From: rsw@therandymon.com (RS Wood)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Windows 365
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2021 12:12:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RS Wood - Sun, 18 Jul 2021 12:12 UTC

From the «chromeos yawns» department:
Feed: OSnews
Title: Microsoft launches Windows 365, a Windows desktop in the cloud
Author: Thom Holwerda
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 19:57:47 -0400
Link: https://www.osnews.com/story/133710/microsoft-launches-windows-365-a-windows-desktop-in-the-cloud/

Today we’re excited to announce Windows 365[1], a cloud service that
introduces a new way to experience Windows 10 or Windows 11 (when it’s
generally available later this calendar year) for workers from interns and
contractors to software developers and industrial designers. Windows 365 takes
the operating system to the Microsoft Cloud[2], securely streaming the full
Windows experience—including all your apps, data, and settings—to your
personal or corporate devices. This approach creates a fully new personal
computing category, specifically for the hybrid world: the Cloud PC.

As silly as this sounds, I’m actually somewhat interested in this. I have a
Windows 10 VM for some Windows-only translation software I sometimes need to
use, but managing and updating Windows is a pain, so the idea of just paying a
few euros every month to have a Windows instance on some faraway server actually
seems like a much better alternative.

Links:
[1]: https://news.microsoft.com/?p=443183 (link)
[2]: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/blog/2021/07/14/introducing-a-new-era-of-hybrid-personal-computing-the-windows-365-cloud-pc/ (link)

--
Port 80 is overrated.

Re: Windows 365

<sd19od$jda$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=764&group=comp.misc#764

From: rich@example.invalid (Rich)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Re: Windows 365
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2021 13:19:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Rich - Sun, 18 Jul 2021 13:19 UTC

RS Wood <rsw@therandymon.com> wrote:
> From the «chromeos yawns» department:
> Feed: OSnews
> Title: Microsoft launches Windows 365, a Windows desktop in the cloud
> Author: Thom Holwerda
> Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 19:57:47 -0400
> Link: https://www.osnews.com/story/133710/microsoft-launches-windows-365-a-windows-desktop-in-the-cloud/
>

> Today we?re excited to announce Windows 365[1], a cloud service that
> introduces a new way to experience Windows 10 or Windows 11 (when it?s
> generally available later this calendar year) for workers from interns and
> contractors to software developers and industrial designers. Windows 365 takes
> the operating system to the Microsoft Cloud[2], securely streaming the full
> Windows experience?including all your apps, data, and settings?to your
> personal or corporate devices. This approach creates a fully new personal
> computing category, specifically for the hybrid world: the Cloud PC.
>
> As silly as this sounds, I?m actually somewhat interested in this. I have a
> Windows 10 VM for some Windows-only translation software I sometimes need to
> use, but managing and updating Windows is a pain, so the idea of just paying a
> few euros every month to have a Windows instance on some faraway server actually
> seems like a much better alternative.
>
> Links:
> [1]: https://news.microsoft.com/?p=443183 (link)
> [2]: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/blog/2021/07/14/introducing-a-new-era-of-hybrid-personal-computing-the-windows-365-cloud-pc/ (link)

So, what is this, paid RDP to a winblows VM in a datacenter somewhere?

If so, then what hosts the RDP receiver app locally?

If it is a full winblows, nothings changed much, other than the fact
that you have full local execution capability is hidden from you.

Or is it a stripped down, basic OS, that has hardware drivers,
networking, and just enough of the GUI libraries to host an RDP
receiver app?

Re: Windows 365

<87mtqjagpe.fsf@LkoBDZeT.terraraq.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=765&group=comp.misc#765

From: invalid@invalid.invalid (Richard Kettlewell)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2021 14:34:37 +0100
 by: Richard Kettlewell - Sun, 18 Jul 2021 13:34 UTC

Rich <rich@example.invalid> writes:
> RS Wood <rsw@therandymon.com> wrote:
>> From the «chromeos yawns» department:
>> Feed: OSnews
>> Title: Microsoft launches Windows 365, a Windows desktop in the cloud
>> Author: Thom Holwerda
>> Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 19:57:47 -0400
>> Link:
>> https://www.osnews.com/story/133710/microsoft-launches-windows-365-a-windows-desktop-in-the-cloud/
>>

>> Today we?re excited to announce Windows 365[1], a cloud service that
>> introduces a new way to experience Windows 10 or Windows 11 (when
>> it?s generally available later this calendar year) for workers from
>> interns and contractors to software developers and industrial
>> designers. Windows 365 takes the operating system to the Microsoft
>> Cloud[2], securely streaming the full Windows experience?including
>> all your apps, data, and settings?to your personal or corporate
>> devices. This approach creates a fully new personal computing
>> category, specifically for the hybrid world: the Cloud PC.
>>
>> As silly as this sounds, I?m actually somewhat interested in this. I
>> have a Windows 10 VM for some Windows-only translation software I
>> sometimes need to use, but managing and updating Windows is a pain,
>> so the idea of just paying a few euros every month to have a Windows
>> instance on some faraway server actually seems like a much better
>> alternative.
>
> So, what is this, paid RDP to a winblows VM in a datacenter somewhere?
>
> If so, then what hosts the RDP receiver app locally?

Wikipedia says it’s based on Azure Virtual Desktop, which has clients
for Windows, macOS, iOS, Android and web.

--
https://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/

Re: Windows 365

<20210718212626@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=766&group=comp.misc#766

From: rogblake@iname.invalid (Roger Blake)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2021 01:29:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Roger Blake - Mon, 19 Jul 2021 01:29 UTC

On 2021-07-18, RS Wood <rsw@therandymon.com> wrote:
> From the «chromeos yawns» department:
> Feed: OSnews
> Title: Microsoft launches Windows 365, a Windows desktop in the cloud
> Author: Thom Holwerda
> Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 19:57:47 -0400
> Link: https://www.osnews.com/story/133710/microsoft-launches-windows-365-a-windows-desktop-in-the-cloud/

So now your PC really can be just a terminal on Microsoft's network. Lovely.

> As silly as this sounds, I’m actually somewhat interested in this. I have a
> Windows 10 VM for some Windows-only translation software I sometimes need to
> use, but managing and updating Windows is a pain, so the idea of just paying a
> few euros every month to have a Windows instance on some faraway server actually
> seems like a much better alternative.

Ken Olsen was right after all, just ahead of his time.

18 Reasons I won't be vaccinated -- https://tinyurl.com/ebty2dx3
Covid vaccines: experimental biology -- https://tinyurl.com/57mncfm5
The fraud of "Climate Change" -- https://RealClimateScience.com
Don't talk to cops! -- https://DontTalkToCops.com