
> synchronization and want some method to turn it off
> automatically or otherwise from a LAN computer.

Assuming the backup program can shut the 'puter down after its done a
solution could be to start the backup from the "upstairs" 'puter. It will
than shut down, while the downstairs 'puter will be much more noticable that
its still running, and than gets shut off.

Ofcourse, the above also assumes that the backup program can be run from the
upstairs 'puter to begin with.

Than again, perhaps something as simple as an "egg timer" could be used, or
perhaps just the old "knot in the hanky" solution - placing something at an
out-of-place location as a reminder (mine is putting my shoes infront of the
hallway door).

Over-engeneering (trying to solve a "computer problem" with a computer) is
an occupational hazard. :-)

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: SHUTTING DOWN A COMPUTER

<uumjvv$obnh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=80724&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#80724

From: Zaidy036@air.isp.spam (Zaidy036)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 12:20:15 -0400
 by: Zaidy036 - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 16:20 UTC

On 4/3/2024 3:18 AM, R.Wieser wrote:
> James,
>
>> They sometimes forget to shut the computer off after the
>> synchronization and want some method to turn it off
>> automatically or otherwise from a LAN computer.
>
> Assuming the backup program can shut the 'puter down after its done a
> solution could be to start the backup from the "upstairs" 'puter. It will
> than shut down, while the downstairs 'puter will be much more noticable that
> its still running, and than gets shut off.
>
> Ofcourse, the above also assumes that the backup program can be run from the
> upstairs 'puter to begin with.
>
> Than again, perhaps something as simple as an "egg timer" could be used, or
> perhaps just the old "knot in the hanky" solution - placing something at an
> out-of-place location as a reminder (mine is putting my shoes infront of the
> hallway door).
>
> Over-engeneering (trying to solve a "computer problem" with a computer) is
> an occupational hazard. :-)
>
> Regards,
> Rudy Wieser

Do not shut it down.
Just add a batch to shut off its monitor(s) on a time certain.

Re: SHUTTING DOWN A COMPUTER

<uumlm4$p023$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=80725&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#80725

From: address@is.invalid (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 18:48:48 +0200
 by: R.Wieser - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 16:48 UTC

Zaidy036,

> Do not shut it down.

But that is what the OP is asking for.

> Just add a batch to shut off its monitor(s) on a time certain.

Why a batch ? My 'puter puts up a screensaver after half an hour, and
blanks the screen after an hour.

But while it than /looks/ as if its off, its still runningand consuming
energy. :-|

Regards,
Rudy Wieser (who still is not the, now different, OP)

Re: SHUTTING DOWN A COMPUTER

<uummqr$p3kt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=80726&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#80726

From: Zaidy036@air.isp.spam (Zaidy036)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 13:08:43 -0400
 by: Zaidy036 - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 17:08 UTC

On 4/4/2024 12:48 PM, R.Wieser wrote:
> Zaidy036,
>
>> Do not shut it down.
>
> But that is what the OP is asking for.
>
>> Just add a batch to shut off its monitor(s) on a time certain.
>
> Why a batch ? My 'puter puts up a screensaver after half an hour, and
> blanks the screen after an hour.
>
> But while it than /looks/ as if its off, its still runningand consuming
> energy. :-|
>
> Regards,
> Rudy Wieser (who still is not the, now different, OP)

I said shut it off so no energy:
NirSoft\multimonitortool-x64\MultiMonitorTool.exe TURNOFF 1 [2]

PC operates normally but low energy if nothing is idle. Also can remote
in from another PC on LAN.

Re: SHUTTING DOWN A COMPUTER

<uumt8r$qr8k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=80734&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#80734

From: address@is.invalid (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 20:58:15 +0200
 by: R.Wieser - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 18:58 UTC

Zaidy036,

> I said shut it off so no energy:
> NirSoft\multimonitortool-x64\MultiMonitorTool.exe TURNOFF 1 [2]

Yes, you said "shut off". Which can mean a lot of things to me, /including/
powering-down the monitor.

And I'm sorry, but as that program can also switch them back on it means
that they still use /some/ energy.

> PC operates normally but low energy if nothing is idle.

I know. But, if nobody is using the 'puter its still wasted energy.

Its also exactly what my "and blanks the screen after an hour" will do
automatically. With the added pre that pressing a key or using the mouse
will wake the monitor.

.... none of which the OP asked for.

> Also can remote in from another PC on LAN.

Did they ask for that ?

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: SHUTTING DOWN A COMPUTER

<uuslka$2c1vj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=80765&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#80765

From: Jim.Dell@gmail.com (Jim Dell)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 19:24:55 -0400
 by: Jim Dell - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 23:24 UTC

R.Wieser wrote:
> Zaidy036,
>
>> Do not shut it down.
>
> But that is what the OP is asking for.
>
>> Just add a batch to shut off its monitor(s) on a time certain.
>
> Why a batch ? My 'puter puts up a screensaver after half an hour, and
> blanks the screen after an hour.
>
> But while it than /looks/ as if its off, its still runningand consuming
> energy. :-|
>
> Regards,
> Rudy Wieser (who still is not the, now different, OP)

I put a schedule task in to shut the PC down completely down at 1:00 am
or what ever time I choose in the scheduled task (ie cron job in Linux)

Keeps the middle of the night hackers from getting in.

Jim