From: ahk@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: news.groups
Subject: Re: Please do something about the spam
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 02:59:58 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 02:59 UTC

I refuse to post in the moderated group.

Wanderer <dont@emailme.com> wrote:

>The Big-8 newsgroups are being swamped with spam. Please, do something about the spam.

>Now comes the part where someone makes excuses and tells me to get a newsreader that can filter out the spam, so I can that no one posts here anymore because usenet is a spam ridden hole.

>Do something.

>1. Makes yourselves the default moderators and implement some simple generic spam filters. You don't have to get involved in policing off topic posts and flame wars.

Moderation sucks as a spam countermeasure.

>2. Find real moderators for groups. Some are easy.
>comp.os.msdos.djgpp and comp.lang.python are mirrors of mailing
>lists. Make the mailing list admins the moderators.

You can't just proclaim "There shall be moderators for unmoderated
Usenet!" We have hundreds -- HUNDREDS -- of moderated newsgroups that
cannot be posted to for lack of moderators.

>3. Complain. Contact news servers that inject too much spam.
>Complain to Google about Google Groups. They might listen to an
>official complaint from the Big-8.

Why? They bought Deja then ruined newsgroups. They don't maintain the
indexing mechanism so newsgroup search fails. They don't care that they
are the spam source. They are incapable of injecting articles into
Usenet that are conventional. They encode which is obnoxiously vile.

>4. Issue a statement to news server providers asking them to block
>news servers that inject too much spam.

That's called the Usenet Death Penalty. They are either passive or
active. No one has given a shit in decades.

>5. Supply spam filters to new servers and issue updates the way
>anti-malware software does.

They are being supplied. A four-person group has been implementing spam
countermeasures and creating NoCeMs. NoCeMs are offered for any News
server to process locally.

They don't catch it all. It's real work keeping up with all changing
spam tactics.

>Please do something.

>Thank you

You could ask your News administrator to process the NoCeMs. Why haven't
you yet done so?

Re: Please do something about the spam

<ujf22h$7psp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=722&group=news.groups#722

From: mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: news.groups
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 08:32:33 +0100
 by: Marco Moock - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 07:32 UTC

Am 20.11.2023 um 02:59:58 Uhr schrieb Adam H. Kerman:

> They don't catch it all. It's real work keeping up with all changing
> spam tactics.

It is rather interesting to see which IP ranges they use. Blocking all
google posts from that ranges or even entire ASN can be a good idea and
should include much of it.

computers / news.groups / Re: Please do something about the spam