What the scientists have in their briefcases is terrifying. -- Nikita Khruschev

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Logitech keyboard replacement issues

SubjectAuthor
* Logitech keyboard replacement issuesazigni
+* Re: Logitech keyboard replacement issuesNic
|+- Re: Logitech keyboard replacement issuespinnerite
|`- Re: Logitech keyboard replacement issuess|b
+- Re: Logitech keyboard replacement issuesPaul
+- Re: Logitech keyboard replacement issuesYrrah
`* Re: Logitech keyboard replacement issuesTrumpLover
 `* Re: Logitech keyboard replacement issuesPaul
  `- Re: Logitech keyboard replacement issuesazigni

1
Logitech keyboard replacement issues

<YV%wN.84968$CYpe.27618@fx40.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7601&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7601

From: azigni@yahoo.com (azigni)
Subject: Logitech keyboard replacement issues
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2024 08:04:08 GMT
 by: azigni - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 08:04 UTC

I had an older wireless Logitech keyboard which I found out unfortunately
was not waterproof. I replaced it with a Logitech MX Mechanical keyboard.

Upon bootup (2 year old HP desktop, i7) I need to use Windows Key and ESC
to get to the boot menu if I wish to directly boot Windows or my alternate
Linux OS.

I can no longer suspend if the keyboard is on. I must turn the keyboard
off, then the desktop shuts down...

To make a long story shorter, I thought a keyboard was a keyboard, ." ".
Has this changed? Do I need to do a reinstall to have the keyboard work
properly, or has Logitech lost their minds? This keyboard is supposedly
Linux compatible, which in itself I find an interesting selling point.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Logitech keyboard replacement issues

<2F1xN.87799$m4d.45183@fx43.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7602&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7602

Subject: Re: Logitech keyboard replacement issues
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic@none.invalid (Nic)
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 05:02:38 -0500
 by: Nic - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 10:02 UTC

On 2/8/24 3:04 AM, azigni wrote:
> I had an older wireless Logitech keyboard which I found out unfortunately
> was not waterproof. I replaced it with a Logitech MX Mechanical keyboard.
>
> Upon bootup (2 year old HP desktop, i7) I need to use Windows Key and ESC
> to get to the boot menu if I wish to directly boot Windows or my alternate
> Linux OS.
>
> I can no longer suspend if the keyboard is on. I must turn the keyboard
> off, then the desktop shuts down...
>
> To make a long story shorter, I thought a keyboard was a keyboard, ." ".
> Has this changed? Do I need to do a reinstall to have the keyboard work
> properly, or has Logitech lost their minds? This keyboard is supposedly
> Linux compatible, which in itself I find an interesting selling point.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Go with a wired usb keyboard, get rid of the wireless.

Re: Logitech keyboard replacement issues

<20240208123932.3bf8d38ea4ff5363eb72bd4f@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7603&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7603

From: pinnerite@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 12:39:32 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 12:39 UTC

On Thu, 8 Feb 2024 05:02:38 -0500
Nic <Nic@none.invalid> wrote:

> On 2/8/24 3:04 AM, azigni wrote:
> > I had an older wireless Logitech keyboard which I found out unfortunately
> > was not waterproof. I replaced it with a Logitech MX Mechanical keyboard.
> >
> > Upon bootup (2 year old HP desktop, i7) I need to use Windows Key and ESC
> > to get to the boot menu if I wish to directly boot Windows or my alternate
> > Linux OS.
> >
> > I can no longer suspend if the keyboard is on. I must turn the keyboard
> > off, then the desktop shuts down...
> >
> > To make a long story shorter, I thought a keyboard was a keyboard, ." ".
> > Has this changed? Do I need to do a reinstall to have the keyboard work
> > properly, or has Logitech lost their minds? This keyboard is supposedly
> > Linux compatible, which in itself I find an interesting selling point.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> Go with a wired usb keyboard, get rid of the wireless.

I live in England. We have a local supermarket called Lidl. The last
time I was there, they had wired keyboards for under £5. If I did not
have my own spares I would have bought one.

As a rule I always try and buy Cherry keyboards. I did make a mistake
once and bought one with German keytops. Neddless to say I couldn't
replace them.

For testing, I always use a wired mouse but for general use I use a
logitech wireless mouse. It is the best one that i have ever used. The
AA battery lasts for yonks.

I have never sought a Linux=-compatible keyboard. In my experience they
all have been.

I do have small combined keyboard / tracker pad for driving an HTPC.
Unfortunately it assumes all users will live in the USA and there is no
way to change it. It works OK.

On reflextion I haven't helped. Sorry. :)

Alan

--
Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-92-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8
AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU 16Gb Dram 2TB Barracuda

Re: Logitech keyboard replacement issues

<uq2see$217da$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7604&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7604

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 10:36:45 -0500
 by: Paul - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 15:36 UTC

On 2/8/2024 3:04 AM, azigni wrote:
> I had an older wireless Logitech keyboard which I found out unfortunately
> was not waterproof. I replaced it with a Logitech MX Mechanical keyboard.
>
> Upon bootup (2 year old HP desktop, i7) I need to use Windows Key and ESC
> to get to the boot menu if I wish to directly boot Windows or my alternate
> Linux OS.
>
> I can no longer suspend if the keyboard is on. I must turn the keyboard
> off, then the desktop shuts down...
>
> To make a long story shorter, I thought a keyboard was a keyboard, ." ".
> Has this changed? Do I need to do a reinstall to have the keyboard work
> properly, or has Logitech lost their minds? This keyboard is supposedly
> Linux compatible, which in itself I find an interesting selling point.
>
> Thanks in advance.

https://superuser.com/questions/1734897/logitech-mx-keys-wireless-keyboard-not-working-on-usb-in-bios-and-bootloader

There are three interfaces to consider apparently.

A USB cable, that happens to only be for charging the equipment.
That's not it.

The air interface on the keyboard supports two interfaces.
It apparently works with generic Bluetooth.
But the box may have contained a Nano transmitter
for the PC, and that is not exactly Bluetooth (or something).
The Nano transmitter might be compatible.

*******

As for the notion "a keyboard is a keyboard", absolutely not.

I can find evidence, that some Microsoft Ergonomic keyboard,
it does not generate keycodes suitable for operating the
BIOS entry key and the BIOS popup boot key. Multiple posters
have complained in various forums and tech supports, and
the conclusions of the posters were that "changing to another
keyboard fixed it". And Microsoft, of all manufacturers,
could not apparently determine their gear was <cough> compatible.

Paul

Re: Logitech keyboard replacement issues

<l2kliqFq619U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7605&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7605

From: me@privacy.invalid (s|b)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2024 19:41:30 +0100
 by: s|b - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 18:41 UTC

On Thu, 8 Feb 2024 05:02:38 -0500, Nic wrote:

> Go with a wired usb keyboard, get rid of the wireless.

Got a suggestion? Last I checked wired Logitech isn't easy to find. I
had to switch to wireless (so far, no problems).

--
s|b

Re: Logitech keyboard replacement issues

<5maasileeomdm5go5g3jpbhmhc7m1ll8r6@net.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7606&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7606

From: Yrrah-aolm@aolm.invalid (Yrrah)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Sender: Yrrah <Yrrah-aolm@aolm.invalid>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2024 20:57:04 +0100
 by: Yrrah - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 19:57 UTC

azigni <azigni@yahoo.com>:
> This keyboard is supposedly
> Linux compatible, which in itself I find an interesting selling point.

Are there Linux incompatible keyboards? I've never had one that's not
"Linux compatible". Currently I use a Fujitsu keyboard (Made in
Germany, but qwerty), which I picked up at a garage sale many years
ago. I've cleaned it thoroughly and am still very happy with it. And
it's 100% "Linux compatible"! The keyboard has 5 small extra buttons:
home, e-mail, vol-, mute, vol+. The home button works (when Nemo is
running), the e-mail one works too. vol-, mute, vol+ don't work with
ALSA (of course!), but they do work with PulseAudio. The keyboard has
a button with a stand-by/suspend function; it works, but I never use
it. The key between the right "superkey" and Ctrl, which brings up the
right click context menu, works too.

Yrrah

Re: Logitech keyboard replacement issues

<wpxCN.442718$7sbb.327901@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7711&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7711

From: 2024morons@yahoo.com (TrumpLover)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 02:15:56 GMT
 by: TrumpLover - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 02:15 UTC

For whatever reason the keyboard was the issue for LMDE 6 not suspending.
The culprit is a Logitech MX Mechanical Wireless Illuminated Performance
Keyboard, which says it is Linux compatible - not.

I replaced it with a Thrift Store $3.99 wired keyboard and the problem is
gone.

I had tried Debian's suggestions, and a few other websites suggestions for
making suspend function properly. Next, I deleted and installed LMDE 6, MX
Linux, and SolidX, all would not suspend. I deleted Nvidia drivers,
installed NVidia drivers. Finally, I tried straight Debian and it
suspended - once.

Today at a thrift store, I thought I buy a $3.99 keyboard to re-donate if
it did not make a difference. Happy days are here again!

I hope no one else ever has this issue. Shame on Logitech!

Re: Logitech keyboard replacement issues

<urffii$1scat$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7712&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7712

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 08:33:05 -0500
 by: Paul - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 13:33 UTC

On 2/24/2024 9:15 PM, TrumpLover wrote:
> For whatever reason the keyboard was the issue for LMDE 6 not suspending.
> The culprit is a Logitech MX Mechanical Wireless Illuminated Performance
> Keyboard, which says it is Linux compatible - not.
>
> I replaced it with a Thrift Store $3.99 wired keyboard and the problem is
> gone.
>
> I had tried Debian's suggestions, and a few other websites suggestions for
> making suspend function properly. Next, I deleted and installed LMDE 6, MX
> Linux, and SolidX, all would not suspend. I deleted Nvidia drivers,
> installed NVidia drivers. Finally, I tried straight Debian and it
> suspended - once.
>
> Today at a thrift store, I thought I buy a $3.99 keyboard to re-donate if
> it did not make a difference. Happy days are here again!
>
> I hope no one else ever has this issue. Shame on Logitech!

Making keyboards is hard.

Keyboards have a cruft-filled history (the "8042 controller" is a good keyword).

https://wiki.osdev.org/%228042%22_PS/2_Controller

The BIOS also has a screen, for some legacy behavior.
There is an emulation technique, where the BIOS
transfers a character from a USB keyboard, into
the SuperIO PS/2 buffer, and this "fools" some
older non-USB OSes into thinking a PS/2 keyboard
is connected.

With wireless keyboards, the transmitter can be Bluetooth,
or it can be HID based (behaves like a wired keyboard).
There's no reason for a Bluetooth keyboard to work at BIOS level,
at least, unless the Bluetooth is soldered to the motherboard
and has native support. The HID version (Logitech makes some)
should always work, by comparison.

Suspending problems, used to be an Apple thing, for chips that
interfaced to peripherals. You had to shop carefully, to get
addon cards that "supported Sleep".

I don't think other OSes had quite the same amount of trouble.

Another keyword that comes to mind, is "selective suspend".
but that's for power-saving on peripherals. That should have
nothing to do with an inability to sleep -- but you might try
leaving your ports in a "non-power-save" state, just in case
the reason it won't suspend, is because the OS can't actually
reach the keyboard to shut it down (the link to it is down).

Paul

Re: Logitech keyboard replacement issues

<AvSCN.336629$vFZa.261853@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7713&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7713

From: azigni@yahoo.com (azigni)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 02:16:00 GMT
 by: azigni - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 02:16 UTC

On Sun, 25 Feb 2024 08:33:05 -0500, Paul wrote:

Thank you for that.