From: Tommy@aol.com (Tommy)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Subject: Is it possible to Use Goggle Gmail with the Alpine email client?
Date: 19 Dec 2023 06:00:04 GMT
 by: Tommy - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 06:00 UTC

I would like to start using Alpine email with Linux Mint, but I don't know
how to set it up to send email and receive email. Is there a comphrensive
web page that gives step by step instructions.

Thunderbird on my machine is crashing and I think it is because I have
1 GB of email on Google Gmail.

TIA

Tommy.

Re: Is it possible to Use Goggle Gmail with the Alpine email client?

<ulre4h$3uf0r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=638&group=comp.mail.pine#638

From: ahk@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 06:44:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 06:44 UTC

Tommy <Tommy@aol.com> wrote:

>I would like to start using Alpine email with Linux Mint, but I don't know
>how to set it up to send email and receive email. Is there a comphrensive
>web page that gives step by step instructions.

>Thunderbird on my machine is crashing and I think it is because I have
>1 GB of email on Google Gmail.

Eduardo Chappa, our programmer without whom alpine would be abandonware,
maintains a Web page. Help text links are in the right hand column.

https://alpineapp.email/

Not every new version of software gets packaged quickly. The Debian
package is one version behind. You might compile Alpine 2.26 yourself
and not wait for the Debian package, since there's new Gmail support.

Read Eduardo's help text on compiling.

Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu which is in turn based on Debian, and you
can use packages from either repository. Again, it's one version behind.

Once you've got alpine compiled, or if you use the Debian 2.25 package,
you use the built-in editor for the .pinerc config file, accessed from
the M main screen S then C. Yes, there are a lot of options, but every
single option is documented. Use CTRL G to read the documentation for
each option.

At a minimum, set User Domain, SMTP Server, and Inbox Path.

If you intend to send with multiple email address on From, then look
into S R R to setup roles. If your email addresses are on different
servres, then you'll set the SMTP server per role.

This program is decently documented, as it began life as the first email
program college kids as UWash would likely use.

Yes, it is possible to use with Gmail. I've been using it for Gmail for
years. In olden days, it was incredibly difficult getting it to work
with pseudofolders that Gmail tags represent. Eduardo has put a lot of
effort in over the years to make it easier to use with Gmail.

I'm using it with an app password, so I get nagged on the Google
security page about giving privileges to a non-Google app. I think I did
get OAUTH2 to work but I found it easier to use the app password.

Welcome to reading email from your shell account and not a GUI as ghod
intended.

Re: Is it possible to Use Goggle Gmail with the Alpine email client?

<32b95kxgm4.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=639&group=comp.mail.pine#639

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 21:29:23 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 20:29 UTC

On 2023-12-19 07:00, Tommy wrote:
> I would like to start using Alpine email with Linux Mint, but I don't know
> how to set it up to send email and receive email. Is there a comphrensive
> web page that gives step by step instructions.
>
> Thunderbird on my machine is crashing and I think it is because I have
> 1 GB of email on Google Gmail.

I have way more mail than that and it doesn't crash.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Is it possible to Use Goggle Gmail with the Alpine email client?

<ult15e$6vap$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=640&group=comp.mail.pine#640

From: ahk@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 21:15:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 21:15 UTC

Carlos E.R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>On 2023-12-19 07:00, Tommy wrote:

>>I would like to start using Alpine email with Linux Mint, but I don't know
>>how to set it up to send email and receive email. Is there a comphrensive
>>web page that gives step by step instructions.

>>Thunderbird on my machine is crashing and I think it is because I have
>>1 GB of email on Google Gmail.

>I have way more mail than that and it doesn't crash.

I know. Right? And some day, I will catch up on all those unread messages
set aside from mailing lists I subscribe to.