"Thank heaven for startups; without them we'd never have any advances." -- Seymour Cray

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / Firefox v116!

SubjectAuthor
* Firefox v116!Ant
+* Firefox v116!George
|`* Firefox v116!Shimon
| `* Firefox v116!Ken Blake
|  `* Firefox v116!Char Jackson
|   `- Firefox v116!Ken Blake
+- Firefox v116!VanguardLH
`* Firefox v116.0.2Ant
 `* Firefox v116.0.3Ant
  `* Firefox v116.0.3Adam H. Kerman
   `* Firefox v116.0.3Jörg_Lorenz
    `* Firefox v116.0.3Adam H. Kerman
     `* Firefox v116.0.3Jörg_Lorenz
      `- Firefox v116.0.3Adam H. Kerman

1
Firefox v116!

<Yo6cnaeKprZakVD5nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=787&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#787

From: ant@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Subject: Firefox v116!
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2023 14:35:51 +0000
 by: Ant - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 14:35 UTC

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/116.0.1/releasenotes/ & https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/116.0/releasenotes/
--
"On the last and greatest day of the Feast, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, 'If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture said, streams of living water will flow from within him.'" --John 7:37-38. ST:SNW S2 E9 was amusing.
| |o o| |

Re: Firefox v116!

<uajd2o$1c1m5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=790&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#790

From: george.ruch74@gmail.com (George)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: Re: Firefox v116!
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2023 11:38:32 -0600
 by: George - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 17:38 UTC

ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:

>https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/116.0.1/releasenotes/ & https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/116.0/releasenotes/

And now ver. 116.0.1
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/116.0.1/releasenotes/?utm_source=firefox-browser&utm_medium=firefox-desktop&utm_campaign=about-dialog
(mind the wrap)

Re: Firefox v116!

<uak2rh$1qq6b$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=794&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#794

From: invalid@invalid.net (Shimon)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2023 01:00:00 +0100
 by: Shimon - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 00:00 UTC

On 04/08/2023 18:38, George wrote:
> ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:
>
>> https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/116.0.1/releasenotes/ & https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/116.0/releasenotes/
> And now ver. 116.0.1
> https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/116.0.1/releasenotes/?utm_source=firefox-browser&utm_medium=firefox-desktop&utm_campaign=about-dialog
> (mind the wrap)

Mozilla has become a joke. 115, 116 and now you say 116.0.1. What next?
We thought Ubuntu was bad for churning out updates everyday and now
Mozilla is competing with them. I'll stick with Windows 11, Outlook and Edge
or chrome.

Re: Firefox v116!

<bjzw967cb2cq$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=795&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#795

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2023 18:52:20 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 23:52 UTC

Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/116.0.1/releasenotes/ & https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/116.0/releasenotes/

What is this all about for some new Sidebar Switcher? I added the
Sidebar icon to the toolbar long ago. When the sidebar is displayed,
there is a drop-down list to select what to view: Bookmarks, History,
Synced Tabs (and the AnonAddy adds another panel to the Sidebar). I've
used that sidebar for a long time, and the drop-down list to select
between panels has also been there a long time -- so long ago that I
don't remember when I noticed it was easily available by dragging the
Sidebar icon to the toolbar when customizing the toolbar.

What has been missing ever since the Sidebar showed up is an option to
collapsed all other branches in the tree when selecting one of them.
The opened branches remain open which makes a nuisance to scroll past
them all to get to a different leaf in a different branch. Yes, I can
click the chevron to the left of a folder to expand or collapse, but
that's a manual operation. If I dig down to click on a bookmark, I
don't need to see the bookmarks in all the other previously opened
branches.

I updated to FF 116.0.1. Supposedly added was a volume slider in the
PIP (Picture In Picture) frame. You play a video, and a control shows
up in the video frame (window with a right-downward arrow) which opens
the video in a PIP window. Well, I see a Volume control (speaker icon)
to mute or unmute the audio, but there is no volume slider. It's not
needed anyway. Just the Up and Down arrow keys will change the volume.
Doesn't matter if the video is inside the document window, or a floating
PIP window. The Up and Down arrow keys change the volume. Been that
way, for me, for a long time. However, seems a bug in the PIP window.
Sometimes FF interprets the Up/Down keys as move operations to jump
earlier or later in the video, and sometimes FF interprets the Up/Down
arrow keys as volume changes. This bug occurs when the video is inside
the document window, or in the PIP window. To correct, I click on the
video to make sure it has focus, and Up/Down keys again work for
controlling volume. It's like FF has confused the Up/Down keys with the
Left/Right arrow keys.

Just to check it wasn't peculiar to watching Youtube videos in a PIP
window that gave me a speaker icon that only does mute/unmute, I went to
other sites (e.g., CNN, GameSpot) that have videos, and the PIP speaker
icon was still just a mute/unmute control.

A problem (defect) with the PIP window is its controls (timemark, 5-sec
jump back, 5-sec jump forward, pause/play, volume icon, and fullscreen
link) overlap the video instead of appear as a separate section under
the video. The result is the navbar of the PIP window can be difficult
to read. The underlying video, especially when there are closed
captions, can make it difficult to see the navbar in the PIP window.

I use the Enhancer For Youtube add-on. It's navbar is similarly
overlaid atop the video. However, it does have a volume slider although
I rarely used it (instead I used the Up/Down arrow keys). Clicking on
the volume icon also mutes/unmutes. When I scroll up or down the web
page which would normally place the video frame out of view, the add-on
scrolls a video frame up and down the web page when the video frame
would normally go out of view. It does not do PIP, though. It does add
a 3-dot menu to add many more functions (but I've not memorized what
they all do, and there is no on-hover popup bubbles to hint what each
control will do). While the add-on does add the volume slider that
supposedly FF116 was supposed to add to the PIP window, I still just use
the Up/Down keys to change volume. Yes, I have tried disabling the
add-on to ensure it doesn't interfere or mask the supposedly new PIP
features. The add-on really only triggers when viewing Youtube videos,
so the PIP feature in Firefox adds some some more features when viewing
videos elsewhere.

Whenever I visit a site that lets me upload a file to the site, I've
been able to drag the file from the desktop or File Explorer into the
document window. The site uses scripting to facilitate the move. For
example, at Imgur, I can drag an image file into Firefox to get the web
page to show I'm dragging a file into their web page. I've not needed
to drag other filetypes into a web page, so maybe this really is a
useful new feature in FF 116.

I don't see how the panel selector in the Sidebar is something new to FF
116. I've seen that for quite a while. I don't get the volume slider
in the PIP window, just the speaker icon to mute/unmute.

Other than perhaps security fixes, I don't qualification to move to the
next major version for the supposed new features in 116. A lot of
confetti tossing and sparklers, but nothing much for the fanfare.

Re: Firefox v116!

<pb4rci98n43b7rr5ai3btbkrnvu4q88mvk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=796&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#796

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2023 17:07:56 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 00:07 UTC

On Sat, 5 Aug 2023 01:00:00 +0100, Shimon <invalid@invalid.net> wrote:

>On 04/08/2023 18:38, George wrote:
>> ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:
>>
>>> https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/116.0.1/releasenotes/ & https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/116.0/releasenotes/
>> And now ver. 116.0.1
>> https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/116.0.1/releasenotes/?utm_source=firefox-browser&utm_medium=firefox-desktop&utm_campaign=about-dialog
>> (mind the wrap)
>
>Mozilla has become a joke. 115, 116 and now you say 116.0.1. What next?

Yes, they don't do enough testing and as a result, updates come out
too frequently. But as far as I'm concerned, despite that it's still
the best choice.

>We thought Ubuntu was bad for churning out updates everyday and now
>Mozilla is competing with them. I'll stick with Windows 11, Outlook and Edge
>or chrome.

Each to his own, of course. I also stick with Windows 11, and I think
it's fine. But Outlook? Whether you mean Outlook.exe or Outlook.com, I
think both are terrible. And I think Edge and Chrome are the two worst
of all browsers.

Re: Firefox v116!

<pl9rci1vgg0pe7ckcsbef07k0hcfp6lep3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=797&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#797

From: none@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2023 20:37:58 -0500
 by: Char Jackson - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 01:37 UTC

On Fri, 04 Aug 2023 17:07:56 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 5 Aug 2023 01:00:00 +0100, Shimon <invalid@invalid.net> wrote:

>>> And now ver. 116.0.1
>>> https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/116.0.1/releasenotes/?utm_source=firefox-browser&utm_medium=firefox-desktop&utm_campaign=about-dialog
>>> (mind the wrap)
>>
>>Mozilla has become a joke. 115, 116 and now you say 116.0.1. What next?
>

>Yes, they don't do enough testing and as a result, updates come out
>too frequently. But as far as I'm concerned, despite that it's still
>the best choice.
>

>>We thought Ubuntu was bad for churning out updates everyday and now
>>Mozilla is competing with them. I'll stick with Windows 11, Outlook and Edge
>>or chrome.
>

>Each to his own, of course. I also stick with Windows 11, and I think
>it's fine. But Outlook? Whether you mean Outlook.exe or Outlook.com, I
>think both are terrible. And I think Edge and Chrome are the two worst
>of all browsers.

I've been using MS Outlook.exe for over 20 years and I don't know what I'd do if
I had to abandon it. I've tried quite a few different email clients and all have
been absolutely dreadful. For web browsers, I use Edge and Chrome about 30% of
the time, combined, but Firefox is still my main browser. My biggest complaint
there is that I have to put the tabs back where they belong every now and then.

Re: Firefox v116!

<jrlscilb2vh15r16dsv4345rl5mraudj8k@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=803&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#803

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2023 07:09:25 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 14:09 UTC

On Fri, 04 Aug 2023 20:37:58 -0500, Char Jackson <none@none.invalid>
wrote:

>On Fri, 04 Aug 2023 17:07:56 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:

>>>Mozilla has become a joke. 115, 116 and now you say 116.0.1. What next?
>>

>>Yes, they don't do enough testing and as a result, updates come out
>>too frequently. But as far as I'm concerned, despite that it's still
>>the best choice.
>>

>>>We thought Ubuntu was bad for churning out updates everyday and now
>>>Mozilla is competing with them. I'll stick with Windows 11, Outlook and Edge
>>>or chrome.
>>

>>Each to his own, of course. I also stick with Windows 11, and I think
>>it's fine. But Outlook? Whether you mean Outlook.exe or Outlook.com, I
>>think both are terrible. And I think Edge and Chrome are the two worst
>>of all browsers.
>
>I've been using MS Outlook.exe for over 20 years and I don't know what I'd do if
>I had to abandon it.

As I said, each to his own. I hate it.

>I've tried quite a few different email clients and all have
>been absolutely dreadful. For web browsers, I use Edge and Chrome about 30% of
>the time, combined, but Firefox is still my main browser.

Again, each to his own. I never use Chrome, but I use Edge every now
and then only if FireFox can't get to a particular page.

My biggest complaint
>there is that I have to put the tabs back where they belong every now and then.

Firefox v116.0.2

<EdKcnb2dZeQayEz5nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=819&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#819

From: ant@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Subject: Firefox v116.0.2
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2023 20:35:19 +0000
 by: Ant - Mon, 7 Aug 2023 20:35 UTC

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/116.0.2/releasenotes/
--
"Six days do your work, but on the seventh day do not work, so that your ox and your donkey may rest and the slave born in your household, and the alien as well, may be refreshed." --Exodus 23:12. Will this wk B slammy like 2day's 3 dentist appts. & 2morrow's MS updates?
| |o o| |

Firefox v116.0.3

<L7udnRXkCsgr1UD5nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=856&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#856

From: ant@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Subject: Firefox v116.0.3
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 22:07:50 +0000
 by: Ant - Wed, 16 Aug 2023 22:07 UTC

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/116.0.3/releasenotes/
--
"But go and learn what this means: I desire mercy, not sacrifice. For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners." --Matthew 9:13. Overslept colony on Oceanic 815's somewhat slammy Tuesday. Slow hump day?
| |o o| |

Re: Firefox v116.0.3

<ubrbm4$10mv8$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=858&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#858

From: ahk@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: Re: Firefox v116.0.3
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 21:20:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sat, 19 Aug 2023 21:20 UTC

Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:

>https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/116.0.3/releasenotes/

Well, that took some time. Three days to wait for it to be offered on
Linux Mint.

I guess I'm providing my own exclamation points.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Firefox v116.0.3

<ubse48$rlc$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=864&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#864

From: hugybear@gmx.ch (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 09:07:52 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 07:07 UTC

Am 19.08.23 um 23:20 schrieb Adam H. Kerman:
> Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
>
>> https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/116.0.3/releasenotes/
>
> Well, that took some time. Three days to wait for it to be offered on
> Linux Mint.
>
> I guess I'm providing my own exclamation points.
>
> !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LMDE?

--
Manus manum lavat

Re: Firefox v116.0.3

<ubt8f0$1csle$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=867&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#867

From: ahk@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 14:37:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 14:37 UTC

Jorg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
>Am 19.08.23 um 23:20 schrieb Adam H. Kerman:
>>Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:

>>>https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/116.0.3/releasenotes/

>>Well, that took some time. Three days to wait for it to be offered on
>>Linux Mint.

>>I guess I'm providing my own exclamation points.

>>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>LMDE?

No

ICPTSGT

HTFWIKWTIWLIU?

WTFATIOTWUAWDC?

Re: Firefox v116.0.3

<ubt9ri$1alt$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=868&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#868

From: hugybear@gmx.ch (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 17:01:06 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 15:01 UTC

Am 20.08.23 um 16:37 schrieb Adam H. Kerman:
> Jorg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:

>>> Well, that took some time. Three days to wait for it to be offered on
>>> Linux Mint.
>
>>> I guess I'm providing my own exclamation points.
>
>>> !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
>> LMDE?
>
> No
>
> ICPTSGT
>
> HTFWIKWTIWLIU?
>
> WTFATIOTWUAWDC?

And you really wonder why your updates take that long?

LMDE
The Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) uses Debian Stable as the software
source base rather than Ubuntu. LMDE was originally based directly on
Debian's Testing branch, but is designed to provide the same
functionality and look and feel as the Ubuntu-based editions. LMDE has
its own package repositories.

(Wikipedia)

--
Alea iacta est

Re: Firefox v116.0.3

<ubtc1a$1dtqc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=871&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#871

From: ahk@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 15:38:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 15:38 UTC

Jorg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
>Am 20.08.23 um 16:37 schrieb Adam H. Kerman:
>>Jorg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:

>>>LMDE?

>>No

>>ICPTSGT

>>HTFWIKWTIWLIU?

>>WTFATIOTWUAWDC?

>And you really wonder why your updates take that long?

>LMDE
>The Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) uses Debian Stable as the software
>source base rather than Ubuntu. LMDE was originally based directly on
>Debian's Testing branch, but is designed to provide the same
>functionality and look and feel as the Ubuntu-based editions. LMDE has
>its own package repositories.

>(Wikipedia)

Ok. For the moment, I'm sitting on the sidelines, not making a change,
till I see if this is where the work actually shifts to.

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / Firefox v116!