Kiss your keyboard goodbye!

computers / alt.folklore.computers / Forthcoming talk on the EMAS operating system

SubjectAuthor
* Forthcoming talk on the EMAS operating systemBob Eager
+* Re: Forthcoming talk on the EMAS operating systemAndy Burns
|`- Re: Forthcoming talk on the EMAS operating systemBob Eager
`* Re: Forthcoming talk on the EMAS operating systemNuno Silva
 `- Re: Forthcoming talk on the EMAS operating systemBob Eager

1
Forthcoming talk on the EMAS operating system

<jsquevFudimU19@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6917&group=alt.folklore.computers#6917

From: news0009@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Subject: Forthcoming talk on the EMAS operating system
Date: 6 Nov 2022 23:31:43 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Sun, 6 Nov 2022 23:31 UTC

I used to support an operating system called EMAS at the University of
Kent, in the UK, in the 1980s. I did work on various parts of it. It ran
on a not very well known architecture; the ICL 2900 series (with origins
in the Manchester Mu5).

I am giving a hybrid lecture to the Computer Conservation Society at BCS
London on the 17th of November. The title is:

"The Edinburgh Multi Access System (EMAS)"

In summary, the talk will cover the history of EMAS, and then look at
some of the more interesting technical aspects of the system. There may
also be some surprises for a few of you.

Note that this is a hybrid lecture; you can attend in London (places
limited to about 60), or you can attend via Zoom. In both cases, you need
to book. More details here:

https://computerconservationsociety.org/.../20221117.htm

I hope this is of interest; if you do attend in London, I would love to
meet you!

--
Using UNIX since v6 (1975)...

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Re: Forthcoming talk on the EMAS operating system

<jsui58F724dU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6981&group=alt.folklore.computers#6981

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Subject: Re: Forthcoming talk on the EMAS operating system
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2022 08:26:14 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 8 Nov 2022 08:26 UTC

Bob Eager wrote:

> In summary, the talk will cover the history of EMAS, and then look at
> some of the more interesting technical aspects of the system. There may
> also be some surprises for a few of you.
>
> Note that this is a hybrid lecture; you can attend in London (places
> limited to about 60), or you can attend via Zoom.

Will a recording be available afterwards?

Re: Forthcoming talk on the EMAS operating system

<jsujtnFudimU23@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6982&group=alt.folklore.computers#6982

From: news0009@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: 8 Nov 2022 08:56:23 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Tue, 8 Nov 2022 08:56 UTC

On Tue, 08 Nov 2022 08:26:14 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

> Bob Eager wrote:
>
>> In summary, the talk will cover the history of EMAS, and then look at
>> some of the more interesting technical aspects of the system. There may
>> also be some surprises for a few of you.
>>
>> Note that this is a hybrid lecture; you can attend in London (places
>> limited to about 60), or you can attend via Zoom.
>
> Will a recording be available afterwards?

Yes. It may take a little while, although now that Zoom is in use, it's
quite a lot quicker. Details are on the site under 'Lectures'.

--
Using UNIX since v6 (1975)...

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Re: Forthcoming talk on the EMAS operating system

<tkd6e5$3sbdl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6983&group=alt.folklore.computers#6983

From: nunojsilva@invalid.invalid (Nuno Silva)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2022 09:10:29 +0000
 by: Nuno Silva - Tue, 8 Nov 2022 09:10 UTC

On 2022-11-06, Bob Eager wrote:
[...]
> I am giving a hybrid lecture to the Computer Conservation Society at BCS
> London on the 17th of November. The title is:
>
> "The Edinburgh Multi Access System (EMAS)"
[...]
> Note that this is a hybrid lecture; you can attend in London (places
> limited to about 60), or you can attend via Zoom. In both cases, you need
> to book. More details here:
>
> https://computerconservationsociety.org/.../20221117.htm

I suppose "..." should be "lectures/2022-23" - or is my newsreader doing
something with your post?

--
Nuno Silva

Re: Forthcoming talk on the EMAS operating system

<jsuov6FudimU24@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6985&group=alt.folklore.computers#6985

From: news0009@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: 8 Nov 2022 10:22:30 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Tue, 8 Nov 2022 10:22 UTC

On Tue, 08 Nov 2022 09:10:29 +0000, Nuno Silva wrote:

> On 2022-11-06, Bob Eager wrote:
> [...]
>> I am giving a hybrid lecture to the Computer Conservation Society at
>> BCS London on the 17th of November. The title is:
>>
>> "The Edinburgh Multi Access System (EMAS)"
> [...]
>> Note that this is a hybrid lecture; you can attend in London (places
>> limited to about 60), or you can attend via Zoom. In both cases, you
>> need to book. More details here:
>>
>> https://computerconservationsociety.org/.../20221117.htm
>
> I suppose "..." should be "lectures/2022-23" - or is my newsreader doing
> something with your post?

Looks as if something has collapsed that part. It should end with:

"org/lectures/2022-23/20221117.htm"

Or just go here and select Lectures from the laft hand side, then look.