Most public domain software is free, at least at first glance.

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / Preventing updates

SubjectAuthor
* Preventing updatesThe Real Bev
+- Preventing updatesFrank Miller
+* Preventing updatesNewyana2
|`- Preventing updatesThe Real Bev
`* Preventing updatesMr. Man-wai Chang
 `* Preventing updatesThe Real Bev
  +- Preventing updatesThe Real Bev
  +* Preventing updatesNobody
  |+- Preventing updatesJörg_Lorenz
  |+- Preventing updatesThe Real Bev
  |`* OT Cataract SurgerySailfish
  | +* OT Cataract SurgeryThe Real Bev
  | |+* OT Cataract SurgeryJack Lemmon
  | ||`- OT Cataract SurgeryThe Real Bev
  | |`- OT Cataract SurgerySailfish
  | `* OT Cataract SurgeryFargo
  |  +- OT Cataract SurgeryThe Real Bev
  |  `* OT Cataract SurgerySailfish
  |   `- OT Cataract SurgeryFargo
  `* Preventing updatesMr. Man-wai Chang
   `* Preventing updatesThe Real Bev
    +* Preventing updatesJörg_Lorenz
    |+* Preventing updatesJörg_Lorenz
    ||`* Preventing updatesThe Real Bev
    || `* Preventing updatesJörg_Lorenz
    ||  `* Preventing updatesThe Real Bev
    ||   +- Preventing updatesJörg_Lorenz
    ||   `- Preventing updatesNewyana2
    |`* Preventing updatesThe Real Bev
    | `* Preventing updatesJörg_Lorenz
    |  `* Preventing updatesBig Al
    |   `* Preventing updatesThe Real Bev
    |    `* Preventing updatesThe Real Bev
    |     `* Preventing updatesBig Al
    |      `* Preventing updatesThe Real Bev
    |       `* Preventing updatesBig Al
    |        `- Preventing updatesBig Al
    `- Preventing updatesNewyana2

Pages:12
Preventing updates

<u9vftq$25qbb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=699&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#699

From: bashley101@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: Preventing updates
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 21:24:23 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Fri, 28 Jul 2023 04:24 UTC

I got sick of losing stuff with each update so I stopped at version 82.
I did SOMETHING (per somebody's instruction) that convinced Mozilla that
I was using a locked-down version and which adds the following to the
info screen: "Updates disabled by your system administrator." Does
anybody remember what that magic trick might have been?

My son just made his firefox installation subdirectory read-only. Quick
and dirty.

I run nightlies too as a test. Weird stuff happens sometimes, but for
the most part no pain.

--
Cheers, Bev
Save the whales for dessert

Re: Preventing updates

<64C35077.7010501@backwurst.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=700&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#700

From: miller@posteo.ee (Frank Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: Re: Preventing updates
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2023 07:21:59 +0200
 by: Frank Miller - Fri, 28 Jul 2023 05:21 UTC

The Real Bev wrote:
> I got sick of losing stuff with each update so I stopped at version 82.
> I did SOMETHING (per somebody's instruction) that convinced Mozilla that
> I was using a locked-down version and which adds the following to the
> info screen: "Updates disabled by your system administrator." Does
> anybody remember what that magic trick might have been?

The magic word is "policies":
Windows:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/customizing-firefox-using-group-policy-windows#
Linux and MacOS:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/customizing-firefox-using-policiesjson#

Re: Preventing updates

<ua09dj$11jss$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=701&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#701

From: Newyana2@invalid.nospam (Newyana2)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2023 07:39:08 -0400
 by: Newyana2 - Fri, 28 Jul 2023 11:39 UTC

"The Real Bev" <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote

| I was using a locked-down version and which adds the following to the
| info screen: "Updates disabled by your system administrator." Does
| anybody remember what that magic trick might have been?

Since about v. 60 they've been trying to become corporate-
friendly and "user"-abusive. Various settings can only be set
by putting some clunky JSON text into a text file named
policies.json. That file then goes into a folder, in the program
folder, named "distribution". The trick is that a normal user
is not allowed to put that folder into the program folder. Many
of the prefs settings still exist. They just no longer do anything!

Here's a sample of one of my policies.json. You can see the
format. Each entry requires a comma, except the last:

{"policies": {
"DisableAppUpdate": true,
"DisableFirefoxStudies": true,
"DisableSystemAddonUpdate": true,
"DisableTelemetry": true
}
}

To only affect updates:

{"policies": {
"DisableAppUpdate": true
}
}

Even the URL for the explanation keeps changing:

https://mozilla.github.io/policy-templates/ (current)

https://github.com/mozilla/policy-templates/releases (overall)

Re: Preventing updates

<ua0kcd$292b1$1@toylet.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=702&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#702

From: toylet.toylet@gmail.com (Mr. Man-wai Chang)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2023 22:46:26 +0800
 by: Mr. Man-wai Chang - Fri, 28 Jul 2023 14:46 UTC

On 7/28/2023 12:24 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> I got sick of losing stuff with each update so I stopped at version 82.
> I did SOMETHING (per somebody's instruction) that convinced Mozilla that
> I was using a locked-down version and which adds the following to the
> info screen: "Updates disabled by your system administrator." Does
> anybody remember what that magic trick might have been?
>
> My son just made his firefox installation subdirectory read-only. Quick
> and dirty.
>
> I run nightlies too as a test. Weird stuff happens sometimes, but for
> the most part no pain.

Never been confronted by these problems.

But then, I don't go to weird websites and watch strange videoes. :)

Re: Preventing updates

<ua1b0l$2b5ib$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=704&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#704

From: bashley101@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2023 14:12:53 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Fri, 28 Jul 2023 21:12 UTC

On 7/28/23 7:46 AM, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
> On 7/28/2023 12:24 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>> I got sick of losing stuff with each update so I stopped at version 82.
>> I did SOMETHING (per somebody's instruction) that convinced Mozilla that
>> I was using a locked-down version and which adds the following to the
>> info screen: "Updates disabled by your system administrator." Does
>> anybody remember what that magic trick might have been?
>>
>> My son just made his firefox installation subdirectory read-only. Quick
>> and dirty.
>>
>> I run nightlies too as a test. Weird stuff happens sometimes, but for
>> the most part no pain.
>
> Never been confronted by these problems.
>
> But then, I don't go to weird websites and watch strange videoes. :)

Trying to find a theme that makes toolbar/menu text legible against its
background. If you have normal vision you migh be surprised to find
that this is harder than you might think. I found a couple that I like,
but when I open the Nightly the color combination (black on various
shades of dark green) changes until I disable and re-enable the theme.
Does that with two different acceptable themes.

Minor annoyance, of course, but text is really important for us
astigmatics with the image slightly larger in one eye than the other.
Yes, you're right, god hates me.

--
Cheers, Bev
Linux -- the ultimate freebie!

Re: Preventing updates

<ua1b5o$2b5ib$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=705&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#705

From: bashley101@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2023 14:15:36 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Fri, 28 Jul 2023 21:15 UTC

THANK ALL YOU GENTLEMEN! Exactly right, now I remember...

On 7/28/23 4:39 AM, Newyana2 wrote:
> "The Real Bev" <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote
>
> | I was using a locked-down version and which adds the following to the
> | info screen: "Updates disabled by your system administrator." Does
> | anybody remember what that magic trick might have been?
> |

> Since about v. 60 they've been trying to become corporate-
> friendly and "user"-abusive. Various settings can only be set
> by putting some clunky JSON text into a text file named
> policies.json. That file then goes into a folder, in the program
> folder, named "distribution". The trick is that a normal user
> is not allowed to put that folder into the program folder. Many
> of the prefs settings still exist. They just no longer do anything!
>
> Here's a sample of one of my policies.json. You can see the
> format. Each entry requires a comma, except the last:
>
> {"policies": {
> "DisableAppUpdate": true,
> "DisableFirefoxStudies": true,
> "DisableSystemAddonUpdate": true,
> "DisableTelemetry": true
> }
> }
>
> To only affect updates:
>
> {"policies": {
> "DisableAppUpdate": true
> }
> }
>
> Even the URL for the explanation keeps changing:
>
> https://mozilla.github.io/policy-templates/ (current)
>
> https://github.com/mozilla/policy-templates/releases (overall)

--
Cheers, Bev
Linux -- the ultimate freebie!

Re: Preventing updates

<ua1bcr$2b5ib$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=706&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#706

From: bashley101@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2023 14:19:23 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Fri, 28 Jul 2023 21:19 UTC

On 7/28/23 2:12 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 7/28/23 7:46 AM, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
>> On 7/28/2023 12:24 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>>> I got sick of losing stuff with each update so I stopped at version 82.
>>> I did SOMETHING (per somebody's instruction) that convinced Mozilla that
>>> I was using a locked-down version and which adds the following to the
>>> info screen: "Updates disabled by your system administrator." Does
>>> anybody remember what that magic trick might have been?
>>>
>>> My son just made his firefox installation subdirectory read-only. Quick
>>> and dirty.
>>>
>>> I run nightlies too as a test. Weird stuff happens sometimes, but for
>>> the most part no pain.
>>
>> Never been confronted by these problems.
>>
>> But then, I don't go to weird websites and watch strange videoes. :)
>
> Trying to find a theme that makes toolbar/menu text legible against its
> background. If you have normal vision you migh be surprised to find
> that this is harder than you might think. I found a couple that I like,
> but when I open the Nightly the color combination (black on various
> shades of dark green) changes until I disable and re-enable the theme.
> Does that with two different acceptable themes.

Black on greens is what it changes to from black on colorful pastel, the
chosen theme; I was unclear.

--
Cheers, Bev
Linux -- the ultimate freebie!

Re: Preventing updates

<41k8ci9f9ha2mr6rq5sdubukigk4hgjamr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=708&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#708

From: jock@soccer.com (Nobody)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2023 16:42:17 -0700
 by: Nobody - Fri, 28 Jul 2023 23:42 UTC

On Fri, 28 Jul 2023 14:12:53 -0700, The Real Bev
<bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 7/28/23 7:46 AM, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
>> On 7/28/2023 12:24 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>>> I got sick of losing stuff with each update so I stopped at version 82.

<As they aren't saying in the US right now: Cut.>

>> Never been confronted by these problems.
>>
>> But then, I don't go to weird websites and watch strange videoes. :)
>
>Trying to find a theme that makes toolbar/menu text legible against its
>background. If you have normal vision you might be surprised to find
>that this is harder than you might think.

>Does that with two different acceptable themes.
>
>Minor annoyance, of course, but text is really important for us
>astigmatics.

Totally, Absolutely Off-Topic... but look forward to having to have
cataract surgery... and choose to have toric intraocular lenses
inserted.

Aw... the results (for me) were stupendous.

Re: Preventing updates

<ua27nq$el6l$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=713&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#713

From: hugybear@gmx.ch (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 07:23:06 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 05:23 UTC

Am 29.07.23 um 01:42 schrieb Nobody:
> Totally, Absolutely Off-Topic... but look forward to having to have
> cataract surgery... and choose to have toric intraocular lenses
> inserted.
>
> Aw... the results (for me) were stupendous.

Really OT.
Completely redundant.

--
Alea iacta est

Re: Preventing updates

<ua2a9v$2ia8p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=715&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#715

From: bashley101@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2023 23:06:52 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 06:06 UTC

On 7/28/23 4:42 PM, Nobody wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jul 2023 14:12:53 -0700, The Real Bev
> <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:

> <As they aren't saying in the US right now: Cut.>
>

>>> Never been confronted by these problems.
>>>
>>> But then, I don't go to weird websites and watch strange videoes. :)
>>
>>Trying to find a theme that makes toolbar/menu text legible against its
>>background. If you have normal vision you might be surprised to find
>>that this is harder than you might think.
>
>>Does that with two different acceptable themes.
>>
>>Minor annoyance, of course, but text is really important for us
>>astigmatics.
>
> Totally, Absolutely Off-Topic... but look forward to having to have
> cataract surgery... and choose to have toric intraocular lenses
> inserted.

Cheer up, the moderator is lenient :-)

That's what I did. +$1K/eye. Still bad and getting worse. Apparently
I have weird corneas. NOT going to have lasik, though.

I have to wonder how much was operator error. Would I have been happier
with a different doctor? We'll never know. Hubby chose multifocals --
he was assured that he would still have the super-close (4") focus that
he'd loved for 75 years. He didn't. Apparently this is harder than
rocket science.

> Aw... the results (for me) were stupendous.

Congrats!

A friend had lasik from the original guy in Bogota and she's still
happy. I was clearly intended for another planet.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Windows Freedom Day: a holiday that moves each year, the date of which

OT Cataract Surgery

<ua3l7n$2m8ok$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=724&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#724

From: NIXCAPSsailfish@NIXCAPSunforgettable.com (Sailfish)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: OT Cataract Surgery
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 11:19:35 -0700
 by: Sailfish - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 18:19 UTC

Nobody graced us with on 7/28/2023 4:42 PM:
> On Fri, 28 Jul 2023 14:12:53 -0700, The Real Bev
> <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Minor annoyance, of course, but text is really important for us
>> astigmatics.
>
> Totally, Absolutely Off-Topic... but look forward to having to have
> cataract surgery... and choose to have toric intraocular lenses
> inserted.
>
> Aw... the results (for me) were stupendous.

I put mine off for almost too long, being hospital-averse. The VA
informed me that one eye was early stage glaucoma from over-pressure due
to lack of drainage. I had both eyes cataracts replaced and opted to
have a stint added to help with the drainage. The surgery was a
no-brainer except for having to wait for 30-40 minutes while the drugs
took effect. I've had several checkups since then and my good eye is now
20/20 and while the glaucoma eye has some permanent peripheral loss, the
stint has solved the drainage stoppage.

--
Sailfish
CDC Covid19 Trends: https://www.facebook.com/groups/624208354841034

Re: OT Cataract Surgery

<ua3ubg$2n3mj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=728&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#728

From: bashley101@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: Re: OT Cataract Surgery
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 13:55:12 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 20:55 UTC

On 7/29/23 11:19 AM, Sailfish wrote:
> Nobody graced us with on 7/28/2023 4:42 PM:
>> On Fri, 28 Jul 2023 14:12:53 -0700, The Real Bev
>> <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Minor annoyance, of course, but text is really important for us
>>> astigmatics.
>>
>> Totally, Absolutely Off-Topic... but look forward to having to have
>> cataract surgery... and choose to have toric intraocular lenses
>> inserted.
>>
>> Aw... the results (for me) were stupendous.
>
> I put mine off for almost too long, being hospital-averse.

Not outpatient?

> The VA
> informed me that one eye was early stage glaucoma from over-pressure due
> to lack of drainage. I had both eyes cataracts replaced and opted to
> have a stint added to help with the drainage. The surgery was a
> no-brainer except for having to wait for 30-40 minutes while the drugs
> took effect. I've had several checkups since then and my good eye is now
> 20/20 and while the glaucoma eye has some permanent peripheral loss, the
> stint has solved the drainage stoppage.

My high pressure (my mom had it too) was discovered before any damage
occurred. Drops twice a day, $40/year out-of-pocket. Big deal.

--
Cheers, Bev
"My parents just came back from a planet where the dominant lifeform

Re: OT Cataract Surgery

<047b4b386eb5a76f9ef72d5766435be3@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=729&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#729

From: Fargo@invalid.com
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 23:23:57 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
 by: Fargo@invalid.com - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 21:23 UTC

In article <ua3l7n$2m8ok$2@dont-email.me>
Sailfish <NIXCAPSsailfish@NIXCAPSunforgettable.com> wrote:

> Nobody graced us with on 7/28/2023 4:42 PM:
> > On Fri, 28 Jul 2023 14:12:53 -0700, The Real Bev
> > <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Minor annoyance, of course, but text is really important for us
> >> astigmatics.
> >
> > Totally, Absolutely Off-Topic... but look forward to having to have
> > cataract surgery... and choose to have toric intraocular lenses
> > inserted.
> >
> > Aw... the results (for me) were stupendous.
>
> I put mine off for almost too long, being hospital-averse. The VA
> informed me that one eye was early stage glaucoma from over-pressure due
> to lack of drainage. I had both eyes cataracts replaced and opted to
> have a stint added to help with the drainage. The surgery was a
> no-brainer except for having to wait for 30-40 minutes while the drugs
> took effect. I've had several checkups since then and my good eye is now
> 20/20 and while the glaucoma eye has some permanent peripheral loss, the
> stint has solved the drainage stoppage.
>
> --
> Sailfish
> CDC Covid19 Trends: https://www.facebook.com/groups/624208354841034
> Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://tinyurl.com/z86x3sg

I'm a year from ninety and had the same surgery done about a year ago.

The transformation in my eyesight is amazing. I no longer need glasses
for anything.

I also have macular degeneration for which i have to get a needle with
meds stuck in my eyeball every two months. Oh, yeah, that's fun, too.

Re: OT Cataract Surgery

<ua40iv$g2vd$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=730&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#730

From: invalid@invalid.net (Jack Lemmon)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 22:30:00 +0100
 by: Jack Lemmon - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 21:30 UTC

On 29/07/2023 21:55, The Real Bev wrote:

> My high pressure (my mom had it too) was discovered before any damage
> occurred.� Drops twice a day, $40/year out-of-pocket.� Big deal.

Reduce salt intake in your diet or just don't use at all and your blood
pressure will go away within a week. Try it for a week and report back here. $40/year can then be donated to a charity researching into blood pressure problems.

Re: OT Cataract Surgery

<ua4592$2nnhr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=732&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#732

From: bashley101@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 15:53:20 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 22:53 UTC

On 7/29/23 2:23 PM, Fargo@invalid.com wrote:
> In article <ua3l7n$2m8ok$2@dont-email.me>
> Sailfish <NIXCAPSsailfish@NIXCAPSunforgettable.com> wrote:
>>
>> Nobody graced us with on 7/28/2023 4:42 PM:

>> > Totally, Absolutely Off-Topic... but look forward to having to have
>> > cataract surgery... and choose to have toric intraocular lenses
>> > inserted.
>> >
>> > Aw... the results (for me) were stupendous.
>>
>> I put mine off for almost too long, being hospital-averse. The VA
>> informed me that one eye was early stage glaucoma from over-pressure due
>> to lack of drainage. I had both eyes cataracts replaced and opted to
>> have a stint added to help with the drainage. The surgery was a
>> no-brainer except for having to wait for 30-40 minutes while the drugs
>> took effect. I've had several checkups since then and my good eye is now
>> 20/20 and while the glaucoma eye has some permanent peripheral loss, the
>> stint has solved the drainage stoppage.
>>
>> --
>> Sailfish
>> CDC Covid19 Trends: https://www.facebook.com/groups/624208354841034
>> Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://tinyurl.com/z86x3sg
>
> I'm a year from ninety and had the same surgery done about a year ago.
>
> The transformation in my eyesight is amazing. I no longer need glasses
> for anything.

That's what I hoped for, but even with glasses/contacts (contacts are
better) stuff is weird. Both eyes are in focus, but the image in one is
slightly larger than the image in the other -- which means that
everything is slightly confusing. Especially annoying while driving :-(
I've got a whole year's worth of contacts to burn through, so we'll
see what happens next year.

> I also have macular degeneration for which i have to get a needle with
> meds stuck in my eyeball every two months. Oh, yeah, that's fun, too.

That hurts just thinking about it. Mine is dry, fortunately, and less
bothersome than my mom's. No change for a decade.

--
Cheers, Bev
"To liberals, building a wall across the Mexican border is a

Re: OT Cataract Surgery

<ua45e8$2nnhr$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=733&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#733

From: bashley101@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 15:56:07 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 22:56 UTC

On 7/29/23 2:30 PM, Jack Lemmon wrote:
> On 29/07/2023 21:55, The Real Bev wrote:
>>
>> My high pressure (my mom had it too) was discovered before any damage
>> occurred.  Drops twice a day, $40/year out-of-pocket.  Big deal.
>
> Reduce salt intake in your diet or just don't use at all and your blood
> pressure will go away within a week. Try it for a week and report back here. $40/year can then be donated to a charity researching into blood pressure problems.

My blood pressure is in the 120/70 to 130/80 range and has been all my
life. I have no idea what causes the eyeball pressure, and apparently
neither have the docs. Just got lucky, I guess. Let me tell you about
my mitochondrial deficiency...

--
Cheers, Bev
"To liberals, building a wall across the Mexican border is a
violation of the Voting Rights Act." -- Ann Coulter

Re: OT Cataract Surgery

<ua4scr$2ssad$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=736&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#736

From: NIXCAPSsailfish@NIXCAPSunforgettable.com (Sailfish)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 22:27:55 -0700
 by: Sailfish - Sun, 30 Jul 2023 05:27 UTC

The Real Bev graced us with on 7/29/2023 1:55 PM:
> On 7/29/23 11:19 AM, Sailfish wrote:
>> Nobody graced us with on 7/28/2023 4:42 PM:

>>> Totally, Absolutely Off-Topic... but look forward to having to have
>>> cataract surgery... and choose to have toric intraocular lenses
>>> inserted.
>>>
>>> Aw... the results (for me) were stupendous.
>>
>> I put mine off for almost too long, being hospital-averse.
>
> Not outpatient?

Yes, it was outpatient but still under the being under while the doctor
operated. Probably better stated as physician-averse.

>> The VA
>> informed me that one eye was early stage glaucoma from over-pressure due
>> to lack of drainage. I had both eyes cataracts replaced and opted to
>> have a stint added to help with the drainage. The surgery was a
>> no-brainer except for having to wait for 30-40 minutes while the drugs
>> took effect. I've had several checkups since then and my good eye is now
>> 20/20 and while the glaucoma eye has some permanent peripheral loss, the
>> stint has solved the drainage stoppage.
>
> My high pressure (my mom had it too) was discovered before any damage
> occurred. Drops twice a day, $40/year out-of-pocket. Big deal.

Yeah, before the surgery they had me on the drops and, yes, they worked
well but the doctor recommended cataract surgery for sight deterioration
concerns and suggested that while they could put a stint in the bad lens
to fix the drainage while they were at it.

--
Sailfish
CDC Covid19 Trends: https://www.facebook.com/groups/624208354841034

Re: OT Cataract Surgery

<ua4suo$2std5$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=737&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#737

From: NIXCAPSsailfish@NIXCAPSunforgettable.com (Sailfish)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 22:37:28 -0700
 by: Sailfish - Sun, 30 Jul 2023 05:37 UTC

Fargo@invalid.com graced us with on 7/29/2023 2:23 PM:
> In article <ua3l7n$2m8ok$2@dont-email.me>
> Sailfish <NIXCAPSsailfish@NIXCAPSunforgettable.com> wrote:
>> Nobody graced us with on 7/28/2023 4:42 PM:
>>> Totally, Absolutely Off-Topic... but look forward to having to have
>>> cataract surgery... and choose to have toric intraocular lenses
>>> inserted.
>>>
>>> Aw... the results (for me) were stupendous.
>> I put mine off for almost too long, being hospital-averse. The VA
>> informed me that one eye was early stage glaucoma from over-pressure due
>> to lack of drainage. I had both eyes cataracts replaced and opted to
>> have a stint added to help with the drainage. The surgery was a
>> no-brainer except for having to wait for 30-40 minutes while the drugs
>> took effect. I've had several checkups since then and my good eye is now
>> 20/20 and while the glaucoma eye has some permanent peripheral loss, the
>> stint has solved the drainage stoppage.
>>

> I'm a year from ninety and had the same surgery done about a year ago.
>
> The transformation in my eyesight is amazing. I no longer need glasses
> for anything.
>
> I also have macular degeneration for which i have to get a needle with
> meds stuck in my eyeball every two months. Oh, yeah, that's fun, too.

Awesome! Not the needle in the eye part, No, not that part. but all the
rest. I just turned 3/4 century a couple of days past but close to 90
and still have your faculties is grand. You're part of The Greatest
Generation and lived through a lot of significant ups&downs.
Congradulations!

--
Sailfish
CDC Covid19 Trends: https://www.facebook.com/groups/624208354841034

Re: OT Cataract Surgery

<f6b62ea387e26972046772de45b5b459@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=739&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#739

From: Fargo@invalid.com
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 04:39:31 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
 by: Fargo@invalid.com - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 02:39 UTC

In article <ua4suo$2std5$3@dont-email.me>
Sailfish <NIXCAPSsailfish@NIXCAPSunforgettable.com> wrote:

> Fargo@invalid.com graced us with on 7/29/2023 2:23 PM:
> > In article <ua3l7n$2m8ok$2@dont-email.me>
> > Sailfish <NIXCAPSsailfish@NIXCAPSunforgettable.com> wrote:
> >> Nobody graced us with on 7/28/2023 4:42 PM:

> >> I put mine off for almost too long, being hospital-averse. The VA
> >> informed me that one eye was early stage glaucoma from over-pressure due
> >> to lack of drainage. I had both eyes cataracts replaced and opted to
> >> have a stint added to help with the drainage. The surgery was a
> >> no-brainer except for having to wait for 30-40 minutes while the drugs
> >> took effect. I've had several checkups since then and my good eye is now
> >> 20/20 and while the glaucoma eye has some permanent peripheral loss, the
> >> stint has solved the drainage stoppage.
> >>

> > I'm a year from ninety and had the same surgery done about a year ago.
> >
> > The transformation in my eyesight is amazing. I no longer need glasses
> > for anything.
> >
> > I also have macular degeneration for which i have to get a needle with
> > meds stuck in my eyeball every two months. Oh, yeah, that's fun, too.
> >
> Awesome! Not the needle in the eye part, No, not that part. but all the
> rest. I just turned 3/4 century a couple of days past but close to 90
> and still have your faculties is grand. You're part of The Greatest
> Generation and lived through a lot of significant ups&downs.
> Congradulations!
>
> --
> Sailfish
> CDC Covid19 Trends: https://www.facebook.com/groups/624208354841034
> Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://tinyurl.com/z86x3sg

I think the biggest part of keeping fit is not to screw up any good
genetic inheritance from one's parents with booze, drugs or who knows
what else. As for living through any significant ups and downs, that
mostly fits the generation of my immigrant parents who suffered
through America's Great Depression. I remember one morning when I
had to be about three or four years old and I got up early to share
my Dad's cup or coffee with him. I remember my Mom making his lunch.
It was a rye bread sandwich spread with the grease from the cooking
of our supper from the night before. They couldn't afford anything
else.

I also remember as a teen when we lived near Lincoln Park in Chicago.
That Park spreads along the shore of Lake Michigan throughout almost
the entire city. Parts of that park carries different names as it
progresses Southwards through the city, but it is still part of
Lincoln Park as far as I'm concerned. That park was the salvation for
us teens. We could swim in the lake, or walk through the entire zoo
late at night until 10:00 PM curfew. Never did we fear any danger
nor the monstrous thing totally inhabiting our present world. That
monster of a thing is called Violence. It's a horror we all have to
live with each moment of any day in our post civilized society.
Anyone who thinks they are safe from the present day inbred
psychopaths who constantly roam our modern day streets is kidding
themselves that these violent monsters only attack people who made
the news. Those who believe that will in all probability make the
news themselves one day because of their denial.

Oh, I must mention that once in my late twenties I went to take my
wife and kids for a walk through that same zoo, Lincoln Park Zoo, one
night after dark. I was literally stunned to find it sealed off from
us by a high chain link fence. It seems the psychopathic monsters
were testing their ability to maim and kill in their youth by
attacking the defenseless animals caught sleeping in their outdoor
cages. Projectiles of many types were used it seems. The changing
world, devolving into monstrous violence, had begun in earnest.
Psychopaths begin their art of inducing pain and death while very
young by using their evil against defenseless animals.

Anyway, I guess I digressed from the subject of Frugal Living, but it
does occur to me that Frugal Living could also describe our present
condition as to having to fear for the safety of ourselves and of our
family on a constant minute by minute level every day of our present
lives.

Frugality of Safety, I think, is even worse than any Life of
Frugality in regards of material goods.

Well, I digressed again, but that is what happens when one get old.

Re: Preventing updates

<uabici$3nub6$2@toylet.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=746&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#746

From: toylet.toylet@gmail.com (Mr. Man-wai Chang)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 02:19:50 +0800
 by: Mr. Man-wai Chang - Tue, 1 Aug 2023 18:19 UTC

On 7/29/2023 5:12 AM, The Real Bev wrote:

> Trying to find a theme that makes toolbar/menu text legible against its
> background. If you have normal vision you migh be surprised to find
> that this is harder than you might think. I found a couple that I like,
> but when I open the Nightly the color combination (black on various
> shades of dark green) changes until I disable and re-enable the theme.
> Does that with two different acceptable themes.
>
> Minor annoyance, of course, but text is really important for us
> astigmatics with the image slightly larger in one eye than the other.
> Yes, you're right, god hates me.

Haver you ever tried the "layout.css.devPixelsPerPx" in about:config? It
could alter text size across the whole Firefox.

Re: Preventing updates

<uabtgm$3p466$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=747&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#747

From: bashley101@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2023 14:29:56 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Tue, 1 Aug 2023 21:29 UTC

On 8/1/23 11:19 AM, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
> On 7/29/2023 5:12 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
>>
>> Trying to find a theme that makes toolbar/menu text legible against its
>> background. If you have normal vision you migh be surprised to find
>> that this is harder than you might think. I found a couple that I like,
>> but when I open the Nightly the color combination (black on various
>> shades of dark green) changes until I disable and re-enable the theme.
>> Does that with two different acceptable themes.
>>
>> Minor annoyance, of course, but text is really important for us
>> astigmatics with the image slightly larger in one eye than the other.
>> Yes, you're right, god hates me.
>
> Haver you ever tried the "layout.css.devPixelsPerPx" in about:config? It
> could alter text size across the whole Firefox.

It's set to -1. Changed it to +1 with no change to the menu etc. fonts.
Control+/- changes the size of the 'regular' fonts, but I saw no
change when I rebooted FF.

Thanks anyway!

--
Cheers, Bev
The stone age didn't end for lack of stones.

Re: Preventing updates

<uacnao$krn$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=749&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#749

From: hugybear@gmx.ch (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 06:50:32 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 04:50 UTC

Am 01.08.23 um 23:29 schrieb The Real Bev:
> On 8/1/23 11:19 AM, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
>> On 7/29/2023 5:12 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
>>>
>>> Trying to find a theme that makes toolbar/menu text legible against its
>>> background. If you have normal vision you migh be surprised to find
>>> that this is harder than you might think. I found a couple that I like,
>>> but when I open the Nightly the color combination (black on various
>>> shades of dark green) changes until I disable and re-enable the theme.
>>> Does that with two different acceptable themes.
>>>
>>> Minor annoyance, of course, but text is really important for us
>>> astigmatics with the image slightly larger in one eye than the other.
>>> Yes, you're right, god hates me.
>>
>> Haver you ever tried the "layout.css.devPixelsPerPx" in about:config? It
>> could alter text size across the whole Firefox.
>
> It's set to -1. Changed it to +1 with no change to the menu etc. fonts.
> Control+/- changes the size of the 'regular' fonts, but I saw no
> change when I rebooted FF.

-1 is default value. Do not change to +1 instead use in a first move
+1.5. You will be surprised. You can scale to your taste.

--
Alea iacta est

Re: Preventing updates

<uacnk3$krn$3@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=750&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#750

From: hugybear@gmx.ch (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 06:55:31 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 04:55 UTC

Am 02.08.23 um 06:50 schrieb Jörg Lorenz:
> Am 01.08.23 um 23:29 schrieb The Real Bev:

>>> Haver you ever tried the "layout.css.devPixelsPerPx" in about:config? It
>>> could alter text size across the whole Firefox.
>>
>> It's set to -1. Changed it to +1 with no change to the menu etc. fonts.
>> Control+/- changes the size of the 'regular' fonts, but I saw no
>> change when I rebooted FF.
>
> -1 is default value. Do not change to +1 instead use in a first move
> +1.5. You will be surprised. You can scale to your taste.

BTW: Works also with TB.

In my TB on my Mac mini on a 4K screen with 27"

layout.css.devPixelsPerPx 2.3
--
Alea iacta est

Re: Preventing updates

<uaco62$3v8q6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=751&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#751

From: bashley101@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2023 22:05:04 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 05:05 UTC

On 8/1/23 9:50 PM, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 01.08.23 um 23:29 schrieb The Real Bev:

>>> Haver you ever tried the "layout.css.devPixelsPerPx" in about:config? It
>>> could alter text size across the whole Firefox.
>>
>> It's set to -1. Changed it to +1 with no change to the menu etc. fonts.
>> Control+/- changes the size of the 'regular' fonts, but I saw no
>> change when I rebooted FF.
>
> -1 is default value. Do not change to +1 instead use in a first move
> +1.5. You will be surprised. You can scale to your taste.

Yup, that worked! Dropdown menu fonts didn't change and the font for
the Tree Tab labels got ridiculously large. I can change that, but TT's
options are tricky...

I don't suppose you have a magic word for just making everything bold...
I really wish I wanted to learn enough css etc. to do my own
manipulation, but all I really want it for is stuff like this and I'm
not too proud to beg :-(

--
Cheers, Bev
The volume of a pizza of thickness 'a' and radius 'z'

Re: Preventing updates

<uacpef$m1s$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=752&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#752

From: hugybear@gmx.ch (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 07:26:39 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 05:26 UTC

Am 02.08.23 um 07:05 schrieb The Real Bev:
> I don't suppose you have a magic word for just making everything bold...
> I really wish I wanted to learn enough css etc. to do my own
> manipulation,

No in this respect I can't help you. I never had the need to dive that
far into adjusting a client.

--
Alea iacta est

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / Preventing updates