From: hzcnjkx656@tormails.com (None)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.sendmail
Subject: Handling_retries_differently_for_‘internal
’ and ‘external’ networks
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 12:22:27 +0200
 by: None - Thu, 18 May 2023 10:22 UTC

I was wondering if I could tune the incoming mail server better.
Currently these are trying to deliver ndr’s constantly to eg amm@dhl.com
and bounce@nds.fedex.com.

Nice would be if such ‘external’ messages would only be tried to
delivered two or 3 times. For messages that have to be delivered to the
‘internal’ the ‘default’ 5 days can be maintained.

‘internal’ maybe defined as a few ip ranges?

Re: Handling retries differently for ‘internal’ and ‘external’ networks

<u450r0$ttl$1@news.misty.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=717&group=comp.mail.sendmail#717

From: INVALID_NO_CC_REMOVE_IF_YOU_DO_NOT_POST_ml+sendmail(-no-copies-please)@esmtp.org (Claus Aßmann)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.sendmail
Subject: Re: Handling_retries_differently_for_‘internal
’ and ‘external’ networks
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 07:06:08 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: <ml+sendmail(-no-copies-please)@esmtp.org>
Originator: ca@x2.esmtp.org (Claus Assmann)
 by: Claus Aßmann - Thu, 18 May 2023 11:06 UTC

None wrote:

> Currently these are trying to deliver ndr's constantly to eg amm@dhl.com
> and bounce@nds.fedex.com.

Why does your system generate DSNs?
And why aren't those delivered?

Maybe you could fix those problems instead of trying to work around
them and also affecting other mails?

> Nice would be if such `external' messages would only be tried to
> delivered two or 3 times. For messages that have to be delivered to the

And if there is a temporary problem you want the message to fail
after 3 tries?

You could use "Queue Groups" and change the retry times,
but the overall timeout is global -- though there are
some "suboptions", see doc/op/op.*, e.g.,

If the message has a normal
(default) precedence and it is a delivery status
notification (DSN), Timeout.queuereturn.dsn and
Timeout.queuewarn.dsn can be used to give an alter-
native warn and return time for DSNs.

--
Note: please read the netiquette before posting. I will almost never
reply to top-postings which include a full copy of the previous

Re: Handling retries differently for ‘internal’ and ‘external’ networks

<u457dm$98ok$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=718&group=comp.mail.sendmail#718

From: hzcnjkx656@tormails.com (None)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.sendmail
’ and ‘external’ networks
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 14:58:30 +0200
 by: None - Thu, 18 May 2023 12:58 UTC

>> Currently these are trying to deliver ndr's constantly to eg amm@dhl.com
>> and bounce@nds.fedex.com.
>
> Why does your system generate DSNs?
> And why aren't those delivered?

If ip ranges have been put on a specific blacklist, they will be treated
as greylisting. In the greylist 4xx notification is a link that will
allow the email through when it is clicked. Because these 4xx are not
always (directly) communicated back to the sender, a message to the
envelope is send also.
This message is only send when the spf is valid (for invalid or no spf,
no such message is send)

> Maybe you could fix those problems instead of trying to work around
> them and also affecting other mails?

This is still in trial, for now I would like to see how this goes.

>> Nice would be if such `external' messages would only be tried to
>> delivered two or 3 times. For messages that have to be delivered to the
>
> And if there is a temporary problem you want the message to fail
> after 3 tries?

Yes, currently I have countless tries.

> You could use "Queue Groups" and change the retry times,
> but the overall timeout is global -- though there are
> some "suboptions", see doc/op/op.*, e.g.,
>
> If the message has a normal
> (default) precedence and it is a delivery status
> notification (DSN), Timeout.queuereturn.dsn and
> Timeout.queuewarn.dsn can be used to give an alter-
> native warn and return time for DSNs.

Oh ok that looks quite interesting. Obviously I am a little worried that
if something here is down mail is not going to be queued and bounced. So
I would prefer to have something that is deciding on ‘infrastructure’
instead of something like this.

QGRP:slow-poke.com slowgroup
QGRP:root@notify.com fastgroup
QGRP:your.domain localgroup

[1]
https://etutorials.org/Server+Administration/Sendmail/Part+II+Administration/Chapter+11.+Manage+the+Queue/11.4+Queue+Groups+V8.12+and+Above/

Re: Handling retries differently for ‘internal’ and ‘external’ networks

<u457la$99th$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=719&group=comp.mail.sendmail#719

From: hzcnjkx656@tormails.com (None)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.sendmail
’ and ‘external’ networks
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 15:02:34 +0200
 by: None - Thu, 18 May 2023 13:02 UTC

>> You could use "Queue Groups" and change the retry times,
>> but the overall timeout is global -- though there are
>> some "suboptions", see doc/op/op.*, e.g.,
>>
>>              If  the  message  has  a  normal
>>           (default)  precedence  and  it is a delivery status
>>           notification  (DSN),  Timeout.queuereturn.dsn   and
>>           Timeout.queuewarn.dsn can be used to give an alter-
>>           native warn and return time for  DSNs.
>>

> Oh ok that looks quite interesting. Obviously I am a little worried that
> if something here is down mail is not going to be queued and bounced. So
> I would prefer to have something that is deciding on ‘infrastructure’
> instead of something like this.
>
> QGRP:slow-poke.com      slowgroup
> QGRP:root@notify.com    fastgroup
> QGRP:your.domain        localgroup
>
> [1]
> https://etutorials.org/Server+Administration/Sendmail/Part+II+Administration/Chapter+11.+Manage+the+Queue/11.4+Queue+Groups+V8.12+and+Above/

Would it be possible to ‘tag’ a message with eg. a message header and on
the basis of this header the queue slowgroup is used?

Re: Re: Handling retries differently for ‘internal’ and ‘external’ networks

<u45tjh$1f8$1@news.misty.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=720&group=comp.mail.sendmail#720

From: INVALID_NO_CC_REMOVE_IF_YOU_DO_NOT_POST_ml+sendmail(-no-copies-please)@esmtp.org (Claus Aßmann)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.sendmail
Subject: Re: Re:_Handling_retries_differently_for_‘internal
’ and ‘external’ networks
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 15:17:05 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: <ml+sendmail(-no-copies-please)@esmtp.org>
Originator: ca@x2.esmtp.org (Claus Assmann)
 by: Claus Aßmann - Thu, 18 May 2023 19:17 UTC

None wrote:

> Would it be possible to `tag' a message with eg. a message header and on
> the basis of this header the queue slowgroup is used?

No.
Only envelope information (RCPT address) is known when the ruleset
is invoked.