From: pinnerite@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Half a pdf printing
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2022 22:07:55 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 21:07 UTC

No I am not obsessed with pdfs.

during the last year I have received dozens of quotations, invoices etc
from suppliers. (I am renovating an elderly bunalow).

I do most things under Linux and just expect them to print if the preview
looks OK.

However several have either missed the first page or only printed the
header. I usually save the file, read it into gimp and write out a copy.

However I just received a two-page document from my intruder alarm people.
Mint would only print the second page.

This time I asked the firm what they used to generate the document.

They said it was Cash 4 Windows 2020.3.3

I have never heard of it.

I am going to post this to the Win 10 newsgroup as well.

Alan

--
Mint 20.3, kernel 5.4.0-122-generic, Cinnamon 5.2.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of

Re: Half a pdf printing

<tcb60h$7ev$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=67429&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#67429

From: dog@house.gov
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Half a pdf printing
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 12:40:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: dog@house.gov - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 12:40 UTC

>No I am not obsessed with pdfs.
>
>during the last year I have received dozens of quotations, invoices etc
>from suppliers. (I am renovating an elderly bunalow).
>
>I do most things under Linux and just expect them to print if the preview
>looks OK.
>
>However several have either missed the first page or only printed the
>header. I usually save the file, read it into gimp and write out a copy.
>
>However I just received a two-page document from my intruder alarm people.
>Mint would only print the second page.
>
>This time I asked the firm what they used to generate the document.
>
>They said it was Cash 4 Windows 2020.3.3
>
>I have never heard of it.
>
>I am going to post this to the Win 10 newsgroup as well.

I've run into some similar PDF issues. One had some sort of digital
signature on it; it would display fine but not when printing. Printing
first to a file, then printing the new file worked.

A bit of a kludge but you could probably take a screen shot of the PDF
if it displays correctly, trim as needed then print the image. For one-offs
such work-arounds may be good enough.

dogg

Re: Half a pdf printing

<ri6ori-oas.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=67432&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#67432

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 20:21:47 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 18:21 UTC

On 2022-08-01 23:07, pinnerite wrote:
> No I am not obsessed with pdfs.
>
> during the last year I have received dozens of quotations, invoices etc
> from suppliers. (I am renovating an elderly bunalow).
>
> I do most things under Linux and just expect them to print if the preview
> looks OK.
>
> However several have either missed the first page or only printed the
> header. I usually save the file, read it into gimp and write out a copy.
>
> However I just received a two-page document from my intruder alarm people.
> Mint would only print the second page.
>
> This time I asked the firm what they used to generate the document.

You can typically see this in file properties.

> They said it was Cash 4 Windows 2020.3.3
>
> I have never heard of it.
>
> I am going to post this to the Win 10 newsgroup as well.

I have not hit on this particular problem, but a sample file exhibiting
the symptoms would allow investigation. Of course, yours seem to be
invoices, so I can not ask you to publish them.

I wonder if they are forms and use javascript :-?
That would explain the issue. But those usually display incorrectly.

They could have removed the permission to print - absurd, but there is
such a permission on PDF.

Well, try different PDF viewer programs, there are several in Linux.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Half a pdf printing

<20220802194909.280ca591f9ec41761b5f0b80@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=67433&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#67433

From: pinnerite@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 19:49:09 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 18:49 UTC

On Tue, 2 Aug 2022 12:40:49 -0000 (UTC)
dog@house.gov wrote:

> >No I am not obsessed with pdfs.
> >
> >during the last year I have received dozens of quotations, invoices etc
> >from suppliers. (I am renovating an elderly bunalow).
> >
> >I do most things under Linux and just expect them to print if the preview
> >looks OK.
> >
> >However several have either missed the first page or only printed the
> >header. I usually save the file, read it into gimp and write out a copy.
> >
> >However I just received a two-page document from my intruder alarm people.
> >Mint would only print the second page.
> >
> >This time I asked the firm what they used to generate the document.
> >
> >They said it was Cash 4 Windows 2020.3.3
> >
> >I have never heard of it.
> >
> >I am going to post this to the Win 10 newsgroup as well.
>
> I've run into some similar PDF issues. One had some sort of digital
> signature on it; it would display fine but not when printing. Printing
> first to a file, then printing the new file worked.
>
> A bit of a kludge but you could probably take a screen shot of the PDF
> if it displays correctly, trim as needed then print the image. For one-offs
> such work-arounds may be good enough.
>
> dogg

For incoming stuff I will read into gimp and save.
For ancient pdfs I will continue to try to find a compliant reader or
if al else fails, I will use Ilovepdf.

Alan

--
Mint 20.3, kernel 5.4.0-122-generic, Cinnamon 5.2.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of
DRAM.

Re: Half a pdf printing

<tccbsp$1pthc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=67435&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#67435

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 16:27:19 -0700
 by: T - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 23:27 UTC

On 8/1/22 14:07, pinnerite wrote:
> No I am not obsessed with pdfs.
>
> during the last year I have received dozens of quotations, invoices etc
> from suppliers. (I am renovating an elderly bunalow).
>
> I do most things under Linux and just expect them to print if the preview
> looks OK.
>
> However several have either missed the first page or only printed the
> header. I usually save the file, read it into gimp and write out a copy.
>
> However I just received a two-page document from my intruder alarm people.
> Mint would only print the second page.
>
> This time I asked the firm what they used to generate the document.
>
> They said it was Cash 4 Windows 2020.3.3
>
> I have never heard of it.
>
> I am going to post this to the Win 10 newsgroup as well.
>
> Alan

Hi Pinnerite,

I see this all-the-time, especially with PDF
rendering engines inside web browsers. But
sometimes with Acrobat Reader too.

When this happens, I usually install Master PDF
Editor. They have both a Linux and Windows editions:

https://code-industry.net/
https://code-industry.net/downloads/
https://code-industry.net/get-masterpdfeditor/

I also disable the Web Browser's PDF rendering engine
a lot.

You can never have enough PDF viewers. Or web browsers
either (last count, I have nine web browsers installed).
If it does not work in one, use the other.

Tip: when something is giving me a bad time printing,
I will make a screen shot with Xfce4 Screenshot and
open it with EOG (eye of gnome). EOG always prints
well. You can do the same thing with snipping tool
in Windows.

Interesting that you post this over here instead of
comp.os.linux.misc. There are some great guys
over there, but a lot of jerks too.

-T

Re: Half a pdf printing

<20220803220021.e728d31167494723ddd51c6b@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=67455&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#67455

From: pinnerite@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 22:00:21 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 21:00 UTC

On Tue, 2 Aug 2022 16:27:19 -0700
T <T@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> On 8/1/22 14:07, pinnerite wrote:
> > No I am not obsessed with pdfs.
> >
> > during the last year I have received dozens of quotations, invoices etc
> > from suppliers. (I am renovating an elderly bunalow).
> >
> > I do most things under Linux and just expect them to print if the preview
> > looks OK.
> >
> > However several have either missed the first page or only printed the
> > header. I usually save the file, read it into gimp and write out a copy.
> >
> > However I just received a two-page document from my intruder alarm people.
> > Mint would only print the second page.
> >
> > This time I asked the firm what they used to generate the document.
> >
> > They said it was Cash 4 Windows 2020.3.3
> >
> > I have never heard of it.
> >
> > I am going to post this to the Win 10 newsgroup as well.
> >
> > Alan
> >

> Hi Pinnerite,
>
> I see this all-the-time, especially with PDF
> rendering engines inside web browsers. But
> sometimes with Acrobat Reader too.
>
> When this happens, I usually install Master PDF
> Editor. They have both a Linux and Windows editions:
>
> https://code-industry.net/
> https://code-industry.net/downloads/
> https://code-industry.net/get-masterpdfeditor/
>
> I also disable the Web Browser's PDF rendering engine
> a lot.
>
> You can never have enough PDF viewers. Or web browsers
> either (last count, I have nine web browsers installed).
> If it does not work in one, use the other.
>
> Tip: when something is giving me a bad time printing,
> I will make a screen shot with Xfce4 Screenshot and
> open it with EOG (eye of gnome). EOG always prints
> well. You can do the same thing with snipping tool
> in Windows.
>
> Interesting that you post this over here instead of
> comp.os.linux.misc. There are some great guys
> over there, but a lot of jerks too.
>
> -T

Thank you for your message. I will look at comp.os.linux.misc.
and Master pdf editor.

Alan

--
Mint 20.3, kernel 5.4.0-122-generic, Cinnamon 5.2.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of DRAM.

Re: Half a pdf printing

<tcerip$2ggi5$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=67457&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#67457

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 15:07:21 -0700
 by: T - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 22:07 UTC

On 8/3/22 14:00, pinnerite wrote:
> I will look at comp.os.linux.misc.
> and Master pdf editor.

I personally do not care if yo post here, but some
Windows fanboi's will get temperamental.

Lets us know how it turn out!

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Half a pdf printing