From: Aoli@Aoli.com (Aoli)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Subject: RAM Disk
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 23:22:28 -0700
 by: Aoli - Tue, 1 Jun 2021 06:22 UTC

Win XP Pro on a laptop.

R: says it is a RAM Disk approximately 2G in size, FAT32.

I can write to it, etc.

But where did it come from?

Properties tells me nothing other than size.

It seems to be using my Samsung SSD for its memory.
Strange ! Basically RAM from SSD main drive disk.

Samsung Magician shows no indication of this drive.
It shows the three partitions I set up C: D: E:

Re: RAM Disk

<s94m2s$74n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=679&group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general#679

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Subject: Re: RAM Disk
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2021 03:02:51 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 1 Jun 2021 07:02 UTC

Aoli wrote:
> Win XP Pro on a laptop.
>
> R: says it is a RAM Disk approximately 2G in size, FAT32.
>
> I can write to it, etc.
>
> But where did it come from?
>
> Properties tells me nothing other than size.
>
> It seems to be using my Samsung SSD for its memory.
> Strange ! Basically RAM from SSD main drive disk.
>
> Samsung Magician shows no indication of this drive.
> It shows the three partitions I set up C: D: E:

Is this Samsung Magician "Rapid Mode" ?

That's a read/write cache.

I can't find any information describing what it does
as a Ramdisk.

I would switch off Rapid Mode, if it is currently
enabled, as there are reports of BSODs with it running.

RAMDisks, as software, are available for free from
third parties.

I run the DataRAM RAMDisk on this machine, as
a scratch. The free version (old versions) give
up to 4GB for free. They changes later to giving
away 1GB RAMDisks for free.

I bought a licensed copy of it for the other machine,
as the RAMDisk running there is larger.

And it really isn't that fast, as the software interfaces
represent overhead, and this tends fo cap the
performance.

For example, 4GB/sec Windows, 7.5GB/sec Linux TMPFS.
Part of that can be page table orientation (good
RAMDisks use 1GB page table entries). Whether that's
the only bottleneck, I don't really know.

Paul

Re: RAM Disk

<XnsAD3C6CCE94B27ammammatatiscalineti@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=681&group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general#681

From: ammammata@tiscalinet.it (Ammammata)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2021 08:41:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ammammata - Tue, 1 Jun 2021 08:41 UTC

Il giorno Tue 01 Jun 2021 08:22:28a, *Aoli* ha inviato su
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general il messaggio
news:s94jn7$t7l$1@gioia.aioe.org. Vediamo cosa ha scritto:

> Win XP Pro on a laptop

the last time I used RAM Disk was around 1989-1990, when my 80286, equipped
with a whooping 1 Mb of RAM, gave me this nice tool to be used in the upper
memory, from 640 to 1024 Kbytes.

it was the panacea to the hard disk slowness, a 40 Mbyte model

issues:
- when the system hung, quite common then, the content was lost :)
- whem I turned off the system, sometimes I forgot to save to disk the data
contained in the RAM disk

--