From: someonewatchingyou@microsoft.com (Big Brother)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Stock Thermal Pad on Wraith Stealth Cooler
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2022 13:40:17 -0600
 by: Big Brother - Thu, 17 Feb 2022 19:40 UTC

New build with the following..

MSI B550 Tomahawk Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5600G CPU with stock Wraith Stealth Cooler
Antec 302 Case..Two front fans and one back fan..

Is the thermal pad that comes stock with the Wraith Stealth Cooler
adequate ?

I would not be doing any overclocking..

If not, do I remove the thermal pad and then apply thermal paste to the
CPU ?

Thanks..

Rich

Re: Stock Thermal Pad on Wraith Stealth Cooler

<j77o9pFlgm6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=786&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#786

From: rlamont@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: Stock Thermal Pad on Wraith Stealth Cooler
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2022 14:08:26 -0600
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Thu, 17 Feb 2022 20:08 UTC

On 2022-02-17 1:40 p.m., Big Brother wrote:
> New build with the following..
>
> MSI B550 Tomahawk Motherboard
> AMD Ryzen 5600G CPU with stock Wraith Stealth Cooler
> Antec 302 Case..Two front fans and one back fan..
>
> Is the thermal pad that comes stock with the Wraith Stealth Cooler
> adequate ?
>
> I would not be doing any overclocking..
>
> If not, do I remove the thermal pad and then apply thermal paste to the
> CPU ?
>
> Thanks..
>
> Rich

It probably is OK, but I always take it off and apply a thin layer of a
good brand Thermal paste, I find the thermal pads (TIM) tend to dry out
and are hard to remove later.

Rene

Re: Stock Thermal Pad on Wraith Stealth Cooler

<sumeuh$eo2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=787&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#787

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2022 16:33:04 -0500
 by: Paul - Thu, 17 Feb 2022 21:33 UTC

On 2/17/2022 2:40 PM, Big Brother wrote:
> New build with the following..
>
> MSI B550 Tomahawk Motherboard
> AMD Ryzen 5600G CPU with stock Wraith Stealth Cooler
> Antec 302 Case..Two front fans and one back fan..
>
> Is the thermal pad that comes stock with the Wraith Stealth Cooler adequate ?
>
> I would not be doing any overclocking..
>
> If not, do I remove the thermal pad and then apply thermal paste to the CPU ?
>
> Thanks..
>
> Rich

You have to mount the cooler, while the motherboard is out of the case.

While you're working, some hardware will attempt to fall off the setup.

The end result is, your received thermal solution will be damaged
(smeared about), before you even have a chance to try it out.

I would personally have preferred if it came as a "dry fit", so
I could do a test fitting, discover that I didn't understand how
the mounting hardware works, *then* apply paste from a supplied applicator.

Pre-screened on pastes, should only go on things that "can't fail
to install correctly no matter what". The Intel push pin things,
as pitiful as they are, the fit is obvious in terms of "landings"
and "assembly".

I ended up putting paste from my own paste supply on the 5600G. And all
because I "assumed" you could mount the cooler when the motherboard
was installed.

The thermals on the 5600G are such, that just about any paste would do.

If you were overclocking, then your mileage may vary. It doesn't
go all the way to 65W all that often, and 30-35W is more typical.
Only Prime95 small FFTs might make your VCore heatsinks warm.
Many times there's no heat at all apparent in the VCore heatsinks
(because the Wraith is a blow-down cooler and that takes care of it).

On my previous (Intel) build from five years ago, I *burned* myself
on the VCore cooler. And this is why we check the surface temperature...
Each build is different, and can offer a "surprise" for you. On that
build, I added a separate fan for VCore.

One of the reasons they can make burning-hot VCore, is there
is no thermal-runaway on the new designs. On the older designs,
a MOSFET can become resistive, heat up, become more resistive,
heat up more, a kind of runaway behavior. That's why in the
old days, we would never accept a "scalding hot" VCore, because
it implied the motherboard was going to destroy itself. Modern
designs have a power limiter to stop that. But it also means
that "yokels" can put too-small coolers on VCore. No more
generous copper coolers with heatpipes. Only a "God-like" SKU
has a decent cooler.

Paul

computers / alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt / Stock Thermal Pad on Wraith Stealth Cooler