From: McKeister@ipanywhere.com (Heron)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Windows gVIM remove print icon in the header
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 17:41:18 -0500
 by: Heron - Mon, 24 Oct 2022 22:41 UTC

Windows gVIM 8.2 has the following icons in the graphical header.
1. Folder
2. Save
3. Save again
4. Print
5. Undo
6. Redo
7. Cut
etc

What I want to do is REMOVE the "save again" and the "print" gVIM icons,
but mostly the print gVIM icon because it's too close to the save and I
never print from gVIM anyway but I save a lot.

I keep accidentally having to cancel a print which I never want to do.
All I want to do is remove the print icon from the gVIM banner bar.

Can it be done?

Re: Windows gVIM remove print icon in the header

<MPG.3dc0f970d8a9fa9298ffe1@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69134&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69134

From: the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Windows gVIM remove print icon in the header
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 20:35:52 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Tue, 25 Oct 2022 03:35 UTC

On Mon, 24 Oct 2022 17:41:18 -0500, Heron wrote:

> Windows gVIM 8.2 has the following icons in the graphical header.
> 1. Folder
> 2. Save
> 3. Save again
> 4. Print
> 5. Undo
> 6. Redo
> 7. Cut
> etc
>
> What I want to do is REMOVE the "save again" and the "print" gVIM icons,
> but mostly the print gVIM icon because it's too close to the save and I
> never print from gVIM anyway but I save a lot.
>
> I keep accidentally having to cancel a print which I never want to do.
> All I want to do is remove the print icon from the gVIM banner bar.
>
> Can it be done?

You're better advised to post this query in comp.editors. There's a
low-volume but active Vim community there.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Windows gVIM remove print icon in the header

<tj8aqu$1vatr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69137&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69137

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 05:38:39 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 25 Oct 2022 09:38 UTC

On 10/24/2022 6:41 PM, Heron wrote:
> Windows gVIM 8.2 has the following icons in the graphical header.
> 1. Folder
> 2. Save
> 3. Save again
> 4. Print
> 5. Undo
> 6. Redo
> 7. Cut
> etc
>
> What I want to do is REMOVE the "save again" and the "print" gVIM icons, but mostly the print gVIM icon because it's too close to the save and I never print from gVIM anyway but I save a lot.
>
> I keep accidentally having to cancel a print which I never want to do.
> All I want to do is remove the print icon from the gVIM banner bar.
>
> Can it be done?

There does seem to be an intent to allow user editing of the interface.
The devil is in the details.

https://superuser.com/questions/11289/how-do-i-customize-the-gvim-toolbar

Paul

Re: Windows gVIM remove print icon in the header

<tj8vso$j72$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69142&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69142

From: erratic@nomail.afraid.org (FromTheRafters)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 10:38:06 -0500
 by: FromTheRafters - Tue, 25 Oct 2022 15:38 UTC

Paul used his or her keyboard to write :

>> Windows gVIM 8.2 has the following icons in the graphical header.
>> 1. Folder
>> 2. Save
>> 3. Save again
>> 4. Print
>> 5. Undo
>> 6. Redo
>> 7. Cut
>> etc
>>
>> What I want to do is REMOVE the "save again" and the "print" gVIM icons, but mostly the print gVIM icon because it's too close to the save and I never print from gVIM anyway but I save a lot.
>>
>> I keep accidentally having to cancel a print which I never want to do.
>> All I want to do is remove the print icon from the gVIM banner bar.
>>
>> Can it be done?
>
> There does seem to be an intent to allow user editing of the interface.
> The devil is in the details.
>
> https://superuser.com/questions/11289/how-do-i-customize-the-gvim-toolbar

As Paul showed, it's all very simple to set up and rather intuitive (not).
:->

:tmenu ToolBar
--- Menus ---
10 Open
t Open file
20 Save
t Save current file
30 SaveAll
t Save all files
40 Print
t Print
50 Undo
t Undo
60 Redo
t Redo
70 Cut
t Cut to clipboard
80 Copy
t Copy to clipbard
90 Paste
t Paste from Clipboard
100 Replace
t Find /Replace...
110 FindNext
t Find Next
120 FindPrev
t Find Previous
220 LoadSesn
t Choose a session to load
230 RunScript
t Save current session
250 Make
t Choose a Vim Script to run
270 RunCtags
t Make current project (:make)
280 tragJump
t Build tags in current directory tree (!ctags -R .)
300 Help
t Jump to tag under cursor
310 FindHelp
t Search Vim Help

Paul's superuser suggestion is to first install the sourceforge taglist plugin.
https://vim-taglist.sourceforge.net/
https://vim-taglist.sourceforge.net/download.html
https://sourceforge.net/projects/vim-taglist/files/
https://sourceforge.net/projects/vim-taglist/files/latest/download
https://gigenet.dl.sourceforge.net/project/vim-taglist/vim-taglist/4.6/taglist_46.zip
Name: taglist_46.zip
Size: 51455 bytes (50 KiB)
SHA256: 524E2A7001D1CF23449C443293B6E21AA654A1A238A52B6EDCE7F12D0CD98BA1

Or get the gVim taglist plugin from vim.org
https://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=273
https://github.com/yegappan/taglist
https://codeload.github.com/yegappan/taglist/zip/refs/heads/master
https://github.com/yegappan/taglist/archive/refs/heads/master.zip
Name: taglist-master.zip
Size: 64192 bytes (62 KiB)
SHA256: 1A4BD5E7D9584CFF8C8661070EBDEC378D04BC5C55484EBAB086341BCE760F15

Here are the simple instructions I had used long ago & saved to my archives.
1. Download the taglist.zip file
https://github.com/yegappan/taglist/archive/refs/heads/master.zip
2. Unzip the files to the $HOME/.vim or to the $HOME/vimfiles
or to the $VIM/vimfiles directory.
3. After this step, you should have the following two files
(the directory structure should be preserved):
plugin/taglist.vim - main taglist plugin file
doc/taglist.txt - documentation (help) file
Refer to the |add-plugin|, |add-global-plugin| and |runtimepath|
Vim help pages for more details about installing Vim plugins.
4. Change to the $HOME/.vim/doc or to the $HOME/vimfiles/doc
or to the $VIM/vimfiles/doc directory
5. Start Vim and run the ":helptags ." command
(this will process the taglist help file)
Without this step, you cannot jump to the taglist help topics.
6. Check if the ctags utility is present in your PATH.
https://kulkarniamit.github.io/whatwhyhow/howto/use-vim-ctags.html
7. If Ctags is not present in your path, set the Tlist_Ctags_Cmd
variable in the .vimrc file to point to the location of the
ctags utility (do not set it to the ctags directory).
https://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=4377
8. Check if you are running a terminal/console version of Vim
and if the terminal supports changing the window width.
9. If not, then set the 'Tlist_Inc_Winwidth' variable to 0
in the .vimrc file.
10. Restart Vim.

After only those ten simple steps, you can then use ":TlistToggle"
commands to open/close the taglist plugin taglist command window.

Please use the ":help taglist" command to get more information
about using the taglist plugin.

Then to add a menu item and icon you run these two simple commands.
<escape>:tmenu ToolBar.taglist Toggle display of the Taglist
<escape>:amenu ToolBar.taglist :TlistToggle<CR>
As described here.
http://www.ub-filosofie.ro/~solcan/wt/gnu/v/vim-toolbar-icon.html

The salient commands are shown below and in Paul's superuser reference.
<esc>:tmenu 1.190 ToolBar.b2u beta2unicode
<esc>:imenu ToolBar.b2u <Esc>:source ~/.vim/scripts/beta2unicode<CR>

In the first line 1.190 indicates a position on the toolbar.
In ToolBar.b2u "b2u" is the name of the image (without the bmp extension).
The last item on the first line is a short description of the action
associated with the icon (or button, as you want to call it) on the toolbar.

In the second line, ToolBar.b2u follows the same logic as on in the first line.
The last part,
<esc>:source ~/.vim/scripts/beta2unicode.vim
starts with a change of the Vim mode to the command line mode.
The command is to "source" (to interpret and execute) the script.
The VIMHOME here is ~/.vim/.
The folder in the VIMHOME is scripts|
and \verb|beta2unicode.vim is the name of the script
and <cr> is the equivalent of pressing the Enter key

Note while Linux icons should be 18x18px ~/.vim/bitmaps/XPM format files
Windows icons should be 18x18px $HOME/.vim/bitmaps/.BMP format files.

After reviewing all that, I realized belatedly that this does NOT show
how to _remove_ an icon. It's just how to _add_ an icon.

So the op is no better off now after all that work than he was before.

Re: Windows gVIM remove print icon in the header

<tja99b$3dvhs$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69169&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#69169

From: spam@flippers.com (John Robertson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 21:24:33 -0600
 by: John Robertson - Wed, 26 Oct 2022 03:24 UTC

On 2022/10/25 9:38 am, FromTheRafters wrote:

> After reviewing all that, I realized belatedly that this does NOT show
> how to _remove_ an icon. It's just how to _add_ an icon.

The OP should run this command to find the system & user vimrc files.
:version

The system vimrc file will be defined in terms of the $VIM variable.
:echo $VIM

And the user vimrc file will be defined in terms of his $HOME variable.
:echo $HOME

A common Windows example would be the following file specifications.
system vimrc file: "$VIM\vimrc"
user vimrc file: "$HOME\_vimrc"

Adding these to the vim run control file should remove the two icons.
:aunmenu ToolBar.Print
:aunmenu ToolBar.SaveAll
But I haven't tested any of this, so the syntax will be an issue.

More in comp.editors (http://groups.google.com/g/comp.editors).
John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Windows gVIM remove print icon in the header