7 May, 2024: fms is rebuilding. Don't expect much in that section for quite a few days, maybe longer.

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / question

SubjectAuthor
* questionNic
+* Re: questionPaul
|`* Re: questionMike Scott
| +* Re: questionBig Al
| |`- Re: questionPaul
| `* Re: questionpinnerite
|  `* Re: questionMike Easter
|   `- Re: questionMike Scott
`- Re: questionMike Easter

1
question

<tThpN.3019$mMj7.1380@fx01.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7443&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7443

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic@none.invalid (Nic)
Subject: question
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 16:57:45 -0500
 by: Nic - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 21:57 UTC

In my update manager is an update called mintupgrade upgrade tool, it is
125 kb, by installing/downloading this, will it start an automated
upgrading process or is it a dormant tool to use when need? Is it
possible to see the code?

--
Pity the fool who followed his GPS over the cliff

Re: question

<uo4ic4$14i7k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7447&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7447

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: question
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 19:24:35 -0500
 by: Paul - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:24 UTC

On 1/15/2024 4:57 PM, Nic wrote:
> In my update manager is an update called mintupgrade upgrade tool, it is 125 kb, by installing/downloading this, will it start an automated upgrading process or is it a dormant tool to use when need? Is it possible to see the code?

http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/main/m/mintupgrade/

http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/main/m/mintupgrade/mintupgrade_2024.01.12.tar.xz

mintupgrade_2024.01.12.tar.xz\mintupgrade_2024.01.12.tar\mintupgrade\usr\lib\linuxmint\mintupgrade\

(seven Python3 files, including constants_mint.py, indicates it expects 20.3 as starting materials)

And you could predict this, after seeing Clem dash off python3 code for
the Hypnotix discussion up-thread. Clem would appear to be a "python3 writing machine" :-)

The installer labels the high-level things, and the install logic
will pull in the dependencies. At a guess.

IMPORTANT_PACKAGES = [
"mint-meta-cinnamon",
"mint-meta-mate",
"mint-meta-xfce",
"xreader",
"xed",
"xviewer",
"pix",
"mintsystem",
"metacity",
"nemo-preview",
"mintdrivers",
"mintupdate",
"mintsources",
"mintinstall",
"ubuntu-system-adjustments",
"debian-system-adjustments",
"cinnamon",
"cinnamon-control-center",
"cinnamon-session",
"cinnamon-settings-daemon",
"cinnamon-screensaver",
"cjs",
"nemo",
"xfwm4",
"mate-panel",
"marco",
"caja",
"mate-settings-daemon",
"xfce4-xapp-status-plugin",
"gnome-calendar",
"onboard",
"lightdm",
"slick-greeter",
"plymouth"
]

It checks things, like your timeshift status, to see whether
you've protected yourself with a backup.

There is also a .deb similar to the .tar.xz and perhaps
that is how it ends up on the machine as a package.

Paul

Re: question

<l0m9ccFbusU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7448&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7448

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 18:52:58 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 02:52 UTC

Nic wrote:
> In my update manager is an update called mintupgrade upgrade tool, it is
> 125 kb, by installing/downloading this, will it start an automated
> upgrading process

It will not do that by dl/ing/ installing; it is only 125 kb; that's
nothing.

> or is it a dormant tool to use when need? Is it
> possible to see the code?

It is possible to dl the package w/o installing it by using apt. The
name of the package is mintupgrade.

You can dl the package and its dependencies w/

sudo apt-get install --download-only mintupgrade

Then, all of that is in /var/cache/apt/archives/

.... which consists of several .deb/s acpi crudini puthon3-iniparse
mintupgrade mintupgrade-info mintupgrade_2024.01.12_all

Then you can examine the contents of all of those .deb/s if that is what
you want to do.

--
Mike Easter

Re: question

<uo5e6r$1boem$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7449&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7449

From: usenet.16@scottsonline.org.uk.invalid (Mike Scott)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 08:19:39 +0000
 by: Mike Scott - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 08:19 UTC

On 16/01/2024 00:24, Paul wrote:
> It checks things, like your timeshift status, to see whether
> you've protected yourself with a backup.

Which is getting tediously windows-like.

My preferred method is to backup user data - using a different means to
timeshift - and not worry about the system: my judgement is that
timeshift takes a significant time (and space), the upgrade is not
likely to fail, and a full system install is reasonably quick anyway.

I don't like systems demanding I do things "it's" way and no other. By
all means stick a big red "have you backed up" notice on the screen.
Don't stop me doing things my way. Please.

--
Mike Scott
Harlow, England

Re: question

<uo5tjv$1e5hh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7450&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7450

From: alan@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 07:42:39 -0500
 by: Big Al - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 12:42 UTC

On 1/16/24 03:19 AM, Mike Scott wrote:
> I don't like systems demanding I do things "it's" way and no other. By
> all means stick a big red "have you backed up" notice on the screen.
> Don't stop me doing things my way. Please.
I don't know what all this 'timeshift' stuff is about in this thread,
but I don't use timeshift and the upgrade went as expected. If I got a
warning, I must have glanced over it, but I don't remember one.

You're right though, the upgrade was painless, I followed the upgrade
suggestions from Linux Mint team before doing the upgrade.
--
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon
Al

Re: question

<uo61og$1fei4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7451&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7451

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 08:53:20 -0500
 by: Paul - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 13:53 UTC

On 1/16/2024 7:42 AM, Big Al wrote:
> On 1/16/24 03:19 AM, Mike Scott wrote:
>> I don't like systems demanding I do things "it's" way and no other. By all means stick a big red "have you backed up" notice on the screen. Don't stop me doing things my way. Please.
> I don't know what all this 'timeshift' stuff is about in this thread, but I don't use timeshift and the upgrade went as expected.  If I got a warning, I must have glanced over it, but I don't remember one.
>
> You're right though, the upgrade was painless, I followed the upgrade suggestions from Linux Mint team before doing the upgrade.

But the reason upgrade was painless, is you've done one before.

Having done a couple, I have some idea now what the pre-conditions
should be (remove PPAs, return video driver to stock). Linux
Grandma would not run into trouble, because she would be using
things in appliance-state, and so the Upgrade should be cleared
for takeoff. Power users, who can mess up a system, can un-mess
it if they want to use the Upgrade system.

For people who recognize what a reference to Timeshift means
on their screen, they can use whatever thing they have cobbled
together for their own protection. There might even be people
doing a "dd" of their disk :-) Because they can.

And Nanny Notifications appear on the screen all the time.
It's not like this is an abnormal amount of care.

I had a Ubuntu the other day, start doing updates just before
I was about to shut down. So I shut down, and now it won't shut
down, and it's not taking no for an answer. I turned off the power.
There you go nanny, mind the bottom step :-)

Paul

Re: question

<20240116170613.e21d676e77c58d76b9954b32@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7452&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7452

From: pinnerite@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 17:06:13 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 17:06 UTC

On Tue, 16 Jan 2024 08:19:39 +0000
Mike Scott <usenet.16@scottsonline.org.uk.invalid> wrote:

> On 16/01/2024 00:24, Paul wrote:
> > It checks things, like your timeshift status, to see whether
> > you've protected yourself with a backup.
>
> Which is getting tediously windows-like.
>
> My preferred method is to backup user data - using a different means to
> timeshift - and not worry about the system: my judgement is that
> timeshift takes a significant time (and space), the upgrade is not
> likely to fail, and a full system install is reasonably quick anyway.
>
> I don't like systems demanding I do things "it's" way and no other. By
> all means stick a big red "have you backed up" notice on the screen.
> Don't stop me doing things my way. Please.
>

> --
> Mike Scott
> Harlow, England

I tried sending you a ptivate email but I couldn't get the address string right.

Alan

--
Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-91-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8
AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU 16Gb Dram 2TB Barracuda

Re: question

<l0odgcFd9nkU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7453&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7453

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 14:15:39 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 22:15 UTC

pinnerite wrote:
> I tried sending you a ptivate email but I couldn't get the address string right.

If you get rid of the .invalid that is a real domain (with a MX) which
looks pretty likely for the Scotts in Harlow.

--
Mike Easter

Re: question

<uo81dl$1te9q$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7454&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7454

From: usenet.16@scottsonline.org.uk.invalid (Mike Scott)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 07:59:49 +0000
 by: Mike Scott - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 07:59 UTC

On 16/01/2024 22:15, Mike Easter wrote:
> pinnerite wrote:
>> I tried sending you a ptivate email but I couldn't get the address
>> string right.
>
> If you get rid of the .invalid that is a real domain (with a MX) which
> looks pretty likely for the Scotts in Harlow.

Indeed; thank you for clarifying that :-)

The usenet.16 bit is a throwaway address; it does actually still work.

--
Mike Scott
Harlow, England