From: dave@661.org (David Griffith)
Newsgroups: alt.sys.pdp10
Subject: More functionality for Frotz on PDP-10
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 23:48:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: David Griffith - Mon, 10 Apr 2023 23:48 UTC

As some of you are aware, I added PDP-10 support to Frotz when running
under TOPS20 a bit more than a year ago. It is still just for TOPS20
and has no cursor-control. There's no cursor control because only the
dumb interface is supported. I suppose Frotz can use ITS'
device-independent terminal handling when built for ITS, but how would I
do this for the other PDP-10 operating systems? How would I go about
using that facility? How would I go about porting to the other
operating systems?

--
David Griffith
dave@661.org

Re: More functionality for Frotz on PDP-10

<7w4jpmrcy3.fsf@junk.nocrew.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=796&group=alt.sys.pdp10#796

From: lars.spam@nocrew.org (Lars Brinkhoff)
Newsgroups: alt.sys.pdp10
Subject: Re: More functionality for Frotz on PDP-10
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 09:21:56 +0000
 by: Lars Brinkhoff - Tue, 11 Apr 2023 09:21 UTC

David Griffith wrote:
> I suppose Frotz can use ITS' device-independent terminal handling when
> built for ITS, but how would I do this for the other PDP-10 operating
> systems? How would I go about using that facility?

The ITS facilities are built into the monitor. If you open a TTY device
in %TJDIS mode, cursor movements are done using a ^P prefix. ITS
internally translates this to the appropriate terminal escape sequences.
So I don't see that it would be easy to use this for other operating
systems.

How do other sysems handle terminals? I have heard that WAITS should
have excellent facilities for this, but I don't know anything about how
they work. How about TOPS-10? What does EMACS do on TOPS-20?