Pohl's law: Nothing is so good that somebody, somewhere, will not hate it.

computers / comp.misc / Bloody Microsoft

SubjectAuthor
* Bloody MicrosoftSylvia Else
+* Re: Bloody MicrosoftRich
|+* Re: Bloody MicrosoftBob Eager
||`* Re: Bloody MicrosoftThe Real Bev
|| +* Re: Bloody MicrosoftGrant Taylor
|| |`* Re: Bloody MicrosoftAnt
|| | +* Re: Bloody MicrosoftGrant Taylor
|| | `* Re: Bloody MicrosoftScott Alfter
|| |  `- Re: Bloody MicrosoftGrant Taylor
|| +- Re: Bloody MicrosoftBob Eager
|| `* Re: Bloody MicrosoftScott Dorsey
||  +- Re: Bloody MicrosoftAnt
||  `* Re: Bloody MicrosoftJavier
||   +- Re: Bloody MicrosoftAnssi Saari
||   `- Re: Bloody MicrosoftScott Dorsey
|`* Re: Bloody MicrosoftSylvia Else
| `- Re: Bloody MicrosoftLain
`- Re: Bloody MicrosoftRoger Blake

1
Bloody Microsoft

<iidqs1FjesrU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=660&group=comp.misc#660

From: sylvia@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Bloody Microsoft
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 16:47:27 +1000
 by: Sylvia Else - Thu, 10 Jun 2021 06:47 UTC

Just because you think my version of Office is unlicensed (heads up, it
wasn't, the motherboard change just made you think it was), that doesn't
mean you should just throw away my work in progress.

Sylvia.

Re: Bloody Microsoft

<s9t6f1$ieb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=661&group=comp.misc#661

From: rich@example.invalid (Rich)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Re: Bloody Microsoft
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 14:09:38 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Rich - Thu, 10 Jun 2021 14:09 UTC

Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid> wrote:
> Just because you think my version of Office is unlicensed (heads up, it
> wasn't, the motherboard change just made you think it was), that doesn't
> mean you should just throw away my work in progress.

This is a well known microsoft anti-copy measure. When you "install"
their licensed crapware, it "locks" itself to your particular hardware,
and so things such as a motherboard swap result in them believing they
have been "copied elsewhere" and they demand more money again.

Solution: https://www.libreoffice.org/

Re: Bloody Microsoft

<iieml1Fq0hmU20@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=662&group=comp.misc#662

From: news0009@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: 10 Jun 2021 14:41:37 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Thu, 10 Jun 2021 14:41 UTC

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 14:09:38 +0000, Rich wrote:

> Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid> wrote:
>> Just because you think my version of Office is unlicensed (heads up, it
>> wasn't, the motherboard change just made you think it was), that
>> doesn't mean you should just throw away my work in progress.
>
> This is a well known microsoft anti-copy measure. When you "install"
> their licensed crapware, it "locks" itself to your particular hardware,
> and so things such as a motherboard swap result in them believing they
> have been "copied elsewhere" and they demand more money again.

If it's not an OEM version, they will allow activation on request.

--
Using UNIX since v6 (1975)...

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Re: Bloody Microsoft

<s9te3i$dsq$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=663&group=comp.misc#663

From: bashley101@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 09:20:02 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Thu, 10 Jun 2021 16:20 UTC

On 06/10/2021 07:41 AM, Bob Eager wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 14:09:38 +0000, Rich wrote:
>
>> Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid> wrote:
>>> Just because you think my version of Office is unlicensed (heads up, it
>>> wasn't, the motherboard change just made you think it was), that
>>> doesn't mean you should just throw away my work in progress.
>>
>> This is a well known microsoft anti-copy measure. When you "install"
>> their licensed crapware, it "locks" itself to your particular hardware,
>> and so things such as a motherboard swap result in them believing they
>> have been "copied elsewhere" and they demand more money again.
>
> If it's not an OEM version, they will allow activation on request.

SIL had to replace a hard drive and had to buy a new Win10 copy.
Chickenshit.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Don't sweat it -- it's not real life. It's only ones and zeroes."

Re: Bloody Microsoft

<s9thll$4ss$1@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=664&group=comp.misc#664

From: gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net (Grant Taylor)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 11:20:48 -0600
 by: Grant Taylor - Thu, 10 Jun 2021 17:20 UTC

On 6/10/21 10:20 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
> had to replace a hard drive and had to buy a new Win10 copy.

You should not have needed to buy a new W10 copy (for multiple reasons).
But you may have needed to re-activate the existing install. Doing
said (re)activation may have required contacting Microsoft and
explaining to their satisfaction (that you replaced the hard drive in
the same computer) so that they will reset the installed count on your
existing copy.

It's definitely a PITA. But 5-15 minutes talking to Microsoft is
decidedly cheaper than purchasing a new license.

Aside: What W10 license are you using? I still routinely get free W10
licenses for family members computers when I work on them.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Re: Bloody Microsoft

<iife8eFq0hmU21@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=665&group=comp.misc#665

From: news0009@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: 10 Jun 2021 21:24:30 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Thu, 10 Jun 2021 21:24 UTC

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 09:20:02 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:

> On 06/10/2021 07:41 AM, Bob Eager wrote:

>>> This is a well known microsoft anti-copy measure. When you "install"
>>> their licensed crapware, it "locks" itself to your particular
>>> hardware,
>>> and so things such as a motherboard swap result in them believing they
>>> have been "copied elsewhere" and they demand more money again.
>>
>> If it's not an OEM version, they will allow activation on request.
>
> SIL had to replace a hard drive and had to buy a new Win10 copy.
> Chickenshit.

Was that an OEM copy?

--
Using UNIX since v6 (1975)...

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Re: Bloody Microsoft

<20210610183411@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=666&group=comp.misc#666

From: rogblake@iname.invalid (Roger Blake)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 22:38:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Roger Blake - Thu, 10 Jun 2021 22:38 UTC

On 2021-06-10, Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid> wrote:
> Just because you think my version of Office is unlicensed (heads up, it
> wasn't, the motherboard change just made you think it was), that doesn't
> mean you should just throw away my work in progress.

As far as I'm concerned the people who run Microsoft are a bunch of mindless
jerks who should be the first up against the wall when the Revolution comes.

Today's adventure was doing an in-place upgrade of a Win10 1803 system to
current version that simply fails with no error codes, no reason given,
and nothing in the installation log - just a big "F*ck you, install it
from scratch sucker, just because!" from Microsoft.

They should all die a grievous death. (I don't use Microsoft's garbage
software myself but support it for others.)

18 Reasons I won't be vaccinated -- https://tinyurl.com/ebty2dx3
Covid vaccines: experimental biology -- https://tinyurl.com/57mncfm5
The fraud of "Climate Change" -- https://RealClimateScience.com
Don't talk to cops! -- https://DontTalkToCops.com

Re: Bloody Microsoft

<iifjlpFu5b8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=667&group=comp.misc#667

From: sylvia@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 08:56:55 +1000
 by: Sylvia Else - Thu, 10 Jun 2021 22:56 UTC

On 11-Jun-21 12:09 am, Rich wrote:
> Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid> wrote:
>> Just because you think my version of Office is unlicensed (heads up, it
>> wasn't, the motherboard change just made you think it was), that doesn't
>> mean you should just throw away my work in progress.
>
> This is a well known microsoft anti-copy measure. When you "install"
> their licensed crapware, it "locks" itself to your particular hardware,
> and so things such as a motherboard swap result in them believing they
> have been "copied elsewhere" and they demand more money again.
>
> Solution: https://www.libreoffice.org/

The version I had was bought retail, so I'm permitted to install it on
new hardware. All it actually wanted was for me to tell it to do an
internet activation. Given Microsoft's general lack of concern about
respecting its users privacy, I can't see why Word couldn't just do that
for itself, rather than tossing my work.

Sylvia.

Re: Bloody Microsoft

<sa5j44$3qc$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=680&group=comp.misc#680

From: kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: 13 Jun 2021 18:34:44 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Sun, 13 Jun 2021 18:34 UTC

The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 06/10/2021 07:41 AM, Bob Eager wrote:

>>> This is a well known microsoft anti-copy measure. When you "install"
>>> their licensed crapware, it "locks" itself to your particular hardware,
>>> and so things such as a motherboard swap result in them believing they
>>> have been "copied elsewhere" and they demand more money again.

If you swap the motherboard, it IS unlicensed because it's not licensed
to run on that board. Make the phone call, read them the letters, and
transfer the license. It does not take long. Since you have to do it
for the OS anyway, you might as well just do Office at the same time.

>> If it's not an OEM version, they will allow activation on request.
>
>SIL had to replace a hard drive and had to buy a new Win10 copy.
>Chickenshit.

This happens because machines no longer come with physical license keys.
Extract the license key and print it out and this won't happen to you.

It also happens because people don't keep image backups. Make an image
backup every six months or so using Clonezilla or some other similar
application.
--scott

Re: Bloody Microsoft

<WMGdncXogaOjSVv9nZ2dnUU7-eWdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=681&group=comp.misc#681

From: ant@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 22:59:58 -0500
 by: Ant - Mon, 14 Jun 2021 03:59 UTC

Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote:
> The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you swap the motherboard, it IS unlicensed because it's not licensed
> to run on that board. Make the phone call, read them the letters, and
> transfer the license. It does not take long. Since you have to do it
> for the OS anyway, you might as well just do Office at the same time.

> >> If it's not an OEM version, they will allow activation on request.
> >
> >SIL had to replace a hard drive and had to buy a new Win10 copy.
> >Chickenshit.

> This happens because machines no longer come with physical license keys.
> Extract the license key and print it out and this won't happen to you.

> It also happens because people don't keep image backups. Make an image
> backup every six months or so using Clonezilla or some other similar
> application.
> --scott

Or use a MS account to register your keys.
--
So many issues, and so little time and energy! Crazy last week and soon this hot week. :(
| |o o| |

Re: Bloody Microsoft

<WMGdncTogaPrSVv9nZ2dnUU7-eWdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=682&group=comp.misc#682

From: ant@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 23:00:54 -0500
 by: Ant - Mon, 14 Jun 2021 04:00 UTC

Grant Taylor <gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net> wrote:
> On 6/10/21 10:20 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
> > had to replace a hard drive and had to buy a new Win10 copy.

> You should not have needed to buy a new W10 copy (for multiple reasons).
> But you may have needed to re-activate the existing install. Doing
> said (re)activation may have required contacting Microsoft and
> explaining to their satisfaction (that you replaced the hard drive in
> the same computer) so that they will reset the installed count on your
> existing copy.

> It's definitely a PITA. But 5-15 minutes talking to Microsoft is
> decidedly cheaper than purchasing a new license.

> Aside: What W10 license are you using? I still routinely get free W10
> licenses for family members computers when I work on them.

Uh, you get free W10 keys from them?
--
So many issues, and so little time and energy! Crazy last week and soon this hot week. :(
| |o o| |
\ _ /
( )

Re: Bloody Microsoft

<sa6lfe$cdi$1@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=683&group=comp.misc#683

From: gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net (Grant Taylor)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 22:20:49 -0600
 by: Grant Taylor - Mon, 14 Jun 2021 04:20 UTC

On 6/13/21 10:00 PM, Ant wrote:
> Uh, you get free W10 keys from them?

Yes.

If you have a qualifying product (I think Windows 7 or newer) you can
get a key / license to upgrade to Windows 10 for free.

This is most simply done by using your qualifying product's key as the
key for Windows 10.

It's part of their move to get everybody to upgrade to current, latest,
and supposedly greatest.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Re: Bloody Microsoft

<GhLxI.708204$2A5.330807@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=684&group=comp.misc#684

Newsgroups: comp.misc
From: scott@alfter.diespammersdie.us (Scott Alfter)
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 16:16:38 GMT
 by: Scott Alfter - Mon, 14 Jun 2021 16:16 UTC

In article <WMGdncTogaPrSVv9nZ2dnUU7-eWdnZ2d@earthlink.com>,
Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
>Grant Taylor <gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net> wrote:
>> On 6/10/21 10:20 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
>> > had to replace a hard drive and had to buy a new Win10 copy.
>
>> You should not have needed to buy a new W10 copy (for multiple reasons).
>> But you may have needed to re-activate the existing install. Doing
>> said (re)activation may have required contacting Microsoft and
>> explaining to their satisfaction (that you replaced the hard drive in
>> the same computer) so that they will reset the installed count on your
>> existing copy.
>
>> It's definitely a PITA. But 5-15 minutes talking to Microsoft is
>> decidedly cheaper than purchasing a new license.
>
>> Aside: What W10 license are you using? I still routinely get free W10
>> licenses for family members computers when I work on them.
>
>Uh, you get free W10 keys from them?

They never quit the free upgrades from Win7/8/8.1. It was only supposed to
last a year, but you can take a computer running Win7 (retail, OEM, volume
license...it doesn't matter), upgrade it it Win10, and it'll activate.
Since these upgraded installations are unstable about half of the time, you
can then wipe the hard drive clean and do a fresh Win10 install, and it'll
reactivate.

_/_
(IIGS( https://alfter.us/ Top-posting!
\_^_/ >What's the most annoying thing on Usenet?

Re: Bloody Microsoft

<sa82jv$39r$1@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=685&group=comp.misc#685

From: gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net (Grant Taylor)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 11:11:13 -0600
 by: Grant Taylor - Mon, 14 Jun 2021 17:11 UTC

On 6/14/21 10:16 AM, Scott Alfter wrote:
> They never quit the free upgrades from Win7/8/8.1. It was only
> supposed to last a year, but you can take a computer running Win7
> (retail, OEM, volume license...it doesn't matter), upgrade it it Win10,
> and it'll activate.

Yep, that sounds like the program that I'm referring to.

> Since these upgraded installations are unstable about half of the time,
> you can then wipe the hard drive clean and do a fresh Win10 install,
> and it'll reactivate.

I don't think I've ever done an /upgrade/ install of Windows 10. I've
always done a fresh install. They've been stable enough -- for family
members using them -- for multiple years. As in I don't have to
routinely fix or otherwise futz with them (remotely).

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Re: Bloody Microsoft

<JZmdnRS459u4dlr9nZ2dnUU78dednZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=686&group=comp.misc#686

From: invalid@invalid.invalid (Javier)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 18:49:57 -0500
 by: Javier - Mon, 14 Jun 2021 23:49 UTC

Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote:
> It also happens because people don't keep image backups. Make an image
> backup every six months or so using Clonezilla or some other similar
> application.

Which are the advantages of using clonezilla over dd?
For example, would clonezilla detect empty sectors?

Re: Bloody Microsoft

<DP-dnRq1qegavVX9nZ2dnUU7-aednZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=687&group=comp.misc#687

From: ant@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 22:37:43 -0500
 by: Ant - Tue, 15 Jun 2021 03:37 UTC

Grant Taylor <gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net> wrote:
> On 6/13/21 10:00 PM, Ant wrote:
> > Uh, you get free W10 keys from them?

> Yes.

> If you have a qualifying product (I think Windows 7 or newer) you can
> get a key / license to upgrade to Windows 10 for free.

> This is most simply done by using your qualifying product's key as the
> key for Windows 10.

> It's part of their move to get everybody to upgrade to current, latest,
> and supposedly greatest.

Ah. I thought you were able to get free W10 keys for yourself. :O
--
So many issues, and so little time and energy! Crazy last week and soon this hot week. :(
| |o o| |
\ _ /
( )

Re: Bloody Microsoft

<sa9878$49d$1@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=688&group=comp.misc#688

From: gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net (Grant Taylor)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 21:52:58 -0600
 by: Grant Taylor - Tue, 15 Jun 2021 03:52 UTC

On 6/14/21 9:37 PM, Ant wrote:
> Ah. I thought you were able to get free W10 keys for yourself. :O

I believe I could, /if/ I wanted one. I do not. I dislike Windows,
especially contemporary Windows. My year of the Linux desktop was 1998.
Windows ... to be polite ... does something between annoy and irritate
me, depending on the day and what I'm trying to do.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Re: Bloody Microsoft

<sm0lf7bk8v6.fsf@lakka.kapsi.fi>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=689&group=comp.misc#689

From: as@sci.fi (Anssi Saari)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2021 08:14:05 +0300
sha1:4R37D0WPd85v/V9m1cGoikmY3OE=
 by: Anssi Saari - Tue, 15 Jun 2021 05:14 UTC

Javier <invalid@invalid.invalid> writes:

> Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote:
>> It also happens because people don't keep image backups. Make an image
>> backup every six months or so using Clonezilla or some other similar
>> application.
>
> Which are the advantages of using clonezilla over dd?
> For example, would clonezilla detect empty sectors?

Clonezilla uses partclone so yes.

Re: Bloody Microsoft

<sage2d$cpb$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=692&group=comp.misc#692

From: kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: 17 Jun 2021 21:15:57 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Thu, 17 Jun 2021 21:15 UTC

Javier <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote:
>> It also happens because people don't keep image backups. Make an image
>> backup every six months or so using Clonezilla or some other similar
>> application.
>
>Which are the advantages of using clonezilla over dd?
>For example, would clonezilla detect empty sectors?

Clonezilla comes as a standalone package. You boot it off the CD and now
you don't worry about open files because it's running instead of your normal
OS and no files are open on your OS disk.

When you run clonezilla, it looks at partitions, and it images them. If it
sees a partition type it doesn't know about, it will use dd, I believe. If
it sees a partition type that it can clone much faster using various built in
applications, it will use them. On the whole, copying ext4, ntfs, or xfs
filesystems, it runs much much faster than dd, usually by a factor of more
than ten.
--scott

Re: Bloody Microsoft

<sbido0$g2b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=699&group=comp.misc#699

From: lain@wired.net (Lain)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 18:38:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lain - Wed, 30 Jun 2021 18:38 UTC

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 08:56:55 +1000
Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid> wrote:

> On 11-Jun-21 12:09 am, Rich wrote:
> > Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid> wrote:
> >> Just because you think my version of Office is unlicensed (heads up, it
> >> wasn't, the motherboard change just made you think it was), that doesn't
> >> mean you should just throw away my work in progress.
> >
> > This is a well known microsoft anti-copy measure. When you "install"
> > their licensed crapware, it "locks" itself to your particular hardware,
> > and so things such as a motherboard swap result in them believing they
> > have been "copied elsewhere" and they demand more money again.
> >
> > Solution: https://www.libreoffice.org/
> >

> The version I had was bought retail, so I'm permitted to install it on
> new hardware. All it actually wanted was for me to tell it to do an
> internet activation. Given Microsoft's general lack of concern about
> respecting its users privacy, I can't see why Word couldn't just do that
> for itself, rather than tossing my work.
>
> Sylvia.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

--
Lain <lain@wired.net>

computers / comp.misc / Bloody Microsoft