The world is no nursery. -- Sigmund Freud

computers / comp.sys.tandem / Re: Migrating HP Integrity NonStop to latest HPE NonStop X86 servers.

SubjectAuthor
* Migrating HP Integrity NonStop to latest HPE NonStop X86 servers.Vijay Kumar Jhala
+- Re: Migrating HP Integrity NonStop to latest HPE NonStop X86 servers.Randall
`- Re: Migrating HP Integrity NonStop to latest HPE NonStop X86 servers.Bill Honaker

1
Migrating HP Integrity NonStop to latest HPE NonStop X86 servers.

<1717f7a9-060e-4cb8-bb82-dfb7c168be3an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=727&group=comp.sys.tandem#727

Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandem
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 01:18:43 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Migrating HP Integrity NonStop to latest HPE NonStop X86 servers.
From: jhalavijay@gmail.com (Vijay Kumar Jhala)
 by: Vijay Kumar Jhala - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 08:18 UTC

Hi All,

We have to migrate our many years old HPE NonStop Itanium servers to new HPE NonStop X servers, and we have no previous background of migration in our team as all the old team members were retired few years back.

Did anyone migrate to these new servers successfully and is it possible on our own without any external consultancy?

Re: Migrating HP Integrity NonStop to latest HPE NonStop X86 servers.

<3487e6b3-5ddd-453d-9169-29d9417e8206n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=729&group=comp.sys.tandem#729

Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandem
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 14:13:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: rsbecker@nexbridge.com (Randall)
 by: Randall - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 21:13 UTC

On Friday, September 15, 2023 at 4:18:45 a.m. UTC-4, Vijay Kumar Jhala wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We have to migrate our many years old HPE NonStop Itanium servers to new HPE NonStop X servers, and we have no previous background of migration in our team as all the old team members were retired few years back.
>
> Did anyone migrate to these new servers successfully and is it possible on our own without any external consultancy?

Hi Vijay,

Please include "what" you are trying to migrate. SQL/MX? SQL/MP? Native Code? Non-Native Code? TCP/IP? SCF?, etc. There are new products and different ways of managing the system. From an application migration standpoint, it is fairly straightforward. Code 100 programs should continue to run as long as you are not trying to use new features on L-series that are not on H-series. Native code needs to be recompiled. Generally these are source-compatible, but depending on what your code used on H-series, you might find some small API changes. Also, there are limit and size differences as well as some subtle processor differences. Also, are you migrating home-built or vendor code? Are you implementing new things in your migration? There are many factors involved here. Does your vendor code behave the same way on both systems and do you have dependencies on RVU specific functions?

Regards,
Randall

Re: Migrating HP Integrity NonStop to latest HPE NonStop X86 servers.

<f7l9gi5hsj9mh6fqpmrt6ohcc8j82q987u@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=730&group=comp.sys.tandem#730

From: no_spam_bhonaker__@x_i_d.com (Bill Honaker)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandem
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 17:07:44 -0500
 by: Bill Honaker - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 22:07 UTC

On Fri, 15 Sep 2023 01:18:43 -0700 (PDT), Vijay Kumar Jhala <jhalavijay@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>We have to migrate our many years old HPE NonStop Itanium servers to new HPE NonStop X servers, and we have no previous background of migration in our team as all the old team members were retired few years back.
>
>Did anyone migrate to these new servers successfully and is it possible on our own without any external consultancy?

Vijay,

In addition to Randall's excellent items, a couple of things.

If your production enmvironment(s) use replication products, some of them aren't available on TNS-X.

Secondly, I have seen programs that don't do proper bounds checks, but that worked fine on Itanium, may show up as failures on x86.
This is due to differences in the memory management and stack implementations.

The HPE account team for your company may be able to give you some basic guidance on how to decide what, if any consultancy you may require.

Good luck!