From: pinnerite@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Thunderbird 115.6.0
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 18:52:04 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 18:52 UTC

A couple of days ago this update appeared on my (new) machine.
It was keen to get donations. I was not yet in a position to respond.

When I tried to get into my email accounts the weren't there.
I dropped into file manager and found they had gone.
Fortunately I had recent backup and was able to rsync it back.

Has anyone else experienced this, at anytime?

Alan

Re: Thunderbird 115.6.0

<urt9ss$1d5mr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7747&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7747

From: alan@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: Thunderbird 115.6.0
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 14:22:03 -0500
 by: Big Al - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 19:22 UTC

On 3/1/24 01:52 PM, pinnerite wrote:
> A couple of days ago this update appeared on my (new) machine.
> It was keen to get donations. I was not yet in a position to respond.
>
> When I tried to get into my email accounts the weren't there.
> I dropped into file manager and found they had gone.
> Fortunately I had recent backup and was able to rsync it back.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this, at anytime?
>
> Alan
Not here.
--
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon 6.0.4
Al

Re: Thunderbird 115.6.0

<xfxEN.498215$7sbb.389897@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7749&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7749

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 16:43:24 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 03:43 UTC

On 2/03/24 07:52, pinnerite wrote:

> A couple of days ago this update appeared on my (new) machine.
> It was keen to get donations. I was not yet in a position to respond.
>
> When I tried to get into my email accounts the weren't there.
> I dropped into file manager and found they had gone.
> Fortunately I had recent backup and was able to rsync it back.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this, at anytime?
>
> Alan

I have not experienced it.

--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

He wha lives on hope will die fasting.

Re: Thunderbird 115.6.0

<urutqh$1qnc2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7750&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7750

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 05:08:16 -0500
 by: Paul - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 10:08 UTC

On 3/1/2024 1:52 PM, pinnerite wrote:
> A couple of days ago this update appeared on my (new) machine.
> It was keen to get donations. I was not yet in a position to respond.
>
> When I tried to get into my email accounts the weren't there.
> I dropped into file manager and found they had gone.
> Fortunately I had recent backup and was able to rsync it back.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this, at anytime?
>
> Alan

cd ~/.thunderbird

ls -al

bullwinkle@LMDE6TST:~/.thunderbird$ ls -al
total 32
drwx------ 6 bullwinkle bullwinkle 4096 Mar 2 .
drwx------ 15 bullwinkle bullwinkle 4096 Mar 2 ..
drwx------ 3 bullwinkle bullwinkle 4096 Mar 2 'Crash Reports'
-rw-r--r-- 1 bullwinkle bullwinkle 62 Mar 2 installs.ini
drwx------ 2 bullwinkle bullwinkle 4096 Mar 2 nozt675u.default
drwx------ 2 bullwinkle bullwinkle 4096 Mar 2 'Pending Pings'
-rw-r--r-- 1 bullwinkle bullwinkle 259 Mar 2 profiles.ini <===
drwx------ 10 bullwinkle bullwinkle 4096 Mar 2 ysohckg6.default-default

Whether Thunderbird profiles are absolute or relative, the profiles.ini
file lists the ones it currently knows about.

You can check the size of the profile folders.

bullwinkle@LMDE6TST:~/.thunderbird$ du -s nozt675u.default
8 nozt675u.default
bullwinkle@LMDE6TST:~/.thunderbird$ du -s ysohckg6.default-default
14784 ysohckg6.default-default

Inside a profile folder, it shows which version last touched it.

bullwinkle@LMDE6TST:~/.thunderbird$ cat ysohckg6.default-default/compatibility.ini
[Compatibility]
LastVersion=102.15.1_20230912052514/20230912052514 <===
LastOSABI=Linux_x86_64-gcc3
LastPlatformDir=/usr/lib/thunderbird
LastAppDir=/usr/lib/thunderbird

We can see I have an older version. After a mintUpdate...

bullwinkle@LMDE6TST:~/.thunderbird/ysohckg6.default-default$ cat compatibility.ini
[Compatibility]
LastVersion=115.8.0_20240216174500/20240216174500
LastOSABI=Linux_x86_64-gcc3
LastPlatformDir=/usr/lib/thunderbird
LastAppDir=/usr/lib/thunderbird

My profile only has one News server in it, so there wasn't much
to lose, and nothing was lost.

Profile folders can exist outside the .thunderbird directory.
That's why before declaring a three-alarm fire, you have to
review what you'd done with the profiles. The profile.ini file
has the evidence of creativity.

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=0
Path=C:\Users\Username\Downloads\abcd1234.default
Default=1

This is one of the reasons a profile folder would have a "lock"
file in it. To cover cases where a profile folder is located
in some exotic place, and two computers laid claim to it at
the same time. You would not think that possible, if you
were not adventurous and tried to crayon outside the lines.

I bet some of your boxes are "big" and would be identifiable
using qdirstat or kdirstat. These are tools similar to SequoiaView
(software done in a university) that help a user identify where
large files have gone.

There could be Nightly profiles, ESR profiles, release profiles,
as examples of profile types inadvertently created. Using the
profile manager

thunderbird -p

only works if the profile folders are still listed in profiles.ini .
If adding a new profile, the new profile isn't in the profiles.ini
file... yet.

Even a global search for "Inbox" might be better than nothing,
if you are bored. That will identify potential profile folders.