Marriage is the only adventure open to the cowardly. -- Voltaire

computers / alt.bbs / Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

SubjectAuthor
* Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneCitadel BBS History
+* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneOh So Gross!
|+- Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS ScenePeter Flass
|`- Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneMarc Lewis
+* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneBlue-Maned_Hawk
|`* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneJohn Levine
| +* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneVir Campestris
| |`* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneJohn Levine
| | `- Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneCharlie Gibbs
| +- Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneJim Jackson
| `- Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneDavid Lesher
+- Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneAnthk
+- Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneDan Cross
+* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneMarco Moock
|+- Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scenejohnson
|`* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneArschraub Bosartig
| +* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneAhem A Rivet's Shot
| |+- Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneJim Jackson
| |`- Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneD.J.
| +- Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneJim Jackson
| `- Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneMarco Moock
+- Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneRichmond
+- Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scenepseudonymous
`- Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneDeposite Pirate

1
Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

<tsifaj$2o79$1@news.cyber23.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=66&group=alt.bbs#66

From: citadel@bbs.history (Citadel BBS History)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers,alt.bbs
Subject: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 05:25:22 -0600
 by: Citadel BBS History - Wed, 15 Feb 2023 11:25 UTC

"This document makes reference to the terms "Linux" and "open source"
without hesitation. Our official position is that the phrase "GNU/Linux"
is only used by communists like Richard Stallman who contribute little
more than noise and friction to the open source community."

Citadel: a storied history
https://www.citadel.org/citadel_past_present_and_future.html

TLDR; Richard Stallman is a dishwatery pinko commie neanderthal.

Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

<tsioa9$2qu9$1@news.cyber23.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=67&group=alt.bbs#67

From: oh@so.gross (Oh So Gross!)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers,alt.bbs
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 07:58:50 -0600
 by: Oh So Gross! - Wed, 15 Feb 2023 13:58 UTC

On 2/15/23 05:34, maus wrote:
> On 2023-02-15, Citadel BBS History <citadel@bbs.history> wrote:
>> "This document makes reference to the terms "Linux" and "open source"
>> without hesitation. Our official position is that the phrase "GNU/Linux"
>> is only used by communists like Richard Stallman who contribute little
>> more than noise and friction to the open source community."
>>
>> Citadel: a storied history
>> https://www.citadel.org/citadel_past_present_and_future.html
>>
>> TLDR; Richard Stallman is a dishwatery pinko commie neanderthal.
>>

> I would disagree. He is a non-group thinker.

He tells us what he thinks about. Richard Stallman Quotes:

"I am skeptical of the claim that voluntarily pedophilia harms children.
The arguments that it causes harm seem to be based on cases which aren't
voluntary, which are then stretched by parents who are horrified by the
idea that their little baby is maturing."

"There is little evidence to justify the widespread assumption that
willing participation in pedophilia hurts children. Granted, children
may not dare say no to an older relative, or may not realize they could
say no; in that case, even if they do not overtly object, the
relationship may still feel imposed to them. That's not willing
participation, it's imposed participation, a different issue."

"Prostitution, adultery, necrophilia, bestiality, possession of child
pornography, and even incest and pedophilia ... should be legal as long
as no one is coerced. They are illegal only because of prejudice and
narrowmindedness."

"I've read that male dolphins try to have sex with humans, and female
apes solicit sex from humans. What is wrong with giving them what they
want, if that's what turns you on, or even just to gratify them?"

"Many years ago I posted that I could not see anything wrong about sex
between an adult and a child, if the child accepted it," Stallman wrote.
"Through personal conversations in recent years, I've learned to
understand how sex with a child can harm per psychologically. This
changed my mind about the matter: I think adults should not do that. I
am grateful for the conversations that enabled me to understand why."

Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

<465791576.698163655.215464.peter_flass-yahoo.com@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=68&group=alt.bbs#68

From: peter_flass@yahoo.com (Peter Flass)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers,alt.bbs
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 07:24:57 -0700
sha1:uJsdnCMl76E0mT/+LW98VQYsdFk=
 by: Peter Flass - Wed, 15 Feb 2023 14:24 UTC

Oh So Gross! <oh@so.gross> wrote:

> "I've read that male dolphins try to have sex with humans, and female
> apes solicit sex from humans. What is wrong with giving them what they
> want, if that's what turns you on, or even just to gratify them?"

And this, children, is where mermaids come from.

Stallman has made real, significant contributions, including
re-invigorating the idea of open source for the post-unbundling era, but
he’s much too full of himself, and has failed to realize that things have
moved on.

--
Pete

Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

<tsjog5$30s73$1@bluemanedhawk.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69&group=alt.bbs#69

From: bluemanedhawk@gmail.com (Blue-Maned_Hawk)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers,alt.bbs
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 18:05:41 -0500
 by: Blue-Maned_Hawk - Wed, 15 Feb 2023 23:05 UTC

On 2/15/23 06:25, Citadel BBS History wrote:
> "This document makes reference to the terms "Linux" and "open source"
> without hesitation. Our official position is that the phrase "GNU/Linux"
> is only used by communists like Richard Stallman who contribute little
> more than noise and friction to the open source community."

​When you use the term "communist" against someone derogatorily, do you
use it with the literal definition term in mind, or do you use it as a
generic insult, regardless of its literal definition?
--
⚗︎ | /blu.mɛin.dʰak/ | shortens to "Hawk" | he/him/his/himself/Mr.
bluemanedhawk.github.io

Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

<tsk4ma$1tgv$1@gal.iecc.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=70&group=alt.bbs#70

From: johnl@taugh.com (John Levine)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers,alt.bbs
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 02:33:46 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: johnl@iecc.com (John Levine)
 by: John Levine - Thu, 16 Feb 2023 02:33 UTC

According to Blue-Maned_Hawk <bluemanedhawk@gmail.com>:
>> is only used by communists like Richard Stallman who contribute little
>> more than noise and friction to the open source community."
>
>​When you use the term "communist" against someone derogatorily, do you
>use it with the literal definition term in mind, or do you use it as a
>generic insult, regardless of its literal definition?

Stallman is the guy behind the Gnu Public License, which is intended
to force software to be freely sharable rather than sold so in that
sense I suppose you might argue that he's opposed to private property.
But as far as I know, that's just about software. As anyone familiar
with the history of computing knows, nobody even attempted to
copyright software until the mid 1960s, and the computer business did
just fine in the 1940s, 50s, and 60s.

So in this case I think it's "communist" in the sense of "poopyhead".
--
Regards,
John Levine, johnl@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",

Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

<tsl782$385rl$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=71&group=alt.bbs#71

From: vir.campestris@invalid.invalid (Vir Campestris)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers,alt.bbs
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 12:23:30 +0000
 by: Vir Campestris - Thu, 16 Feb 2023 12:23 UTC

On 16/02/2023 02:33, John Levine wrote:
> As anyone familiar
> with the history of computing knows, nobody even attempted to
> copyright software until the mid 1960s, and the computer business did
> just fine in the 1940s, 50s, and 60s.

Back in those days there was no portable software.

IAC software was just a way to help sell the hardware.

Andy

Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

<slrntut9p4.4nn.jj@iridium.wf32df>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=72&group=alt.bbs#72

From: jj@franjam.org.uk (Jim Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers,alt.bbs
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 21:59:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jim Jackson - Thu, 16 Feb 2023 21:59 UTC

On 2023-02-16, John Levine <johnl@taugh.com> wrote:
> According to Blue-Maned_Hawk <bluemanedhawk@gmail.com>:
>>> is only used by communists like Richard Stallman who contribute little
>>> more than noise and friction to the open source community."
>>
>>???When you use the term "communist" against someone derogatorily, do you
>>use it with the literal definition term in mind, or do you use it as a
>>generic insult, regardless of its literal definition?
>
> Stallman is the guy behind the Gnu Public License, which is intended
> to force software to be freely sharable rather than sold ...

Not quite. You can sell it. From the GPL 2, second paragraph ...

"When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom, not
price. Our General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that you
have the freedom to distribute copies of free software (and charge for
this service if you wish), that you receive source code or can get it
if you want it, that you can change the software or use pieces of it
in new free programs; and that you know you can do these things."

> .... so in that
> sense I suppose you might argue that he's opposed to private property.
> But as far as I know, that's just about software. As anyone familiar
> with the history of computing knows, nobody even attempted to
> copyright software until the mid 1960s, and the computer business did
> just fine in the 1940s, 50s, and 60s.
> So in this case I think it's "communist" in the sense of "poopyhead".

Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

<tsmaic$450$2@gal.iecc.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=73&group=alt.bbs#73

From: johnl@taugh.com (John Levine)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers,alt.bbs
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 22:26:20 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: johnl@iecc.com (John Levine)
 by: John Levine - Thu, 16 Feb 2023 22:26 UTC

According to Vir Campestris <vir.campestris@invalid.invalid>:
>On 16/02/2023 02:33, John Levine wrote:
>> As anyone familiar
>> with the history of computing knows, nobody even attempted to
>> copyright software until the mid 1960s, and the computer business did
>> just fine in the 1940s, 50s, and 60s.
>
>Back in those days there was no portable software.

Um, the entire point of COBOL was to be portable, and people were
certainly moving Fortran programs from one kind of machine to another
by 1960. You might want to brush up on your history.

Hint: the CO stands for COmmon.

--
Regards,
John Levine, johnl@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",

Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

<tsme3o$3d8rt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=74&group=alt.bbs#74

From: anthk@disroot.org (Anthk)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers,alt.bbs
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 23:26:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Anthk - Thu, 16 Feb 2023 23:26 UTC

On 2023-02-15, Citadel BBS History <citadel@bbs.history> wrote:
> "This document makes reference to the terms "Linux" and "open source"
> without hesitation. Our official position is that the phrase "GNU/Linux"
> is only used by communists like Richard Stallman who contribute little
> more than noise and friction to the open source community."
>
> Citadel: a storied history
> https://www.citadel.org/citadel_past_present_and_future.html
>
> TLDR; Richard Stallman is a dishwatery pinko commie neanderthal.

Eh, GuixSD it's far more revolutionary than these old-fashioned dickheads.
And Emacs interface for the blind, Emacspeak, it's far ahead of everything.

Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

<UwAHL.977306$vBI8.256843@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=75&group=alt.bbs#75

Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers,alt.bbs
From: cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 01:13:24 GMT
 by: Charlie Gibbs - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 01:13 UTC

On 2023-02-16, John Levine <johnl@taugh.com> wrote:

> According to Vir Campestris <vir.campestris@invalid.invalid>:
>
>> On 16/02/2023 02:33, John Levine wrote:
>>
>>> As anyone familiar
>>> with the history of computing knows, nobody even attempted to
>>> copyright software until the mid 1960s, and the computer business
>>> did just fine in the 1940s, 50s, and 60s.
>>
>> Back in those days there was no portable software.
>
> Um, the entire point of COBOL was to be portable, and people were
> certainly moving Fortran programs from one kind of machine to another
> by 1960. You might want to brush up on your history.
>
> Hint: the CO stands for COmmon.

Still, as with everything else, IBM did its best to add proprietary
extensions to lock people in. (Yes, that's one more "innovation"
that Microsoft didn't invent.) But if you were careful you could
write in a fairly portable dialect.

--
/~\ Charlie Gibbs | Microsoft is a dictatorship.
\ / <cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid> | Apple is a cult.

Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

<tsp0ga$lbt$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=76&group=alt.bbs#76

From: cross@spitfire.i.gajendra.net (Dan Cross)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers,alt.bbs
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 22:52:58 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: cross@spitfire.i.gajendra.net (Dan Cross)
 by: Dan Cross - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 22:52 UTC

In article <tsifaj$2o79$1@news.cyber23.de>,
Citadel BBS History <citadel@bbs.history> wrote:
>[snip drivel]
> "Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene"?

I'm no Stallman fan, but... Who cares what the
"BBS Scene" thinks of him?

- Dan C.

Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

<tvi6ju$ipl$2@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=110&group=alt.bbs#110

From: wb8foz@panix.com (David Lesher)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers,alt.bbs
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 18:43:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: David Lesher - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 18:43 UTC

John Levine <johnl@taugh.com> writes:

>So in this case I think it's "communist" in the sense of "poopyhead".

I had a face to face confrontation with Stallman on the
'GNU/Linux' issue. I told him that if and when Linus, Bob Young,
and Marc Ewing called it that, I would as well. He stomped off.
--
A host is a host from coast to coast...............wb8foz@panix.com

Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

<tvrin2$34i1f$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=111&group=alt.bbs#111

From: mo01@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers,alt.bbs
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 10:04:50 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Mon, 27 Mar 2023 08:04 UTC

Am 15.02.2023 um 05:25:22 Uhr schrieb Citadel BBS History:

> Our official position is that the phrase "GNU/Linux"
> is only used by communists like Richard Stallman who contribute
> little more than noise and friction to the open source community."

This is BS - RMS stands for freedom in software development and usage -
communism isn't freedom at all.

Nobody is forced to use or develop free software.

Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

<QXjUL.2039730$gs1.211196@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=112&group=alt.bbs#112

Followup: alt.folklore.computers
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers,alt.bbs
From: root@example.net (johnson)
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 16:59:28 GMT
 by: johnson - Mon, 27 Mar 2023 16:59 UTC

["Followup-To:" header set to alt.folklore.computers.]
On 2023-03-27, Marco Moock <mo01@posteo.de> wrote:
> Am 15.02.2023 um 05:25:22 Uhr schrieb Citadel BBS History:
>
>> Our official position is that the phrase "GNU/Linux"
>> is only used by communists like Richard Stallman who contribute
>> little more than noise and friction to the open source community."
>
> This is BS - RMS stands for freedom in software development and usage -
> communism isn't freedom at all.
>
> Nobody is forced to use or develop free software.

well said, that man

Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

<tvtio2$7vq$1@news.cyber23.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=113&group=alt.bbs#113

From: schliessmuskel@einbrecher.invalid (Arschraub Bosartig)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers,alt.bbs
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 02:17:38 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Arschraub Bosartig - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 02:17 UTC

On 3/27/23 03:04, Marco Moock wrote:
> Am 15.02.2023 um 05:25:22 Uhr schrieb Citadel BBS History:
>
>> Our official position is that the phrase "GNU/Linux"
>> is only used by communists like Richard Stallman who contribute
>> little more than noise and friction to the open source community."
>
> This is BS - RMS stands for freedom in software development and usage -
> communism isn't freedom at all.

Nein. RMS is a pinko. RMS stands for the freedom of big companies and
his pinko hacker friends to use your free software, make mountains of
money, and pay you nothing for it. That's what the GPL is really about.
It is about their freedom to use you, not your freedom as a creator.

> Nobody is forced to use or develop free software.

If you don't have a free software repository online you will not have an
easy time finding a job in the stack monkey market. You are forced
create free software if you want to be considered for jobs. Most
employers I know of want to see your public github repo. So RMS and his
GPL have millions of programmers donating free code to Microsoft's
GitHub, the biggest proprietary, non-free software maker in the world.

His "free software" movement has myriads of programmers writing software
for free that the corporations use to make money. Free software ideology
is basically a free-of-charge labor racket dressed up in slogans. That's
communism.

Others with a brain realize this as well:

"RMS wants all software to be GPL, which not only requires source code
and permits modification but also permits redistribution. So basically
it allows others "pirate your product", at least compared to commercial
licenses. So you're gonna be dependent on donations, which (if anything)
keep you at the bare minimum for the project to survive, 99% of the
time. De facto, he is against making money from software (as well as
online services, btw)." --k0defix (reddit)

Then others without a brain blurt insanity like this:

"No, because if he was a Communist, he would not insist that people can
package free software and sell it." --johncate73 (reddit)

But he insists that the original author must permit anyone else to
package and sell his creation, without compensation. That's communism.

--
Arschraub Bosartig

!furzen!tuten!hupen!poopen!kacke!kinderficker

Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

<20230328081639.c2fbbad7bb0e630e0da0baab@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=114&group=alt.bbs#114

From: steveo@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers,alt.bbs
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 08:16:39 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 07:16 UTC

On Tue, 28 Mar 2023 02:17:38 -0000 (UTC)
Arschraub Bosartig <schliessmuskel@einbrecher.invalid> wrote:

> If you don't have a free software repository online you will not have an
> easy time finding a job in the stack monkey market. You are forced
> create free software if you want to be considered for jobs.

This is not true, I have been continuously employed as a software
developer since 1982, always moving upwards, never having trouble getting
employment and at 63 I regularly get messages from recruiters (I've been
turning down Google, Amazon and Facebook/Meta for years). I have never
published any free software other than small contribution to existing
projects, I certainly don't have a github repo.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

<slrnu25l5d.27e.jj@iridium.wf32df>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=115&group=alt.bbs#115

Followup: alt.folklore.computers
From: jj@franjam.org.uk (Jim Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers,alt.bbs
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 11:51:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jim Jackson - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 11:51 UTC

On 2023-03-28, Arschraub Bosartig <schliessmuskel@einbrecher.invalid> wrote:
> His "free software" movement has myriads of programmers writing software
> for free that the corporations use to make money. Free software ideology
> is basically a free-of-charge labor racket dressed up in slogans. That's
> communism.

Wow that's communism is it. When is it time for your meds?

> "No, because if he was a Communist, he would not insist that people can
> package free software and sell it." --johncate73 (reddit)
>
> But he insists that the original author must permit anyone else to
> package and sell his creation, without compensation. That's communism.

He doesn't _insist_ . As a writer of software you can choose
any license you fancy - from propriety ones to a miriad of open source
ones.

I assume you are equally down on all other open source licenses????

Jeeze you are brain dead.

Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

<slrnu25l7s.27e.jj@iridium.wf32df>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=116&group=alt.bbs#116

From: jj@franjam.org.uk (Jim Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers,alt.bbs
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 11:52:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jim Jackson - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 11:52 UTC

On 2023-03-28, Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Mar 2023 02:17:38 -0000 (UTC)
> Arschraub Bosartig <schliessmuskel@einbrecher.invalid> wrote:
>
>> If you don't have a free software repository online you will not have an
>> easy time finding a job in the stack monkey market. You are forced
>> create free software if you want to be considered for jobs.
>
> This is not true, I have been continuously employed as a software
> developer since 1982, always moving upwards, never having trouble getting
> employment and at 63 I regularly get messages from recruiters (I've been
> turning down Google, Amazon and Facebook/Meta for years). I have never
> published any free software other than small contribution to existing
> projects, I certainly don't have a github repo.

Like everything else he says - it doesn't make sense.

Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

<p4k62ilk5bpvjhg6a32j43kboif56b2hrl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=117&group=alt.bbs#117

From: chucktheouch@gmnol.com (D.J.)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers,alt.bbs
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 15:40:15 -0500
 by: D.J. - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 20:40 UTC

On Tue, 28 Mar 2023 08:16:39 +0100, Ahem A Rivet's Shot
<steveo@eircom.net> wrote:
>On Tue, 28 Mar 2023 02:17:38 -0000 (UTC)
>Arschraub Bosartig <schliessmuskel@einbrecher.invalid> wrote:
>
>> If you don't have a free software repository online you will not have an
>> easy time finding a job in the stack monkey market. You are forced
>> create free software if you want to be considered for jobs.
>
> This is not true, I have been continuously employed as a software
>developer since 1982, always moving upwards, never having trouble getting
>employment and at 63 I regularly get messages from recruiters (I've been
>turning down Google, Amazon and Facebook/Meta for years). I have never
>published any free software other than small contribution to existing
>projects, I certainly don't have a github repo.

I think he is just a troll you are replying to.
--
Jim

Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

<u09oua$1vcjh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=118&group=alt.bbs#118

From: mo01@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers,alt.bbs
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2023 19:16:58 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Sat, 1 Apr 2023 17:16 UTC

Am 28.03.2023 um 02:17:38 Uhr schrieb Arschraub Bosartig:

> "RMS wants all software to be GPL, which not only requires source
> code and permits modification but also permits redistribution. So
> basically it allows others "pirate your product", at least compared
> to commercial licenses. So you're gonna be dependent on donations,
> which (if anything) keep you at the bare minimum for the project to
> survive, 99% of the time. De facto, he is against making money from
> software (as well as online services, btw)." --k0defix (reddit)

That is BS - GPL does not restrict users to sell it.
Many companies like RedHat do that and give additional support for
money.

Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

<85bkjyzssp.fsf@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=119&group=alt.bbs#119

Followup: alt.folklore.computers
From: dnomhcir@gmx.com (Richmond)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers,alt.bbs
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2023 09:23:18 +0100
 by: Richmond - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 08:23 UTC

On the other hand, why should people be paid over and over again for the
same piece of work? Most people get paid by the hour for their
work. Copyright laws allow people to be paid even when they are
dead. Where is the sense in that?

And imagine if you had to pay for every bit of knowledge you ever
acquired because there was a copyright on it?

Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

<u3m19g$1pi7g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=120&group=alt.bbs#120

From: noreply@email.invalid (pseudonymous)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers,alt.bbs
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 21:41:52 +0300
 by: pseudonymous - Fri, 12 May 2023 18:41 UTC

On 2/15/23 13:25, Citadel BBS History wrote:
> "This document makes reference to the terms "Linux" and "open source"
> without hesitation. Our official position is that the phrase "GNU/Linux"
> is only used by communists like Richard Stallman who contribute little
> more than noise and friction to the open source community."
>
> Citadel: a storied history
> https://www.citadel.org/citadel_past_present_and_future.html
>
> TLDR; Richard Stallman is a dishwatery pinko commie neanderthal.

Why don't you say "Linux" when you are talking about Android?

Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

<ucnsnk$2qf1o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=235&group=alt.bbs#235

From: dpirate@metalpunks.info (Deposite Pirate)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers,alt.bbs
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 19:02:44 +0200
 by: Deposite Pirate - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 17:02 UTC

On 2/15/23 12:25, Citadel BBS History wrote:
> TLDR; Richard Stallman is a dishwatery pinko commie neanderthal.

Hey buster, go easy on the hamburgers and coca cola. You're going to
have a heart attack.

Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

<00000102@net396.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=256&group=alt.bbs#256

From: @p0.f45.n396.z1[ASC46]fidonet[.]org (Marc Lewis)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2024 22:31:55
 by: Marc Lewis - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 22:31 UTC

+ User FidoNet address: 1:396/45
Hello All.

<On 14Feb2024 19:58 Oh So Gross! wrote a message to All regarding Re: Richard
Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene >

OSG> He tells us what he thinks about. Richard Stallman Quotes:

OSG> "I am skeptical of the claim that voluntarily pedophilia harms
OSG> children. The arguments that it causes harm seem to be based on
OSG> cases which aren't voluntary, which are then stretched by parents
OSG> who are horrified by the idea that their little baby is
OSG> maturing."

Oh my! What perverted crap! To being with, you've certainly picked the wrong
newsgroup to post this sort of rubbish. Too bad it's not a moderated group!

Best regards,
Marc

... A crisis is when you can't say "Let's forget the whole thing."
+ The FidoNet News Gate (Huntsville, AL - USA) +
+ The views of this user are strictly his or her own. +