<sangr> home is where the highest bandwidth is

devel / comp.sys.acorn.apps / Messenger Pro.

SubjectAuthor
* Messenger Pro.Dave Plowman (News)
+- Re: Messenger Pro.stephen.hull
`* Re: Messenger Pro.Paul Stewart
 +* Re: Messenger Pro.Dave Plowman (News)
 |`* Re: Messenger Pro.Chris Hughes
 | +* Re: Messenger Pro.Dave Plowman (News)
 | |+* Re: Messenger Pro.Paul Stewart
 | ||`* Re: Messenger Pro.Dave Plowman (News)
 | || `* Re: Messenger Pro.Chris Hughes
 | ||  `* Re: Messenger Pro.Dave Plowman (News)
 | ||   `* Re: Messenger Pro.Harriet Bazley
 | ||    `- Re: Messenger Pro.Dave Plowman (News)
 | |`* Re: Messenger Pro.druck
 | | `* Re: Messenger Pro.Dave Plowman (News)
 | |  `* Re: Messenger Pro.druck
 | |   +* Re: Messenger Pro.Chris Newman
 | |   |`- Re: Messenger Pro.Chris Hughes
 | |   `* Re: Messenger Pro.Chris Hughes
 | |    +- Re: Messenger Pro.druck
 | |    +* Re: Messenger Pro.Chris Hughes
 | |    |`- Re: Messenger Pro.Dave Plowman (News)
 | |    `- Re: Messenger Pro.Paul Stewart
 | `* Re: Messenger Pro.Steve Fryatt
 |  `- Re: Messenger Pro.Chris Hughes
 `* Re: Messenger Pro.Dave Plowman (News)
  `* Re: Messenger Pro.Paul Stewart
   `* Re: Messenger Pro.Dave Plowman (News)
    `* Re: Messenger Pro.Dave Plowman (News)
     `* Re: Messenger Pro.Doug Webb
      `* Re: Messenger Pro.Steve Fryatt
       +* Re: Messenger Pro.John
       |`- Re: Messenger Pro.John
       +* Re: Messenger Pro.Chris Hughes
       |`- Re: Messenger Pro.Dave Plowman (News)
       `* Re: Messenger Pro.Dave Plowman (News)
        `* Re: Messenger Pro.Chris Craig
         +- Re: Messenger Pro.Chris Craig
         `- Re: Messenger Pro.Dave Plowman (News)

Pages:12
Messenger Pro.

<5980e4f0dcdave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=780&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#780

From: dave@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Subject: Messenger Pro.
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 11:16:08 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Mon, 25 Oct 2021 10:16 UTC

History is my email host, 123-reg, changed from a pop box to mail box. And
it seems Pluto/POPstar can't do imap. My other used email address with BT
still works normally with Pluto. In other words, a real PITA.

Had plenty problems sorting out the 123-reg side, as to be perfectly
honest the way things like 'host' and so on is used seems to vary so much.
But likely me not understanding it.

But I now have dave@davesound.co.uk (with 123-reg) working correctly with
Thunderbird.

Getting Messanger Pro to do the same is defeating me.

Seems to be the site settings RemoteNB.

What should the Host name be?
Mail Domain presumably davesound.co.uk.

And on server settings:-
What should SSL/TLS be set to?

Andrew has been very helpful, but what I need is an idiot's guide.

--
*See no evil, Hear no evil, Date no evil.

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Messenger Pro.

<ce7f0f8159.Steve@btopenworld.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=782&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#782

From: stephen.hull@btinternet.com
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Subject: Re: Messenger Pro.
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 19:00:59 +0100
 by: stephen.hull@btinternet.com - Mon, 25 Oct 2021 18:00 UTC

In message <5980e4f0dcdave@davenoise.co.uk>
"Dave Plowman (News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

>History is my email host, 123-reg, changed from a pop box to mail box. And
>it seems Pluto/POPstar can't do imap. My other used email address with BT
>still works normally with Pluto. In other words, a real PITA.
>
>Had plenty problems sorting out the 123-reg side, as to be perfectly
>honest the way things like 'host' and so on is used seems to vary so much.
>But likely me not understanding it.
>
>But I now have dave@davesound.co.uk (with 123-reg) working correctly with
>Thunderbird.

Have you tried dave.davesound.co.uk in Messanger Pro?

--

Re: Messenger Pro.

<45f4218159.Paul@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=783&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#783

From: narrowboat-paul@outlook.com (Paul Stewart)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 22:22:34 +0100
 by: Paul Stewart - Mon, 25 Oct 2021 21:22 UTC

In message <5980e4f0dcdave@davenoise.co.uk>
"Dave Plowman (News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

> But I now have dave@davesound.co.uk (with 123-reg) working correctly with
> Thunderbird.

> Getting Messanger Pro to do the same is defeating me.

> Seems to be the site settings RemoteNB.

> What should the Host name be?
> Mail Domain presumably davesound.co.uk.

> And on server settings:-
> What should SSL/TLS be set to?

> Andrew has been very helpful, but what I need is an idiot's guide.

I've always thought setting up IMAP in Messenger Pro is way harder than it
ought to be.

I used to run MPro with 123-reg some time ago, but now use it with
Outlook. Let's see if I can point you in the right direction.

1. Open !RemoteNB from with !Messenger.Servers (quit MPro 1st)
2. From the iconbar menu, select Site
3. Host name is your domain name. For me it is outlook.com. For you this
will be davesound.co.uk
4. Mail domain most likely again davesound.co.uk
5. Save Settings
6. Click Server from the menu
7. Server name - 123 imap server: imap.123-reg.co.uk
8. Use SSL/TLS User SSL/TLS when available
9. For my Outlook setup, in Private folder path I have it set as: ~/mail
10. Outgoing mail smtp.123-reg.co.uk
11. Use SSL/TLS User SSL/TLS when available
12. I also have News (NNTP) configured as nntp.aioe.org
13. Save Settins
14. Click Users from the menu and edit/create yourself
15. Click Remote details button and enter your login details for your 123
account. Most likely your email address as the account name
16. Click Server Details and confirm the server name, smpt and nntp
details have present. If not, you will have to re-enter them. Click
relevant set and save buttons. Quit RemoteNB and Open MPro. With a bit
of luck, you will be good to go.

Dave. Hopefully the above helps you out a little and does not cause more
confusion. IMAP does work in MPro, just not a walk in the park like
Thunderbird or Outlook to configure.
--
Paul Stewart
Sent from A9home running RISC OS 4.42

Re: Messenger Pro.

<598169be33dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=786&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#786

From: dave@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 11:26:42 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Tue, 26 Oct 2021 10:26 UTC

In article <45f4218159.Paul@outlook.com>,
Paul Stewart <narrowboat-paul@outlook.com> wrote:
> In message <5980e4f0dcdave@davenoise.co.uk>
> "Dave Plowman (News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

> > But I now have dave@davesound.co.uk (with 123-reg) working correctly with
> > Thunderbird.

> > Getting Messanger Pro to do the same is defeating me.

> > Seems to be the site settings RemoteNB.

> > What should the Host name be?
> > Mail Domain presumably davesound.co.uk.

> > And on server settings:-
> > What should SSL/TLS be set to?

> > Andrew has been very helpful, but what I need is an idiot's guide.

> I've always thought setting up IMAP in Messenger Pro is way harder than it
> ought to be.

> I used to run MPro with 123-reg some time ago, but now use it with
> Outlook. Let's see if I can point you in the right direction.

> 1. Open !RemoteNB from with !Messenger.Servers (quit MPro 1st)
> 2. From the iconbar menu, select Site
> 3. Host name is your domain name. For me it is outlook.com. For you this
> will be davesound.co.uk
> 4. Mail domain most likely again davesound.co.uk
> 5. Save Settings
> 6. Click Server from the menu
> 7. Server name - 123 imap server: imap.123-reg.co.uk
> 8. Use SSL/TLS User SSL/TLS when available
> 9. For my Outlook setup, in Private folder path I have it set as: ~/mail
> 10. Outgoing mail smtp.123-reg.co.uk
> 11. Use SSL/TLS User SSL/TLS when available
> 12. I also have News (NNTP) configured as nntp.aioe.org
> 13. Save Settins
> 14. Click Users from the menu and edit/create yourself
> 15. Click Remote details button and enter your login details for your 123
> account. Most likely your email address as the account name
> 16. Click Server Details and confirm the server name, smpt and nntp
> details have present. If not, you will have to re-enter them. Click
> relevant set and save buttons. Quit RemoteNB and Open MPro. With a bit
> of luck, you will be good to go.

> Dave. Hopefully the above helps you out a little and does not cause more
> confusion. IMAP does work in MPro, just not a walk in the park like
> Thunderbird or Outlook to configure.

Thanks, Paul. Think this is exactly what I need. Unfortunately seem to
have broken Messenger. Most of the options in the menu now greyed out.

--
*Whatever kind of look you were going for, you missed.

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Messenger Pro.

<aff6718159.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=787&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#787

From: news13@noonehere.co.uk (Chris Hughes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 12:56:29 +0100
 by: Chris Hughes - Tue, 26 Oct 2021 11:56 UTC

In message <598169be33dave@davenoise.co.uk>
"Dave Plowman (News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <45f4218159.Paul@outlook.com>,
> Paul Stewart <narrowboat-paul@outlook.com> wrote:
>> In message <5980e4f0dcdave@davenoise.co.uk>
>> "Dave Plowman (News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

>>> But I now have dave@davesound.co.uk (with 123-reg) working correctly with
>>> Thunderbird.

>>> Getting Messanger Pro to do the same is defeating me.

>>> Seems to be the site settings RemoteNB.

>>> What should the Host name be?
>>> Mail Domain presumably davesound.co.uk.

>>> And on server settings:-
>>> What should SSL/TLS be set to?

>>> Andrew has been very helpful, but what I need is an idiot's guide.

>> I've always thought setting up IMAP in Messenger Pro is way harder than it
>> ought to be.

>> I used to run MPro with 123-reg some time ago, but now use it with
>> Outlook. Let's see if I can point you in the right direction.

>> 1. Open !RemoteNB from with !Messenger.Servers (quit MPro 1st)
>> 2. From the iconbar menu, select Site
>> 3. Host name is your domain name. For me it is outlook.com. For you this
>> will be davesound.co.uk
>> 4. Mail domain most likely again davesound.co.uk
>> 5. Save Settings
>> 6. Click Server from the menu
>> 7. Server name - 123 imap server: imap.123-reg.co.uk
>> 8. Use SSL/TLS User SSL/TLS when available
>> 9. For my Outlook setup, in Private folder path I have it set as: ~/mail
>> 10. Outgoing mail smtp.123-reg.co.uk
>> 11. Use SSL/TLS User SSL/TLS when available
>> 12. I also have News (NNTP) configured as nntp.aioe.org
>> 13. Save Settins
>> 14. Click Users from the menu and edit/create yourself
>> 15. Click Remote details button and enter your login details for your 123
>> account. Most likely your email address as the account name
>> 16. Click Server Details and confirm the server name, smpt and nntp
>> details have present. If not, you will have to re-enter them. Click
>> relevant set and save buttons. Quit RemoteNB and Open MPro. With a bit
>> of luck, you will be good to go.

>> Dave. Hopefully the above helps you out a little and does not cause more
>> confusion. IMAP does work in MPro, just not a walk in the park like
>> Thunderbird or Outlook to configure.

> Thanks, Paul. Think this is exactly what I need. Unfortunately seem to
> have broken Messenger. Most of the options in the menu now greyed out.

Dave, within the Messenger Pro Zip file you would have got is a Tips
folder, explaining how you would configure IMAP for Gmail or
Hotmail(Outlook.com) for instance, the process is basically the same as
Paul has suggested.

The only bit I can see missing from the above is the following taken from
the Tip file.

quote:
Finally, click "Access control..." and make sure to tick
"User is a system administrator".

Click Set, then Save.

Finally, quit !RemoteNB from iconbar, and run !Messenger.
End Quote:

--
Chris Hughes

Re: Messenger Pro.

<59817dc8a3dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=788&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#788

From: dave@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 15:05:39 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Tue, 26 Oct 2021 14:05 UTC

In article <aff6718159.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>,
Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <598169be33dave@davenoise.co.uk>
> "Dave Plowman (News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

> > In article <45f4218159.Paul@outlook.com>,
> > Paul Stewart <narrowboat-paul@outlook.com> wrote:

> >> I've always thought setting up IMAP in Messenger Pro is way harder than it
> >> ought to be.

> >> I used to run MPro with 123-reg some time ago, but now use it with
> >> Outlook. Let's see if I can point you in the right direction.

> >> 1. Open !RemoteNB from with !Messenger.Servers (quit MPro 1st)
> >> 2. From the iconbar menu, select Site
> >> 3. Host name is your domain name. For me it is outlook.com. For you this
> >> will be davesound.co.uk
> >> 4. Mail domain most likely again davesound.co.uk
> >> 5. Save Settings
> >> 6. Click Server from the menu
> >> 7. Server name - 123 imap server: imap.123-reg.co.uk
> >> 8. Use SSL/TLS User SSL/TLS when available
> >> 9. For my Outlook setup, in Private folder path I have it set as: ~/mail
> >> 10. Outgoing mail smtp.123-reg.co.uk
> >> 11. Use SSL/TLS User SSL/TLS when available
> >> 12. I also have News (NNTP) configured as nntp.aioe.org
> >> 13. Save Settins
> >> 14. Click Users from the menu and edit/create yourself
> >> 15. Click Remote details button and enter your login details for your 123
> >> account. Most likely your email address as the account name
> >> 16. Click Server Details and confirm the server name, smpt and nntp
> >> details have present. If not, you will have to re-enter them. Click
> >> relevant set and save buttons. Quit RemoteNB and Open MPro. With a bit
> >> of luck, you will be good to go.

> >> Dave. Hopefully the above helps you out a little and does not cause more
> >> confusion. IMAP does work in MPro, just not a walk in the park like
> >> Thunderbird or Outlook to configure.

> > Thanks, Paul. Think this is exactly what I need. Unfortunately seem to
> > have broken Messenger. Most of the options in the menu now greyed out.

> Dave, within the Messenger Pro Zip file you would have got is a Tips
> folder, explaining how you would configure IMAP for Gmail or
> Hotmail(Outlook.com) for instance, the process is basically the same as
> Paul has suggested.

> The only bit I can see missing from the above is the following taken from
> the Tip file.

> quote:
> Finally, click "Access control..." and make sure to tick
> "User is a system administrator".

> Click Set, then Save.

> Finally, quit !RemoteNB from iconbar, and run !Messenger.
> End Quote:

Not sure what I've got here. Bought from Andrew with the only requirement
to use my dave@davesound.co.uk address with 123-reg. And don't think I've
got Messenger Pro, but a tweaked version of Messenger.

Although RemoteNB does say it's for Messenger Pro and IMAP.

Been through all the details in both these posts and get IMAP login fail
authentication error.

Can I just check again. In site settings and host name. There are two
boxes with a dot between them. I've entered davesound in the first and
co.uk in the second. Which makes no sense to me.

I've tried leaving the first box blank and davesound.co.uk in the second.

And dave in the first box too.

--
*I yell because I care

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Messenger Pro.

<2c9a9f8159.Paul@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=789&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#789

From: narrowboat-paul@outlook.com (Paul Stewart)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 21:14:59 +0100
 by: Paul Stewart - Tue, 26 Oct 2021 20:14 UTC

In message <59817dc8a3dave@davenoise.co.uk>
"Dave Plowman (News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

> Although RemoteNB does say it's for Messenger Pro and IMAP.

> Been through all the details in both these posts and get IMAP login fail
> authentication error.

> Can I just check again. In site settings and host name. There are two
> boxes with a dot between them. I've entered davesound in the first and
> co.uk in the second. Which makes no sense to me.

> I've tried leaving the first box blank and davesound.co.uk in the second.

> And dave in the first box too.

Host name box 1: davesound (outlook)
Host name box 2: .co.uk (.com)
Mail domain: davesound.co.uk (outlook.com)

I've added in brackets how mine is configured for outlook as comparison.
--
Paul Stewart
Sent from A9home running RISC OS 4.42

Re: Messenger Pro.

<5981ed5604dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=791&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#791

From: dave@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 11:24:02 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 10:24 UTC

In article <2c9a9f8159.Paul@outlook.com>,
Paul Stewart <narrowboat-paul@outlook.com> wrote:
> In message <59817dc8a3dave@davenoise.co.uk>
> "Dave Plowman (News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

> > Although RemoteNB does say it's for Messenger Pro and IMAP.

> > Been through all the details in both these posts and get IMAP login fail
> > authentication error.

> > Can I just check again. In site settings and host name. There are two
> > boxes with a dot between them. I've entered davesound in the first and
> > co.uk in the second. Which makes no sense to me.

> > I've tried leaving the first box blank and davesound.co.uk in the second.

> > And dave in the first box too.

> Host name box 1: davesound (outlook)
> Host name box 2: .co.uk (.com)
> Mail domain: davesound.co.uk (outlook.com)

> I've added in brackets how mine is configured for outlook as comparison.

That's how I first did it. But still doesn't work.

On Thunderbird, I had to set the 'fetch' port to 993. SMTP to 465. As
that's what 123-reg says to use. And it works there.

Where is the configuration data actually stored? So I could check there's
nothing looks odd there. It worries me that most of the Messenger menu is
greyed out - it wasn't when I originally installed it.

--
*Some people are only alive because it is illegal to kill.

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Messenger Pro.

<5376f68159.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=792&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#792

From: news13@noonehere.co.uk (Chris Hughes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 13:03:43 +0100
 by: Chris Hughes - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 12:03 UTC

In message <5981ed5604dave@davenoise.co.uk>
"Dave Plowman (News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <2c9a9f8159.Paul@outlook.com>,
> Paul Stewart <narrowboat-paul@outlook.com> wrote:
>> In message <59817dc8a3dave@davenoise.co.uk>
>> "Dave Plowman (News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Although RemoteNB does say it's for Messenger Pro and IMAP.

>>> Been through all the details in both these posts and get IMAP login fail
>>> authentication error.

>>> Can I just check again. In site settings and host name. There are two
>>> boxes with a dot between them. I've entered davesound in the first and
>>> co.uk in the second. Which makes no sense to me.

>>> I've tried leaving the first box blank and davesound.co.uk in the second.

>>> And dave in the first box too.

>> Host name box 1: davesound (outlook)
>> Host name box 2: .co.uk (.com)
>> Mail domain: davesound.co.uk (outlook.com)

>> I've added in brackets how mine is configured for outlook as comparison.

> That's how I first did it. But still doesn't work.

> On Thunderbird, I had to set the 'fetch' port to 993. SMTP to 465. As
> that's what 123-reg says to use. And it works there.

> Where is the configuration data actually stored? So I could check there's
> nothing looks odd there. It worries me that most of the Messenger menu is
> greyed out - it wasn't when I originally installed it.

Dave, my settings are stored in:
!Hermes.Choices.Accounts

So would expect yours to be in a similar location.

I suspect the reason for the greyed out menu options is because you forgot
to make your self the Administrator of the account, thus now treated as
just a user.

In Messenger pro goto the icon bar menu > choices > user Management (click
on it to open) find the user you set up - double clicking on it should
open another window and at the bottom of that window is a button called
'Access control' click on that and ensure the 'user is a system
administrator' is ticked.

You also check which ports for sending and receiving (IMAP and SMTP) are
set to via the messenger pro Choices window as well. Click on the Server
choices Icon and then the network button and you will hopefully see what
ports have been set for IMAP and SMTP.

See how you get on.

--
Chris Hughes

Re: Messenger Pro.

<59820a81afdave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=794&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#794

From: dave@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 16:42:43 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 15:42 UTC

In article <5376f68159.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>,
Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <5981ed5604dave@davenoise.co.uk>
> "Dave Plowman (News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

> > In article <2c9a9f8159.Paul@outlook.com>,
> > Paul Stewart <narrowboat-paul@outlook.com> wrote:

> >> Host name box 1: davesound (outlook)
> >> Host name box 2: .co.uk (.com)
> >> Mail domain: davesound.co.uk (outlook.com)

> >> I've added in brackets how mine is configured for outlook as comparison.

> > That's how I first did it. But still doesn't work.

> > On Thunderbird, I had to set the 'fetch' port to 993. SMTP to 465. As
> > that's what 123-reg says to use. And it works there.

> > Where is the configuration data actually stored? So I could check there's
> > nothing looks odd there. It worries me that most of the Messenger menu is
> > greyed out - it wasn't when I originally installed it.

> Dave, my settings are stored in:
> !Hermes.Choices.Accounts

> So would expect yours to be in a similar location.

> I suspect the reason for the greyed out menu options is because you forgot
> to make your self the Administrator of the account, thus now treated as
> just a user.

> In Messenger pro goto the icon bar menu > choices > user Management (click
> on it to open) find the user you set up - double clicking on it should
> open another window and at the bottom of that window is a button called
> 'Access control' click on that and ensure the 'user is a system
> administrator' is ticked.

Err, choices in the Messenger menu is greyed out. ;-) But it is set to
administrator in RemoteNB.

> You also check which ports for sending and receiving (IMAP and SMTP) are
> set to via the messenger pro Choices window as well. Click on the Server
> choices Icon and then the network button and you will hopefully see what
> ports have been set for IMAP and SMTP.

> See how you get on.

Only place I can find port info is in Hermes choices.

--
*I love cats...they taste just like chicken.

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Messenger Pro.

<1d670e8259.harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=796&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#796

From: harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk (Harriet Bazley)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 17:25:13 +0100
 by: Harriet Bazley - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 16:25 UTC

On 27 Oct 2021 as I do recall,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

> In article <5376f68159.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>,
> Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

[snip]

> > I suspect the reason for the greyed out menu options is because you
> > forgot to make your self the Administrator of the account, thus now
> > treated as just a user.
>
> > In Messenger pro goto the icon bar menu > choices > user Management
> > (click on it to open) find the user you set up - double clicking on
> > it should open another window and at the bottom of that window is a
> > button called 'Access control' click on that and ensure the 'user
> > is a system administrator' is ticked.
>
> Err, choices in the Messenger menu is greyed out. ;-)

Yes, it will be if you're logged in as a non-admin user - mine is at
the moment, and I have to log out and specifically log in as admin if I
want to do any reconfiguration.

If you open the log-in window from the iconbar menu and click on the
menu icon to the right of the 'User name' writable icon, it should give
you a list of all the available users. (And the text file
!NewsDir.MsgServe.Users will list every user set up on the system,
including any you may have accidentally or deliberately set up as
'secret' which don't appear in the menu.)

--
Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie ==

My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Re: Messenger Pro.

<sldlnh$eqt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=798&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#798

From: news@druck.org.uk (druck)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 09:07:12 +0100
 by: druck - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 08:07 UTC

> Not sure what I've got here. Bought from Andrew with the only requirement
> to use my dave@davesound.co.uk address with 123-reg. And don't think I've
> got Messenger Pro, but a tweaked version of Messenger.

I doubt if you are using Messenger non Pro unless you are running it on
an abacus. It might be useful if you give us the version numbers of all
the software you are trying to set up here.

---druck

Re: Messenger Pro.

<59826f46ecdave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=799&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#799

From: dave@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 11:03:20 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 10:03 UTC

In article <1d670e8259.harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk>,
Harriet Bazley <harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk> wrote:
> > Err, choices in the Messenger menu is greyed out. ;-)

> Yes, it will be if you're logged in as a non-admin user - mine is at
> the moment, and I have to log out and specifically log in as admin if I
> want to do any reconfiguration.

> If you open the log-in window from the iconbar menu and click on the
> menu icon to the right of the 'User name' writable icon, it should give
> you a list of all the available users.

Only Dave there.

> (And the text file
> !NewsDir.MsgServe.Users will list every user set up on the system,
> including any you may have accidentally or deliberately set up as
> 'secret' which don't appear in the menu.)

Ah - no Users file there. Just Groups and Groups~

--
*There are two kinds of pedestrians... the quick and the dead.

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Messenger Pro.

<59826ffdfddave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=800&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#800

From: dave@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 11:11:09 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 10:11 UTC

In article <sldlnh$eqt$1@dont-email.me>,
druck <news@druck.org.uk> wrote:
> On 26/10/2021 15:05, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> > Not sure what I've got here. Bought from Andrew with the only requirement
> > to use my dave@davesound.co.uk address with 123-reg. And don't think I've
> > got Messenger Pro, but a tweaked version of Messenger.

> I doubt if you are using Messenger non Pro unless you are running it on
> an abacus. It might be useful if you give us the version numbers of all
> the software you are trying to set up here.

Info for Messenger says

Messenger NF
R-Comp 1998-2012
5.4.00 (Netfetch) (22-Oct-2015

Bundle version supplied with Netfetch.

It was bought only a few weeks ago from Andrew. Just for imap as 123-reg
changed everyone from a popbox to a mailbox. Pluto/POPstar still works OK
with my other email address from BT.

--
*Microsoft broke Volkswagen's record: They only made 21.4 million bugs.

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Messenger Pro.

<sle166$ts5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=801&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#801

From: news@druck.org.uk (druck)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 12:22:46 +0100
 by: druck - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 11:22 UTC

> Info for Messenger says
>
> Messenger NF
> R-Comp 1998-2012
> 5.4.00 (Netfetch) (22-Oct-2015
>
> Bundle version supplied with Netfetch.
>
> It was bought only a few weeks ago from Andrew.

This is puzzling as 2015 is very old. I think I'm on the latest non
bundled versions according to PligStore, and I have:-

Messenger Pro 8.40 (20-Aug-2019)
NetFetch 5.52 (1st May, 2019)
Heremes 5.52 (30 Apr 2020)

---druck

Re: Messenger Pro.

<5982795c11cvjazz@waitrose.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=802&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#802

From: cvjazz@waitrose.com (Chris Newman)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 12:53:28 +0100
 by: Chris Newman - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 11:53 UTC

In article <sle166$ts5$1@dont-email.me>,
druck <news@druck.org.uk> wrote:
> On 28/10/2021 11:11, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> > Info for Messenger says
> >
> > Messenger NF
> > R-Comp 1998-2012
> > 5.4.00 (Netfetch) (22-Oct-2015
> >
> > Bundle version supplied with Netfetch.
> >
> > It was bought only a few weeks ago from Andrew.

> This is puzzling as 2015 is very old. I think I'm on the latest non
> bundled versions according to PligStore, and I have:-

> Messenger Pro 8.40 (20-Aug-2019)
> NetFetch 5.52 (1st May, 2019)
> Heremes 5.52 (30 Apr 2020)

I have

Hermes 5.52
NetFetch 5.53

NetFetch is up to 5.5 on the !Store but there is no price for an upgrade,
only the full prog.

There is no separate entry for Hermes.

--
Chris Newman

Re: Messenger Pro.

<a8c1798259.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=803&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#803

From: news13@noonehere.co.uk (Chris Hughes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 12:57:48 +0100
 by: Chris Hughes - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 11:57 UTC

In message <sle166$ts5$1@dont-email.me>
druck <news@druck.org.uk> wrote:

> On 28/10/2021 11:11, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
>> Info for Messenger says
>>
>> Messenger NF
>> R-Comp 1998-2012
>> 5.4.00 (Netfetch) (22-Oct-2015
>>
>> Bundle version supplied with Netfetch.
>>
>> It was bought only a few weeks ago from Andrew.

> This is puzzling as 2015 is very old. I think I'm on the latest non
> bundled versions according to PligStore, and I have:-

> Messenger Pro 8.40 (20-Aug-2019)

Do you have a Tardis? R-Comp have only just release 8.05wpb1 a few days
ago - available on !Store

> NetFetch 5.52 (1st May, 2019)
> Heremes 5.52 (30 Apr 2020)

Both now on v5.53

--
Chris Hughes

Re: Messenger Pro.

<sle4cg$jap$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=804&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#804

From: news@druck.org.uk (druck)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 13:17:20 +0100
 by: druck - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 12:17 UTC

On 28/10/2021 12:57, Chris Hughes wrote:
> In message <sle166$ts5$1@dont-email.me>
> druck <news@druck.org.uk> wrote:
>> Messenger Pro 8.40 (20-Aug-2019)
>
> Do you have a Tardis? R-Comp have only just release 8.05wpb1 a few days
> ago - available on !Store

Sorry, its 8.04

---druck

Re: Messenger Pro.

<684b7c8259.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=805&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#805

From: news13@noonehere.co.uk (Chris Hughes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 13:25:31 +0100
 by: Chris Hughes - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 12:25 UTC

In message <5982795c11cvjazz@waitrose.com>
Chris Newman <cvjazz@waitrose.com> wrote:

> In article <sle166$ts5$1@dont-email.me>,
> druck <news@druck.org.uk> wrote:
>> On 28/10/2021 11:11, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
>>> Info for Messenger says
>>>
>>> Messenger NF
>>> R-Comp 1998-2012
>>> 5.4.00 (Netfetch) (22-Oct-2015
>>>
>>> Bundle version supplied with Netfetch.
>>>
>>> It was bought only a few weeks ago from Andrew.

>> This is puzzling as 2015 is very old. I think I'm on the latest non
>> bundled versions according to PligStore, and I have:-

>> Messenger Pro 8.40 (20-Aug-2019)
>> NetFetch 5.52 (1st May, 2019)
>> Heremes 5.52 (30 Apr 2020)

> I have

> Hermes 5.52
> NetFetch 5.53

> NetFetch is up to 5.5 on the !Store but there is no price for an upgrade,
> only the full prog.

Err not sure where you are looking but !Store says:

Name Version Supplier Price
NetFetch 5.5 5.53 R-Comp �15.00*

the * indicating is a special upgrade price for existing customer

> There is no separate entry for Hermes.

That would be because its part of NetFetch.

--
Chris Hughes

Re: Messenger Pro.

<24727c8259.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=806&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#806

From: news13@noonehere.co.uk (Chris Hughes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 13:27:11 +0100
 by: Chris Hughes - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 12:27 UTC

In message <a8c1798259.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>
Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <sle166$ts5$1@dont-email.me>
> druck <news@druck.org.uk> wrote:

>> On 28/10/2021 11:11, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
>>> Info for Messenger says
>>>
>>> Messenger NF
>>> R-Comp 1998-2012
>>> 5.4.00 (Netfetch) (22-Oct-2015
>>>
>>> Bundle version supplied with Netfetch.
>>>
>>> It was bought only a few weeks ago from Andrew.

>> This is puzzling as 2015 is very old. I think I'm on the latest non
>> bundled versions according to PligStore, and I have:-

>> Messenger Pro 8.40 (20-Aug-2019)

> Do you have a Tardis? R-Comp have only just release 8.05wpb1 a few days
> ago - available on !Store

>> NetFetch 5.52 (1st May, 2019)
>> Heremes 5.52 (30 Apr 2020)

> Both now on v5.53

Correction

NetFetch is now 5.53, but Hermes is still 5.52

--
Chris Hughes

Re: Messenger Pro.

<59828952aedave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=807&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#807

From: dave@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 15:47:50 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 14:47 UTC

Excuse my confusion.

Is Netfetch actually involved with imap?

You seem to be able to configure it all using !RemoteNB inside Messenger.
Which is how Andrew said to do it, IIRC.

I was hoping to keep Pluto/POPstar for my BT address.
And just use Messenger for @davesound which is imap.

But having now been forced to use Thunderbird on the dark side only, I'm
beginning to think this (email) is one more RISCOS facility I'll no longer
use.

If only someone had upgraded POPstar (or anything else that would work
with Pluto for imap) I'd be a happy bunny.

--
*Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it *

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Messenger Pro.

<513ea78259.Paul@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=808&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#808

From: narrowboat-paul@outlook.com (Paul Stewart)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 21:14:38 +0100
 by: Paul Stewart - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 20:14 UTC

In message <a8c1798259.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>
Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

>> NetFetch 5.52 (1st May, 2019)
>> Heremes 5.52 (30 Apr 2020)

> Both now on v5.53

Only just realised my NetFetch is quite out of date. Only running 5.05
here. Although my MPro is 8.05wpb1.
--
Paul Stewart
Sent from A9home running RISC OS 4.42

Re: Messenger Pro.

<5982f3f5b1dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=815&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#815

From: dave@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 11:12:38 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 10:12 UTC

In article <45f4218159.Paul@outlook.com>,
Paul Stewart <narrowboat-paul@outlook.com> wrote:
> In message <5980e4f0dcdave@davenoise.co.uk>
> "Dave Plowman (News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

> > But I now have dave@davesound.co.uk (with 123-reg) working correctly with
> > Thunderbird.

> > Getting Messanger Pro to do the same is defeating me.

> > Seems to be the site settings RemoteNB.

> > What should the Host name be?
> > Mail Domain presumably davesound.co.uk.

> > And on server settings:-
> > What should SSL/TLS be set to?

> > Andrew has been very helpful, but what I need is an idiot's guide.

> I've always thought setting up IMAP in Messenger Pro is way harder than it
> ought to be.

> I used to run MPro with 123-reg some time ago, but now use it with
> Outlook. Let's see if I can point you in the right direction.

> 1. Open !RemoteNB from with !Messenger.Servers (quit MPro 1st)
> 2. From the iconbar menu, select Site
> 3. Host name is your domain name. For me it is outlook.com. For you this
> will be davesound.co.uk
> 4. Mail domain most likely again davesound.co.uk
> 5. Save Settings
> 6. Click Server from the menu
> 7. Server name - 123 imap server: imap.123-reg.co.uk
> 8. Use SSL/TLS User SSL/TLS when available
> 9. For my Outlook setup, in Private folder path I have it set as: ~/mail
> 10. Outgoing mail smtp.123-reg.co.uk
> 11. Use SSL/TLS User SSL/TLS when available
> 12. I also have News (NNTP) configured as nntp.aioe.org
> 13. Save Settins
> 14. Click Users from the menu and edit/create yourself
> 15. Click Remote details button and enter your login details for your 123
> account. Most likely your email address as the account name
> 16. Click Server Details and confirm the server name, smpt and nntp
> details have present. If not, you will have to re-enter them. Click
> relevant set and save buttons. Quit RemoteNB and Open MPro. With a bit
> of luck, you will be good to go.

> Dave. Hopefully the above helps you out a little and does not cause more
> confusion. IMAP does work in MPro, just not a walk in the park like
> Thunderbird or Outlook to configure.

Decided to delete everything and go through your guide again. And this
time it works. So thanks. Mesenger menu now not greyed out.

It could be I hadn't entered the remote details (15 in your guide), as I
don't remember doing that before. Only other thing I did was enter an NNTP
server (I wasn't intending using this, as will stay with Pluto for that)

[Thinks] Would it be possible to have the mails transferred to/stored in
Pluto?

--
*A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Messenger Pro.

<b8730b8359.Paul@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=816&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#816

From: narrowboat-paul@outlook.com (Paul Stewart)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 15:29:11 +0100
 by: Paul Stewart - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 14:29 UTC

In message <5982f3f5b1dave@davenoise.co.uk>
"Dave Plowman (News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

> Decided to delete everything and go through your guide again. And this
> time it works. So thanks. Mesenger menu now not greyed out.

> It could be I hadn't entered the remote details (15 in your guide), as I
> don't remember doing that before. Only other thing I did was enter an NNTP
> server (I wasn't intending using this, as will stay with Pluto for that)

Glad to hear you have managed to sort it. Like many things, you spend
ages setting it up and don't really look at it again unless it stops
working. The guide was just taken from looking at the information I had
used in RemoteNB.

> [Thinks] Would it be possible to have the mails transferred to/stored in
> Pluto?

Unable to assist with this. I have never used Pluto.

Although I do recall back in the day I used to like the the old Acorn
offering(dont ever recall it's name now!) along with Browse.

--
Paul Stewart
Sent from A9home running RISC OS 4.42

Re: Messenger Pro.

<5984051a06dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=818&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#818

From: dave@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 11:56:02 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 11:56 UTC

Just a final question or two.

The package I bought from R-Comp was tailored to what I wanted. IIRC, has
a cut down version of Messenger Pro. It is Messenger NF 5.4.00

I've got it working not only with imap to 123-reg, but also with my other
BT email address. Making Pluto redundant for email. But will likely keep
it for News.

So would the full latest version give me goodies I can use?

And does Netfetch - which came as part of the package - do anything at
all? Both of my email were configured only using RemoteNB.

--
*Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker?