From: nospam@invalid.com (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: WinPE or WinRE for Rescue Media?
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2023 04:12:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Fri, 13 Jan 2023 04:12 UTC

In this post, Paul suggests using WinPE rather than WinRE, as rescue media:

<s8eh25$298$1@dont-email.me>

I was reading a Macrium blog, stating to use WinRE, as it is a
'standalone' media. That is, no other drivers, etc. have to be later
downloaded.

https://blog.macrium.com/what-are-the-differences-between-winre-and-winpe-
and-which-one-should-i-use-63175331f15#:~:text=WinPE%20%E2%80%94%20Windows%
20Preinstallation%20Environment%20%E2%80%94%20is,troubleshoot%20and%
20deploy%20Windows%20installations.

OR

https://tinyurl.com/ms4dxrd2

Paul, why do you prefer WinPE?

TIA

Re: WinPE or WinRE for Rescue Media?

<tpqon4$1hflm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=70482&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#70482

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: WinPE or WinRE for Rescue Media?
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2023 00:03:31 -0500
 by: Paul - Fri, 13 Jan 2023 05:03 UTC

On 1/12/2023 11:12 PM, Boris wrote:
> In this post, Paul suggests using WinPE rather than WinRE, as rescue media:
>
> <s8eh25$298$1@dont-email.me>
>
> I was reading a Macrium blog, stating to use WinRE, as it is a
> 'standalone' media. That is, no other drivers, etc. have to be later
> downloaded.
>
> https://blog.macrium.com/what-are-the-differences-between-winre-and-winpe-
> and-which-one-should-i-use-63175331f15#:~:text=WinPE%20%E2%80%94%20Windows%
> 20Preinstallation%20Environment%20%E2%80%94%20is,troubleshoot%20and%
> 20deploy%20Windows%20installations.
>
> OR
>
> https://tinyurl.com/ms4dxrd2
>
> Paul, why do you prefer WinPE?
>
> TIA

When I followed the instructions, the software mixed
a 32-bit WinRE with 64-bit application software, which
won't work. And I didn't check this, until kooky stuff
happened at CD boot time.

The problem area, is having more than one Windows OS on
the machine at the time you make WinRE-based media.

I didn't cook this situation up specifically to trip up
the media-maker. It was just whatever was plugged into
the machine at the time I ran it. I didn't expect the
software to do it that way, as the reagentc information
should point it at the correct WinRE. There are a number
of ways it could have selected the "matching" WinRE.

I'm sure they have fixed it by now.

And I've never really had a "driver issue" with a WinPE.
The standard Microsoft mix seems to be good enough to
get the job done. If you use a WinPE that is too old,
then you would expect to not have USB3 XHCI drivers
on the media. Which would cause a problem seeing your
USB3 external drive, if that was the setup.

If you used an old enough computer, maybe instruction
set issues would cause a problem, before a missing driver would.

Macrium has plenty of capability to add custom drivers. If
you were using an NVMe RAID card, then you would likely need
custom stuff in that case. Then the WinRE might well make
good sense. My machines are a little more modest (I've owned
a number of ancient SCSI cards, but never a standalone RAID card).
I still have a 2906 running a SCSI scanner, but for the most
part, all my SCSI stuff is covered in dust now. All those
$100 cables and so on, all dusty. Yikes, I hate obsolete tech.

Paul

Re: WinPE or WinRE for Rescue Media?

<2j23shhtmgu2kva4p3r4gcfn8gg7dufm4b@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=70494&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#70494

From: croy@spam.invalid.net (croy)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2023 08:46:00 -0800
 by: croy - Fri, 13 Jan 2023 16:46 UTC

On Fri, 13 Jan 2023 00:03:31 -0500, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>I'm sure they have fixed it by now.

Does that really mean that you're *guessing* that they have fixed it?

--
croy

Re: WinPE or WinRE for Rescue Media?

<tpsovd$1nu1k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=70499&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#70499

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2023 18:20:12 -0500
 by: Paul - Fri, 13 Jan 2023 23:20 UTC

On 1/13/2023 11:46 AM, croy wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jan 2023 00:03:31 -0500, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
>

>> I'm sure they have fixed it by now.
>
> Does that really mean that you're *guessing* that they have fixed it?

I sampled this, soon after the feature came out to use WinRE.

For them, it would be a matter of setting up test cases. If they
just tested with the simplest of setups, it might have worked.
But at the time, I had two disk drives in the computer at that
moment.

What I objected to at the time, was the WinPE method allows a bit
more user control (telling it what version of materials to use),
and the materials were then fetched via download. Whereas the
WinRE path, relied too much on "cleverness", and the code just
wasn't clever enough. WinPE is like "Driver Assist" and WinRE
is like "Full Self Driving" :-)

Paul

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: WinPE or WinRE for Rescue Media?