7 May, 2024: fms is rebuilding. Don't expect much in that section for quite a few days, maybe longer.

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Re: (OT) Is it possible to receive SMS TEXT to my computer?

SubjectAuthor
* (OT) Is it possible to receive SMS TEXT to my computer?nic
+- Re: (OT) Is it possible to receive SMS TEXT to my computer?Mike Easter
`* Re: (OT) Is it possible to receive SMS TEXT to my computer?Big Al
 `- Re: (OT) Is it possible to receive SMS TEXT to my computer?nic

1
(OT) Is it possible to receive SMS TEXT to my computer?

<op.2ig9zcknkxopkn@localhost>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7578&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7578

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: (OT) Is it possible to receive SMS TEXT to my computer?
From: nic@none.net (nic)
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2024 14:34:14 -0500
 by: nic - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 19:34 UTC

I understand how to send TEXT messages through the email system, but has
anyone figured out how to receive TEXT messages.
I imagine that it would be as simple as a usb thumb drive with a sim card.
My purpose is use it for identification purposes, as more and more
services are going towards using this method instead of email.

Re: (OT) Is it possible to receive SMS TEXT to my computer?

<l22fl1Fho80U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7579&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7579

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 13:09:53 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 21:09 UTC

nic wrote:
> I understand how to send TEXT messages through the email system, but has
> anyone figured out how to receive TEXT messages.
> I imagine that it would be as simple as a usb thumb drive with a sim card.
> My purpose is use it for identification purposes, as more and more
> services are going towards using this method instead of email.

I have google voice numbers. They can receive calls, voice messages,
and text messages. I access a google voice number on my desktop to read
text msg/s. GV also can email me notification of a GV msg.

--
Mike Easter

Re: (OT) Is it possible to receive SMS TEXT to my computer?

<uph2a7$280jh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7580&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7580

From: alan@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 16:26:30 -0500
 by: Big Al - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 21:26 UTC

On 2/1/24 02:34 PM, nic wrote:
> I understand how to send TEXT messages through the email system, but has anyone figured out how to
> receive TEXT messages.
> I imagine that it would be as simple as a usb thumb drive with a sim card.
> My purpose is use it for identification purposes, as more and more services are going towards using
> this method instead of email.

I'm on android, you didn't state what phone.
I use pushbullet pro.

There is an add-on for all web browsers.
There is an app in the google play store.
I sign in with my gmail account on the phone and browser. In the browser, I pick my phone.

As long as a browser is running you'll get popups, if not, at least your phone should chime.
If you bring up your browser and click the app icon on the toolbar (which you 'should' put there)
you can then see, copy, text, etc just like on the phone.

I even just today, sent a picture in one text message. I do it on the phone, but have never done it
in the browser. I was pleased to see that feature working.

Been using this for years on several phones back to android 7.
--
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon
Al

Re: (OT) Is it possible to receive SMS TEXT to my computer?

<op.2ihg4wf1kxopkn@localhost>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7582&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7582

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: nic@none.net (nic)
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2024 17:08:46 -0500
 by: nic - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 22:08 UTC

No phone involved, since I can send TEXT via email system I thought there
might be a way to receive text. I don't use Google, have it blocked at
the domain level. I thought there might be a way to get text messages
straight to my computer.