Remember, there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. -- Frank Zappa

computers / comp.mail.sendmail / best practice adding DKIM to outgoing email

SubjectAuthor
* best practice adding DKIM to outgoing emailNone
+* Re: best practice adding DKIM to outgoing emailClaus Aßmann
|`- Re: best practice adding DKIM to outgoing emailNone
`- Re: best practice adding DKIM to outgoing emailJ.O. Aho

1
best practice adding DKIM to outgoing email

<trdqjq$c394$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=674&group=comp.mail.sendmail#674

From: hzcnjkx656@tormails.com (None)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.sendmail
Subject: best practice adding DKIM to outgoing email
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2023 14:48:42 +0100
 by: None - Wed, 1 Feb 2023 13:48 UTC

I was wondering what is best practice to enable/add dkim on outgoing
mail. Is it common to have this done with sendmail or maybe prefer a
dedicated milter.
What to do with the private keys, one for each domain. Is it easy to
store this with rest in ldap, or better just on the filesystem.

Re: best practice adding DKIM to outgoing email

<trdsc8$rgg$1@news.misty.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=675&group=comp.mail.sendmail#675

From: INVALID_NO_CC_REMOVE_IF_YOU_DO_NOT_POST_ml+sendmail(-no-copies-please)@esmtp.org (Claus Aßmann)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.sendmail
Subject: Re: best practice adding DKIM to outgoing email
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2023 09:18:48 -0500 (EST)
Sender: <ml+sendmail(-no-copies-please)@esmtp.org>
Originator: ca@x2.esmtp.org (Claus Assmann)
 by: Claus Aßmann - Wed, 1 Feb 2023 14:18 UTC

None wrote:

> I was wondering what is best practice to enable/add dkim on outgoing
> mail. Is it common to have this done with sendmail or maybe prefer a

sendmail doesn't do DKIM signing.

> dedicated milter.

hence you need a milter...
Problem: a milter is on the "incoming" side and if you are doing
certain kinds of mail rewriting in sendmail, the DKIM signature
might break...
"Generic" solution for that case:
local mail -> sendmail-with-rewritng ->
sendmail+dkim-signing-milter -> out

--
Note: please read the netiquette before posting. I will almost never
reply to top-postings which include a full copy of the previous

Re: best practice adding DKIM to outgoing email

<k3vaoiF1ne9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=676&group=comp.mail.sendmail#676

From: user@example.net (J.O. Aho)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.sendmail
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2023 15:20:02 +0100
 by: J.O. Aho - Wed, 1 Feb 2023 14:20 UTC

On 01/02/2023 14:48, None wrote:

> I was wondering what is best practice to enable/add dkim on outgoing
> mail. Is it common to have this done with sendmail or maybe prefer a
> dedicated milter.
> What to do with the private keys, one for each domain. Is it easy to
> store this with rest in ldap, or better just on the filesystem.

I used opendkim, connection configured with INPUT_MAIL_FILTER in the mc
file.

There should be some ldap option to build opendkim, not used that myself
so I can't say anything more about it.

Another alternative that gives you loads more is rspamd, this one I have
only used with a postfix setup.

--

//Aho

Re: best practice adding DKIM to outgoing email

<trdteo$cjf4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=677&group=comp.mail.sendmail#677

From: hzcnjkx656@tormails.com (None)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.sendmail
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2023 15:37:11 +0100
 by: None - Wed, 1 Feb 2023 14:37 UTC

> hence you need a milter...
> Problem: a milter is on the "incoming" side and if you are doing
> certain kinds of mail rewriting in sendmail, the DKIM signature
> might break...
> "Generic" solution for that case:
> local mail -> sendmail-with-rewritng ->
> sendmail+dkim-signing-milter -> out

I guess it then also does not make sense to retrieve the private key
from ldap in sendmail and parse it via a macro to the milter?
This would be nice because I could use the already existing ldap
configuration / connection.