From: text@sdfeu.org (Plain Text)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.usenet
Subject: comp.infosystems.hypertext
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 17:32:58 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Plain Text - Wed, 6 Oct 2021 17:32 UTC

Hi all,

scrolling through some lists on ftp.isc.org/usenet I wondered what
happened to comp.infosystems.hypertext – did it exist?

Pasted below is its RFD from 1992. I could not find anything further atm.
As per groupsearch.alt-config.net the group is not carried at this time.

On the other hand, alt.hypertext seems to exist, but it does not contain
any messages; at least as much as I can tell by accessing it via
news.eternal-september.org.

Further I can also subscribe to the seemingly empty
comp.text.desktop Technology & techniques of desktop publishing.
Here I wonder about some of those old control/rmgroup messages I found in:

ftp://ftp.isc.org/usenet/control/comp/comp.text.desktop.gz

> Newsgroups: comp.text.desktop
> Subject: cmsg rmgroup comp.text.desktop
> Control: rmgroup comp.text.desktop
> Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2011 13:13:05 -0700

Thanks for reading.

ftp://ftp.isc.org/usenet/news.announce.newgroups/comp/
comp.infosystems.hypertext

---
From emv@msen.com Tue Aug 11 12:13:22 1992
Newsgroups:
news.announce.newgroups,news.groups,alt.hypertext,alt.config,comp.infosystems.gopher,comp.text
From: Edward Vielmetti <emv@msen.com>
Subject: RFD: comp.infosystems.hypertext
Sender: tale@uunet.uu.net (David C Lawrence)
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1992 03:41:28 GMT

This is a request for discussion on a new group
'comp.infosystems.hypertext'.
Discussion is currently going on in alt.hypertext (mostly) and in a batch
of other groups.

Suggested topics include
* internet hypertext systems like "world wide web"
* hypertext gateways to information like "hytelnet"
* visionary projects like "xanadu"
* conferences reports from e.g. "Hypertext '92"

The current "alt.hypertext" group is a good start, but now that there's
a comp.infosystems grouping to put it under it makes sense to promote it
to full mainstream Usenet status.

Discussion, nattering, the obligatory 30 day naming harangue to
news.groups;
substantive discussion to one of
comp.infosystems.gopher
alt.hypertext
comp.infosystems

and any of the numerous mailing lists that support individual project
(hyperbole, www, ...) efforts.
---

Re: comp.infosystems.hypertext

<MPG.3bc86d6488245e24989698@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=75&group=alt.fan.usenet#75

From: usenet202101@magic-cookie.co.ukNOSPAMPLEASE (Rayner Lucas)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.usenet
Subject: Re: comp.infosystems.hypertext
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2021 03:35:50 +0100
 by: Rayner Lucas - Thu, 7 Oct 2021 02:35 UTC

In article <sjkmka$6k0$1@dont-email.me>, text@sdfeu.org says...

> scrolling through some lists on ftp.isc.org/usenet I wondered what
> happened to comp.infosystems.hypertext ? did it exist?
>
> Pasted below is its RFD from 1992. I could not find anything further atm.
> As per groupsearch.alt-config.net the group is not carried at this time.

Hi,

I can't find any evidence it was created. There was an RFD, as you say,
but it doesn't look like the process got any further than that - I can't
find any voting or results, or any control messages to create the group.

A thread from 1994 in comp.infosystems.www contains another tentative
suggestion of "comp.infosystems.hypertext" as a potential group, which
again implies that the original proposal never went anywhere:
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.infosystems.www/c/v7T8bNNjhVI/m/8QgPKm8
JOOQJ

Are you trying to find a group that definitely existed at some point,
possibly with a similar name? The comp.infosystems.www.* groups and
alt.hypertext are the closest matches I'm aware of.

> Further I can also subscribe to the seemingly empty
> comp.text.desktop Technology & techniques of desktop publishing.
> Here I wonder about some of those old control/rmgroup messages I found in:
>
> ftp://ftp.isc.org/usenet/control/comp/comp.text.desktop.gz
>
> > Newsgroups: comp.text.desktop
> > Subject: cmsg rmgroup comp.text.desktop
> > Control: rmgroup comp.text.desktop
> > Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2011 13:13:05 -0700

Yes, comp.text.desktop once existed, but it appears to have been removed
in 2011 due to inactivity (along with a considerable number of other
inactive groups).

Rayner

Re: comp.infosystems.hypertext

<sjmf1k$43j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=76&group=alt.fan.usenet#76

From: text@sdfeu.org (Plain Text)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.usenet
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2021 09:35:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Plain Text - Thu, 7 Oct 2021 09:35 UTC

On Thu, 07 Oct 2021 03:35:50 +0100, Rayner Lucas wrote:

> In article <sjkmka$6k0$1@dont-email.me>, text@sdfeu.org says...
>>
>> scrolling through some lists on ftp.isc.org/usenet I wondered what
>> happened to comp.infosystems.hypertext ? did it exist?
>
> I can't find any evidence it was created. There was an RFD, as you say,
> but it doesn't look like the process got any further than that - I can't
> find any voting or results, or any control messages to create the group.
>
> A thread from 1994 in comp.infosystems.www contains another tentative
> suggestion of "comp.infosystems.hypertext" as a potential group, which
> again implies that the original proposal never went anywhere:
> groups.google.com/g/comp.infosystems.www/c/v7T8bNNjhVI/m/8QgPKm8JOOQJ

Ah thanks, it didn't occur to me to query google for old posts. Made me
smile to see a post by Tim BL there:

: If a new group was to be formed for HTML discussions, I would suggest
: comp.infosystems.www.html

> Are you trying to find a group that definitely existed at some point,
> possibly with a similar name? The comp.infosystems.www.* groups and
> alt.hypertext are the closest matches I'm aware of.
>
>> Further I can also subscribe to the seemingly empty comp.text.desktop
>
> Yes, comp.text.desktop once existed, but it appears to have been removed
> in 2011 due to inactivity (along with a considerable number of other
> inactive groups).

Not really looking for specific stuff, just discovering Usenet again and
trying to put some bits and pieces together for myself. I guess, not all
servers clean out removed groups from their list (not applying the
checkgroups file if I understand correctly), as seen by comp.text.desktop.

Regarding the current RFD for comp.infosystems.gemini, an existing
hypertext group could have been an alternative, I guess.

Thanks

Re: comp.infosystems.hypertext

<sjmfgt$ko2$1@theuse.news.theuse.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=77&group=alt.fan.usenet#77

From: jsevans@mailfence.com (Jason Evans)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.usenet
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2021 09:43:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jason Evans - Thu, 7 Oct 2021 09:43 UTC

On Thu, 7 Oct 2021 09:35:48 -0000 (UTC), Plain Text wrote:

> Regarding the current RFD for comp.infosystems.gemini, an existing
> hypertext group could have been an alternative, I guess.
>
> Thanks

We'll discuss comp.infosystems.gemini in our board meeting tomorrow. I
don't see any reason why it won't be created. We'll keep you informed.

Jason

Re: comp.infosystems.hypertext

<MPG.3bc9472894d008af989699@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=78&group=alt.fan.usenet#78

From: usenet202101@magic-cookie.co.ukNOSPAMPLEASE (Rayner Lucas)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.usenet
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2021 19:05:04 +0100
 by: Rayner Lucas - Thu, 7 Oct 2021 18:05 UTC

In article <sjmf1k$43j$1@dont-email.me>, text@sdfeu.org says...

> Regarding the current RFD for comp.infosystems.gemini, an existing
> hypertext group could have been an alternative, I guess.

Ah, right, I understand. We have groups in the Big 8 for the WWW and
Gopher, but we don't seem to have one for hypertext systems in general.
Such discussion would be on-topic for comp.infosystems; however, I can't
see any problem with creating a group specifically for Gemini,
particularly since there's already a community that intends to use it.

Rayner

computers / alt.fan.usenet / Re: comp.infosystems.hypertext