From: craig@finseth.com (Craig A Finseth)
Newsgroups: comp.editors,comp.emacs,alt.religion.emacs,alt.answers,comp.answers,news.answers
Subject: Emacs implementations, list of, regular post [long, FAQ]
Expires:
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 21:12:31 +0000
 by: Craig A Finseth - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 21:12 UTC

Last-Modified: 2023-10-12
Posting-Frequency: bi-monthly
Copyright: 1990-9, 2000-23 by Craig A. Finseth
Archive-name: emacs-implementations
Disclaimer: Approval for *.answers is based on form, not content.

Emacs Implementations

Document id

Emacs Implementations and Literature
ftp://ftp.finseth.com/users/emacs
http://www.finseth.com/emacs.html

Last posted 2023-10-12
reposted about every 2 months

Contact:

Craig A. Finseth <craigfinseth@gmail.com> <craigafinseth@alum.mit.edu>
http://www.finseth.com. Please send updates directly to the
author via email.

Note the information regarding "The Craft of Text Editing"!

People interested in this FAQ might also be interested in:

http://www.jwz.org/doc/emacs-timeline.html

and:

http://www.emacswiki.org

Copyright

This FAQ document is Copyright 1990-9,2000-23 by Craig A. Finseth.

It may be reproduced and archived as part of normal network
distribution. Such distribution is assumed to include CD/ROM or other
bulk, unedited distribution.

It may be reproduced for individual or non-commerical use provided
that it is reproduced intact.

It may be reproduced for commercial use provided:

o it is reproduced essentially intact including all copyright
notices and acknowledgements,

o the publisher obtains the latest version directly from the
FAQ maintainer (using the above FTP/WWW site is acceptable),

o the publisher provides the FAQ maintainer with information
on what collection the copy of the FAQ is in, and how that
collection may be obtained,

o all material modifications (other than formatting) are
clearly marked.

Posted to comp.editors, comp.emacs, alt.religion.emacs, alt.answers,
comp.answers, news.answers

Description

This document provides a partial -- and not comprehensive -- list
of implementations of Emacs-type editors and literature about such
editors. You can help make it more comprehensive by sending me
additional information and/or updates.

This document is also gradually acquiring the role of a repository
of (at least) Emacs-related history. While that subject requires a
book to itself, this document will probably serve until someone
(_not_ me!) writes one.

This document is available via anonymous FTP and WWW. See above
URLs.

To be included in this list:

o A piece of literature should be a book, manual, article, paper,
or something that covers (or mentions) Emacs in particular or
text editing techniques in general. Specifically excluded are
items that are only of interest to non-Emacs users (a book on
"how to use vi") or vendor manuals for Emacs implementations
(as those are implicitly included in the implementations).
Non-vendor (i.e., third party) manuals are included.

o An implementation must either (1) be "advertised" as being an
Emacs-type editor or (2) be extensible and come with an Emacs
command set "mode" already written. Editors that are extensible
but do not come with such a mode (i.e., you have to write it
yourself) are not listed.

The following information is included for each implementation:

The *NAME* line contains the name of the implementation.
Implementations are listed alphabetically by name. Acronym
expansions are listed in ()s. Other acronyms:

TECO TAPE Editor and COrrector
(later: Text Editor and COrrector)
EMACS Editor MACroS

The *LAST* *CHANGED/VERIFIED* line contains the date that the entry was
last changed or an explict "looks ok to me" was received. This
field was added 1994-12-20, so all entries were initialized to that
value.

The *ORIGINAL* *DISTRIBUTION* is the date (or partial date) of the
first release. It is in YYYY-MM-DD format.

The *VERSION* is the latest known version. It is probably out of
date.

The *BASE* *LANGUAGE* is the language that you need a compiler or
interpreter for in order to use the editor. If the software is
distributed as a pre-compiled binary, this should be the language
that the program was written in.

The *IMPLEMENTATION* *LANGUAGE* is the language that the bulk of the
implementation is written in.

The *EXTENSION* *LANGUAGE* is the (often custom or modified) language
that the is used when altering or writing extensions to the
implementation. It is "none" if there is no extension language.

The *SCOPE* is either "command set" or "extensible." In the first
case, the implementation offers a basic Emacs command set; however
the user cannot readily change what the commands do. In the second
case, the user can fully control what all of the commands do.

The *REQUIREMENTS* is a brief characterization of what hardware or
software is required. The purpose of this item is to offer a broad
selection key; not be a comprehensive list. You should consult the
implementation (for free software) or the vendor to find out
whether a specific implementation works in your environment. For
example:

o "UNIX" refers to any version of UNIX(tm) from any vendor.
o "IBM PC" is used to cover MS/DOS, OS/2, and Windows
implementations.

(Starting Dec 1994 the list will support an additional level of
detail for IBM PCs.)

o "DOS" refers to MS/DOS support. May also run under Windows or
OS/2 in some mode. - "Windows" refers to Microsoft Windows support.
o "OS/2" refers to to OS/2 support. - "Windows NT" refers to
Microsoft Windows NT support.

The *ORGANIZATION* is the name of and contact information for the
implementor OR >CURRENT MAINTAINER<.

The *STATUS* is one of

o no longer available: Self-explanatory.
o free: The implementation is available to most people at no
charge. Even such "free" implementations may have restrictions:
consult information about the particular implementation. Where
available, information on how to obtain a copy is also listed.
o not free: The implementation is for sale. Contact the vendor
for specifics.

Many of the names of the implementations in this list are
trademarked. Specific trademarks are not called out.

Full source code is available for all of the free implementations.
Source availability varies among the not free implementations:
check with the vendor before you buy.

Table of Contents

Literature

GNU Emacs and XEmacs: A Better Way to Learn Emacs and Lisp

Title: GNU Emacs and XEmacs: A Better Way to Learn Emacs and Lisp
Author(s): Larry Ayers
Publisher: Prima Publishing
Size: 544pp
ISBN: 0-7615-2446-0
Price: $49.99

_Notes:_ 2001, with CD containing source and images of XEmacs
21.1.14 and 21.4.3, GNU Emacs 20.7 and 21.0, and many add-on
packages. Good coverage of customization and add-on packages.

Learning Gnu Emacs, 3rd Edition

Title: Learning Gnu Emacs, 3rd Edition
Author(s): Debra Cameron, james Elliott, Marc Loy, Eric Raymond, & Bill Rosenblatt
Publisher: O'Reilly and Associates, Inc.
Size: 534pp
ISBN: 0-596-00648-9
Price: $39.95

_Notes:_ Emacs 21.30 and above

The Craft of Text Editing: Emacs for the Modern World

Title: The Craft of Text Editing: Emacs for the Modern World
Author(s): Craig A. Finseth
Publisher: Springer-Verlag
Size: 220pp, 10 chapters, 5 appendices
ISBN: 0-387-97616-7, 3-540-97616-7
Price: $39.95
Japanese language edition: 4-938704-26-9 Y3600 paper

_Notes:_ 1991-10, first edition not version specific. The
Springer-Verlag edition is out of print. The book is available
via the web at:

http://www.finseth.com/craft

and is also available in print form from the author. It has ISBN
978-1-4116-8297-9 (10-digit: 1-4116-8297-1). It is available
from Lulu and from Amazon.com:

http://people.lulu.com/users/index.php?fHomepage=370764
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1411682971

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Emacs implementations, list of, regular post [long, FAQ]

<b475cc31-d9ad-4315-beb0-122fcdc8ac5a@snert.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=68&group=comp.editors#68

From: achowe@snert.com (Anthony Howe)
Newsgroups: comp.editors,comp.emacs,alt.religion.emacs
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 08:02:18 -0400
 by: Anthony Howe - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 12:02 UTC

Its been a long while since this info was updated:

On 2023-10-12 17:12, Craig A Finseth wrote:
> Anthony's Editor
>
> name: ae (Anthony's Editor)
> last changed/verified: 2010-08-30

> original distribution: ?
> version: Feb 92

2.7.1

> base language: C
> implementation language: C
> extension language: none
> scope of implementation: command set
> hardware/software requirements: Unix, IBM PC, Atari ST; requires curses
> organization/author:
> Anthony Howe
> Mortice Kern Systems Inc.
> 35 King St N
> Waterloo Ontario
> Canada N2J 6W9
> ant@mks.com

Anthony C Howe
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
achowe@snert.com

https://github.com/SirWumpus/ioccc-ae

--
Anthony C Howe
achowe@snert.com BarricadeMX & Milters

computers / comp.editors / Emacs implementations, list of, regular post [long, FAQ]