From: nospam@lisse.NA (Dr Eberhard W Lisse)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Subject: spam on the list / newsgroup
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 10:49:31 +0200
 by: Dr Eberhard W Lisse - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 08:49 UTC

Hi,

we are seeing a lot of spam recently on the Usenet group to which
the mailing list is relayed. Could you kindly investigate if that
comes from the mailing list and if so close any loop holes?

el

--
To email me replace 'nospam' with 'el'

Re: spam on the list / newsgroup

<uh5dcu$31dph$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7204&group=comp.text.tex#7204

From: nunojsilva@invalid.invalid (Nuno Silva)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Subject: Re: spam on the list / newsgroup
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 10:16:15 +0100
 by: Nuno Silva - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 09:16 UTC

On 2023-10-23, Dr Eberhard W Lisse wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we are seeing a lot of spam recently on the Usenet group to which
> the mailing list is relayed. Could you kindly investigate if that
> comes from the mailing list and if so close any loop holes?
>
> el

Have a look at the Message-IDs of these posts, I think it's all coming
from Google Groups (ends with @googlegroups.com) (which has been a
source of USENET spam for a long, long time, it's just much more intense
right now).

NNTP headers probably also indicate that the message originated at
Google Groups.

Some news servers have been trying to filter the spam without having to
reject posts made in Google Groups, but I have no idea about the mailing
list.

(And, at some point, Google will probably disable anonymous access to
the archives of some USENET groups in their Groups interface because of
"banned content" (that is, because of the spam that has been posted
using Google Groups... - it wouldn't be the first time they pull that,
instead of realizing they are the source of the "banned content" and
acting on it...).)

--
Nuno Silva

Re: spam on the list / newsgroup

<8734y1v3vh.fsf@vagabond.tim-landscheidt.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7207&group=comp.text.tex#7207

From: tim@tim-landscheidt.de (Tim Landscheidt)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 13:56:50 +0000
 by: Tim Landscheidt - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 13:56 UTC

(anonymous) wrote:

>> we are seeing a lot of spam recently on the Usenet group to which
>> the mailing list is relayed. Could you kindly investigate if that
>> comes from the mailing list and if so close any loop holes?

> Have a look at the Message-IDs of these posts, I think it's all coming
> from Google Groups (ends with @googlegroups.com) (which has been a
> source of USENET spam for a long, long time, it's just much more intense
> right now).

> NNTP headers probably also indicate that the message originated at
> Google Groups.

> Some news servers have been trying to filter the spam without having to
> reject posts made in Google Groups, but I have no idea about the mailing
> list.

> (And, at some point, Google will probably disable anonymous access to
> the archives of some USENET groups in their Groups interface because of
> "banned content" (that is, because of the spam that has been posted
> using Google Groups... - it wouldn't be the first time they pull that,
> instead of realizing they are the source of the "banned content" and
> acting on it...).)

FWIW, I have reported (some) articles in the Google Groups
web interface as spam. To do that, I checked the mark to
the left of those conversations, then clicked on "!" and
submitted the following dialogue.

Tim

Re: spam on the list / newsgroup

<kpnvubFhpu5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7208&group=comp.text.tex#7208

From: nospam@lisse.NA (Dr Eberhard W Lisse)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 21:30:19 +0200
 by: Dr Eberhard W Lisse - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 19:30 UTC

Thank you

el