From: pinnerite@gmail.com (eternal.septemer)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: printing multiple copies
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 12:45:36 +0100
 by: eternal.septemer - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 11:45 UTC

On Wed, 30 Nov 2022 19:10:53 +0000
Mike Scott <usenet.16@scottsonline.org.uk.invalid> wrote:

> A long-standing and very annoying problem here.
>
> With the default .ppd file for my Brother printer, the number of copies
> is ignored (whether from the print dialogue or using 'lpr -#'. The fix
> is out there on the net - change "true" to "True" (could you make it
> up?) in the "cupsManualCopies" entry in the ppd.
>
> The only snag is that a new ppd arrives from out of the ether whenever
> cups restarts (eg boot time): any change only stays on manually
> installed printers.
>
> Is there a fix for this? I can't find where the ppd's are loaded from -
> can anyone help please?

Years of experience with Brother printers under Linux have taught me always to go to:

https://www.brother.co.uk/support/drivers

Enter your model number, select .deb and continue to a happy life.

I always save the resultant ppd from /etc/cups/ppd to a folder in my /home/me/useful-bits directory to save future hassle.

HTH

Regards, Alan

Re: printing multiple copies

<u8tstp$c669$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6423&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6423

From: usenet.16@scottsonline.org.uk.invalid (Mike Scott)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 11:37:45 +0100
 by: Mike Scott - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 10:37 UTC

On 14/07/2023 12:45, eternal.septemer wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Nov 2022 19:10:53 +0000
> Mike Scott <usenet.16@scottsonline.org.uk.invalid> wrote:
>
>> A long-standing and very annoying problem here.
>>
>> With the default .ppd file for my Brother printer, the number of copies
>> is ignored (whether from the print dialogue or using 'lpr -#'. The fix
>> is out there on the net - change "true" to "True" (could you make it
>> up?) in the "cupsManualCopies" entry in the ppd.
>>
>> The only snag is that a new ppd arrives from out of the ether whenever
>> cups restarts (eg boot time): any change only stays on manually
>> installed printers.
>>
>> Is there a fix for this? I can't find where the ppd's are loaded from -
>> can anyone help please?
>>

> Years of experience with Brother printers under Linux have taught me always to go to:
>
> https://www.brother.co.uk/support/drivers
>
> Enter your model number, select .deb and continue to a happy life.
>
> I always save the resultant ppd from /etc/cups/ppd to a folder in my /home/me/useful-bits directory to save future hassle.
>
> HTH
>
> Regards, Alan

Thanks. I thought the thread had died a death :}

In practice, I now ignore the cups automatically installed printer, and
have a manually installed item, with the ppd I've corrected. Annoying,
but it works and the ppd stays put.

Still quite slow though to get going; an ongoing irritation I seem to
recall from a while back when I did indeed use Brother's packaged drivers.

--
Mike Scott
Harlow, England