From: ahk@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Subject: Quote string overridden in nonflowed reply to flowed text
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 09:25:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 09:25 UTC

I'm using the Prefer Plain Text and Do Not Send Flowed Text features.
The quoting level indicator string is ">" without interstitial whitespace.
Quote Replace String (quote string substitution for viewing, not
composing) has No Value Set.

One of my correspondents sends email as HTML with a plain text
alternative part attachment in flowed text.

If I read the plain text part, I don't see "> ", although I do see it if
I expose headers and look at the unrendered message. Why is it
overriding the unset Quote Replace String?

Weird things happen in reply to his messages.

Replying to the plain text part, the quote string for his text is "> ".
Why is it overriding my choice of quote string given the setting of
Do Not Send Flowed Text?

When he sends me a reply to my message, in the HTML part, he isn't using
a quote level indicator for my quoted text, which means my reply shows
his quote of my text and his reply text at the same quote level. Looking
at the HTML, he's using a blockquote tags to indicate text quoted from
my precursor message to his reply.

I manually fix the quote level in reply. I suppose there's nothing for
alpine to recognize here.

Re: Quote string overridden in nonflowed reply to flowed text

<c02b15fe-da4b-ed42-43da-69c4ffe559e1@example.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=668&group=comp.mail.pine#668

From: nospam@example.net (D)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 12:49:38 +0100
 by: D - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 11:49 UTC

Not a solution but just my experience. I see a lot of different quoting
styles and characters. Sometimes it works and other times it is very
difficult to tell who wrote what.

I suspect that it is the users client which garbles everything. Especially
if the user is using webmail, google, microsoft and so on, since
especially microsoft seems to never follow any standards. =(

Best regards,
Daniel

On Thu, 22 Feb 2024, Adam H. Kerman wrote:

> I'm using the Prefer Plain Text and Do Not Send Flowed Text features.
> The quoting level indicator string is ">" without interstitial whitespace.
> Quote Replace String (quote string substitution for viewing, not
> composing) has No Value Set.
>
> One of my correspondents sends email as HTML with a plain text
> alternative part attachment in flowed text.
>
> If I read the plain text part, I don't see "> ", although I do see it if
> I expose headers and look at the unrendered message. Why is it
> overriding the unset Quote Replace String?
>
> Weird things happen in reply to his messages.
>
> Replying to the plain text part, the quote string for his text is "> ".
> Why is it overriding my choice of quote string given the setting of
> Do Not Send Flowed Text?
>
> When he sends me a reply to my message, in the HTML part, he isn't using
> a quote level indicator for my quoted text, which means my reply shows
> his quote of my text and his reply text at the same quote level. Looking
> at the HTML, he's using a blockquote tags to indicate text quoted from
> my precursor message to his reply.
>
> I manually fix the quote level in reply. I suppose there's nothing for
> alpine to recognize here.

Re: Quote string overridden in nonflowed reply to flowed text

<e2bb0823-f2e8-33dd-654d-0a27cbf98e80@washington.edu>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=670&group=comp.mail.pine#670

From: chappa@washington.edu (Eduardo Chappa)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 09:41:17 -0700
 by: Eduardo Chappa - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 16:41 UTC

On Thu, 22 Feb 2024, Adam H. Kerman wrote:

> I'm using the Prefer Plain Text and Do Not Send Flowed Text features.
> The quoting level indicator string is ">" without interstitial whitespace.
> Quote Replace String (quote string substitution for viewing, not
> composing) has No Value Set.
> [...]

Thank you for the report. Would you mind sharing a sample message with me?
I do not need a full message, but I need to see the headers and a content
that will reproduce the error. In order to do that, please save an
offending message to a new folder, and as a file edit that folder to
remove any text that you do not want to share with me, then send that
folder/file to my email as an attachment.

Thank you!

--
Eduardo
https://alpineapp.email (web)

Re: Quote string overridden in nonflowed reply to flowed text

<urdf6n$1bh6j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=672&group=comp.mail.pine#672

From: ahk@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 19:14:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 19:14 UTC

Eduardo Chappa <chappa@washington.edu> wrote:
>On Thu, 22 Feb 2024, Adam H. Kerman wrote:

>>I'm using the Prefer Plain Text and Do Not Send Flowed Text features.
>>The quoting level indicator string is ">" without interstitial whitespace.
>>Quote Replace String (quote string substitution for viewing, not
>>composing) has No Value Set.
>>[...]

>Thank you for the report. Would you mind sharing a sample message with me?
>I do not need a full message, but I need to see the headers and a content
>that will reproduce the error. In order to do that, please save an
>offending message to a new folder, and as a file edit that folder to
>remove any text that you do not want to share with me, then send that
>folder/file to my email as an attachment.

Ok. I'll figure it out later today. Thank you