I wish you humans would leave me alone.

computers / alt.comp.software.seamonkey / Re: Search engine that ACTUALLY use specified boolean qualifiers

SubjectAuthor
* Search engine that ACTUALLY use specified boolean qualifiersRichard Owlett
+- Search engine that ACTUALLY use specified boolean qualifiersRichmond
+* Search engine that ACTUALLY use specified boolean qualifiersAndy Burns
|`* Search engine that ACTUALLY use specified boolean qualifiersNuno Silva
| +- Search engine that ACTUALLY use specified boolean qualifiersAndy Burns
| `- Search engine that ACTUALLY use specified boolean qualifiersDon Spam's Reckless Son
+* Search engine that ACTUALLY use specified boolean qualifiersgerry 666uk
|`- Search engine that ACTUALLY use specified boolean qualifiersBarryedwin1
`- Search engine that ACTUALLY use specified boolean qualifiersPaul Bergsagel

1
Search engine that ACTUALLY use specified boolean qualifiers

<0bucnTEkOMqCrz35nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=709&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#709

Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
From: rowlett@cloud85.net (Richard Owlett)
Subject: Search engine that ACTUALLY use specified boolean qualifiers
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2023 09:03:10 -0500
 by: Richard Owlett - Sat, 1 Jul 2023 14:03 UTC

Decades ago when I first started using online search engines, placing a
"+" sign before a term returned only references containing that term.
Similarly, using a "-" sign would exclude references containing that term.

This morning I wanted to search my local library for any self help
material for adults with ADHD.

Having used the library's tools, I knew it had at least 30 relevant
circulating items. As the library wasn't yet open for the day and I was
interested in non-circulating material, I did:

https://html.duckduckgo.com/html?q=%2Badult%20%2B%22adhd%22%20%2B%22self%20help%22%20site%3Athelibrary.org

None of the hits included "adhd". The search engine obviously had access
to the library's catalog as the first hit was a book on teaching adults
to read :{

Is there an online search engine that actually works?
[P.S. Google didn't work either]

Re: Search engine that ACTUALLY use specified boolean qualifiers

<855y73vfcd.fsf@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=710&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#710

From: dnomhcir@gmx.com (Richmond)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2023 16:09:06 +0100
 by: Richmond - Sat, 1 Jul 2023 15:09 UTC

Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> writes:

> Decades ago when I first started using online search engines, placing
> a "+" sign before a term returned only references containing that
> term. Similarly, using a "-" sign would exclude references containing
> that term.
>
> This morning I wanted to search my local library for any self help
> material for adults with ADHD.
>
> Having used the library's tools, I knew it had at least 30 relevant
> circulating items. As the library wasn't yet open for the day and I
> was interested in non-circulating material, I did:
> >
> https://html.duckduckgo.com/html?q=%2Badult%20%2B%22adhd%22%20%2B%22self%20help%22%20site%3Athelibrary.org
>
> None of the hits included "adhd". The search engine obviously had
> access to the library's catalog as the first hit was a book on
> teaching adults to read :{
>
> Is there an online search engine that actually works?
> [P.S. Google didn't work either]

When I removed the terms except +adhd I found only three results.

I tried

https://www.qwant.com/?l=en&q=%2BADHD+site%3Athelibrary.org&t=web

and it also found only three results.

So how do you know there are 30 relevent items?

Re: Search engine that ACTUALLY use specified boolean qualifiers

<kgb5r1FdfieU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=711&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#711

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2023 18:24:51 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 1 Jul 2023 17:24 UTC

Richard Owlett wrote:

> Decades ago when I first started using online search engines, placing a
> "+" sign before a term returned only references containing that term.
> Similarly, using a "-" sign would exclude references containing that term.
>
> Is there an online search engine that actually works?
> [P.S. Google didn't work either]

plus hasn't worked on google for a looong time, though minus still does,
sometimes the verbatim option under search/tools helps, sometimes
combining words inside quotes e.g. "adult adhd" helps.

Re: Search engine that ACTUALLY use specified boolean qualifiers

<u7ptfr$30ihs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=712&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#712

From: gerry666uk@protonmail.com (gerry 666uk)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2023 20:06:35 +0100
 by: gerry 666uk - Sat, 1 Jul 2023 19:06 UTC

Richard Owlett wrote:
> Decades ago when I first started using online search engines, placing a
> "+" sign

>   >
> https://html.duckduckgo.com/html?q=%2Badult%20%2B%22adhd%22%20%2B%22self%20help%22%20site%3Athelibrary.org

I tried this query in the default duckduckgo search page:

adhd site:thelibrary.org

and it found three results

Note, that I didn't even use the plus sign

Re: Search engine that ACTUALLY use specified boolean qualifiers

<u7q8a9$31s27$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=713&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#713

From: barryedwingilmour@gmail.com (Barryedwin1)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2023 06:11:18 +0800
 by: Barryedwin1 - Sat, 1 Jul 2023 22:11 UTC

gerry 666uk wrote on 2/7/23 3:06 am:
> Richard Owlett wrote:
>> Decades ago when I first started using online search engines, placing
>> a "+" sign
>
>>    >
>> https://html.duckduckgo.com/html?q=%2Badult%20%2B%22adhd%22%20%2B%22self%20help%22%20site%3Athelibrary.org
>

> I tried this query in the default duckduckgo search page:
>
> adhd site:thelibrary.org
>
> and it found three results
>
> Note, that I didn't even use the plus sign

I got 15 results using that DuckDuckGo address in Google search engine.
Isn't competition wonderful?

Re: Search engine that ACTUALLY use specified boolean qualifiers

<u7qrt9$37f7r$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=715&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#715

From: pbergsagel@shaw.ca (Paul Bergsagel)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2023 22:45:44 -0500
 by: Paul Bergsagel - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 03:45 UTC

Richard Owlett wrote:
> Decades ago when I first started using online search engines, placing a
> "+" sign before a term returned only references containing that term.
> Similarly, using a "-" sign would exclude references containing that term.
>
> This morning I wanted to search my local library for any self help
> material for adults with ADHD.
>
> Having used the library's tools, I knew it had at least 30 relevant
> circulating items. As the library wasn't yet open for the day and I was
> interested in non-circulating material, I did:
>   >
> https://html.duckduckgo.com/html?q=%2Badult%20%2B%22adhd%22%20%2B%22self%20help%22%20site%3Athelibrary.org
>

> None of the hits included "adhd". The search engine obviously had access
> to the library's catalog as the first hit was a book on teaching adults
> to read :{
>
> Is there an online search engine that actually works?
> [P.S. Google didn't work either]

FYI,
20 Google Search Tips to Use Google More Efficiently:

https://www.lifehack.org/articles/technology/20-tips-use-google-search-efficiently.html

Re: Search engine that ACTUALLY use specified boolean qualifiers

<u86cib$u71i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=739&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#739

From: nunojsilva@invalid.invalid (Nuno Silva)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2023 13:37:30 +0100
 by: Nuno Silva - Thu, 6 Jul 2023 12:37 UTC

On 2023-07-01, Andy Burns wrote:

> Richard Owlett wrote:
>
>> Decades ago when I first started using online search engines,
>> placing a "+" sign before a term returned only references containing
>> that term. Similarly, using a "-" sign would exclude references
>> containing that term.

I think when I first started seeing advice about "boolean operators" in
search queries it was in the form of "AND", "OR", "NOT" between
keywords. But maybe I'm misremembering, it was a long time (20--25
years?) ago. I've got no idea if it actually worked like that, or in
which search engines did it work like that.

I'd be interested in knowing which search engines currently offer the
user this kind of control over the search.

>> Is there an online search engine that actually works?
>> [P.S. Google didn't work either]
>
> plus hasn't worked on google for a looong time, though minus still
> does, sometimes the verbatim option under search/tools helps,
> sometimes combining words inside quotes e.g. "adult adhd" helps.

With Google, I think "sometimes" ends up being the key word way too
often. Adding quotes around might help, unless Google decides it's
helpful to ignore it (quite often it isn't...). Google also excels at
sometimes delivering a bunch of unrelated results instead of saying "no
results" or "no further results".

Google also has a tendency to temporarily blacklist IPs which use these
search tools. If I do a few searches for verbatim matches or limiting to
a specific host/part of a host with site:, I often end up being
redirected to their "we think you're a bot" page after a while.

--
Nuno Silva

Re: Search engine that ACTUALLY use specified boolean qualifiers

<kgnrqoFcv7nU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=740&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#740

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2023 13:53:45 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 6 Jul 2023 12:53 UTC

Nuno Silva wrote:

> Google also excels at sometimes delivering a bunch of unrelated
> results instead of saying "no results" or "no further results".

Yep, if you search for gibberish like "buy jduukgy"
there's usually someone (ebay or amazon) dumb enough to pay for your
search and return results qualified with

Missing: jduukgy ‎| Must include: jduukgy

Re: Search engine that ACTUALLY use specified boolean qualifiers

<u86ocj$vqij$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=741&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#741

From: hyperspace.flyover@vogon.gov.invalid (Don Spam's Reckless Son)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2023 17:59:15 +0200
 by: Don Spam's Reck - Thu, 6 Jul 2023 15:59 UTC

Nuno Silva wrote:
> On 2023-07-01, Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> Richard Owlett wrote:
>>
>>> Decades ago when I first started using online search engines,
>>> placing a "+" sign before a term returned only references containing
>>> that term. Similarly, using a "-" sign would exclude references
>>> containing that term.
>
> I think when I first started seeing advice about "boolean operators" in
> search queries it was in the form of "AND", "OR", "NOT" between
> keywords. But maybe I'm misremembering, it was a long time (20--25
> years?) ago. I've got no idea if it actually worked like that, or in
> which search engines did it work like that.
>
> I'd be interested in knowing which search engines currently offer the
> user this kind of control over the search.
>
>>> Is there an online search engine that actually works?
>>> [P.S. Google didn't work either]
>>
>> plus hasn't worked on google for a looong time, though minus still
>> does, sometimes the verbatim option under search/tools helps,
>> sometimes combining words inside quotes e.g. "adult adhd" helps.
>
> With Google, I think "sometimes" ends up being the key word way too
> often. Adding quotes around might help, unless Google decides it's
> helpful to ignore it (quite often it isn't...). Google also excels at
> sometimes delivering a bunch of unrelated results instead of saying "no
> results" or "no further results".
>
> Google also has a tendency to temporarily blacklist IPs which use these
> search tools. If I do a few searches for verbatim matches or limiting to
> a specific host/part of a host with site:, I often end up being
> redirected to their "we think you're a bot" page after a while.

Are they right? Are you a bot? Google's AI is presumably about to tell
the world that you are, and Google knows *everything*.