As of next Thursday, UNIX will be flushed in favor of TOPS-10. Please update your programs.

computers / comp.sys.raspberry-pi / Re: 5v Fan on 3v line

SubjectAuthor
* Re: 5v Fan on 3v lineGrant Weasner
+* Re: 5v Fan on 3v lineThe Natural Philosopher
|+- Re: 5v Fan on 3v lineAhem A Rivet's Shot
|`- Re: 5v Fan on 3v lineAndrew Smallshaw
`* Re: 5v Fan on 3v lineRobert Riches
 `* Re: 5v Fan on 3v lineAhem A Rivet's Shot
  `* Re: 5v Fan on 3v lineThe Natural Philosopher
   `- Re: 5v Fan on 3v lineAhem A Rivet's Shot

1
Re: 5v Fan on 3v line

<983038444@f317.n229.z1.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7042&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#7042

From: nospam.Grant.Weasner@f317.n229.z1.fidonet.org (Grant Weasner)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Subject: Re: 5v Fan on 3v line
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 03:02:59 +1300
 by: Grant Weasner - Thu, 24 Aug 2023 14:02 UTC

-=> The Natural Philosopher wrote to bbsing <=-

TNP> On 23/08/2023 13:02, Grant Weasner wrote:
> -=> Charlie Gibbs wrote to The Natural Philosopher <=-
>
> CG> On 2023-08-23, The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
> > On 22/08/2023 15:16, Jan Panteltje wrote:
> >
> >> I had a noisy 5 V fan in the Pi4 4 GB, I took the fan apart,
> >> took the rotor out and greased the shaft with some vaseline.
> >> That was about 2 years ago.
> >> It has been quiet ever since, works perfectly, 24/7.
> >
> > you shouldn't use grease on small electric motors.
> > Light sewing machine oil is best.
>
> CG> Yup. I've revived a lot of fans with a few drops of 3-in-1 oil.
>
> Yeah don't use grease ... grease was just a poor word choice, 3-in-1 oil is
> what I used, but not always easy to get, depending where you live.
>

TNP> '3 in 1' is one brand, 'sewing machine oil' is another good term to
TNP> search for. or 'light machine oil'. That last got me the most results
TNP> on Amazon.

TNP> The sort of stuff model train people use.

I didn't know '3 in 1' was a brand. So next time I need something good, I'll
know how to better search for it online.

Thanks The Natural Philosopher

___ MultiMail/Linux v0.49

Re: 5v Fan on 3v line

<uc9md6$3u832$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7044&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#7044

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 08:48:53 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 07:48 UTC

On 24/08/2023 15:02, Grant Weasner wrote:
> -=> The Natural Philosopher wrote to bbsing <=-
>
> TNP> On 23/08/2023 13:02, Grant Weasner wrote:
> > -=> Charlie Gibbs wrote to The Natural Philosopher <=-

> > > you shouldn't use grease on small electric motors.
> > > Light sewing machine oil is best.
> >
> > CG> Yup. I've revived a lot of fans with a few drops of 3-in-1 oil.
> >
> > Yeah don't use grease ... grease was just a poor word choice, 3-in-1 oil is
> > what I used, but not always easy to get, depending where you live.
> >

> TNP> '3 in 1' is one brand, 'sewing machine oil' is another good term to
> TNP> search for. or 'light machine oil'. That last got me the most results
> TNP> on Amazon.
>
> TNP> The sort of stuff model train people use.
>
> I didn't know '3 in 1' was a brand. So next time I need something good, I'll
> know how to better search for it online.
>
> Thanks The Natural Philosopher

I have 3 in one in my model cupboard. Its OK for quite big motors, but
from memory sewing machine oil is better for smaller stuff.

I think the model train and slot car racing people use something lighter
than 3 in 1

As do clock and watch repair people.

It seems that 5V fans are typically 300mA or less.

On 3v Id expect them to be around 150mA. That is not a huge amount to
load a 3V supply with.

They are also incredibly cheap - $4 or less. Oil to fix a flagging bad
one is probably more expensive

--
“it should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and

Vaclav Klaus

Re: 5v Fan on 3v line

<20230825162823.858c769ae9bacf5d5fbfbe00@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7046&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#7046

From: steveo@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 16:28:23 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 15:28 UTC

On Fri, 25 Aug 2023 08:48:53 +0100
The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> As do clock and watch repair people.

They generally use a really nice synthetic oil that's certain not
to damage brass.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: 5v Fan on 3v line

<slrnuei3l3.8jl.andrews@sdf.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7049&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#7049

From: andrews@sdf.org (Andrew Smallshaw)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 20:27:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andrew Smallshaw - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 20:27 UTC

On 2023-08-25, The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> It seems that 5V fans are typically 300mA or less.
>
> On 3v Id expect them to be around 150mA. That is not a huge amount to
> load a 3V supply with.

I've only actually taken measurements a couple of times previously
but in my experience BLDC fans work to a first approximation as a
constant current sink. E.g. if a fan draws 200mA at 12V it'll draw
near as dammit 200mA on 5, 6, or 7V.

> They are also incredibly cheap - $4 or less. Oil to fix a flagging bad
> one is probably more expensive

Careful though, those cheap fans may work out very expensive
especially when the hassle as well as expense of premature further
replacement is factored in. It generally pays to get something
mid-market (or nearer the premium end of the computer market) with
a longer expected service life otherwise you are just replacing
junk with junk.

On the other hand, you'd probably find it difficult to justify true
premium replacements - e.g. you could easily multiply that budget
by ten for certain Papst ranges. Great fans sure, but several tens
of dollars each probably isn't a justifed investment.

--
Andrew Smallshaw
andrews@sdf.org

Re: 5v Fan on 3v line

<slrnueioub.tr3.spamtrap42@one.localnet>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7054&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#7054

From: spamtrap42@jacob21819.net (Robert Riches)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: 26 Aug 2023 02:30:35 GMT
 by: Robert Riches - Sat, 26 Aug 2023 02:30 UTC

On 2023-08-24, Grant Weasner <nospam.Grant.Weasner@f317.n229.z1.fidonet.org> wrote:
> -=> The Natural Philosopher wrote to bbsing <=-
>
> TNP> On 23/08/2023 13:02, Grant Weasner wrote:
> > -=> Charlie Gibbs wrote to The Natural Philosopher <=-

> > > you shouldn't use grease on small electric motors.
> > > Light sewing machine oil is best.
> >
> > CG> Yup. I've revived a lot of fans with a few drops of 3-in-1 oil.
> >
> > Yeah don't use grease ... grease was just a poor word choice, 3-in-1 oil is
> > what I used, but not always easy to get, depending where you live.
> >

> TNP> '3 in 1' is one brand, 'sewing machine oil' is another good term to
> TNP> search for. or 'light machine oil'. That last got me the most results
> TNP> on Amazon.
>
> TNP> The sort of stuff model train people use.
>
> I didn't know '3 in 1' was a brand. So next time I need something good, I'll
> know how to better search for it online.
>
> Thanks The Natural Philosopher
>

> ___ MultiMail/Linux v0.49

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=3-in-1+oil&hps=1&start=1&ia=web

It has been a brand in the US for at least 55-60 years. I have a
metal can of it in my box of misc. hobby chemicals (glues, oils,
etc.) that I think my father had when I was in grade school. The
paint is all worn out, but the oil seems to have maintained at
least a decent character.

HTH

--
Robert Riches
spamtrap42@jacob21819.net

Re: 5v Fan on 3v line

<20230826074934.17fe02b7e2cf83e6ea6b5e4b@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7056&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#7056

From: steveo@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2023 07:49:34 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Sat, 26 Aug 2023 06:49 UTC

On 26 Aug 2023 02:30:35 GMT
Robert Riches <spamtrap42@jacob21819.net> wrote:

3-in-1

> It has been a brand in the US for at least 55-60 years.

Also in the UK.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/
Host: Beautiful Theory meet Inconvenient Fact
Obit: Beautiful Theory died today of factual inconsistency

Re: 5v Fan on 3v line

<uccfkf$gv0n$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7058&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#7058

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2023 10:11:43 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 26 Aug 2023 09:11 UTC

On 26/08/2023 07:49, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On 26 Aug 2023 02:30:35 GMT
> Robert Riches <spamtrap42@jacob21819.net> wrote:
>
> 3-in-1
>
>> It has been a brand in the US for at least 55-60 years.
>
> Also in the UK.

"3-in-One Oil is a general-purpose lubricating oil sold for household
and do-it-yourself use. It was originally formulated in 1894 for use on
bicycles, and remains a popular lubricant for their chains. Its name,
given by inventor George W. Cole of New Jersey in 1894, reflects the
product's triple ability to "clean, lubricate and protect".

The product changed ownership many times throughout the 20th century and
was bought by its current owners, the WD-40 Company, in 1995."

--
“Some people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of
a car with the cramped public exposure of

Dennis Miller

Re: 5v Fan on 3v line

<20230826104445.0119605d67a8479a43090b38@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7060&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#7060

From: steveo@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2023 10:44:45 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Sat, 26 Aug 2023 09:44 UTC

On Sat, 26 Aug 2023 10:11:43 +0100
The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> It was originally formulated in 1894 for use on
> bicycles, and remains a popular lubricant for their chains.

That's what I used it for mainly - it kept my bikes running smoothly
for a couple of decades.