From: tkoenig@netcologne.de (Thomas Koenig)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.fortran,alt.folklore.computers
Subject: Option to cut off digits in old Fortran compiler
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 20:36:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Thomas Koenig - Tue, 23 Aug 2022 20:36 UTC

[x-post, f'up]

When I worked on a Siemens/Fujitsu mainframe running BS3000, an MVS
clone, the Fortran 77 compiler had a switch to reduce the accuracy
of floating point calculations in order to find numerical problems.

The compiler closely followed IBM Fortran compilers (little
surprise there), even in debatable things like the AT statement,
a variant of COME FROM, but only for debugging. I wonder how
many programs only worked with this enabled... but I digress.

Did Fujitsu copy the precision reducdtion feature from IBM?

Re: Option to cut off digits in old Fortran compiler

<te3h3j$1127$1@gal.iecc.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6463&group=alt.folklore.computers#6463

From: johnl@taugh.com (John Levine)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 21:33:39 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: johnl@iecc.com (John Levine)
 by: John Levine - Tue, 23 Aug 2022 21:33 UTC

According to Thomas Koenig <tkoenig@netcologne.de>:
w>Did Fujitsu copy the precision reducdtion feature from IBM?

Maybe. The 360/44 had a knob on the console to control how many digits
long floating point used. They said it was to speed up calculations.

--
Regards,
John Levine, johnl@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",

Re: Option to cut off digits in old Fortran compiler

<te51sl$3a6vj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6464&group=alt.folklore.computers#6464

From: headstone255@yahoo.com (gareth evans)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 12:26:12 +0100
 by: gareth evans - Wed, 24 Aug 2022 11:26 UTC

On 23/08/2022 21:36, Thomas Koenig wrote:
> [x-post, f'up]
>
> When I worked on a Siemens/Fujitsu mainframe running BS3000, an MVS
> clone, the Fortran 77 compiler had a switch to reduce the accuracy
> of floating point calculations in order to find numerical problems.
>
> The compiler closely followed IBM Fortran compilers (little
> surprise there), even in debatable things like the AT statement,
> a variant of COME FROM, but only for debugging. I wonder how
> many programs only worked with this enabled... but I digress.
>
> Did Fujitsu copy the precision reducdtion feature from IBM?

Wasn't Fujitsu the supplier to the Brit Post Office of the
Horizon computer system where a multitude of numerical
inaccuracies resulted in a large number of innocent
postmasters being prosecuted for fraud?

Re: Option to cut off digits in old Fortran compiler

<slrntgca38.2m1in.andyl@azaal.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6465&group=alt.folklore.computers#6465

Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
From: andyl@azaal.plus.com (Andy Leighton)
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 13:30:49 +0000
 by: Andy Leighton - Wed, 24 Aug 2022 13:30 UTC

On Wed, 24 Aug 2022 12:26:12 +0100, gareth evans <headstone255@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 23/08/2022 21:36, Thomas Koenig wrote:
>> [x-post, f'up]
>>
>> When I worked on a Siemens/Fujitsu mainframe running BS3000, an MVS
>> clone, the Fortran 77 compiler had a switch to reduce the accuracy
>> of floating point calculations in order to find numerical problems.
>>
>> The compiler closely followed IBM Fortran compilers (little
>> surprise there), even in debatable things like the AT statement,
>> a variant of COME FROM, but only for debugging. I wonder how
>> many programs only worked with this enabled... but I digress.
>>
>> Did Fujitsu copy the precision reducdtion feature from IBM?
>>

> Wasn't Fujitsu the supplier to the Brit Post Office of the
> Horizon computer system where a multitude of numerical
> inaccuracies resulted in a large number of innocent
> postmasters being prosecuted for fraud?

Yes - and they have so far escaped litigation over it.

--
Andy Leighton => andyl@azaal.plus.com
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

computers / alt.folklore.computers / Option to cut off digits in old Fortran compiler