7 May, 2024: fms is rebuilding. Don't expect much in that section for quite a few days, maybe longer.

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Failed to read hd0

SubjectAuthor
* Failed to read hd0RobH
+* Re: Failed to read hd0Dan Purgert
|`* Re: Failed to read hd0RobH
| `* Re: Failed to read hd0Dan Purgert
|  `* Re: Failed to read hd0RobH
|   `* Re: Failed to read hd0Dan Purgert
|    `* Re: Failed to read hd0RobH
|     +- Re: Failed to read hd0Dan Purgert
|     +- Re: Failed to read hd0Paul
|     `- Re: Failed to read hd0TeddyTheBest2004
`* Re: Failed to read hd0Nic
 `* Re: Failed to read hd0RobH
  `* Re: Failed to read hd0Enno Borgsteede
   +* Re: Failed to read hd0Paul
   |`* Re: Failed to read hd0RobH
   | `* Re: Failed to read hd0Paul
   |  `* Re: Failed to read hd0RobH
   |   `* Re: Failed to read hd0Enno Borgsteede
   |    `* Re: Failed to read hd0RobH
   |     +* Re: Failed to read hd0Paul
   |     |`* Re: Failed to read hd0RobH
   |     | `* Re: Failed to read hd0Paul
   |     |  `- Re: Failed to read hd0RobH
   |     `* Re: Failed to read hd0Enno Borgsteede
   |      `* Re: Failed to read hd0RobH
   |       `* Re: Failed to read hd0Nic
   |        `- Re: Failed to read hd0RobH
   `- Re: Failed to read hd0RobH

Pages:12
Failed to read hd0

<l4bmidFcpchU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7722&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7722

From: rob@nospam.com (RobH)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Failed to read hd0
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 15:35:41 +0000
 by: RobH - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 15:35 UTC

I have been running LM on a spinning disk for about 3 years or so now.
Earlier I shut the system down, while I swapped the power lead to
another socket. When I had done that and turned the mini pc back on
again, I got this message
Error reading sector 0x41 from 'hd0'
Entering rescue mode:
grub rescue>

I tried this:
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt

But got unknown command 'sudo'

Is the disk dead or can it be recovered

Thanks

Re: Failed to read hd0

<slrnuu1cjg.mun.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7723&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7723

From: dan@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: Failed to read hd0
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 16:36:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 16:36 UTC

On 2024-02-29, RobH wrote:
> I have been running LM on a spinning disk for about 3 years or so now.
> Earlier I shut the system down, while I swapped the power lead to
> another socket. When I had done that and turned the mini pc back on
> again, I got this message
> Error reading sector 0x41 from 'hd0'
> Entering rescue mode:
> grub rescue>
>
> I tried this:
> sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
>
> But got unknown command 'sudo'
The grub rescue prompt doesn't have the same commands as a standard
Linux shell, so this message would be expected. I believe it does have
a 'help' command that'll list out all possible options.

> Is the disk dead or can it be recovered

"Maybe".

(1) boot off the live-usb (installation media)
(2) mount the internal hdd and backup anything important
(3) unmount it again, and run 'fsck' to check/correct errors

Might work, and get you back running. Optionally, you can also run
'smartctl' to check the general drive health (power-on hours, read
errors, etc.) to determine if it might just be time to replace it.

--
|_|O|_|

Re: Failed to read hd0

<l4c1umFedopU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7724&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7724

From: rob@nospam.com (RobH)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 18:49:58 +0000
 by: RobH - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 18:49 UTC

On 29/02/2024 16:36, Dan Purgert wrote:
> On 2024-02-29, RobH wrote:
>> I have been running LM on a spinning disk for about 3 years or so now.
>> Earlier I shut the system down, while I swapped the power lead to
>> another socket. When I had done that and turned the mini pc back on
>> again, I got this message
>> Error reading sector 0x41 from 'hd0'
>> Entering rescue mode:
>> grub rescue>
>>
>> I tried this:
>> sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
>>
>> But got unknown command 'sudo'
> The grub rescue prompt doesn't have the same commands as a standard
> Linux shell, so this message would be expected. I believe it does have
> a 'help' command that'll list out all possible options.
>

>> Is the disk dead or can it be recovered
>
> "Maybe".
>
> (1) boot off the live-usb (installation media)
> (2) mount the internal hdd and backup anything important
> (3) unmount it again, and run 'fsck' to check/correct errors
>
> Might work, and get you back running. Optionally, you can also run
> 'smartctl' to check the general drive health (power-on hours, read
> errors, etc.) to determine if it might just be time to replace it.

No I couldn't get it to work.

I ran sudo lsblk to see the drive as sda, then ran sudo mount /dev/sda
/mount,
but that produced: sda not in fstab error or similar.

I do have another disk which I cloned from the one which has failed ,
last year, and have a backup of some of the data.

Thanks

Re: Failed to read hd0

<slrnuu1qpr.mun.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7728&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7728

From: dan@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 20:38:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 20:38 UTC

On 2024-02-29, RobH wrote:
> On 29/02/2024 16:36, Dan Purgert wrote:
>> On 2024-02-29, RobH wrote:
>>> I have been running LM on a spinning disk for about 3 years or so now.
>>> Earlier I shut the system down, while I swapped the power lead to
>>> another socket. When I had done that and turned the mini pc back on
>>> again, I got this message
>>> Error reading sector 0x41 from 'hd0'
>>> Entering rescue mode:
>>> grub rescue>
>>>
>>> I tried this:
>>> sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
>>>
>>> But got unknown command 'sudo'
>> The grub rescue prompt doesn't have the same commands as a standard
>> Linux shell, so this message would be expected. I believe it does have
>> a 'help' command that'll list out all possible options.
>>

>>> Is the disk dead or can it be recovered
>>
>> "Maybe".
>>
>> (1) boot off the live-usb (installation media)
>> (2) mount the internal hdd and backup anything important
>> (3) unmount it again, and run 'fsck' to check/correct errors
>>
>> Might work, and get you back running. Optionally, you can also run
>> 'smartctl' to check the general drive health (power-on hours, read
>> errors, etc.) to determine if it might just be time to replace it.
>>

> No I couldn't get it to work.
>
> I ran sudo lsblk to see the drive as sda, then ran sudo mount /dev/sda
> /mount,
> but that produced: sda not in fstab error or similar.

I would imagine the error was more akin to the directory "/mount" not
existing (unless you created it first, and just didn't mention that).

--
|_|O|_|

Re: Failed to read hd0

<a76EN.515286$xHn7.50631@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7729&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7729

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic@none.invalid (Nic)
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 15:51:18 -0500
 by: Nic - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 20:51 UTC

On 2/29/24 10:35 AM, RobH wrote:
> I have been running LM on a spinning disk for about 3 years or so now.
> Earlier I shut the system down, while I swapped the power lead to
> another socket. When I had done that and turned the mini pc back on
> again, I got this message
> Error reading sector 0x41 from 'hd0'
> Entering rescue mode:
> grub rescue>
>
> I tried this:
> sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
>
> But got unknown command 'sudo'
>
> Is the disk dead or can it be recovered
>

> Thanks
Check your connections, oxidation is rough on old connectors.

Re: Failed to read hd0

<l4cflpFgi5lU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7733&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7733

From: rob@nospam.com (RobH)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 22:44:09 +0000
 by: RobH - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 22:44 UTC

On 29/02/2024 20:38, Dan Purgert wrote:
> On 2024-02-29, RobH wrote:

>>> The grub rescue prompt doesn't have the same commands as a standard
>>> Linux shell, so this message would be expected. I believe it does have
>>> a 'help' command that'll list out all possible options.

>>> "Maybe".
>>>
>>> (1) boot off the live-usb (installation media)
>>> (2) mount the internal hdd and backup anything important
>>> (3) unmount it again, and run 'fsck' to check/correct errors
>>>
>>> Might work, and get you back running. Optionally, you can also run
>>> 'smartctl' to check the general drive health (power-on hours, read
>>> errors, etc.) to determine if it might just be time to replace it.
>>>

>> No I couldn't get it to work.
>>
>> I ran sudo lsblk to see the drive as sda, then ran sudo mount /dev/sda
>> /mount,
>> but that produced: sda not in fstab error or similar.
>
> I would imagine the error was more akin to the directory "/mount" not
> existing (unless you created it first, and just didn't mention that).

I tried the disk in a USB sata adaptor and plugged into another linux
computer, but it wasn't even recognised.

How do you mean, not creating '/mount' not existing. Do you mean during
the installation ??

Thanks

Re: Failed to read hd0

<l4cfp5Fgi5lU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7734&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7734

From: rob@nospam.com (RobH)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 22:45:57 +0000
 by: RobH - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 22:45 UTC

On 29/02/2024 20:51, Nic wrote:
> On 2/29/24 10:35 AM, RobH wrote:
>> I have been running LM on a spinning disk for about 3 years or so now.
>> Earlier I shut the system down, while I swapped the power lead to
>> another socket. When I had done that and turned the mini pc back on
>> again, I got this message
>> Error reading sector 0x41 from 'hd0'
>> Entering rescue mode:
>> grub rescue>
>>
>> I tried this:
>> sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
>>
>> But got unknown command 'sudo'
>>
>> Is the disk dead or can it be recovered
>>

>> Thanks
> Check your connections, oxidation is rough on old connectors.

The disk is a hard fit into a slot in the intel mini PC, and was seen in
the BIOS , but not seen as a boot disk.

Thanks

Re: Failed to read hd0

<slrnuu23u1.mun.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7735&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7735

From: dan@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 23:14:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 23:14 UTC

On 2024-02-29, RobH wrote:
> On 29/02/2024 20:38, Dan Purgert wrote:
>> On 2024-02-29, RobH wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> I ran sudo lsblk to see the drive as sda, then ran sudo mount /dev/sda
>>> /mount,
>>
>> I would imagine the error was more akin to the directory "/mount" not
>> existing (unless you created it first, and just didn't mention that).
> [...]
> How do you mean, not creating '/mount' not existing. Do you mean during
> the installation ??

There is no directory "/mount" in a Linux system, the closest would be
"/mnt", unless you created the "/mount" directory yourself.

--
|_|O|_|

Re: Failed to read hd0

<l4diihFlgtbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7741&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7741

From: rob@nospam.com (RobH)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 08:39:45 +0000
 by: RobH - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 08:39 UTC

On 29/02/2024 23:14, Dan Purgert wrote:
> On 2024-02-29, RobH wrote:
>>>
>>> I would imagine the error was more akin to the directory "/mount" not
>>> existing (unless you created it first, and just didn't mention that).
>> [...]
>> How do you mean, not creating '/mount' not existing. Do you mean during
>> the installation ??
>
> There is no directory "/mount" in a Linux system, the closest would be
> "/mnt", unless you created the "/mount" directory yourself.

No I didn't do anything during the install process as I just left it at
default.
Anyway, as I said , the disk wasn't even recognised nor seen when I
connected it to another linux computer via a sata to usb adaptor.

I don't understand why it was ok before I shut the system down, but then
there was an immediate problem when I turned it back on.

Oh well, 'c'est la vie'

Re: Failed to read hd0

<slrnuu3bkn.mun.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7742&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7742

From: dan@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 10:31:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 10:31 UTC

On 2024-03-01, RobH wrote:
> On 29/02/2024 23:14, Dan Purgert wrote:

>>> [...]
>>> How do you mean, not creating '/mount' not existing. Do you mean during
>>> the installation ??
>>
>> There is no directory "/mount" in a Linux system, the closest would be
>> "/mnt", unless you created the "/mount" directory yourself.
>>

> No I didn't do anything during the install process as I just left it at
> default.

Then your command "sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mount" would've failed since
the "/mount" directory doesn't exist ;)

> Anyway, as I said , the disk wasn't even recognised nor seen when I
> connected it to another linux computer via a sata to usb adaptor.

That can be as simple as "there isn't enough power available for a
spinning drive". Used to need USB Y cables to get enough current to get
them running ...

> I don't understand why it was ok before I shut the system down, but then
> there was an immediate problem when I turned it back on.

Can be as simple as "bad luck" -- especially if you went from "always
running" beforehand. That tends to mask physical failures (e.g. bad
bearings, etc.)

--
|_|O|_|

Re: Failed to read hd0

<ursgdq$17cho$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7743&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7743

From: ennoborg@gmail.com (Enno Borgsteede)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 13:07:22 +0100
 by: Enno Borgsteede - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 12:07 UTC

Op 29-02-2024 om 23:45 schreef RobH:

> The disk is a hard fit into a slot in the intel mini PC, and was seen in
> the BIOS , but not seen as a boot disk.

I didn't see it mentioned, so I'll bring it up now:

Did you try Gparted?

If the device still works somewhat, and has enough power, Gparted should
show something.

Gparted is available on all Mint live disks, but is not installed on the
system by default.

Re: Failed to read hd0

<ursk49$18cgi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7744&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7744

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 08:10:31 -0500
 by: Paul - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 13:10 UTC

On 3/1/2024 3:39 AM, RobH wrote:

> Oh well, 'c'est la vie'

You could check the health status of
your drives occasionally.

I haven't lost a drive as a catastrophic failure
since the Maxtor 40GB. A lot of drives since then,
have given little "hints" that they should be cloned
and the original, put in the retirement home.

I have a hard drive with over 50,000 hours on it.
It's retired, because the motherboard in the computer
it was connected to, died. What's amazing about the
drive, is if you do a read benchmark of the thing,
it looks very close to as nice as a new drive. The point
of this observation, is that not all hard drives suck.
Its mates (similar model number), do not have the
same geriatric prowess.

*******

Doing a read transfer benchmark test, what you're looking
for is wide bands of disk running at 5-10MB/sec. This is
a sign of a lot of reallocations. This typically happens
where the OS partition is located, and the wear from
accesses there, can sometimes lead to a lot of reallocations.

SMART is not that good at detecting overall drive health,
when only a small band of the disk is sick. This is one
reason for using a read benchmark as a test.

The purpose of this picture, is to show the extent that
testing the drive as the OS drive, versus testing it as a
data drive, makes a different. The bottom photo, is with
a drive being checked as if it is a data disk, and the results
still have too much timing variation to make a good disk
check result.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/Hs9rmjnm/HDTune-Vs-OS-Used.gif

The top picture, is with a non-ordinary OS. The Macrium Rescue CD
can run the odd regular executable. Since the Macrium Rescue CD
does not have a lot of Microsoft sniffing and snibbling going on,
the state of execution there is "quiet" and the true nature of
the drive comes out. The particular drive is not a champ, in terms
of its zoned recording behavior. But you can see the "noise level"
in the plot is low enough, to see the drive is mostly clean.
The other OS choices, a lot of the timing noise, is caused
by some sort of higher priority activity.

On Linux, gnome-disks (also known as just "disks"), it has a
benchmark utility built-in, and it can run curves too. But they
don't look quite as smooth for some reason. The results are still
good enough for the drive cases I've had where a swath of surface
was cooked.

Linux has SmartMonTools and you can check the SMART table. This is
from a 500GB Seagate (one of those 0.8" high drives). The drive got
retired, because originally, the rate of reallocation looked pretty
bad.

sudo smartctl -a /dev/sdc

ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME FLAG VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE UPDATED WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct 0x0033 092 092 036 Pre-fail Always - 334 <=== normally 0

If a drive has CRC errors, this causes some cloning tools to error out.
Whereas ddrescue (gddrescue package), it can copy a disk and
you can do repeated runs, to try to capture as many sectors as
possible. Using the list of bad sectors, you can even work out
what files are endangered. For example, on a WD Blue from a
Dell Refurb, I got four CRC errors, two were in white space
(don't care), while the other two hit OS files. And I managed
to clean it all up while cloning. Where cloning can be a bit
of a problem, is transferring dissimilar sized drives of the
GPT variety (a 500GB to a 1TB perhaps). As the secondary GPT
partition table, gets placed at the wrong offset, if you use ddrescue.

The SMART table also has the drive current temperature listed,
and this can allow you to determine whether there is sufficient
air movement in the casing.

Paul

Re: Failed to read hd0

<ursnul$195t9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7745&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7745

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 09:15:48 -0500
 by: Paul - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 14:15 UTC

On 3/1/2024 7:07 AM, Enno Borgsteede wrote:
> Op 29-02-2024 om 23:45 schreef RobH:
>
>> The disk is a hard fit into a slot in the intel mini PC, and was seen in the BIOS , but not seen as a boot disk.
>
> I didn't see it mentioned, so I'll bring it up now:
>
> Did you try Gparted?
>
> If the device still works somewhat, and has enough power, Gparted should show something.
>
> Gparted is available on all Mint live disks, but is not installed on the system by default.

At this point, we don't even know what the layout looks like.

ddrescue can be used to do a bad block scan at the device
level, without changing anything. At least then we might have
some idea just what a mess this thing is.

sudo apt install gddrescue

sudo ddrescue -f -n /dev/sda /dev/null rescue.log # scan /dev/sda, put a log in the current working directory
# Generally speaking, you do not dump logs into a damaged device
# as a scratchpad.

Paul

Re: Failed to read hd0

<l4glt3F5i0sU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7752&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7752

From: rob@nospam.com (RobH)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 12:54:59 +0000
 by: RobH - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 12:54 UTC

On 01/03/2024 12:07, Enno Borgsteede wrote:
> Op 29-02-2024 om 23:45 schreef RobH:
>
>> The disk is a hard fit into a slot in the intel mini PC, and was seen
>> in the BIOS , but not seen as a boot disk.
>
> I didn't see it mentioned, so I'll bring it up now:
>
> Did you try Gparted?
>
> If the device still works somewhat, and has enough power, Gparted should
> show something.
>
> Gparted is available on all Mint live disks, but is not installed on the
> system by default.

Yes I tried Gparted among other things, but the disk wa not seen at all

Re: Failed to read hd0

<l4gm8aF5i0sU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7753&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7753

From: rob@nospam.com (RobH)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 13:00:58 +0000
 by: RobH - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 13:00 UTC

On 01/03/2024 14:15, Paul wrote:
> On 3/1/2024 7:07 AM, Enno Borgsteede wrote:
>> Op 29-02-2024 om 23:45 schreef RobH:
>>
>>> The disk is a hard fit into a slot in the intel mini PC, and was seen in the BIOS , but not seen as a boot disk.
>>
>> I didn't see it mentioned, so I'll bring it up now:
>>
>> Did you try Gparted?
>>
>> If the device still works somewhat, and has enough power, Gparted should show something.
>>
>> Gparted is available on all Mint live disks, but is not installed on the system by default.
>>

> At this point, we don't even know what the layout looks like.
>
> ddrescue can be used to do a bad block scan at the device
> level, without changing anything. At least then we might have
> some idea just what a mess this thing is.
>
> sudo apt install gddrescue
>
> sudo ddrescue -f -n /dev/sda /dev/null rescue.log # scan /dev/sda, put a log in the current working directory
> # Generally speaking, you do not dump logs into a damaged device
> # as a scratchpad.
>
> Paul

Thanks Paul, but the disk was not seen by any of HBCD do tools apart
from the testdisk utility which reported many thousands of errors

I tried tools from a 'rescue system' utiliity and also from 'HBCD
15.2', and the disk was not seen by anything, apart from 'testdisk' The
said errors could not be repaired from the repair utility.

Re: Failed to read hd0

<urveg6$1u2hm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7754&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7754

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 09:52:54 -0500
 by: Paul - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 14:52 UTC

On 3/2/2024 8:00 AM, RobH wrote:
> On 01/03/2024 14:15, Paul wrote:

>>> I didn't see it mentioned, so I'll bring it up now:
>>>
>>> Did you try Gparted?
>>>
>>> If the device still works somewhat, and has enough power, Gparted should show something.
>>>
>>> Gparted is available on all Mint live disks, but is not installed on the system by default.
>>>

>> At this point, we don't even know what the layout looks like.
>>
>> ddrescue can be used to do a bad block scan at the device
>> level, without changing anything. At least then we might have
>> some idea just what a mess this thing is.
>>
>> sudo apt install gddrescue
>>
>> sudo ddrescue -f -n /dev/sda /dev/null rescue.log    # scan /dev/sda, put a log in the current working directory
>>                                                       # Generally speaking, you do not dump logs into a damaged device
>>                                                       # as a scratchpad.
>>
>>     Paul
>
> Thanks Paul, but the disk was not seen by any of HBCD do tools apart from the testdisk utility which reported many thousands of errors
>
> I tried tools  from a 'rescue system' utiliity and also from 'HBCD 15.2', and the disk was not seen by anything, apart from 'testdisk' The said errors could not be repaired from the repair utility.

Just for the record, what is the make and model number of the drive ?

Paul

Re: Failed to read hd0

<l4guv2F6udoU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7755&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7755

From: rob@nospam.com (RobH)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 15:29:38 +0000
 by: RobH - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 15:29 UTC

On 02/03/2024 14:52, Paul wrote:
> On 3/2/2024 8:00 AM, RobH wrote:

>>> At this point, we don't even know what the layout looks like.
>>>
>>> ddrescue can be used to do a bad block scan at the device
>>> level, without changing anything. At least then we might have
>>> some idea just what a mess this thing is.
>>>
>>> sudo apt install gddrescue
>>>
>>> sudo ddrescue -f -n /dev/sda /dev/null rescue.log    # scan /dev/sda, put a log in the current working directory
>>>                                                       # Generally speaking, you do not dump logs into a damaged device
>>>                                                       # as a scratchpad.
>>>
>>>     Paul
>>
>> Thanks Paul, but the disk was not seen by any of HBCD do tools apart from the testdisk utility which reported many thousands of errors
>>
>> I tried tools  from a 'rescue system' utiliity and also from 'HBCD 15.2', and the disk was not seen by anything, apart from 'testdisk' The said errors could not be repaired from the repair utility.
>>

> Just for the record, what is the make and model number of the drive ?
>
> Paul

The disk is a Seagate laptop Thin SSHD 500Gb
It says
ST500LM000
PN:1EJ162-302

I hope that helps

Re: Failed to read hd0

<urvie8$1uqs5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7756&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7756

From: ennoborg@gmail.com (Enno Borgsteede)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 17:00:08 +0100
 by: Enno Borgsteede - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 16:00 UTC

Op 02-03-2024 om 16:29 schreef RobH:

> The disk is a Seagate laptop Thin SSHD 500Gb
> It says
>  ST500LM000
>  PN:1EJ162-302

Interesting. I have the 1 TB version, running inside a cheap USB 3.0
hard drive enclosure, and it's quite stable.

Did you check the Seagate site for tools? You might need Windows for
those, but if you have that somewhere, it may be worth a try.

Re: Failed to read hd0

<l4h307F7k94U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7757&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7757

From: rob@nospam.com (RobH)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 16:38:30 +0000
 by: RobH - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 16:38 UTC

On 02/03/2024 16:00, Enno Borgsteede wrote:
> Op 02-03-2024 om 16:29 schreef RobH:
>
>> The disk is a Seagate laptop Thin SSHD 500Gb
>> It says
>>   ST500LM000
>>   PN:1EJ162-302
>
> Interesting. I have the 1 TB version, running inside a cheap USB 3.0
> hard drive enclosure, and it's quite stable.
>
> Did you check the Seagate site for tools? You might need Windows for
> those, but if you have that somewhere, it may be worth a try.

I tried Seagate tools from HBCD, but no drive was listed

Re: Failed to read hd0

<urvvfm$21ovj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7761&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7761

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 14:42:44 -0500
 by: Paul - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 19:42 UTC

On 3/2/2024 11:38 AM, RobH wrote:
> On 02/03/2024 16:00, Enno Borgsteede wrote:
>> Op 02-03-2024 om 16:29 schreef RobH:
>>
>>> The disk is a Seagate laptop Thin SSHD 500Gb
>>> It says
>>>   ST500LM000
>>>   PN:1EJ162-302
>>
>> Interesting. I have the 1 TB version, running inside a cheap USB 3.0 hard drive enclosure, and it's quite stable.
>>
>> Did you check the Seagate site for tools? You might need Windows for those, but if you have that somewhere, it may be worth a try.
>>

> I tried Seagate tools from HBCD, but no drive was listed

It's a 500GB laptop drive, with 8GB of MLC flash as a hybrid drive.
5400 RPM. Average Data Throughput 100 MB/s. Single platter. 512e.

Spinup current is 1.5 amps at 5V. Too much for some USB2 to SATA adapters.
Need the hydra power cable to run that, as it won't complete spinup.
Otherwise, the manual for the drive seems to pay no attention to the flash.

https://www.seagate.com/content/dam/seagate/migrated-assets/www-content/product-content/seagate-laptop-fam/laptop-thin-sshd/en-us/docs/100716628n.pdf

https://www.storagereview.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/StorageReview-Seagate-SSHD-Thin-Apart.jpg

https://www.storagereview.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/StorageReview-Seagate-SSHD-Thin-Circuit-Board.jpg

I would use the Boot Repair CD on it. There's a good chance the
bad sector is in the flash, rather than on the drive itself.

Paul

Re: Failed to read hd0

<us07t7$23452$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7766&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7766

From: ennoborg@gmail.com (Enno Borgsteede)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 23:06:31 +0100
 by: Enno Borgsteede - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 22:06 UTC

Op 02-03-2024 om 17:38 schreef RobH:

> I tried Seagate tools from HBCD, but no drive was listed

Does it have enough power? Mine is the same type, with 2 platters, and 1
TB, and it is quite essential that you use a proper adapter, preferably
linked to a USB 3 port, or with a Y cable, or an external power supply.

And if you leave the external case open for testing, you can hear the
drive start, if that happens.

Some months ago, a friend came here with a Kingston SSD, and a no name
adapter, and even for that, Gparted did show something, and a proper
tool should at least give you some information about the adapter itself,
and the drive type. And if you have nothing to loose, you can also let
Gparted create a new boot sector, in whatever format you like.

This will of course not work, if Gparted can't even detect the drive
type, which I think is a either a sign of a broken connector, or lack of
power.

Re: Failed to read hd0

<l4it56FfpnfU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7768&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7768

From: rob@nospam.com (RobH)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2024 09:11:02 +0000
 by: RobH - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 09:11 UTC

On 02/03/2024 22:06, Enno Borgsteede wrote:
> Op 02-03-2024 om 17:38 schreef RobH:
>
>> I tried Seagate tools from HBCD, but no drive was listed
>
> Does it have enough power? Mine is the same type, with 2 platters, and 1
> TB, and it is quite essential that you use a proper adapter, preferably
> linked to a USB 3 port, or with a Y cable, or an external power supply.
>
> And if you leave the external case open for testing, you can hear the
> drive start, if that happens.
>
> Some months ago, a friend came here with a Kingston SSD, and a no name
> adapter, and even for that, Gparted did show something, and a proper
> tool should at least give you some information about the adapter itself,
> and the drive type. And if you have nothing to loose, you can also let
> Gparted create a new boot sector, in whatever format you like.
>
> This will of course not work, if Gparted can't even detect the drive
> type, which I think is a either a sign of a broken connector, or lack of
> power.

The 2.5 inch sata to usb adapter I have is a Sabrent , powered from a
usb 3 port.

Re: Failed to read hd0

<l4iteiFfpnfU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7769&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7769

From: rob@nospam.com (RobH)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2024 09:16:02 +0000
 by: RobH - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 09:16 UTC

On 02/03/2024 19:42, Paul wrote:
> On 3/2/2024 11:38 AM, RobH wrote:

>>> Interesting. I have the 1 TB version, running inside a cheap USB 3.0 hard drive enclosure, and it's quite stable.
>>>
>>> Did you check the Seagate site for tools? You might need Windows for those, but if you have that somewhere, it may be worth a try.
>>>

>> I tried Seagate tools from HBCD, but no drive was listed
>
> It's a 500GB laptop drive, with 8GB of MLC flash as a hybrid drive.
> 5400 RPM. Average Data Throughput 100 MB/s. Single platter. 512e.
>
> Spinup current is 1.5 amps at 5V. Too much for some USB2 to SATA adapters.
> Need the hydra power cable to run that, as it won't complete spinup.
> Otherwise, the manual for the drive seems to pay no attention to the flash.
>
> https://www.seagate.com/content/dam/seagate/migrated-assets/www-content/product-content/seagate-laptop-fam/laptop-thin-sshd/en-us/docs/100716628n.pdf
>
> https://www.storagereview.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/StorageReview-Seagate-SSHD-Thin-Apart.jpg
>
> https://www.storagereview.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/StorageReview-Seagate-SSHD-Thin-Circuit-Board.jpg
>
> I would use the Boot Repair CD on it. There's a good chance the
> bad sector is in the flash, rather than on the drive itself.
>
> Paul

Ok, I tried the Boot Repair tool and it didn't repair the boot.
It produced a text file listing a whole load of stuff , but I couldn't
do anything with it, ie copy and paste to a usb stick , etc.

One other thing I should have mentioned before, is that when the said
disk is trying to boot, it produces what sounds like a 'barp' sound
every few seconds. Needless to say, it doesn't boot up.

Thanks

Re: Failed to read hd0

<us1fp3$2e4eu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7770&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7770

From: teddythebest2004@europe.com (TeddyTheBest2004)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2024 10:26:58 +0100
 by: TeddyTheBest2004 - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 09:26 UTC

Le 01/03/2024 à 09:39, RobH a écrit :
> On 29/02/2024 23:14, Dan Purgert wrote:
>
> No I didn't do anything during the install process as I just left it at
> default.
> Anyway, as I said , the disk wasn't even recognised nor seen when I
> connected it to another linux computer via a sata to usb adaptor.
>
> I don't understand why it was ok before I shut the system down, but then
> there was an immediate problem when I turned it back on.
>
> Oh well, 'c'est la vie'

Hello Dan, hello RobH
Well, I have read your threads about a potentially break sectors on a hd
that doesn't want to be mounted. RobH, i think there is some bad sectors
on your hd drive.
In that case, I used the package photorec to :
- use testdisk command for analysing sectors of your hd
- try to restore some datas

Photorec is a free and open-source utility software from CG Security
under GNU-GPL v.2You can have a look at the official web site of
Photorec and Testdisk at https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec
And for more information about Photorec, just read the wiki at
https://www.wikiwand.com/en/PhotoRec

You cas download and install it for your mint distro by installing
testdisk full package (sudo apt-get install testdisk)

Good luck RobH. I hope my comments will be usefull for you and help you
to recover a part of your datas.

--
Teddy The Best

Re: Failed to read hd0

<c9_EN.454338$c3Ea.17908@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7773&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7773

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic@none.invalid (Nic)
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2024 07:36:24 -0500
 by: Nic - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 12:36 UTC

On 3/3/24 4:11 AM, RobH wrote:
> On 02/03/2024 22:06, Enno Borgsteede wrote:
>> Op 02-03-2024 om 17:38 schreef RobH:
>>
>>> I tried Seagate tools from HBCD, but no drive was listed
>>
>> Does it have enough power? Mine is the same type, with 2 platters,
>> and 1 TB, and it is quite essential that you use a proper adapter,
>> preferably linked to a USB 3 port, or with a Y cable, or an external
>> power supply.
>>
>> And if you leave the external case open for testing, you can hear the
>> drive start, if that happens.
>>
>> Some months ago, a friend came here with a Kingston SSD, and a no
>> name adapter, and even for that, Gparted did show something, and a
>> proper tool should at least give you some information about the
>> adapter itself, and the drive type. And if you have nothing to loose,
>> you can also let Gparted create a new boot sector, in whatever format
>> you like.
>>
>> This will of course not work, if Gparted can't even detect the drive
>> type, which I think is a either a sign of a broken connector, or lack
>> of power.
>>

> The 2.5 inch sata to usb adapter I have is a Sabrent , powered from a
> usb 3 port.
This leaves the question of a bad power supply. A USB adapter should
have its own source of power, rather than relying on the USB port for power.