7 May, 2024: fms is rebuilding. Don't expect much in that section for quite a few days, maybe longer.

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Re: I don't like Thunderbird v115

SubjectAuthor
* I don't like Thunderbird v115pinnerite
`* Re: I don't like Thunderbird v115Dan Purgert
 `* Re: I don't like Thunderbird v115Jeff Layman
  `* Re: I don't like Thunderbird v115pinnerite
   `* Re: I don't like Thunderbird v115Jeff Layman
    +- Re: I don't like Thunderbird v115Big Al
    `* Re: I don't like Thunderbird v115Big Al
     `- Re: I don't like Thunderbird v115Nic

1
I don't like Thunderbird v115

<20231010142033.5e5327e261a0b4e1a8093202@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6925&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6925

From: pinnerite@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: I don't like Thunderbird v115
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 14:20:33 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Tue, 10 Oct 2023 13:20 UTC

Firstly it has b....d up my presentation, overwriting userChrome.css!
Next, opening new messages is fiddly.
I wish I could go back to an earlier version.

--
Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-86-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8
AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU 16Gb Dram 2TB Barracuda

Re: I don't like Thunderbird v115

<slrnuiakk7.lfi.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6926&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6926

From: dan@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: I don't like Thunderbird v115
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 13:31:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Tue, 10 Oct 2023 13:31 UTC

On 2023-10-10, pinnerite wrote:
> Firstly it has b....d up my presentation, overwriting userChrome.css!
> Next, opening new messages is fiddly.
> I wish I could go back to an earlier version.

timeshift, then don't upgrade it? Granted you'll be stuck with whatever
security holes & bugs that happen to be in <115 though.

Or don't use tbird.

--
|_|O|_|

Re: I don't like Thunderbird v115

<ug3luc$161s6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6927&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6927

From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 15:09:16 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Tue, 10 Oct 2023 14:09 UTC

On 10/10/2023 14:31, Dan Purgert wrote:
> On 2023-10-10, pinnerite wrote:
>> Firstly it has b....d up my presentation, overwriting userChrome.css!
>> Next, opening new messages is fiddly.
>> I wish I could go back to an earlier version.
>
> timeshift, then don't upgrade it? Granted you'll be stuck with whatever
> security holes & bugs that happen to be in <115 though.

Thunderbird might well go back to v102 if the OP uses Timeshift, but it
won't work as his profile is in his Home folder and that will have been
changed by 115 to what it uses. Unless he's changed the default setup
for Timeshift, it won't include the Home folder. From what I understand
115's profile is not usable by 102. If he's got a backup for the 102
profile which was in his previous home folder he could restore that. All
he'd lose is what has been added to the 115 profile since he installed it.

> Or don't use tbird.

Betterbird 115 /might/ eventually be a more usable option if he likes TB.

--

Jeff

Re: I don't like Thunderbird v115

<20231010173438.3acd3c7d2ebc7c058a872fb6@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6928&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6928

From: pinnerite@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 17:34:38 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Tue, 10 Oct 2023 16:34 UTC

On Tue, 10 Oct 2023 15:09:16 +0100
Jeff Layman <Jeff@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> On 10/10/2023 14:31, Dan Purgert wrote:
> > On 2023-10-10, pinnerite wrote:
> >> Firstly it has b....d up my presentation, overwriting userChrome.css!
> >> Next, opening new messages is fiddly.
> >> I wish I could go back to an earlier version.
> >
> > timeshift, then don't upgrade it? Granted you'll be stuck with whatever
> > security holes & bugs that happen to be in <115 though.
>
> Thunderbird might well go back to v102 if the OP uses Timeshift, but it
> won't work as his profile is in his Home folder and that will have been
> changed by 115 to what it uses. Unless he's changed the default setup
> for Timeshift, it won't include the Home folder. From what I understand
> 115's profile is not usable by 102. If he's got a backup for the 102
> profile which was in his previous home folder he could restore that. All
> he'd lose is what has been added to the 115 profile since he installed it.
>
> > Or don't use tbird.
>
> Betterbird 115 /might/ eventually be a more usable option if he likes TB.
>
> --
>
> Jeff

I had never heard of betterbird.
Anyway I am trying it. i find its presentation much more user friendly.
Thank you for the tip.

Alan

--
Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-86-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8
AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU 16Gb Dram 2TB Barracuda

Re: I don't like Thunderbird v115

<ug4a6r$1ahsv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6929&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6929

From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 20:55:07 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Tue, 10 Oct 2023 19:55 UTC

On 10/10/2023 17:34, pinnerite wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Oct 2023 15:09:16 +0100
> Jeff Layman <Jeff@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> timeshift, then don't upgrade it? Granted you'll be stuck with whatever
>>> security holes & bugs that happen to be in <115 though.
>>
>> Thunderbird might well go back to v102 if the OP uses Timeshift, but it
>> won't work as his profile is in his Home folder and that will have been
>> changed by 115 to what it uses. Unless he's changed the default setup
>> for Timeshift, it won't include the Home folder. From what I understand
>> 115's profile is not usable by 102. If he's got a backup for the 102
>> profile which was in his previous home folder he could restore that. All
>> he'd lose is what has been added to the 115 profile since he installed it.
>>
>>> Or don't use tbird.
>>
>> Betterbird 115 /might/ eventually be a more usable option if he likes TB.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Jeff
>>

> I had never heard of betterbird.
> Anyway I am trying it. i find its presentation much more user friendly.
> Thank you for the tip.

You're welcome.

Note, though, that Betterbird is based on TB 115, and as the developer
notes, is very much a "work in progress" depending somewhat on the TB
devs sorting out bugs in TB 115.

You could do a lot worse than reading through relevant posts in
alt.comp.software.thunderbird since v115 appeared.

--

Jeff

Re: I don't like Thunderbird v115

<ug4ch6$1b94q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6930&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6930

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 16:34:46 -0400
 by: Big Al - Tue, 10 Oct 2023 20:34 UTC

On 10/10/23 03:55 PM, this is what Jeff Layman wrote:
> On 10/10/2023 17:34, pinnerite wrote:
>> On Tue, 10 Oct 2023 15:09:16 +0100
>> Jeff Layman <Jeff@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> Thunderbird might well go back to v102 if the OP uses Timeshift, but it
>>> won't work as his profile is in his Home folder and that will have been
>>> changed by 115 to what it uses. Unless he's changed the default setup
>>> for Timeshift, it won't include the Home folder. From what I understand
>>> 115's profile is not usable by 102. If he's got a backup for the 102
>>> profile which was in his previous home folder he could restore that. All
>>> he'd lose is what has been added to the 115 profile since he installed it.

>>> Betterbird 115 /might/ eventually be a more usable option if he likes TB.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Jeff
>>>

>> I had never heard of betterbird.
>> Anyway I am trying it. i find its presentation much more user friendly.
>> Thank you for the tip.
>
> You're welcome.
>
> Note, though, that Betterbird is based on TB 115, and as the developer notes, is very much a "work in progress"
> depending somewhat on the TB devs sorting out bugs in TB 115.
>
> You could do a lot worse than reading through relevant posts in alt.comp.software.thunderbird since v115 appeared.

115 does not change your userChrome.css, Nothing can. However a lot of code in css does not work with 115 so it give
you that feeling.
115 does change the profile for sure. I went back because I had a backup. I had to do some messing around with the
tarball you get from Thunderbird, you don't get a deb (that I could find). But I got 102 working again.

After 2 months working on a VM however I've been able to get it usable with new CSS. I've been using it for a week now
and you get used to what they moved around. I've placed a few complaints in bugzilla. The lack of lines drawn between
threads is a known issue and IIRC I saw mention that they were aware and looking into correcting it. If they do that,
it would be 10x better.

I don't think the UI was an improvement, rather I think they found it necessary for them and their ease of programming
to make these changes, not for the user but for them. They can set out the propaganda that it's a better interface but
you can't sell me on that.
--
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon
Al

Re: I don't like Thunderbird v115

<ug4djc$1bpd9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6931&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6931

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 16:53:00 -0400
 by: Big Al - Tue, 10 Oct 2023 20:53 UTC

On 10/10/23 15:55, this is what Jeff Layman wrote:
> On 10/10/2023 17:34, pinnerite wrote:
>> On Tue, 10 Oct 2023 15:09:16 +0100
>> Jeff Layman <Jeff@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> Thunderbird might well go back to v102 if the OP uses Timeshift, but it
>>> won't work as his profile is in his Home folder and that will have been
>>> changed by 115 to what it uses. Unless he's changed the default setup
>>> for Timeshift, it won't include the Home folder. From what I understand
>>> 115's profile is not usable by 102. If he's got a backup for the 102
>>> profile which was in his previous home folder he could restore that. All
>>> he'd lose is what has been added to the 115 profile since he installed it.

>>> Betterbird 115 /might/ eventually be a more usable option if he likes TB.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Jeff
>>>

>> I had never heard of betterbird.
>> Anyway I am trying it. i find its presentation much more user friendly.
>> Thank you for the tip.
>
> You're welcome.
>
> Note, though, that Betterbird is based on TB 115, and as the developer notes, is very much a "work in progress"
> depending somewhat on the TB devs sorting out bugs in TB 115.
>
> You could do a lot worse than reading through relevant posts in alt.comp.software.thunderbird since v115 appeared.

115 does not change your userChrome.css, Nothing can. However a lot of code in css does not work with 115 so it give
you that feeling.
115 does change the profile for sure. I went back because I had a backup. I had to do some messing around with the
tarball you get from Thunderbird, you don't get a deb (that I could find). But I got 102 working again.

After 2 months working on a VM however I've been able to get it usable with new CSS. I've been using it for a week now
and you get used to what they moved around. I've placed a few complaints in bugzilla. The lack of lines drawn between
threads is a known issue and IIRC I saw mention that they were aware and looking into correcting it. If they do that,
it would be 10x better.

I don't think the UI was an improvement, rather I think they found it necessary for them and their ease of programming
to make these changes, not for the user but for them. They can set out the propaganda that it's a better interface but
you can't sell me on that.
--
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 5.6.8
Al

Re: I don't like Thunderbird v115

<XCjVM.29495$0UVe.15153@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6932&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6932

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic@none.net (Nic)
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 17:46:31 -0400
 by: Nic - Tue, 10 Oct 2023 21:46 UTC

On 10/10/23 4:53 PM, Big Al wrote:
> On 10/10/23 15:55, this is what Jeff Layman wrote:
>> On 10/10/2023 17:34, pinnerite wrote:

>>> I had never heard of betterbird.
>>> Anyway I am trying it. i find its presentation much more user friendly.
>>> Thank you for the tip.
>>
>> You're welcome.
>>
>> Note, though, that Betterbird is based on TB 115, and as the
>> developer notes, is very much a "work in progress" depending somewhat
>> on the TB devs sorting out bugs in TB 115.
>>
>> You could do a lot worse than reading through relevant posts in
>> alt.comp.software.thunderbird since v115 appeared.
>>
> 115 does not change your userChrome.css, Nothing can.  However a lot
> of code in css does not work with 115 so it give you that feeling.
> 115 does change the profile for sure.  I went back because I had a
> backup.  I had to do some messing around with the tarball you get from
> Thunderbird, you don't get a deb (that I could find).  But I got 102
> working again.
>
> After 2 months working on a VM however I've been able to get it usable
> with new CSS.  I've been using it for a week now and you get used to
> what they moved around.  I've placed a few complaints in bugzilla.
> The lack of lines drawn between threads is a known issue and IIRC I
> saw mention that they were aware and looking into correcting it.  If
> they do that, it would be 10x better.
>
> I don't think the UI was an improvement, rather I think they found it
> necessary for them and their ease of programming to make these
> changes, not for the user but for them.   They can set out the
> propaganda that it's a better interface but you can't sell me on that.
TB is ok as long as you don't have anything controversial to say in
Usenet, I am convinced that certain keywords make TB crash.