All syllogisms have three parts, therefore this is not a syllogism.

computers / alt.comp.software.seamonkey / Seamonkey Warnings

SubjectAuthor
* Seamonkey WarningsDavid Kennedy
`* Seamonkey WarningsDirk Fieldhouse
 +* Seamonkey WarningsDon Spam's Reckless Son
 |`- Seamonkey WarningsAndy Burns
 +* Seamonkey WarningsDon Spam's Reckless Son
 |`* Seamonkey WarningsGabriele - onenet
 | `* Seamonkey WarningsDon Spam's Reckless Son
 |  +* Seamonkey WarningsDirk Fieldhouse
 |  |`- Seamonkey WarningsDon Spam's Reckless Son
 |  `- Seamonkey WarningsGabriele - onenet
 `* Seamonkey WarningsDavid Kennedy
  `* Seamonkey WarningsDon Spam's Reckless Son
   +* Seamonkey WarningsDavid Kennedy
   |`- Seamonkey WarningsDavid Kennedy
   `- Seamonkey WarningsGabriele - onenet

1
Seamonkey Warnings

<u7h684$1opfa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=670&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#670

From: davidkennedygm@gmail.com (David Kennedy)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Subject: Seamonkey Warnings
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 12:40:52 +0100
 by: David Kennedy - Wed, 28 Jun 2023 11:40 UTC

Seamonkey labels all email from Audible as "Seamonkey thinks this is a scam"

Any thoughts?

I know it's part of Amazon and so definitely a scam but not an email scam.

Re: Seamonkey Warnings

<n2OdnV9wX7iOsQH5nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=672&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#672

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!newsreader4.netcologne.de!news.netcologne.de!peer02.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer01.ams4!peer.am4.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!feeder1.feed.usenet.farm!feed.usenet.farm!tr2.eu1.usenetexpress.com!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr1.iad1.usenetexpress.com!69.80.99.22.MISMATCH!Xl.tags.giganews.com!local-2.nntp.ord.giganews.com!nntp.brightview.co.uk!news.brightview.co.uk.POSTED!not-for-mail
Subject: Re: Seamonkey Warnings
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
From: surname@gmx.net.plusremovethisandtherest.example.com (Dirk Fieldhouse)
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 13:48:18 +0100
 by: Dirk Fieldhouse - Wed, 28 Jun 2023 12:48 UTC

On 28/06/2023 12:40, David Kennedy wrote:
> Seamonkey labels all email from Audible as "Seamonkey thinks this is a
> scam"

Review such a message with View Source to check the actual email address
and content. If you're happy that the message is Not Scam, mark it so to
train the classifier. Repeat as necessary.

/df

--
London
UK

Re: Seamonkey Warnings

<u7hb8r$1p8lj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=673&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#673

From: hyperspace.flyover@vogon.gov.invalid (Don Spam's Reckless Son)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 15:06:35 +0200
 by: Don Spam's Reck - Wed, 28 Jun 2023 13:06 UTC

Dirk Fieldhouse wrote:
> On 28/06/2023 12:40, David Kennedy wrote:
>> Seamonkey labels all email from Audible as "Seamonkey thinks this is a
>> scam"

> Review such a message with View Source to check the actual email address
> and content. If you're happy that the message is Not Scam, mark it so to
> train the classifier. Repeat as necessary.
>
> /df

As far as I remember, the "Scam detection" is not trainable. The Spam
detection obviously *is* trainable.

Having just looked at my downloaded mozilla.support.seamonkey messages,
this opinion is based on a thread from 10 Jan 2006 - 16 Jan 2006.
Various luminaries such as Robert Kaiser and Matt Nordhoff weighed in
with that opinion, the Subject was: "Junk" & "Scam" training.
According to that the coding first appeared in Thunderbird 1.5.

Re: Seamonkey Warnings

<u7hc5k$1pc0t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=674&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#674

From: hyperspace.flyover@vogon.gov.invalid (Don Spam's Reckless Son)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 15:21:56 +0200
 by: Don Spam's Reck - Wed, 28 Jun 2023 13:21 UTC

Dirk Fieldhouse wrote:
> On 28/06/2023 12:40, David Kennedy wrote:
>> Seamonkey labels all email from Audible as "Seamonkey thinks this is a
>> scam"

> Review such a message with View Source to check the actual email address
> and content. If you're happy that the message is Not Scam, mark it so to
> train the classifier. Repeat as necessary.
>
> /df

I have found another thread in mozilla.support.seamonkey, the Subject is
"Request For Email Scam Detection Enhancement" and it was dated 8 Sep
2013 to 10 Sep 2013.
This was a discussion on how it worked (rather short on inside
knowledge) and how to turn it off (go to about:config and toggle
mail.phishing.detection.enabled. There was a post by Paul B Gallagher
in there which suggested that toggling mail.phishing.detection.enabled
was ineffective because it was reset automatically! ymmv.

Re: Seamonkey Warnings

<kg2qkuF4kncU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=675&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#675

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 14:24:50 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 28 Jun 2023 13:24 UTC

Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:

> As far as I remember, the "Scam detection" is not trainable.

Doesn't it depend on searching a scam database (hosted by google perhaps?)

Re: Seamonkey Warnings

<KkcnM.782467$6W22.202423@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=680&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#680

From: infots@onenet.it (Gabriele - onenet)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2023 09:40:58 GMT
 by: Gabriele - onenet - Thu, 29 Jun 2023 09:40 UTC

On 28 Jun 2023 at 15:21:56 CEST, "Don Spam's Reckless Son"
<hyperspace.flyover@vogon.gov.invalid> wrote:

> Dirk Fieldhouse wrote:
>> On 28/06/2023 12:40, David Kennedy wrote:
>>> Seamonkey labels all email from Audible as "Seamonkey thinks this is a
>>> scam"

>> Review such a message with View Source to check the actual email address
>> and content. If you're happy that the message is Not Scam, mark it so to
>> train the classifier. Repeat as necessary.
>>
>> /df
>>

> I have found another thread in mozilla.support.seamonkey, the Subject is
> "Request For Email Scam Detection Enhancement" and it was dated 8 Sep
> 2013 to 10 Sep 2013.
> This was a discussion on how it worked (rather short on inside
> knowledge) and how to turn it off (go to about:config and toggle
> mail.phishing.detection.enabled. There was a post by Paul B Gallagher
> in there which suggested that toggling mail.phishing.detection.enabled
> was ineffective because it was reset automatically! ymmv.

This is really annoying. I receive every day messages from the servers I
managed (on hosters such as NameCheap, SiteGround and others) always from the
same From and Return addresses and they are all marked as scam.
Also some regular newsletters are considered as scam, no matter how many times
I removed the scam tag.

Re: Seamonkey Warnings

<u7jkn6$24eea$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=681&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#681

From: hyperspace.flyover@vogon.gov.invalid (Don Spam's Reckless Son)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2023 12:00:05 +0200
 by: Don Spam's Reck - Thu, 29 Jun 2023 10:00 UTC

Gabriele - onenet wrote:
> On 28 Jun 2023 at 15:21:56 CEST, "Don Spam's Reckless Son"
> <hyperspace.flyover@vogon.gov.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Dirk Fieldhouse wrote:

>>> Review such a message with View Source to check the actual email address
>>> and content. If you're happy that the message is Not Scam, mark it so to
>>> train the classifier. Repeat as necessary.
>>>
>>> /df
>>>

>> I have found another thread in mozilla.support.seamonkey, the Subject is
>> "Request For Email Scam Detection Enhancement" and it was dated 8 Sep
>> 2013 to 10 Sep 2013.
>> This was a discussion on how it worked (rather short on inside
>> knowledge) and how to turn it off (go to about:config and toggle
>> mail.phishing.detection.enabled. There was a post by Paul B Gallagher
>> in there which suggested that toggling mail.phishing.detection.enabled
>> was ineffective because it was reset automatically! ymmv.
>

> This is really annoying. I receive every day messages from the servers I
> managed (on hosters such as NameCheap, SiteGround and others) always from the
> same From and Return addresses and they are all marked as scam.
> Also some regular newsletters are considered as scam, no matter how many times
> I removed the scam tag.

Once I discovered that the flagging is pretty much useless I started
ignoring the message. Yesterday I tried toggling
mail.phishing.detection.enabled in about:config and it has *not* reset
itself. Either I misunderstood the Newsgroup posting from 9½ years ago
or something has changed in the intervening years.
Another was of clearing the flag would be
Edit -> Preferences -> Mail & Newsgroups -> Junk & Suspect Mail ->
Suspect Mail
and then clear "Tell me if the message I'm reading is a suspected email
scam". As I've made clear, I think the whole Scam Detection is pretty
much useless. In the past I've sometimes cast a jaundiced eye on
flagged messages but normally they have either been obvious spam or
obviously not scams.
I rarely run Windows so a Virus Scanner hardly ever gets involved.
Ymmv.

Re: Seamonkey Warnings

<H6ycnWN-epgFpwP5nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=686&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#686

Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
From: surname@gmx.net.plusremovethisandtherest.example.com (Dirk Fieldhouse)
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 03:14:48 +0100
 by: Dirk Fieldhouse - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 02:14 UTC

On 29/06/2023 11:00, Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
> ...>
> Another was of clearing the flag would be
> Edit -> Preferences -> Mail & Newsgroups -> Junk & Suspect Mail ->
> Suspect Mail
> and then clear "Tell me if the message I'm reading is a suspected email
> scam". ...

Actually, I've always had that setting (cleared), which would explain
how I never experienced the problem myself.

/df

--
London
UK

Re: Seamonkey Warnings

<vzwnM.34732$8AKd.32567@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=687&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#687

From: infots@onenet.it (Gabriele - onenet)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 08:42:03 GMT
 by: Gabriele - onenet - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 08:42 UTC

On 29 Jun 2023 at 12:00:05 CEST, "Don Spam's Reckless Son"
<hyperspace.flyover@vogon.gov.invalid> wrote:

> Gabriele - onenet wrote:
>>

>> This is really annoying. I receive every day messages from the servers I
>> managed (on hosters such as NameCheap, SiteGround and others) always from the
>> same From and Return addresses and they are all marked as scam.
>> Also some regular newsletters are considered as scam, no matter how many times
>> I removed the scam tag.
>>

> Once I discovered that the flagging is pretty much useless I started
> ignoring the message. Yesterday I tried toggling
> mail.phishing.detection.enabled in about:config and it has *not* reset
> itself. Either I misunderstood the Newsgroup posting from 9½ years ago
> or something has changed in the intervening years.
> Another was of clearing the flag would be
> Edit -> Preferences -> Mail & Newsgroups -> Junk & Suspect Mail ->
> Suspect Mail
> and then clear "Tell me if the message I'm reading is a suspected email
> scam". As I've made clear, I think the whole Scam Detection is pretty
> much useless. In the past I've sometimes cast a jaundiced eye on
> flagged messages but normally they have either been obvious spam or
> obviously not scams.
> I rarely run Windows so a Virus Scanner hardly ever gets involved.
> Ymmv.

Thank you, I will try if clearing that option works for me!

Re: Seamonkey Warnings

<u7m55g$2ggla$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=688&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#688

From: hyperspace.flyover@vogon.gov.invalid (Don Spam's Reckless Son)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 10:53:04 +0200
 by: Don Spam's Reck - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 08:53 UTC

Dirk Fieldhouse wrote:
> On 29/06/2023 11:00, Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
>> ...>
>> Another was of clearing the flag would be
>> Edit -> Preferences -> Mail & Newsgroups -> Junk & Suspect Mail ->
>> Suspect Mail
>> and then clear "Tell me if the message I'm reading is a suspected email
>> scam". ...
>
> Actually, I've always had that setting (cleared), which would explain
> how I never experienced the problem myself.
>
> /df

You probably decided it was useless years ago, then cleared the setting
and - problem solved - forgot about it. I have a file where I record
which non-standard settings I have, and why I made the change. Yes, I
forgot to update it after clearing this option but the word "scam"
should be sufficient to remind me.

Re: Seamonkey Warnings

<u7m65f$2gjpq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=689&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#689

From: davidkennedygm@gmail.com (David Kennedy)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 10:10:07 +0100
 by: David Kennedy - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 09:10 UTC

On 28/06/2023 13:48, Dirk Fieldhouse wrote:
> On 28/06/2023 12:40, David Kennedy wrote:
>> Seamonkey labels all email from Audible as "Seamonkey thinks this is a
>> scam"

> Review such a message with View Source to check the actual email address
> and content. If you're happy that the message is Not Scam, mark it so to
> train the classifier. Repeat as necessary.
>
> /df

Well, as it comes from Audible and is connected to my account I'm moderately
sure that it's OK. But regardless of what I do the next one is always
similarly marked

Re: Seamonkey Warnings

<u7m9l8$2gt8s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=690&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#690

From: hyperspace.flyover@vogon.gov.invalid (Don Spam's Reckless Son)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 12:09:44 +0200
 by: Don Spam's Reck - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 10:09 UTC

David Kennedy wrote:
> On 28/06/2023 13:48, Dirk Fieldhouse wrote:
>> On 28/06/2023 12:40, David Kennedy wrote:
>>> Seamonkey labels all email from Audible as "Seamonkey thinks this is a
>>> scam"

>> Review such a message with View Source to check the actual email address
>> and content. If you're happy that the message is Not Scam, mark it so to
>> train the classifier. Repeat as necessary.
>>
>> /df
>>
> Well, as it comes from Audible and is connected to my account I'm
> moderately sure that it's OK. But regardless of what I do the next one
> is always similarly marked

To repeat: Scam detection was imported from Thunderbird around the start
of 2006 and has never been trainable.

Re: Seamonkey Warnings

<u7magf$2h0fj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=692&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#692

From: davidkennedygm@gmail.com (David Kennedy)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 11:24:14 +0100
 by: David Kennedy - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 10:24 UTC

On 30/06/2023 11:09, Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
> David Kennedy wrote:

>>> Review such a message with View Source to check the actual email address
>>> and content. If you're happy that the message is Not Scam, mark it so to
>>> train the classifier. Repeat as necessary.
>>>
>>> /df
>>>
>> Well, as it comes from Audible and is connected to my account I'm moderately
>> sure that it's OK. But regardless of what I do the next one is always
>> similarly marked
>
> To repeat: Scam detection was imported from Thunderbird around the start of
> 2006 and has never been trainable.

A useful tool then...

Re: Seamonkey Warnings

<u7mgb7$2hkrg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=693&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#693

From: davidkennedygm@gmail.com (David Kennedy)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 13:03:50 +0100
 by: David Kennedy - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 12:03 UTC

On 30/06/2023 11:24, David Kennedy wrote:
> On 30/06/2023 11:09, Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
>> David Kennedy wrote:

>>> Well, as it comes from Audible and is connected to my account I'm
>>> moderately sure that it's OK. But regardless of what I do the next one is
>>> always similarly marked
>>
>> To repeat: Scam detection was imported from Thunderbird around the start of
>> 2006 and has never been trainable.
>
> A useful tool then...
I suspect the only solution would be to disable it

Re: Seamonkey Warnings

<qZInM.5987$mq28.4337@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=704&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#704

From: infots@onenet.it (Gabriele - onenet)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 22:48:54 GMT
 by: Gabriele - onenet - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 22:48 UTC

On 30 Jun 2023 at 12:09:44 CEST, "Don Spam's Reckless Son"
<hyperspace.flyover@vogon.gov.invalid> wrote:

> David Kennedy wrote:

>>> Review such a message with View Source to check the actual email address
>>> and content. If you're happy that the message is Not Scam, mark it so to
>>> train the classifier. Repeat as necessary.
>>>
>>> /df
>>>
>> Well, as it comes from Audible and is connected to my account I'm
>> moderately sure that it's OK. But regardless of what I do the next one
>> is always similarly marked
>
> To repeat: Scam detection was imported from Thunderbird around the start
> of 2006 and has never been trainable.

I have disabled it and it's much better now without all the wrong alerts.