An optimist believes we live in the best world possible; a pessimist fears this is true.

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / Post 115 Read Messages button FU

SubjectAuthor
* Post 115 Read Messages button FUDave
+- Post 115 Read Messages button FUBill H
+* Post 115 Read Messages button FUNobody
|`* Post 115 Read Messages button FUDave
| +* Post 115 Read Messages button FUVanguardLH
| |`- Post 115 Read Messages button FUDave
| +- Post 115 Read Messages button FUNobody
| `* Post 115 Read Messages button FUNobody
|  +* Post 115 Read Messages button FUSerdu
|  |`- Post 115 Read Messages button FUNobody
|  `* Post 115 Read Messages button FUDave
|   +* Post 115 Read Messages button FUDave
|   |`* Post 115 Read Messages button FUDave
|   | +* Post 115 Read Messages button FUSerdu
|   | |`* Post 115 Read Messages button FUAllanH
|   | | `- Post 115 Read Messages button FUSerdu
|   | +- Post 115 Read Messages button FUAllanH
|   | `* Post 115 Read Messages button FUBill H
|   |  `* Post 115 Read Messages button FUDave
|   |   +* Post 115 Read Messages button FUBill H
|   |   |`* Post 115 Read Messages button FUDave
|   |   | `* Post 115 Read Messages button FUBill H
|   |   |  `- Post 115 Read Messages button FUDave
|   |   `* Post 115 Read Messages button FUAllanH
|   |    `- Post 115 Read Messages button FUDave
|   `* Post 115 Read Messages button FUBill H
|    `* Post 115 Read Messages button FUDave
|     `- Post 115 Read Messages button FUWayne
`* Post 115 Read Messages button FUAllanH
 `* Post 115 Read Messages button FUBig Al
  `- Post 115 Read Messages button FUAllanH

Pages:12
Post 115 Read Messages button FU

<5ad9007d02news@triffid.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=663&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#663

From: news@triffid.co.uk (Dave)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Post 115 Read Messages button FU
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 15:50:45 +0100
 by: Dave - Thu, 24 Aug 2023 14:50 UTC

G'day folks,
Sorry to break in on the fun and games here, but I have an actual
Thunderbird related question. ;-)

I have multiple different domain email addresses, each domain has its own
account settings.

Pre TB 115 there was a tool button within each account window that would
"Read Messages" for that domain.

Since TB115 that button does NOT work and I have to use Menubar "File-Get
new messages for" and a list of accounts.
Or use f5.

I want an active "Read Messages" button within each account again.

Please, is this possible with some config I'm missing?

Thanks

Re: Post 115 Read Messages button FU

<uc7t1n$3h5o1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=664&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#664

From: billh@domain.is.invalid (Bill H)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Re: Post 115 Read Messages button FU
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 08:29:59 -0700
 by: Bill H - Thu, 24 Aug 2023 15:29 UTC

On 8/24/2023 at 7:50 AM, Dave wrote:
> G'day folks,
> Sorry to break in on the fun and games here, but I have an actual
> Thunderbird related question. ;-)
>
> I have multiple different domain email addresses, each domain has its own
> account settings.
>
> Pre TB 115 there was a tool button within each account window that would
> "Read Messages" for that domain.
>
> Since TB115 that button does NOT work and I have to use Menubar "File-Get
> new messages for" and a list of accounts.
> Or use f5.
>
> I want an active "Read Messages" button within each account again.
>
> Please, is this possible with some config I'm missing?
>
> Thanks

For me the first item in the right click context menu is Get Messages.
For me it does get the messages. I'm not aware of having to set
anything in the config editor.

Bill

Re: Post 115 Read Messages button FU

<rq2fei9n4aanqmhk3stc75fijdlocm9t07@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=665&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#665

From: jock@soccer.com (Nobody)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 10:07:59 -0700
 by: Nobody - Thu, 24 Aug 2023 17:07 UTC

On Thu, 24 Aug 2023 15:50:45 +0100, Dave <news@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

>G'day folks,
>Sorry to break in on the fun and games here, but I have an actual
>Thunderbird related question. ;-)
>
>I have multiple different domain email addresses, each domain has its own
>account settings.
>
>Pre TB 115 there was a tool button within each account window that would
>"Read Messages" for that domain.
>
>Since TB115 that button does NOT work and I have to use Menubar "File-Get
>new messages for" and a list of accounts.
>Or use f5.
>
>I want an active "Read Messages" button within each account again.

TB 115.1.1... Win 11

If I'm understanding you correctly -- and I have three accounts -- if
I bring an individual *account* into focus by clicking on its name in
the folder pane, the top/first line of the msg pane area is populated
with four items, including *Read messages* as the first (then *Write a
new message*, *Search messages*, and *Manage message filters*).

Left clicking that simply opens the first folder of that account, i.e.
Inbox (which may/may not have been highlighted if there was an unread
msg), but it doesn't *open* any msg. Ditto for testing with the other
two accounts.

Re: Post 115 Read Messages button FU

<5ad91071c9news@triffid.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=666&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#666

From: news@triffid.co.uk (Dave)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 18:45:05 +0100
 by: Dave - Thu, 24 Aug 2023 17:45 UTC

In article <rq2fei9n4aanqmhk3stc75fijdlocm9t07@4ax.com>,
Nobody <jock@soccer.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Aug 2023 15:50:45 +0100, Dave <news@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

> >G'day folks,
> >Sorry to break in on the fun and games here, but I have an actual
> >Thunderbird related question. ;-)
> > I have multiple different domain email addresses, each domain has its
> >own account settings.
> >
> >Pre TB 115 there was a tool button within each account window that
> >would "Read Messages" for that domain.
> >
> >Since TB115 that button does NOT work and I have to use Menubar
> >"File-Get new messages for" and a list of accounts. Or use f5.
> >
> >I want an active "Read Messages" button within each account again.
> >

> TB 115.1.1... Win 11

> If I'm understanding you correctly -- and I have three accounts -- if
> I bring an individual *account* into focus by clicking on its name in
> the folder pane, the top/first line of the msg pane area is populated
> with four items, including *Read messages* as the first (then *Write a
> new message*, *Search messages*, and *Manage message filters*).

> Left clicking that simply opens the first folder of that account, i.e.
> Inbox (which may/may not have been highlighted if there was an unread
> msg), but it doesn't *open* any msg. Ditto for testing with the other
> two accounts.

You are correct in the first paragraph.

Pre 115 clicking on "Read Messages" would connect upline and download the
messages for that account only.

Now it doesn't.

As you note, the same with the other accounts I have.
?

D.

Re: Post 115 Read Messages button FU

<1ank2ferqd0cy$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=667&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#667

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 15:16:20 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 24 Aug 2023 20:16 UTC

Dave <news@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

> Nobody <jock@soccer.com> wrote:

>> Dave <news@triffid.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> I have multiple different domain email addresses, each domain has
>>> its own account settings.
>>>
>>> Pre TB 115 there was a tool button within each account window that
>>> would "Read Messages" for that domain.
>>>
>>> Since TB115 that button does NOT work and I have to use Menubar
>>> "File-Get new messages for" and a list of accounts. Or use f5.
>>>
>>> I want an active "Read Messages" button within each account again.
>>
>> TB 115.1.1... Win 11
>>
>> If I'm understanding you correctly -- and I have three accounts -- if
>> I bring an individual *account* into focus by clicking on its name in
>> the folder pane, the top/first line of the msg pane area is populated
>> with four items, including *Read messages* as the first (then *Write a
>> new message*, *Search messages*, and *Manage message filters*).
>
>> Left clicking that simply opens the first folder of that account, i.e.
>> Inbox (which may/may not have been highlighted if there was an unread
>> msg), but it doesn't *open* any msg. Ditto for testing with the other
>> two accounts.
>
> You are correct in the first paragraph.
>
> Pre 115 clicking on "Read Messages" would connect upline and download
> the messages for that account only.
>
> Now it doesn't.

I'm guessing "Read Messages" retrieves new messages. Have you used the
e-mail provider's webmail client to check your account(s) to see there
are /new/ messages available?

What view are you using on the folder(s)? I've seen someone ask how to
view just the read messages (hide unread messages). Not sure why they
wanted that view (maybe to reduce the list of messages when selecting
them if what you want to select were read messages) but it would hide
new messages retrieved from the server that have not yet been read.

Re: Post 115 Read Messages button FU

<dhcfeipcs6kite0gn8t55qbtb5tjdjus2d@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=668&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#668

From: jock@soccer.com (Nobody)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 13:19:20 -0700
 by: Nobody - Thu, 24 Aug 2023 20:19 UTC

On Thu, 24 Aug 2023 18:45:05 +0100, Dave <news@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <rq2fei9n4aanqmhk3stc75fijdlocm9t07@4ax.com>,
> Nobody <jock@soccer.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 24 Aug 2023 15:50:45 +0100, Dave <news@triffid.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> >G'day folks,
>> >Sorry to break in on the fun and games here, but I have an actual
>> >Thunderbird related question. ;-)
>> > I have multiple different domain email addresses, each domain has its
>> >own account settings.
>> >
>> >Pre TB 115 there was a tool button within each account window that
>> >would "Read Messages" for that domain.
>> >
>> >Since TB115 that button does NOT work and I have to use Menubar
>> >"File-Get new messages for" and a list of accounts. Or use f5.
>> >
>> >I want an active "Read Messages" button within each account again.
>> >

>> TB 115.1.1... Win 11
>
>> If I'm understanding you correctly -- and I have three accounts -- if
>> I bring an individual *account* into focus by clicking on its name in
>> the folder pane, the top/first line of the msg pane area is populated
>> with four items, including *Read messages* as the first (then *Write a
>> new message*, *Search messages*, and *Manage message filters*).
>
>> Left clicking that simply opens the first folder of that account, i.e.
>> Inbox (which may/may not have been highlighted if there was an unread
>> msg), but it doesn't *open* any msg. Ditto for testing with the other
>> two accounts.
>
>You are correct in the first paragraph.
>
>Pre 115 clicking on "Read Messages" would connect upline and download the
>messages for that account only.
>
>Now it doesn't.
>
>As you note, the same with the other accounts I have.
>?
>
>D.

What version did you use before 115? Have you looked at this?

<https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/sending-and-receiving-messages-thunderbird#w_configuring-email-accounts>

The information is customisable by TB version and operating system,
but the instructions refer to *download* and seem to be the same for
v102 and v115.

I see no reference to *Reading* in the v102 instructions, apart from
that "Reading Messages" prompt which opens my Inbox... and from where
I'd actually start to read, although I never start from that account
title page in any case.

To me, it's up to your settings to retrieve mail as you wish. Mine
retrieves immediately on opening and I have it set to check every ten
minutes... or I can hit *Get Messages* in my toolbar, one of only
three commands I have up there.

My TB set-up also opens with whatever folder was in focus last time I
closed it, generally one of the Inboxes.. so new msg's are immediately
retrieved... and um, are ready to be read.

Re: Post 115 Read Messages button FU

<5ad920a5f9news@triffid.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=669&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#669

From: news@triffid.co.uk (Dave)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 21:42:03 +0100
 by: Dave - Thu, 24 Aug 2023 20:42 UTC

In article <1ank2ferqd0cy$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>,
VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
> Dave <news@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

> > Nobody <jock@soccer.com> wrote:

> >> TB 115.1.1... Win 11
> >>
> >> If I'm understanding you correctly -- and I have three accounts -- if
> >> I bring an individual *account* into focus by clicking on its name in
> >> the folder pane, the top/first line of the msg pane area is populated
> >> with four items, including *Read messages* as the first (then *Write a
> >> new message*, *Search messages*, and *Manage message filters*).
> >
> >> Left clicking that simply opens the first folder of that account, i.e.
> >> Inbox (which may/may not have been highlighted if there was an unread
> >> msg), but it doesn't *open* any msg. Ditto for testing with the other
> >> two accounts.
> >
> > You are correct in the first paragraph.
> >
> > Pre 115 clicking on "Read Messages" would connect upline and download
> > the messages for that account only.
> >
> > Now it doesn't.

> I'm guessing "Read Messages" retrieves new messages. Have you used the
> e-mail provider's webmail client to check your account(s) to see there
> are /new/ messages available?

Been there done that, yes there were messages showing on the Webmail
server.
Using either Menubar "File-Get-New messages" and clicking an account name,
or F5 downloads the messages from the server to TB.

So fundamentally there is no problem up/downloading the mail.

Pre 115 clicking the "Read Messages" button in the named account window
used to download the mail for that account. Now it does Not!

> What view are you using on the folder(s)? I've seen someone ask how to
> view just the read messages (hide unread messages). Not sure why they
> wanted that view (maybe to reduce the list of messages when selecting
> them if what you want to select were read messages) but it would hide
> new messages retrieved from the server that have not yet been read.

Interesting thought, but nothing configured like that, all messages read
or unread remain in the account Inbox until I do something with them
manually.

There's nothing complicated about this issue.

Pre 115 that button, mouse left clicked, downloaded emails from that
account server.

Post 115 it does not.

The same failing applies to all the seven account I have configured in TB.

Thanks for the thoughts.

D.

Re: Post 115 Read Messages button FU

<cvufei1q7ukdhr23qgk1892fs40b5j53ij@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=672&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#672

From: jock@soccer.com (Nobody)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 18:00:31 -0700
 by: Nobody - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 01:00 UTC

On Thu, 24 Aug 2023 18:45:05 +0100, Dave <news@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <rq2fei9n4aanqmhk3stc75fijdlocm9t07@4ax.com>,
> Nobody <jock@soccer.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 24 Aug 2023 15:50:45 +0100, Dave <news@triffid.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> >G'day folks,
>> >Sorry to break in on the fun and games here, but I have an actual
>> >Thunderbird related question. ;-)
>> > I have multiple different domain email addresses, each domain has its
>> >own account settings.
>> >
>> >Pre TB 115 there was a tool button within each account window that
>> >would "Read Messages" for that domain.
>> >
>> >Since TB115 that button does NOT work and I have to use Menubar
>> >"File-Get new messages for" and a list of accounts. Or use f5.
>> >
>> >I want an active "Read Messages" button within each account again.
>> >

>> TB 115.1.1... Win 11
>
>> If I'm understanding you correctly -- and I have three accounts -- if
>> I bring an individual *account* into focus by clicking on its name in
>> the folder pane, the top/first line of the msg pane area is populated
>> with four items, including *Read messages* as the first (then *Write a
>> new message*, *Search messages*, and *Manage message filters*).
>
>> Left clicking that simply opens the first folder of that account, i.e.
>> Inbox (which may/may not have been highlighted if there was an unread
>> msg), but it doesn't *open* any msg. Ditto for testing with the other
>> two accounts.
>
>You are correct in the first paragraph.
>
>Pre 115 clicking on "Read Messages" would connect upline and download the
>messages for that account only.
>
>Now it doesn't.
>
>As you note, the same with the other accounts I have.
>?
>
>D.

It occurs to me, why do you go to the Named Account and generate its,
um, introductory page... then push *Read messages*?

Why not just go *Get Messages* on TB's main toolbar.

Tweech tizz own, I guess.

Re: Post 115 Read Messages button FU

<uc8uuk$7261$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=673&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#673

From: no@mail.invalid (Serdu)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 21:08:37 -0400
 by: Serdu - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 01:08 UTC

On 24-Aug-2023 21:00, Nobody wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Aug 2023 18:45:05 +0100, Dave <news@triffid.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> In article <rq2fei9n4aanqmhk3stc75fijdlocm9t07@4ax.com>,
>> Nobody <jock@soccer.com> wrote:

>>> TB 115.1.1... Win 11
>>
>>> If I'm understanding you correctly -- and I have three accounts -- if
>>> I bring an individual *account* into focus by clicking on its name in
>>> the folder pane, the top/first line of the msg pane area is populated
>>> with four items, including *Read messages* as the first (then *Write a
>>> new message*, *Search messages*, and *Manage message filters*).
>>
>>> Left clicking that simply opens the first folder of that account, i.e.
>>> Inbox (which may/may not have been highlighted if there was an unread
>>> msg), but it doesn't *open* any msg. Ditto for testing with the other
>>> two accounts.
>>
>> You are correct in the first paragraph.
>>
>> Pre 115 clicking on "Read Messages" would connect upline and download the
>> messages for that account only.
>>
>> Now it doesn't.
>>
>> As you note, the same with the other accounts I have.
>> ?
>>
>> D.
>
> It occurs to me, why do you go to the Named Account and generate its,
> um, introductory page... then push *Read messages*?
>
> Why not just go *Get Messages* on TB's main toolbar.
>
> Tweech tizz own, I guess.

....and in TB 115 *Get Messages* will download for all accounts in one
shot. :-)

Re: Post 115 Read Messages button FU

<tb1geitvvp1inv5fsditsc4oftrtr4vn3d@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=674&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#674

From: jock@soccer.com (Nobody)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 18:36:32 -0700
 by: Nobody - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 01:36 UTC

On Thu, 24 Aug 2023 21:08:37 -0400, Serdu <no@mail.invalid> wrote:

>On 24-Aug-2023 21:00, Nobody wrote:
>> On Thu, 24 Aug 2023 18:45:05 +0100, Dave <news@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

>>> You are correct in the first paragraph.
>>>
>>> Pre 115 clicking on "Read Messages" would connect upline and download the
>>> messages for that account only.
>>>
>>> Now it doesn't.
>>>
>>> As you note, the same with the other accounts I have.
>>> ?
>>>
>>> D.
>>
>> It occurs to me, why do you go to the Named Account and generate its,
>> um, introductory page... then push *Read messages*?
>>
>> Why not just go *Get Messages* on TB's main toolbar.
>>
>> Tweech tizz own, I guess.
>
>...and in TB 115 *Get Messages* will download for all accounts in one
>shot. :-)

'Zackly...

Re: Post 115 Read Messages button FU

<5ad955a845dave@triffid.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=675&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#675

From: dave@triffid.co.uk (Dave)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 07:21:01 +0100
 by: Dave - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 06:21 UTC

In article <cvufei1q7ukdhr23qgk1892fs40b5j53ij@4ax.com>,
Nobody <jock@soccer.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Aug 2023 18:45:05 +0100, Dave <news@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

[Snip]

> >You are correct in the first paragraph.
> >
> >Pre 115 clicking on "Read Messages" would connect upline and download
> >the messages for that account only.
> >
> >Now it doesn't.
> >
> >As you note, the same with the other accounts I have.
> >?
> >
> >D.

> It occurs to me, why do you go to the Named Account and generate its,
> um, introductory page... then push *Read messages*?

> Why not just go *Get Messages* on TB's main toolbar.

> Tweech tizz own, I guess.

I guess there are two main reasons: (Others are available on request). :-/

1) 18 Hands... Because (Big Horse) that's the way I do it, and have done
so for a while.

I have an account page open, I have my Inbox, and folders for that account
available.
"Read Messages" is there and should (Past would) just download for that
account.

2) Clicking "Get Messages" on the main toolbar just downloads all the
accounts, including News, and that is absolutely Not what I want.

If the "Get Messages" button had a right click action to open up the list
of accounts it would be a usable button, but as it is, just a one trick
pony, it's of no use to me. :-(

So what I need is a Tool button on the main toolbar, that when clicked
opens up the account list.

Any suggestions how that could be accomplished?

Thanks
D.

--

Dave Triffid

Re: Post 115 Read Messages button FU

<5ad957a030news@triffid.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=676&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#676

From: news@triffid.co.uk (Dave)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 07:42:31 +0100
 by: Dave - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 06:42 UTC

On 25 Aug, dave@triffid.co.uk wrote:
> I guess there are two main reasons: (Others are available on request). :-/

> 1) 18 Hands... Because (Big Horse) that's the way I do it, and have done
> so for a while.

> I have an account page open, I have my Inbox, and folders for that
> account available. "Read Messages" is there and should (Past would) just
> download for that account.

> 2) Clicking "Get Messages" on the main toolbar just downloads all the
> accounts, including News, and that is absolutely Not what I want.

> If the "Get Messages" button had a right click action to open up the list
> of accounts it would be a usable button, but as it is, just a one trick
> pony, it's of no use to me. :-(

> So what I need is a Tool button on the main toolbar, that when clicked
> opens up the account list.

> Any suggestions how that could be accomplished?

> Thanks
> D.

Footnote to my last posting...

In the open account window there are 6 buttons in a row.

Read Messages Write new message Seach messages
Manage message filters End-to-end Encryption.

The first, "Read Messages" does not work. Bug,bugbugbugbugbugbugbugbugbug,

The remaining five do work.

D.

Re: Post 115 Read Messages button FU

<5ad96e246dnews@triffid.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=677&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#677

From: news@triffid.co.uk (Dave)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 11:48:29 +0100
 by: Dave - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 10:48 UTC

On 25 Aug, news@triffid.co.uk wrote:
> On 25 Aug, dave@triffid.co.uk wrote:
> > I guess there are two main reasons: (Others are available on request). :-/

> > 1) 18 Hands... Because (Big Horse) that's the way I do it, and have
> > done so for a while.

> > I have an account page open, I have my Inbox, and folders for that
> > account available. "Read Messages" is there and should (Past would)
> > just download for that account.

> > 2) Clicking "Get Messages" on the main toolbar just downloads all the
> > accounts, including News, and that is absolutely Not what I want.

> > If the "Get Messages" button had a right click action to open up the
> > list of accounts it would be a usable button, but as it is, just a one
> > trick pony, it's of no use to me. :-(

> > So what I need is a Tool button on the main toolbar, that when clicked
> > opens up the account list.

> > Any suggestions how that could be accomplished?

> > Thanks
> > D.

> Footnote to my last posting...

> In the open account window there are 6 buttons in a row.

> Read Messages Write new message Seach messages
> Manage message filters End-to-end Encryption.

> The first, "Read Messages" does not work.
> Bug,bugbugbugbugbugbugbugbugbug,
>
> The remaining five do work.

> D.

I was doing some work on one of my other computers (Win 10 64bit) and
realised I still had Thunderbird 102.14.0 installed and not updated to 115.

So I tested it, and the Button in question within each account WORKS, and
without hesitation downloaded post for that account.

So obviously someone in the coding department has done a FU. :-)

D.

Re: Post 115 Read Messages button FU

<uca48b$7mb7$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=678&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#678

From: no@mail.invalid (Serdu)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 07:45:17 -0400
 by: Serdu - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 11:45 UTC

On 25-Aug-2023 06:48, Dave wrote:
> On 25 Aug, news@triffid.co.uk wrote:
>> On 25 Aug, dave@triffid.co.uk wrote:
>>> I guess there are two main reasons: (Others are available on request). :-/
>
>>> 1) 18 Hands... Because (Big Horse) that's the way I do it, and have
>>> done so for a while.
>
>>> I have an account page open, I have my Inbox, and folders for that
>>> account available. "Read Messages" is there and should (Past would)
>>> just download for that account.
>
>>> 2) Clicking "Get Messages" on the main toolbar just downloads all the
>>> accounts, including News, and that is absolutely Not what I want.
>
>>> If the "Get Messages" button had a right click action to open up the
>>> list of accounts it would be a usable button, but as it is, just a one
>>> trick pony, it's of no use to me. :-(
>
>>> So what I need is a Tool button on the main toolbar, that when clicked
>>> opens up the account list.
>
>>> Any suggestions how that could be accomplished?
>
>>> Thanks
>>> D.
>
>> Footnote to my last posting...
>
>> In the open account window there are 6 buttons in a row.
>
>> Read Messages Write new message Seach messages
>> Manage message filters End-to-end Encryption.
>
>> The first, "Read Messages" does not work.
>> Bug,bugbugbugbugbugbugbugbugbug,
>>
>> The remaining five do work.
>
>> D.
>
> I was doing some work on one of my other computers (Win 10 64bit) and
> realised I still had Thunderbird 102.14.0 installed and not updated to 115.
>
> So I tested it, and the Button in question within each account WORKS, and
> without hesitation downloaded post for that account.
>
> So obviously someone in the coding department has done a FU. :-)
>
> D.

That *Read Messages* button of yours must be from an *Extension* because
nowhere in my TB 102.14.0 (64bits) can I find such an option.
The only one I can find is *Get Messages*.
Most extension needs to be re-coded for TB 115.

Re: Post 115 Read Messages button FU

<uca5h0$ug7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=679&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#679

From: nospam@unokix.invalid (AllanH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 07:06:53 -0500
 by: AllanH - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 12:06 UTC

On 8/25/2023 6:45 AM, Serdu wrote:
> On 25-Aug-2023 06:48, Dave wrote:
>>
>> I was doing some work on one of my other computers (Win 10 64bit) and
>> realised I still had Thunderbird 102.14.0 installed and not updated to
>> 115.
>>
>> So I tested it, and the Button in question within each account WORKS, and
>> without hesitation downloaded post for that account.
>>
>> So obviously someone in the coding department has done a FU.  :-)
>>
>> D.
>>

> That *Read Messages* button of yours must be from an *Extension* because
> nowhere in my TB 102.14.0 (64bits) can I find such an option.
> The only one I can find is *Get Messages*.
> Most extension needs to be re-coded for TB 115.

My Version is 102.14.0 (Betterbird), I have Zero Extensions, and I also
see the "Read Messages" button when I focus on an account.

Re: Post 115 Read Messages button FU

<uca6c0$hequ$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=680&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#680

From: no@mail.invalid (Serdu)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 08:21:22 -0400
 by: Serdu - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 12:21 UTC

On 25-Aug-2023 08:06, AllanH wrote:
> On 8/25/2023 6:45 AM, Serdu wrote:
>> On 25-Aug-2023 06:48, Dave wrote:
>>>
>>> I was doing some work on one of my other computers (Win 10 64bit) and
>>> realised I still had Thunderbird 102.14.0 installed and not updated
>>> to 115.
>>>
>>> So I tested it, and the Button in question within each account WORKS,
>>> and
>>> without hesitation downloaded post for that account.
>>>
>>> So obviously someone in the coding department has done a FU.  :-)
>>>
>>> D.
>>>

>> That *Read Messages* button of yours must be from an *Extension*
>> because nowhere in my TB 102.14.0 (64bits) can I find such an option.
>> The only one I can find is *Get Messages*.
>> Most extension needs to be re-coded for TB 115.
>>

> My Version is 102.14.0 (Betterbird), I have Zero Extensions, and I also
> see the "Read Messages" button when I focus on an account.

Right. I was looking in all the wrong places for Love. :-)

Re: Post 115 Read Messages button FU

<uca951$hg4r$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=681&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#681

From: nospam@unokix.invalid (AllanH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 08:08:47 -0500
 by: AllanH - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 13:08 UTC

On 8/25/2023 5:48 AM, Dave wrote:
> On 25 Aug, news@triffid.co.uk wrote:
>> On 25 Aug, dave@triffid.co.uk wrote:
>>> I guess there are two main reasons: (Others are available on request). :-/
>
>>> 1) 18 Hands... Because (Big Horse) that's the way I do it, and have
>>> done so for a while.
>
>>> I have an account page open, I have my Inbox, and folders for that
>>> account available. "Read Messages" is there and should (Past would)
>>> just download for that account.
>
>>> 2) Clicking "Get Messages" on the main toolbar just downloads all the
>>> accounts, including News, and that is absolutely Not what I want.
>
>>> If the "Get Messages" button had a right click action to open up the
>>> list of accounts it would be a usable button, but as it is, just a one
>>> trick pony, it's of no use to me. :-(
>
>>> So what I need is a Tool button on the main toolbar, that when clicked
>>> opens up the account list.
>
>>> Any suggestions how that could be accomplished?
>
>>> Thanks
>>> D.
>
>> Footnote to my last posting...
>
>> In the open account window there are 6 buttons in a row.
>
>> Read Messages Write new message Seach messages
>> Manage message filters End-to-end Encryption.
>
>> The first, "Read Messages" does not work.
>> Bug,bugbugbugbugbugbugbugbugbug,
>>
>> The remaining five do work.
>
>> D.
>
> I was doing some work on one of my other computers (Win 10 64bit) and
> realised I still had Thunderbird 102.14.0 installed and not updated to 115.
>
> So I tested it, and the Button in question within each account WORKS, and
> without hesitation downloaded post for that account.
>
> So obviously someone in the coding department has done a FU. :-)
>
> D.

I just took a look at Betterbird 115.1.1.
I can confirm that the "Read Messages" button doesn't work the same way
as it did.
There is nothing displayed on the status bar like there is when
selecting "Get Messages".

Re: Post 115 Read Messages button FU

<ucafsa$2v0i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=682&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#682

From: billh@domain.is.invalid (Bill H)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 08:03:38 -0700
 by: Bill H - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 15:03 UTC

On 8/25/2023 at 3:48 AM, Dave wrote:
> On 25 Aug, news@triffid.co.uk wrote:
>> On 25 Aug, dave@triffid.co.uk wrote:
>>> I guess there are two main reasons: (Others are available on request). :-/
>
>>> 1) 18 Hands... Because (Big Horse) that's the way I do it, and have
>>> done so for a while.
>
>>> I have an account page open, I have my Inbox, and folders for that
>>> account available. "Read Messages" is there and should (Past would)
>>> just download for that account.
>
>>> 2) Clicking "Get Messages" on the main toolbar just downloads all the
>>> accounts, including News, and that is absolutely Not what I want.
>
>>> If the "Get Messages" button had a right click action to open up the
>>> list of accounts it would be a usable button, but as it is, just a one
>>> trick pony, it's of no use to me. :-(
>
>>> So what I need is a Tool button on the main toolbar, that when clicked
>>> opens up the account list.
>
>>> Any suggestions how that could be accomplished?
>
>>> Thanks
>>> D.
>
>> Footnote to my last posting...
>
>> In the open account window there are 6 buttons in a row.
>
>> Read Messages Write new message Seach messages
>> Manage message filters End-to-end Encryption.
>
>> The first, "Read Messages" does not work.
>> Bug,bugbugbugbugbugbugbugbugbug,
>>
>> The remaining five do work.
>
>> D.
>
> I was doing some work on one of my other computers (Win 10 64bit) and
> realised I still had Thunderbird 102.14.0 installed and not updated to 115.
>
> So I tested it, and the Button in question within each account WORKS, and
> without hesitation downloaded post for that account.
>
> So obviously someone in the coding department has done a FU. :-)
>
> D.

Sounds like you need to open a bug on Bugzilla.

Bill

Re: Post 115 Read Messages button FU

<ucagns$2v0i$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=683&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#683

From: billh@domain.is.invalid (Bill H)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 08:18:20 -0700
 by: Bill H - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 15:18 UTC

On 8/24/2023 at 11:21 PM, Dave wrote:

> So what I need is a Tool button on the main toolbar, that when clicked
> opens up the account list.
>
> Any suggestions how that could be accomplished?
>
> Thanks
> D.

Why not just right click on the account name and select "Get Messages"?
This retrieves only the new messages for that account.

Bill

Re: Post 115 Read Messages button FU

<5ad986ca53news@triffid.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=684&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#684

From: news@triffid.co.uk (Dave)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 16:17:41 +0100
 by: Dave - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 15:17 UTC

In article <ucafsa$2v0i$1@dont-email.me>,
Bill H <billh@domain.is.invalid> wrote:

[Snippy]

> Sounds like you need to open a bug on Bugzilla.

> Bill

I wouldn't know how to do that. :-(

D.

Re: Post 115 Read Messages button FU

<ucah5d$2v0i$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=685&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#685

From: billh@domain.is.invalid (Bill H)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 08:25:32 -0700
 by: Bill H - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 15:25 UTC

On 8/25/2023 at 8:17 AM, Dave wrote:
> In article <ucafsa$2v0i$1@dont-email.me>,
> Bill H <billh@domain.is.invalid> wrote:
>
> [Snippy]
>
>> Sounds like you need to open a bug on Bugzilla.
>
>> Bill
>
> I wouldn't know how to do that. :-(
>
> D.

Here is an add-on that looks like it does what you need.

https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/getsendbutton/

Bill

Re: Post 115 Read Messages button FU

<5ad98796b8news@triffid.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=686&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#686

From: news@triffid.co.uk (Dave)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 16:26:24 +0100
 by: Dave - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 15:26 UTC

In article <ucagns$2v0i$2@dont-email.me>,
Bill H <billh@domain.is.invalid> wrote:
> On 8/24/2023 at 11:21 PM, Dave wrote:

> > So what I need is a Tool button on the main toolbar, that when clicked
> > opens up the account list.
> >
> > Any suggestions how that could be accomplished?
> >
> > Thanks
> > D.
> >

> Why not just right click on the account name and select "Get Messages"?
> This retrieves only the new messages for that account.

> Bill

Mmnn! I've just tried that and it works, so I guess I'll have to do it
that way...

Thanks for the tip Bill, appreciated.
D.

Re: Post 115 Read Messages button FU

<5ad987daafnews@triffid.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=687&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#687

From: news@triffid.co.uk (Dave)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 16:29:18 +0100
 by: Dave - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 15:29 UTC

In article <ucah5d$2v0i$3@dont-email.me>,
Bill H <billh@domain.is.invalid> wrote:
> On 8/25/2023 at 8:17 AM, Dave wrote:
> > In article <ucafsa$2v0i$1@dont-email.me>,
> > Bill H <billh@domain.is.invalid> wrote:
> >
> > [Snippy]
> >
> >> Sounds like you need to open a bug on Bugzilla.
> >
> >> Bill
> >
> > I wouldn't know how to do that. :-(
> >
> > D.
> >

> Here is an add-on that looks like it does what you need.

> https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/getsendbutton/

> Bill

Yes, I looked at that a couple of days ago, unfortunately it's not
compatible with version 115.

Thanks for the thought anyway.

D.

Re: Post 115 Read Messages button FU

<ucai0l$2v0i$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=688&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#688

From: billh@domain.is.invalid (Bill H)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 08:40:04 -0700
 by: Bill H - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 15:40 UTC

On 8/25/2023 at 8:29 AM, Dave wrote:
> In article <ucah5d$2v0i$3@dont-email.me>,
> Bill H <billh@domain.is.invalid> wrote:
>> On 8/25/2023 at 8:17 AM, Dave wrote:
>>> In article <ucafsa$2v0i$1@dont-email.me>,
>>> Bill H <billh@domain.is.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>> [Snippy]

>>> I wouldn't know how to do that. :-(
>>>
>>> D.
>>>

>> Here is an add-on that looks like it does what you need.
>
>> https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/getsendbutton/
>
>> Bill
>
> Yes, I looked at that a couple of days ago, unfortunately it's not
> compatible with version 115.
>
> Thanks for the thought anyway.
>
> D.

Oops... sorry about that. I used to use that add-on until TB 115
changed so it downloads all accounts by default so I no longer needed
it. I didn't realize it was not compatible with TB 115.

Bill

Re: Post 115 Read Messages button FU

<5ad99a37c6news@triffid.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=689&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#689

From: news@triffid.co.uk (Dave)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 19:49:55 +0100
 by: Dave - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 18:49 UTC

In article <ucai0l$2v0i$4@dont-email.me>,
Bill H <billh@domain.is.invalid> wrote:
> On 8/25/2023 at 8:29 AM, Dave wrote:
> > In article <ucah5d$2v0i$3@dont-email.me>,
> > Bill H <billh@domain.is.invalid> wrote:

[Snip]

> >> Here is an add-on that looks like it does what you need.
> >
> >> https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/getsendbutton/
> >
> >> Bill
> >
> > Yes, I looked at that a couple of days ago, unfortunately it's not
> > compatible with version 115.
> >
> > Thanks for the thought anyway.
> >
> > D.
> >

> Oops... sorry about that. I used to use that add-on until TB 115
> changed so it downloads all accounts by default so I no longer needed
> it. I didn't realize it was not compatible with TB 115.

> Bill

Bill,
I've decided to go with your suggestion earlier and use the click on the
account name to get a one off download.

Thanks
D.

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / Post 115 Read Messages button FU