"Laugh while you can, monkey-boy." -- Dr. Emilio Lizardo

computers / alt.comp.software.seamonkey / JavaScript

SubjectAuthor
* JavaScriptDon Spam's Reckless Son
+* JavaScriptLemuel Johnson
|`* JavaScriptNFN Smith
| `- JavaScriptNuno Silva
+* JavaScript...winston
|`- JavaScriptDon Spam's Reckless Son
+* JavaScriptgerry 666uk
|`- JavaScriptDon Spam's Reckless Son
`- JavaScriptMike Spencer

1
JavaScript

<u7jt5f$25f5a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=682&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#682

From: hyperspace.flyover@vogon.gov.invalid (Don Spam's Reckless Son)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Subject: JavaScript
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2023 14:24:14 +0200
 by: Don Spam's Reck - Thu, 29 Jun 2023 12:24 UTC

Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Scripts
contains "Enable JavaScript for
Browser".

Assuming I want to uncheck that temporarily, do I need to restart
Seamonkey to make it take effect? If I do then I'll need to create a
second profile with JS deactivated.

This is about the site
https://www.schick-handel.de/tech-support/namenschilder-tuersprechanlage-wechseln/
but there are several sites I need to test this way.

Re: JavaScript

<_vknM.151$1ZN4.97@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=683&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#683

Subject: Re: JavaScript
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
From: lem@nono.com (Lemuel Johnson)
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2023 13:59:04 -0500
 by: Lemuel Johnson - Thu, 29 Jun 2023 18:59 UTC

On 6/29/2023 7:24 AM, Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
> Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Scripts
> contains "Enable JavaScript for
> Browser".
>
> Assuming I want to uncheck that temporarily, do I need to restart
> Seamonkey to make it take effect?  If I do then I'll need to create a
> second profile with JS deactivated.
>
> This is about the site
> https://www.schick-handel.de/tech-support/namenschilder-tuersprechanlage-wechseln/
>
> but there are several sites I need to test this way.

Somewhere I came across a browser extension called "Toggle Javascript".
It places a button on the toolbar that disables/enables Javascript with
a single click.
I did a brief unsuccessful search for the source location, maybe you'll
have better luck.

Lem Johnson

Re: JavaScript

<u7knuq$28ch5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=684&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#684

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...winston)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2023 16:01:28 -0400
 by: ...winston - Thu, 29 Jun 2023 20:01 UTC

Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
> Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Scripts
> contains "Enable JavaScript for
> Browser".
>
> Assuming I want to uncheck that temporarily, do I need to restart
> Seamonkey to make it take effect?  If I do then I'll need to create a
> second profile with JS deactivated.
>
> This is about the site
> https://www.schick-handel.de/tech-support/namenschilder-tuersprechanlage-wechseln/
>
> but there are several sites I need to test this way.

For SM current version, have you tested that site with JS enabled?

Afiak, enabling the JS setting(the method you provided) may not work for
certain sites regardless of SM being restarted or not restarted.

i.e. The setting is not a universal enabler allowing a site to be viewed
or even loaded in the SM browser window.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: JavaScript

<u7kp6n$28gqj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=685&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#685

From: hyperspace.flyover@vogon.gov.invalid (Don Spam's Reckless Son)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2023 22:22:46 +0200
 by: Don Spam's Reck - Thu, 29 Jun 2023 20:22 UTC

....winston wrote:
> Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
>> Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Scripts
>> contains "Enable JavaScript for
>> Browser".
>>
>> Assuming I want to uncheck that temporarily, do I need to restart
>> Seamonkey to make it take effect?  If I do then I'll need to create a
>> second profile with JS deactivated.
>>
>> This is about the site
>> https://www.schick-handel.de/tech-support/namenschilder-tuersprechanlage-wechseln/
>>
>> but there are several sites I need to test this way.
>
> For SM current version, have you tested that site with JS enabled?
>
> Afiak, enabling the JS setting(the method you provided) may not work for
> certain sites regardless of SM being restarted or not restarted.
>
> i.e. The setting is not a universal enabler allowing a site to be viewed
> or even loaded in the SM browser window.

I normally have JS enabled but that site simply hangs that way so I
wanted to test it with JS disabled. It simply hung that way as well.
Not important as such, I found what I was looking for somewhere else so
this is a simple question so I can experiment on other, similar, sites.

Re: JavaScript

<u7ma0v$2gusq$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=691&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#691

From: gerry666uk@protonmail.com (gerry 666uk)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 11:15:59 +0100
 by: gerry 666uk - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 10:15 UTC

Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:

> Assuming I want to uncheck that temporarily, do I need to restart
> Seamonkey to make it take effect?  If I do then I'll need to create a
> second profile with JS deactivated.

I don't think you need to restart the browser, but you do need to reload
the page

> This is about the site
> https://www.schick-handel.de/tech-support/namenschilder-tuersprechanlage-wechseln/

it's got errors like
SyntaxError: invalid identity escape in regular expression
so you will see it as if there's no JavaScript.

In this case switching off JavaScript won't make any difference (behind
the scenes it does make a difference, but you can't see it).

You can get the page to appear by selecting "View:Use Style:None"

Re: JavaScript

<u7mqh8$2ink0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=695&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#695

From: worldoff9908@gmail.com (NFN Smith)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 07:57:42 -0700
 by: NFN Smith - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 14:57 UTC

Lemuel Johnson wrote:

>> This is about the site
>> https://www.schick-handel.de/tech-support/namenschilder-tuersprechanlage-wechseln/
>>
>> but there are several sites I need to test this way.
>
> Somewhere I came across a browser extension called "Toggle Javascript".
> It places a button on the toolbar that disables/enables Javascript with
> a single click.
> I did a brief unsuccessful search for the source location, maybe you'll
> have better luck.

NoScript is also an option, where it's easy enough to whitelist
temporarily or permanently.

I checked this particular site, and there are 4 scripting hosts active:
schick-handel.de, googletagmanager.com, sibautomation.com and
consentmanager.net.

When I first arrive at the site with all scripting blocked, I get a
blank display with a spinning circle animation., and the only scripting
host noted as available is schick-handel.de. If I enable that, the
screen repaints itself (no need to restart Seamonkey, and I'm offered
the ability to whitelist the others), but doing so makes no change in
the display.

Although the site in question is using scripting, it appears that the
failure of display is coming from some sort of element that is beyond
the ability of Seamonkey to handle.

I've found enough sites that show this kind of behavior that I've
installed the Open With extension (that is, the newest .XUL version that
can run in Seamonkey). When I see a site that won't render (or that I
know won't render), it's easy enough to right-click on a link or a tab
and then open the URL in another browser.

If you have another browser open, you can also accomplish the same thing
by dragging the tab from Seamonkey into the display of the other browser.

Smith

Re: JavaScript

<u7n6in$2ju8q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=699&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#699

From: hyperspace.flyover@vogon.gov.invalid (Don Spam's Reckless Son)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 20:23:19 +0200
 by: Don Spam's Reck - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 18:23 UTC

gerry 666uk wrote:
> Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
>
>> Assuming I want to uncheck that temporarily, do I need to restart
>> Seamonkey to make it take effect?  If I do then I'll need to create a
>> second profile with JS deactivated.
>
> I don't think you need to restart the browser, but you do need to reload
> the page
>
>> This is about the site
>> https://www.schick-handel.de/tech-support/namenschilder-tuersprechanlage-wechseln/
>

> it's got errors like
> SyntaxError: invalid identity escape in regular expression
> so you will see it as if there's no JavaScript.
>
> In this case switching off JavaScript won't make any difference (behind
> the scenes it does make a difference, but you can't see it).
>
> You can get the page to appear by selecting "View:Use Style:None"

Thank you for that last tip! I'll have to remember that one.

Re: JavaScript

<u7nhj5$2l6us$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=703&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#703

From: nunojsilva@invalid.invalid (Nuno Silva)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 22:31:16 +0100
 by: Nuno Silva - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 21:31 UTC

On 2023-06-30, NFN Smith wrote:

> Lemuel Johnson wrote:
>>>
>>> This is about the site
>>> https://www.schick-handel.de/tech-support/namenschilder-tuersprechanlage-wechseln/
>>>
>>> but there are several sites I need to test this way.
>>
>> Somewhere I came across a browser extension called "Toggle
>> Javascript". It places a button on the toolbar that disables/enables
>> Javascript with a single click.
>> I did a brief unsuccessful search for the source location, maybe
>> you'll have better luck.
>
> NoScript is also an option, where it's easy enough to whitelist
> temporarily or permanently.
>
> I checked this particular site, and there are 4 scripting hosts
> active: schick-handel.de, googletagmanager.com, sibautomation.com and
> consentmanager.net.
>
> When I first arrive at the site with all scripting blocked, I get a
> blank display with a spinning circle animation., and the only
> scripting host noted as available is schick-handel.de. If I enable
> that, the screen repaints itself (no need to restart Seamonkey, and
> I'm offered the ability to whitelist the others), but doing so makes
> no change in the display.
>
> Although the site in question is using scripting, it appears that the
> failure of display is coming from some sort of element that is beyond
> the ability of Seamonkey to handle.
>
> I've found enough sites that show this kind of behavior that I've
> installed the Open With extension (that is, the newest .XUL version
> that can run in Seamonkey). When I see a site that won't render (or
> that I know won't render), it's easy enough to right-click on a link
> or a tab and then open the URL in another browser.
>
> If you have another browser open, you can also accomplish the same
> thing by dragging the tab from Seamonkey into the display of the other
> browser.
>
> Smith

In this page, NoScript's ability to remove <div>s is useful: left-click
in the page area and press Delete.

I guess it's some "progress spinner" "overlay" that's intended to be
removed once javascript has finished loading?

I think I learned about this NoScript feature from a January 2022 post
here by Dirk Fieldhouse,
news://news.neodome.net/srrl12$kik@gioia.aioe.org or
http://al.howardknight.net/?STYPE=msgid&MSGI=%3Csrrl12%24kik%241%40gioia.aioe.org%3E

--
Nuno Silva

Re: JavaScript

<87zg3js2sl.fsf@enoch.nodomain.nowhere>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=780&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#780

From: mds@bogus.nodomain.nowhere (Mike Spencer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: 26 Jul 2023 01:40:58 -0300
Sender: mds@enoch.nodomain.nowhere
 by: Mike Spencer - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 04:40 UTC

Don Spam's Reckless Son <hyperspace.flyover@vogon.gov.invalid> writes:

> Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Scripts
> contains "Enable JavaScript for
> Browser".
>
> Assuming I want to uncheck that temporarily, do I need to restart
> Seamonkey to make it take effect? If I do then I'll need to create a
> second profile with JS deactivated.

I routinely run with js disabled. On a very few sites, I know js is
needed and I want it on. I enable js from the Preferences menu and js
works as expecdted withou a restart. Upon leaving such a site, I
re-disable js in the menu and it stops being loaded/run without a
re-start.

There are some sites whose js apparently isn't understood correctly or
supported by my version of Seamonkey (2.53.10.2) but that's a
different issue.
> This is about the site
> https://www.schick-handel.de/tech-support/namenschilder-tuersprechanlage-wechseln/
> but there are several sites I need to test this way.

That site comes up for me (js disabled) as an empty page with a circle
in the center. Choosing View->Style->None results in the text
appearing readably.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

computers / alt.comp.software.seamonkey / JavaScript